Jump to content

Tinks

The Harley Bennell Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

Correct DC.  I've allowed 7 weeks up there as a super rough guesstimate for a soft load up from the 3rd.  And that's just to ease him to a level needed to be ready to start an adjusted pre-season.

well who knows

if (and it's a big if) his ops have fixed his problems.....

then mid season seems pessimistic, and start of season sounds too optimistic

so, in between......take your best bet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

What confirmation are you actually looking for?

The latest I read was that he was invited to train with us starting December 3rd?

It's in his best interests to not train with anyone before that date to leave his options open at other clubs and be able to sign as a delisted free agent at any club.

I’m not sure of the formality of it all, but I was told by a person connected to the club that he 100% wants to come to us. He has said to the club he’d like to be selected by us. The powers that be are weighing up a few things before committing to him. There was no problem with his medical. So what they are weighing up is most likely whether he is committed and willing to be disciplined off field. 

He can be added as late as February and I am informed he will be invited to train over summer, with a view to pick him up later on. That is what I have been told and the source is very reliable. 

He is ours if we want him, but we won’t be rushed on making the call. 

I am sorry if someone has posted similar info, I couldn’t be bothered reading back over the last few pages. 

  • Like 26
  • Thanks 7
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

People have mentioned Bennell is linked to Martin. I am out of the loop - would Martin come because he is mates with Bennell? Is this the jist of it? Does Martin have no other mates playing elsewhere? Is it a special type of relationship? I am confused.

I wouldn't be paying too much attention to what all the armchair experts are saying

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Engorged Onion said:

People have mentioned Bennell is linked to Martin. I am out of the loop - would Martin come because he is mates with Bennell? Is this the jist of it? Does Martin have no other mates playing elsewhere? Is it a special type of relationship? I am confused.

No Martin has only ever had 2 mates in his entire life. May and Bennell.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Engorged Onion said:

People have mentioned Bennell is linked to Martin. I am out of the loop - would Martin come because he is mates with Bennell? Is this the jist of it? Does Martin have no other mates playing elsewhere? Is it a special type of relationship? I am confused.

Not sure if anyone has forwarded knowledge of any special relationship. 

But the speculation is probably due to Martin citing Betts as a factor in his determination to get to the Blues. 

If he's deciding his future on such a triviality, it adds weight that he may be swayed by a friend's recruit elsewhere. 

Just guessing here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Not sure if anyone has forwarded knowledge of any special relationship. 

But the speculation is probably due to Martin citing Betts as a factor in his determination to get to the Blues. 

If he's deciding his future on such a triviality, it adds weight that he may be swayed by a friend's recruit elsewhere. 

Just guessing here. 

Isn't THAT just the operative word. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

I’m not sure of the formality of it all, but I was told by a person connected to the club that he 100% wants to come to us. He has said to the club he’d like to be selected by us. The powers that be are weighing up a few things before committing to him. There was no problem with his medical. So what they are weighing up is most likely whether he is committed and willing to be disciplined off field. 

He can be added as late as February and I am informed he will be invited to train over summer, with a view to pick him up later on. That is what I have been told and the source is very reliable. 

He is ours if we want him, but we won’t be rushed on making the call. 

I am sorry if someone has posted similar info, I couldn’t be bothered reading back over the last few pages. 

I'm not sure if anyone here can shed some light into how good your mail has been in the past but it sounds positive from our end if true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW - Got it from the very top of medical today. They were asked to have a look at him and believe they are a chance to get him right. Still a 50/50 proposition once the loads begin

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that you say that. I was told that the club were surprised by the medical - that the procedure he had in June/July seemed to have left his underdone calves in better shape than they expected.

Apparently some scar tissue was removed and a nerve issue was identified that can be treated potentially. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Norm Smith's Curse said:

Interesting that you say that. I was told that the club were surprised by the medical - that the procedure he had in June/July seemed to have left his underdone calves in better shape than they expected.

Apparently some scar tissue was removed and a nerve issue was identified that can be treated potentially. 

Would love to know how the nerves are or were being impacted etc.  Not that i am expecting to know as i'm certainly no expert but in my travels i've never heard of this lower leg nerve / muscle impact issue before.

Debilitating sciatica & lower back pain etc is common but this seems like one out of the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So are we still a legitimate chance? Haven't heard anything since he went back to Perth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pates said:

I'm not sure if anyone here can shed some light into how good your mail has been in the past but it sounds positive from our end if true.

I’ve got a good track record and knew a lot about what was going on with Hogan and the reasons why Watts was traded. Posted it weeks before and also exposed some of what Hogan was getting up to, but the mods accused me of running the risk of defamation, even though everything I said was completely true and later proven to be. 

I don’t really care who believes what I post or not. I work in a job where I meet a lot of people connected to the AFL. The source is reliable and I have no reason to doubt his info. 

I am also reliably informed that Frost was traded due to his poor work ethic at training and constant negativity. Apparently he’d be mentally cooked at 3/4 time on game day and hated the feedback he’d get. He would inevitably have poor last quarters. Apparently a really negative bloke, who was beginning to rub off on the younger players. 

  • Like 26
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

I’ve got a good track record and knew a lot about what was going on with Hogan and the reasons why Watts was traded. Posted it weeks before and also exposed some of what Hogan was getting up to, but the mods accused me of running the risk of defamation, even though everything I said was completely true and later proven to be. 

I don’t really care who believes what I post or not. I work in a job where I meet a lot of people connected to the AFL. The source is reliable and I have no reason to doubt his info. 

I am also reliably informed that Frost was traded due to his poor work ethic at training and constant negativity. Apparently he’d be mentally cooked at 3/4 time on game day and hated the feedback he’d get. He would inevitably have poor last quarters. Apparently a really negative bloke, who was beginning to rub off on the younger players. 

Good stuff mate, not doubting your sources and always happy to get solid mail in at DLand!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

I’ve got a good track record and knew a lot about what was going on with Hogan and the reasons why Watts was traded. Posted it weeks before and also exposed some of what Hogan was getting up to, but the mods accused me of running the risk of defamation, even though everything I said was completely true and later proven to be. 

I don’t really care who believes what I post or not. I work in a job where I meet a lot of people connected to the AFL. The source is reliable and I have no reason to doubt his info. 

I am also reliably informed that Frost was traded due to his poor work ethic at training and constant negativity. Apparently he’d be mentally cooked at 3/4 time on game day and hated the feedback he’d get. He would inevitably have poor last quarters. Apparently a really negative bloke, who was beginning to rub off on the younger players. 

I for one appreciate your insights Leoncelli-36 and have no doubt you are reporting truth and agree with your comments on Mr Hogan and Watts.No need to go into this any more as is history.We all move on. I trust we as a club have done a thorough check on Bennell and if they believe he can play and get back to some of his best form then I will back them until the cows come home. He will be a valuable player for us if he can get fit and ready to play AFL again. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

I am also reliably informed that Frost was traded due to his poor work ethic at training and constant negativity. Apparently he’d be mentally cooked at 3/4 time on game day and hated the feedback he’d get. He would inevitably have poor last quarters. Apparently a really negative bloke, who was beginning to rub off on the younger players. 

Someone else also posted something negative about Frost during trade week.

If true, I can’t see Frost having much of a career at Hawthorn with the standards their coach requires.

I always thought Frost came across as a humble kind of guy that would be the last person that would cause a problem at a footy club.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

I’m not sure of the formality of it all, but I was told by a person connected to the club that he 100% wants to come to us. He has said to the club he’d like to be selected by us. The powers that be are weighing up a few things before committing to him. There was no problem with his medical. So what they are weighing up is most likely whether he is committed and willing to be disciplined off field. 

He can be added as late as February and I am informed he will be invited to train over summer, with a view to pick him up later on. That is what I have been told and the source is very reliable. 

He is ours if we want him, but we won’t be rushed on making the call. 

I am sorry if someone has posted similar info, I couldn’t be bothered reading back over the last few pages. 

I have a tear in my eye.

I’m not quite sure why, but I desperately want to see this bloke in the red and the blue next year.

There just seems to be one of the truly great sports stories of all times potentially unfolding here - for both club and player.

Make it happen Josh.

 

PS. Have had a few Laphroaigs and have been watching Last Chance U on a Netflix. I love the underdog stuff - it makes for the best theatre in life.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I have a tear in my eye.

I’m not quite sure why, but I desperately want to see this bloke in the red and the blue next year.

There just seems to be one of the truly great sports stories of all times potentially unfolding here - for both club and player.

Make it happen Josh.

 

PS. Have had a few Laphroaigs and have been watching Last Chance U on a Netflix. I love the underdog stuff - it makes for the best theatre in life.

 

It feels like we've seen it happen to almost every other club (Saints being the only one I can't really think of), we've seen lots of players come back from adversity or a significant life event (whether or not it was self inflicted) and become valuable contributers to the teams success. I would dearly love to see that happen with us and Bennell.

Edited by Pates
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

I’ve got a good track record and knew a lot about what was going on with Hogan and the reasons why Watts was traded. Posted it weeks before and also exposed some of what Hogan was getting up to, but the mods accused me of running the risk of defamation, even though everything I said was completely true and later proven to be. 

I don’t really care who believes what I post or not. I work in a job where I meet a lot of people connected to the AFL. The source is reliable and I have no reason to doubt his info. 

I am also reliably informed that Frost was traded due to his poor work ethic at training and constant negativity. Apparently he’d be mentally cooked at 3/4 time on game day and hated the feedback he’d get. He would inevitably have poor last quarters. Apparently a really negative bloke, who was beginning to rub off on the younger players. 

Sam Defrost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

I am also reliably informed that Frost was traded ...

Shows once again how little we on the outside know of what's really going on inside the club, and of what's behind decisions that are being made.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he joins us I'm not at all concerned that he won't be ready to play until well into the season.  Hopefully we make finals and that is when we will need him the most.   

AvB in 2018 is the blue print for patience. He hadn't played for 2 years with an extensive injury history.  iirc he played a month at Casey, an AFL game or two at the end of the season and had an excellent finals series.  If we get only 8 games like that from Bennell at seasons end it will be fantastic.  (Not relevant to this thread but might just say it is so sad that Aaron's injuries have kept him out this year and really hope he gets back soon).

Glad to read the reports on the caution (ie due diligence) the club is taking before recruiting Bennell.

I would say that as soon as the club and Bennell agree that he will join us, Burgess will have a training program ready for him.  They won't wait for him to actually join the club on Dec 3 to get him rehabbing.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

If he joins us I'm not at all concerned that he won't be ready to play until well into the season.  Hopefully we make finals and that is when we will need him the most.   

AvB in 2018 is the blue print for patience. He hadn't played for 2 years with an extensive injury history.  iirc he played a month at Casey, an AFL game or two at the end of the season and had an excellent finals series.  If we get only 8 games like that from Bennell at seasons end it will be fantastic.  (Not relevant to this thread but might just say it is so sad that Aaron's injuries have kept him out this year and really hope he gets back soon).

Glad to read the reports on the caution (ie due diligence) the club is taking before recruiting Bennell.

I would say that as soon as the club and Bennell agree that he will join us, Burgess will have a training program ready for him.  They won't wait for him to actually join the club on Dec 3 to get him rehabbing.

already done.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If his preference is to join the club, I wonder how much of that would be down to Darren Burgess taking the role with the Dees?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost Monty Pythonesque. 

Bennell states his desire to join our club. 

We're then concerned about his mental state. 

  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Skuit said:

It's almost Monty Pythonesque. 

Bennell states his desire to join our club. 

We're then concerned about his mental state. 

The paradigm for any contemporary Demon supporter, questionable mental states.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

I’m not sure of the formality of it all, but I was told by a person connected to the club that he 100% wants to come to us. He has said to the club he’d like to be selected by us. The powers that be are weighing up a few things before committing to him. There was no problem with his medical. So what they are weighing up is most likely whether he is committed and willing to be disciplined off field. 

He can be added as late as February and I am informed he will be invited to train over summer, with a view to pick him up later on. That is what I have been told and the source is very reliable. 

He is ours if we want him, but we won’t be rushed on making the call. 

I am sorry if someone has posted similar info, I couldn’t be bothered reading back over the last few pages. 

Thanks for the info!

it is great to follow a proper footBall club, off field at least, that make sound reasoned decisions. Not making any desperate knee jerk moves. 

He will be made to prove himself off field and body wise and that is how it should be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...