Jump to content

  • Podcast: Draft Wrap Up w/Jason Taylor  

Tinks

The Harley Bennell Thread

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Watts the matter said:

What confirmation are you actually looking for?

The latest I read was that he was invited to train with us starting December 3rd?

It's in his best interests to not train with anyone before that date to leave his options open at other clubs and be able to sign as a delisted free agent at any club.

If Bennell is keen to get a kick in the AFL he is going to have a Pre-season run with an AFL club. Dee's have invited him and Burgess will assess how Bennell runs. You better believe other clubs will be sneaking a peak at him too when he does. 

If Bennell is a no show then we are not going to cry over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Youngwilliam said:

If Bennell is keen to get a kick in the AFL he is going to have a Pre-season run with an AFL club. Dee's have invited him and Burgess will assess how Bennell runs. You better believe other clubs will be sneaking a peak at him too when he does. 

If Bennell is a no show then we are not going to cry over it.

Yes, but he loses his right to choose a club if he trains before that date.

It would be a bad decision for him to train with a club prior to the draft, therefore, I wouldn't expect any action on this front for the next month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Watts the matter said:

Yes, but he loses his right to choose a club if he trains before that date.

It would be a bad decision for him to train with a club prior to the draft, therefore, I wouldn't expect any action on this front for the next month.

that's how i understand it.........unless some club wants to jump over the cliff and make an offer without seeing him train

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's to stop him getting a few mates from the amateurs or similar and they go for a serious kick at a local oval. Just so happens one of the mates drops the location on twitter the day before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

What's to stop him getting a few mates from the amateurs or similar and they go for a serious kick at a local oval. Just so happens one of the mates drops the location on twitter the day before. 

are you gen z? 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is...

He can start 'paid' training with us on the 3rd (or anytime for anyone for that matter from here on).  But assuming he starts (paid training) with us, we can select him for pre-season matches and also have the exclusive chance/choice of picking him up in the SSP. (ie; try before you buy).

His other option from today...

Randomly train for free with one or more clubs (obviously with an invite to do so), and IF he did, he then needs to nominate for the draft to be picked up by whoever (assuming one or more clubs are willing to do so after monitoring his progress etc).

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's unlikely to play in 2020 then what's the point? Would like some more info on his expected return now. Any doctors here that know the surgery details and likely recovery times? I'd just assumed he was ready to start training and play round 1?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SFebes said:

If he's unlikely to play in 2020 then what's the point? Would like some more info on his expected return now. Any doctors here that know the surgery details and likely recovery times? I'd just assumed he was ready to start training and play round 1?

well starting in dec3 means he doesn't have a full preseason. he also had 2nd op in September and hasn't trained since (at least not at any serious level). he also hasn't got much fitness base from the last 4 years. he'll also start in rehab, probably for more than 4 weeks.

now add all that up, and assume his ops successfully solve his calf problems,  there's no way he's ready to play round 1. when he is ready he'' need to prove match fitness and skills via casey

again, assuming ops successful, i'd guess his earliest start would be about 7 to 8 weeks into season. i think those speculating mid season are more pessimistic. so, let's say somewhere between round 7 and mid season for a senior debut

Edited by daisycutter
fixed up op date
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of him, but can he even run anymore? what's his base conditioning like (should we be treating him like a player out of the U18's and not plan to play him at all)? Happy to get as i don't think there is potential talent on list, expecting nothing, but if he manages to regain conditioning and can actually play well - well that's great (i.e. thinking trengrove at this stage and hope for pre injury Bennell).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the draft is compromised next year, then adding Bennell for 2021 may be a solid move!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Wunders said:

I like the idea of him, but can he even run anymore? what's his base conditioning like (should we be treating him like a player out of the U18's and not plan to play him at all)? Happy to get as i don't think there is potential talent on list, expecting nothing, but if he manages to regain conditioning and can actually play well - well that's great (i.e. thinking trengrove at this stage and hope for pre injury Bennell).

Stats from his past 10 WAFL matches.

 

 

 

6F4261FA-336F-4545-AE86-E02690715154.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offer him a rookie spot maybe.  see how passionate he really is. 

work in some targets to meet with a promise of a senior contract the following if met

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SFebes said:

If he's unlikely to play in 2020 then what's the point? Would like some more info on his expected return now. Any doctors here that know the surgery details and likely recovery times? I'd just assumed he was ready to start training and play round 1?

My very amature take >

If it takes 48 days to get over a grade 3 calf tear SF....add 2 to 3 weeks as it was surgery.  That's about 10.  When was his last opp?  DC says July although he had two rounds.  Was that his last round?

10 weeks from July...that's a full (standard citizen's) recovery by about mid Sept.  Are we safe to assume he might be fine to begin light loading nowish (ie: 6 weeks further on).

But lets say we are all wrong/dates are out on the last opp (recovery longer etc) and he wont be ready to do anything till 3rd Dec.

Add two to three weeks for initial loads.

Say another 4 to get him to a level ready for a full pre-season (and possibly a staggered stepped up one on a non-normal program over about 10 weeks to be super conservative).

Normal pre-season say approx 6 weeks.  Bennell's is say 10.

That's 17 weeks.(approx) from the 3rd.

That's about 31 March.

Then he would need to ease in at VFL level progressively.  Say 4 weeks.

Add say three weeks for a minor setback....

That puts him available at about 24th May Rnd 10 vs the Doggies on a Sunday.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

My very amature take >

If it takes 48 days to get over a grade 3 calf tear SF....add 2 to 3 weeks as it was surgery.  That's about 10.  When was his last opp?  DC says July although he had two rounds.  Was that his last round?

10 weeks from July...that's a full (standard citizen's) recovery by about mid Sept.  Are we safe to assume he might be fine to begin light loading nowish (ie: 6 weeks further on).

But lets say we are all wrong/dates are out on the last opp (recovery longer etc) and he wont be ready to do anything till 3rd Dec.

Add two to three weeks for initial loads.

Say another 4 to get him to a level ready for a full pre-season (and possibly a staggered stepped up one on a non-normal program over about 10 weeks to be super conservative).

Normal pre-season say approx 6 weeks.  Bennell's is say 10.

That's 17 weeks.(approx) from the 3rd.

That's about 31 March.

Then he would need to ease in at VFL level progressively.  Say 4 weeks.

Add say three weeks for a minor setback....

That puts him available at about 24th May Rnd 10 vs the Doggies on a Sunday.

sorry, july was 1st op. 2nd op was sept...................will try and edit prev post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 4:07 PM, Cheney said:

Massive risk with huge reward. At the end of the day we need to back our medicos and coaches to make a decision. Bennell could influence the decision of Jack Martin. Imagine both of those boys fit and firing in our forward line. 

If this is a potential sweetner to get Jack Martin over the line for the right price, then it could prove to be a very shrewd bit of business by the Dees.

Pending his operations and recovery all go according to plan.

Edited by Win4theAges
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

If this is a potential sweetner to get Jack Martin over the line for the right price, then it could prove to be a very shrewd bit of business by the Dees.

Not that I’m getting carried away... but Langdon, Tomlinson, Bennell, Martin, pick 3 and 8... that’s a pretty good trade/draft period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

sorry, july was 1st op. 2nd op was sept...................will try and edit prev post

That still puts him (roughly) in that ten week recovery window DC.  Maybe a few weeks short if he did happen to start with us on the 3rd Dec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rusty Nails said:

That still puts him (roughly) in that ten week recovery window DC.  Maybe a few weeks short if he did happen to start with us on the 3rd Dec.

maybe, if, the 10 weeks is applicable.......but then he is coming back with virtually no good fitness. he's still going to be quite underdone come dec 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, daisycutter said:

maybe, if, the 10 weeks is applicable.......but then he is coming back with virtually no good fitness. he's still going to be quite underdone come dec 3

Correct DC.  I've allowed 7 weeks up there as a super rough guesstimate for a soft load up from the 3rd.  And that's just to ease him to a level needed to be ready to start an adjusted pre-season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

maybe, if, the 10 weeks is applicable.......but then he is coming back with virtually no good fitness. he's still going to be quite underdone come dec 3

Those pies in the sky are storm clouds. Yes, we need the rain desperately but we don't need another injury-prone list dweller, I don't care how good he was in 2014...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

maybe, if, the 10 weeks is applicable.......but then he is coming back with virtually no good fitness. he's still going to be quite underdone come dec 3

If Harley is able to fully recover from his injury, with the talent he possesses, I'm happy for him to take as long as it takes to get him back on the park. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all for this. Very low risk if it doesn't work out. High reward if it does.

 

To put the risk factor into perspective how many players have come back from not playing for 4 years?  I can only think of Daniel Menzel who was great for a couple of years and then faded out. Although to be fair Bennell played 4 WAFL games this year and 6 last year so got through rehab both seasons to start playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Stats from his past 10 WAFL matches.

 

 

 

6F4261FA-336F-4545-AE86-E02690715154.png

Interesting numbers. Do they suggest he played the first 2 of his 4 games this year through the midfield, and the last 2 in the forward line? There's a massive drop off in the numbers there, perhaps he wasn't in the right shape to be playing those last 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Win4theAges said:

If this is a potential sweetner to get Jack Martin over the line for the right price, then it could prove to be a very shrewd bit of business by the Dees.

Pending his operations and recovery all go according to plan.

People have mentioned Bennell is linked to Martin. I am out of the loop - would Martin come because he is mates with Bennell? Is this the jist of it? Does Martin have no other mates playing elsewhere? Is it a special type of relationship? I am confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...