• Podcast: Jason Taylor   

• Podcast: Jason Taylor   

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will miss being able to turn up to the MCC members late and still get a good seat, though.

Talk of Round 1 Pies v Dee’s on Friday night as a blockbuster. Reported in the press a month or two ago.

The drip feed of the fixture including the hints as to who will play when (I see North are now confirmed for Good Friday against either Essendon or Richmond) is so amusing. This desire of the AFL

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I don’t understand your gripe.

A season is 23 weeks. Not just round 1.

If we end up having 0 Friday night games then I’ll sympathise with you.

We will have more night games for sure. I was expecting to play another top eight side. That’s all. I can express an opinion, your entitled not to agree with it.

Also I might add that as I am getting older I would prefer day games any day of the week.

18 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

So you're basing how we're being 'repaid' for making a Prelim on Round 1?

I'd suggest we will get more prime time games, such as Friday and Saturday nights, throughout the 2019 season.  It's a bit short sighted to suggest otherwise just going on our Round 1 fixture.

This year bought hope along with it expectation. Mine was, round one versus another 2018 top eight team. We didn’t get it I move on. 

However I am entitled to give an opinion. Your entitled not to agree with it.

Your positivity often helps me balance out my negativity. 

Cheers.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Deevout said:

This year bought hope along with it expectation. Mine was, round one versus another 2018 top eight team. We didn’t get it I move on. 

However I am entitled to give an opinion. Your entitled not to agree with it.

Your positivity often helps me balance out my negativity. 

Cheers.

I agree with you. I think this was an opportunity for the AFL to showcase an up and coming powerhouse and they've fluffed it.

Wasn't the talk that Pies wanted us in round one? They can see what's happening and wanted in. Instead they've given them the Cats and we've all but missed out. The Pies will make money from their home game, will we?

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Pates said:

Two schools of thought on the round one fixture vs Port.

Positive side:

- home game to start the year (always what you want)

- against an interstate team provides greater opportunity for a win

- potentially fly under the radar a little bit which can be good early in the year

Negative side:

- shafted commercially to start to year makes us less attractive to sponsors, 1pm timeslot is a dead timeslot on pay TV

- though an interstate team against us at the G provides a great opportunity for a win, I would prefer kicking the year off against a tough Melbourne team to get us in the big game frame of mind. A loss could also get us front and centre for a bollocking from the media

- AFL (and us) have missed a really good opportunity to build on what a great round one we had last year. Great crowd, two Vic teams, traditional rivals, we played two ripper games and a final with 90k+. I would’ve thought Cats v Dees Saturday arvo/night would be a great thing to build on

This is the biggest downside to me.  The MFC needs to capitalise financialy during any period of sucess and gate takings are one good revenue stream.  A game against practically any Victorian team would draw a much better crowd than Port.  Yes we get to play other Victorian teams over the course of the season, but generally Rd 1 draws a bigger crowd in it's own right.

MFC supporters need to get to this game on mass and create a cauldron like atmosphere, to make sure we get half a dozen cheap free kicks like Port did at their dung heap this season , just to make well and truly sure we get over the line.

Get the win and hopefully we build the crowds throughout the season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Just hurry up and release the whole bloody draw, I want to start making some travel plans for 2019.

Does anyone know when the AFL are releasing it?

Last year it was October 31, about a week after they announced the round 1 fixture. 

• Thanks 1

We would have likely scored Port at the MCG at some point anyway but it's still not ideal. Geelong on a friday night at the MCG....YAAAAAAWN. Not great scheduling.

And then Bulldogs v Sydney as the primetime game on the Saturday night? GIVE ME A BREAK!

Regardless, I think we'll get 50k in round 1.

• Like 1

Port is not a good start to the season financially.  We will probably lose money or barely break even.

Last year the majority of our Home games at the G were against i/state teams or small Vic teams both of which are terrible for our Revenue.  Add to that our two Home games in NT and our revenue from Home games becomes rather meagre.  In 2019 we will be relying on the QB vs Coll games to top up the coffers (ANZAC Eve is Away). 

Oh, and please no more gifting Carlton and Essendon 4 - 6 Home games each at the G.  It is not their home ground.  Let them play at Marvel!!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

Every game will be a danger game as we become the hunted. To be honest, I don’t care who we play, when or where - as long as we win lots and lots of them. The commercial side will look after itself if we do that. Quite possibly, an opener in March against Port will draw a lot more people than a cold afternoon or evening in the middle of winter against the same mob.

Edited by Call Me What You Will
Clarify meaning
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, Call Me What You Will said:

Every game will be a danger game as we become the hunted. To be honest, I don’t care who we play, when or where - as long as we win lots and lots of them. The commercial side will look after itself if we do that. Quite possibly, an opener in March against Port will draw a lot more people than a cold afternoon or evening in the middle of winter against the same mob.

I'm not so sure it will.  Remember we are now out of pokies so that revenue is gone. 

Sure, winning games will bring out our demon fans but not i/state fans and we need big crowds to boost revenue and to keep Home games at the G which means a decent number of opposition fans.   

Home games vs Port, GWS, GCS, Freo, StK, North, Syd, Brisb just aren't going to fill the seats and help us financially (and fund things like new facilities).  We have now earnt the right to get a decent fixture that will help us financially and our Home game opponents is a key part of that.

• Like 3

The AGE:  "The AFL...is set to reveal the full fixture on Wednesday"

The Easter/ANZAC fixturing will be interesting to see which of the 4 ANZAC game teams get advantaged.  Ess have pushed for a new time slot - Good Friday Eve game vs Carlton.  So Ess will have the biggest advantage over that period.  As we play them after ANZAC Eve I'm preparing for disappointing news on length of our breaks between games.   Hopefully, we play Easter Saturday afternoon.

It could be just me but it doesn’t seem an exciting opening round overall for the neutral unless Dylan Shiel receives a hostile reception at Spotless, highly doubtful though. 

Was hoping for a ‘bigger’ opener for us, oh well. Welcome back Jack(s).

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Port is not a good start to the season financially.  We will probably lose money or barely break even.

Last year the majority of our Home games at the G were against i/state teams or small Vic teams both of which are terrible for our Revenue.  Add to that our two Home games in NT and our revenue from Home games becomes rather meagre.  In 2019 we will be relying on the QB vs Coll games to top up the coffers (ANZAC Eve is Away). 

Oh, and please no more gifting Carlton and Essendon 4 - 6 Home games each at the G.  It is not their home ground.  Let them play at Marvel!!

Crazy talk. To lose money on an MCG home game you need a sub-23k crowd. We'll get 45k-50k imo.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, President Dee Trump said:

As usual Collingwood don’t have to play Geelong in Geelong. Yes, the rationale would be that the crowd will be bigger at the MCG (ie financial). By that logic, Collingwood should play every game at the MCG.

I call B$!!!!

And you can be sure we will play the cats once and it will be in Geelong.

The annoying thing is we will have two days less turnaround over the first 4 weeks than Richmond before ANZAC eve.  We’ll have 3 6 day breaks, Richmond 1.  Same re Collingwood and Essendon. No surprise to see the AFL favour Richmond and Collingwood there.... They know revenue will be great if they have good seasons...

13 hours ago, Matt Demon said:

Port round 1, Saturday 1.45pm MCG.

so we get the relatively dead non FTA TV slot against an interstate team....

Obviously the AFL love the new MFC.

Amazing.. little wonder we have some trouble attracting premium sponsors

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

Well we won't be getting an 80,000+ crowd for the season opener although we at least aren't playing away from home.  We might get 35k up to 50k to the Port opener however on the back of winning 2 of 3 finals in the just completed season. 

Hopefully we get a couple of decent blockbuster home games before the QB clash ... it should be noted that we will be the away team next season in the ANZAC eve game against Richmond.

Our crowds should generally be on the improve as long as we maintain our winning form so our financial concerns have dissipated somewhat anyway in that regard. 

What we do need is a big spike in prime-time games on free-to-air TV ... which is related to the potential sponsorship dollars moving forward.  We are now ready for the big stage but we're fighting against the endemic thinking that rewards the Victorian clubs with huge memberships  and extra-large supporter numbers. 

• Like 2

Im happy with this, Saturday afternoon at the G. Id rather play at home than away. We will get a good crowd because we are coming off a great season with some standout finals wins, there will be expectations and I want to see how our new recruits go. 

35-40k is the likely crowd unless we can get some hype around the game.

Port supporters aren't known for travelling and the MCC/AFL theatre goers will have better MCG games to attend on the Thursday and Friday night.

The  last round game against GWS is perhaps a good pointer.... 37k