Jump to content

  • Podcast     

  • Podcast     

Farewell Jesse Hogan



Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

My best wishes to Jesse for a speedy recovery. 

At Melbourne he was the one player that inspired our recovery from a dismal side and the one player who first gave us supporters hope that we were on the right path to becoming a AFL force again.

And now, although at another club, I couldn’t be happier than to see him become the true champion that we all aspire him to be.

I concur completely. 

No matter what posters say, Jesse was a real talent who had too much pain and suffering heaped on him. Standing out for a year for being too young, losing another year to a back injury,  losing his dad, facing his own illness,  suffering a new injury and all by the age of 25.  All in public and it was not fair.

He kicked more than 2 goals a game and stood tall and won games as well. To those who maintain that his on field demeanour was not good enough I say it was - he used to express his disappointment with himself for all to see.

I wish him all the best for the future and hope that he becomes the champion player he is destined to become (except against us of course). I will always applaud his successes.

Someone should tell Niall to go and get ........! The club did its best for Jesse.

Go Jesse.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

he's been gone for days, but it's common knowledge in the playing group now. nothing less than two picks (one for May). also St Kilda offered Kent THREE TIMES $$ and years what we did. idiots.

thanks mate , I can tell you that Miss 11 and 13 was more upset , than my 7 year old , I guess as we also sponsored Jesse we had met with him many times personally and so on, It was hard for the kids

There is a miss conception by some on Demonland.  The preferred position by our FD is and has always been for JH to stay. Let me make this point with absolute and clear authority. I have been told dir

Posted Images


1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

 "...the Demons should not be too self-congratulatory, for one could argue if their environment didn't cause Hogan's issues, it didn't shrink them much either..."

That is a really cheap shot by Jack Niall.

The environment Jesse had:  a few months with Neeld in 2013 then PJ/ Roos/Goodwin/Mahoney.   A greater period of stability our club has not known.  Our culture wasn't great with Neeld but it changed rapidly.

Our club worked really hard to give him time out and protect him and his privacy through injuries and personal/family issues. 

Its a long bow to say our environment contributed - at least he wasn't getting into serious strife.  Who knows, had he stayed his off-season troubles may never have happened here.  Poor form by Niall to not recognise this.

I agree. Isn't it a journalist's duty to report facts, not give a slap to the club without any supporting evidence? I know through experience people with mental health issues can be given every support available, but it is up to the individual to make the effort themselves as well. On the other hand, I truly believe instead of going home to be more supported and closer to his family and friends, poor Jessie inadvertently brought even more pressure upon himself because he is in the limelight in a two team city and hailed as the answer to Fremantle's forward woes since Pavlich retired. How can a young man who is already emotionally fragile cope with this pressure and scrutiny? He cannot. Something had to give. Stress can cause all sorts of illnesses, mental and physical.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like another piece of genius list management by Goody and the club.

Jesse has had alot to contended with over the past two years, i wish him the best on his recovery.

This just reaffirms my suspicions on why Freo were stalling on giving us a suitable trade for Hoges.

Also what great mates he has back in perth filming him at his lowest state and sharing it with the whole world.

Edited by Win4theAges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Please note . Not intended as any form of character assassination, it's just my view.

I liked Hogan when he came to us. Not imagining a Messiah, a silver bullet or any fits all panacea. Just thought he could play, showed promise.

To me he showed lots without actually providing any categorical evidence he was indeed as good as the hype. And then the nagging doubts set in. His yo-yo attitude onfield could at least in part be attributed to off field dilemmas. 

He has demons. He also has choices. He has opportunity and support many couldn't even imagine. He still has a world of sorts at his feet. He trips over a lot.

I'm not gloating but simply saying I went early on the notion of him going as being a good thing for us. What he does is up to him.

I'm only really concerned about us. Don't like to see anyone come unstuck but again it's THEIR concern, and those close to him. He seems to have a scavenging entourage. More pity him

I said some time ago I doubt he'd ever realise his potential. Nothing has changed for me.

Freo are a basketcase. Poor Jesse.

Go Dees

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dame Gaga said:

I agree. Isn't it a journalist's duty to report facts, not give a slap to the club without any supporting evidence? I know through experience people with mental health issues can be given every support available, but it is up to the individual to make the effort themselves as well. On the other hand, I truly believe instead of going home to be more supported and closer to his family and friends, poor Jessie inadvertently brought even more pressure upon himself because he is in the limelight in a two team city and hailed as the answer to Fremantle's forward woes since Pavlich retired. How can a young man who is already emotionally fragile cope with this pressure and scrutiny? He cannot. Something had to give. Stress can cause all sorts of illnesses, mental and physical.

Poor form by Jake "Handsome" Niall.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

 "...the Demons should not be too self-congratulatory, for one could argue if their environment didn't cause Hogan's issues, it didn't shrink them much either..."

That is a really cheap shot by Jack Niall.

The environment Jesse had:  a few months with Neeld in 2013 then PJ/ Roos/Goodwin/Mahoney.   A greater period of stability our club has not known.  Our culture wasn't great with Neeld but it changed rapidly.

Our club worked really hard to give him time out and protect him and his privacy through injuries and personal/family issues. 

Its a long bow to say our environment contributed - at least he wasn't getting into serious strife.  Who knows, had he stayed his off-season troubles may never have happened here.  Poor form by Niall to not recognise this.

Not sure I  agree LH. I agreee it perhaps could be interpreted in different ways but i dont think Niall's is suggesting we let him down. You highlighted bit can't be read without the next sentence, which taken together imparts a different meaning:

If their environment didn't cause Hogan's issues, it didn't shrink them much either

That said he could have acknowledged the support we did provide  which from the outside was terrific  which Jessie said as much on a number of occasions

Leaving that adide a pretty good article from a journo i rate.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Please note . Not intended as any form of character assassination, it's just my view.

I liked Hogan when he came to us. Not imagining a Messiah, a silver bullet or any fits all panacea. Just thought he could play, showed promise.

To me he showed lots without actually providing any categorical evidence he was indeed as good as the hype. And then the nagging doubts set in. His yo-yo attitude onfield could at least in part be attributed to off field dilemmas. 

He has demons. He also has choices. He has opportunity and support many couldn't even imagine. He still has a world of sorts at his feet. He trips over a lot.

I'm not gloating but simply saying I went early on the notion of him going as being a good thing for us. What he does is up to him.

I'm only really concerned about us. Don't like to see anyone come unstuck but again it's THEIR concern, and those close to him. He seems to have a scavenging entourage. More pity him

I said some time ago I doubt he'd ever realise his potential. Nothing has changed for me.

Freo are a basketcase. Poor Jesse.

Go Dees

Always wondered why ANY player would wish to go to Fremantle.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TGR said:

Next to Richo, probably the worst overt body language in a footballer I have seen.  Never salivated over him, unlike many here.  Has special talents, but will never be the complete footballer IMO.  The gap between his best and his worst footy will always be massive.

 

As far as reported mental illness goes, I reckon (no stats or facts for a change), a third might be bonefide.  A third have massive resilience issues; and the other third are looking for a cop-out.

When prominent people stuff up in the modern era, mental illness is invariably connected.  I don't doubt mental illness exists, but it has been used too conveniently as a get out of jail card....for those that stuff up, and those that have no resilience.

 

Resilience must be indirectly related to CO2 in the atmosphere and smashed avocado.  Our ancestors would eat us for dinner.

 

 

 

pTGR (Gen X)

 

 

Gen x huh? Of course meaning you raised the smashed avo generation. Maybe you lot should have been better parents lol 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Robbo doesnt think it is mental health. He almost said it. He said Shwarter said it on the radio. He seemed to quote Leonard Cohen. Everybody Knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Damo said:

Robbo doesnt think it is mental health. He almost said it. He said Shwarter said it on the radio. He seemed to quote Leonard Cohen. Everybody Knows.

Quite a bit known in the general AFL community. I can assure you the MFC knows it ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

.........and to cap things off we had "Little Ralphy" calling Hogan a "ratbag". on some crap Fox Footy Preview. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Demon from Sydney said:

Its funny i got banned last year on this site for saying Jesses was an idiot,would never be any good,had off field issues & it ran deeper than onfield performance etc.I said straight out there were issues & that he was a pea heart,but got bagged. Where are all the rose coloured glass wearing fools now?

And this makes you happy now?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Demon from Sydney said:

Its funny i got banned last year on this site for saying Jesses was an idiot

It's not funny. You got banned because you posted that you hoped his injury was permanent. Which makes you a pretty classy guy. 

You're lucky the ban wasn't permanent. 

Edited by Grapeviney
  • Like 23
  • Shocked 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Grapeviney said:

It's not funny. You got banned because you posted that you hoped his injury was permanent. Which makes you a pretty classy guy. 

You're lucky the ban wasn't permanent

Feel free to go ahead with this.

[censored] weak from DFS if what he said was true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Demon from Sydney said:

Its funny i got banned last year on this site for saying Jesses was an idiot,would never be any good,had off field issues & it ran deeper than onfield performance etc.I said straight out there were issues & that he was a pea heart,but got bagged. Where are all the rose coloured glass wearing fools now?

I hope you get banned again 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Demon from Sydney said:

Its funny i got banned last year on this site for saying Jesses was an idiot,would never be any good,had off field issues & it ran deeper than onfield performance etc.I said straight out there were issues & that he was a pea heart,but got bagged. Where are all the rose coloured glass wearing fools now?

Must be the loneliest feeling of vindication ever. 

Bravo. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Demon from Sydney said:

Its funny i got banned last year on this site for saying Jesses was an idiot,would never be any good,had off field issues & it ran deeper than onfield performance etc.I said straight out there were issues & that he was a pea heart,but got bagged. Where are all the rose coloured glass wearing fools now?

"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." - Winston Churchill.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Demon from Sydney said:

Its funny i got banned last year on this site for saying Jesses was an idiot,would never be any good,had off field issues & it ran deeper than onfield performance etc.I said straight out there were issues & that he was a pea heart,but got bagged. Where are all the rose coloured glass wearing fools now?

Wow 😮 so unnecessary

I have no idea what motivated you to roll this out but hopefully there is some level of remorse 

Jesse has some issues that clearly he has to deal with but there is nothing at all to be gained by this sort of comment 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Demon from Sydney said:

Its funny i got banned last year on this site for saying Jesses was an idiot,would never be any good,had off field issues & it ran deeper than onfield performance etc.I said straight out there were issues & that he was a pea heart,but got bagged. Where are all the rose coloured glass wearing fools now?

I think I know Who the pea heart is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, willmoy said:

Does the Club Doctor of an AFL Club have equal or more responsibility to The Club or the individual?

The doctor always has responsibility to the patient.

The club might employ him but the patient is his prime concern and the privacy of issues with that patient are paramount as it should always be.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TGR said:

Next to Richo, probably the worst overt body language in a footballer I have seen.  Never salivated over him, unlike many here.  Has special talents, but will never be the complete footballer IMO.  The gap between his best and his worst footy will always be massive.

 

As far as reported mental illness goes, I reckon (no stats or facts for a change), a third might be bonefide.  A third have massive resilience issues; and the other third are looking for a cop-out.

When prominent people stuff up in the modern era, mental illness is invariably connected.  I don't doubt mental illness exists, but it has been used too conveniently as a get out of jail card....for those that stuff up, and those that have no resilience.

 

Resilience must be indirectly related to CO2 in the atmosphere and smashed avocado.  Our ancestors would eat us for dinner.

 

 

 

pTGR (Gen X)

 

 

Hoges is a superstar, miss him from the Dees. You randomly trolling, not so much.

Hogan isn’t claiming these issues, Freo is, the fact you can’t differentiate shows a bit about you.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Still love Hoges, he would be a great player for us had he stayed but toxic mates in Perth and cesspool culture at Freo have already screwed him up ("Floss" Lyon what a joke of a coach)....its a great shame it's turning bad for him hope he gets the proper support he needs.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He seems like a decent guy with plenty of baggage and a bad support network. I'm glad Melbourne traded him out from a footy perspective but I hope he can sort himself out. He's still quite young, I'd hate to think what I'd do in his position at that age. In fact I did do similar at his age it's just I didnt have celebrity status or networked cameras in everyone's pockets.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GETTING THE HEAVE HO by Bananabender

    The ute barely made it up to Cairns in time for us to check into the motel, fling a cane toad out the bathroom. and head over to Cazaly’s Stadium where we took up our position on the wing. There, we saw a completely different Melbourne to the one we watched on the screen only a few nights earlier from Alice Springs. This lot wore similar colours and Maxy dominated the ruck but the similarities ended there - the Demons were simply dreadful against the Swans. They started sluggishly, were spe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A CLANGER IN CAIRNS by George on the Outer

    Having fought back into finals contention, the Demons had it all before them when facing a lowly Sydney in Cairns.  But in typical Melbourne fashion, they threw away the opportunity to cement their spot in the eight with a clanger of a game.  Right from the start, there was little to enthuse from the Melbourne players, who appeared to think that they only had to turn up, enjoy the North Queensland sun, and take away the four points.  Compared with the furious ground wide pressure of the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TEN MINUTES LATE by Whispering Jack

    The late Norm Smith, who played in four Melbourne premierships and coached another six, was a strong disciplinarian. Known as the Red Fox for his auburn hair and his cunning, Smith was a man of a different age to the here and now. Born during the Great War, he survived the Spanish Flu Pandemic, grew up in depression times, played mostly through the Second World War and its aftermath and coached in a period of rebuilding and recovery to a time of prosperity. Smith’s success was built on team

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SAINTS HELL IN DEES HEAVEN by GOTO

    The last of this year’s indigenous games was played in the red heart of the country and could well have determined Melbourne’s finals aspirations but it was St Kilda that had its top four hopes dashed after a nail-biting finish in Alice Springs which saw them unceremoniously marched out of the position in football heaven occupied by them for much of this season. It all came down in the end to a goal-line decision as to whether a freakish shot by Christian Petracca was touched and the goal u

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DO OR DIE by The Oracle

    Melbourne is, not for the first time, paying for lapses in matches whereby the club leaks multiple goals without answer and which usually cost the club in those all-important eight point games as it did last week against the Western Bulldogs which replaced the Demons in the AFL top eight. And this week, they come up against a team that reputedly plays in the same mode as the Bulldogs but has been able to prevail over better opponents than Melbourne. It’s not that the Demons are out of form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVE THE DOGS A BONE by George on the Outer

    The winner of the game is in the top eight and the loser out. Had Melbourne won, it would have consigned the Bulldogs season to the scrapheap given their remaining fixture which still includes a bye. The Demons led at half-time but they gave the Dogs a bone which was willingly accepted — they notched 6 goals in the third quarter and dumped the Demons out of the eight. This game simply saw all the bad habits return for Melbourne players.  When they serve up dinky kicks, dinky handballs, litt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FRENZY by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club should hand out an award to the person who came up with the concept of the 20 day football frenzy the football world experienced from Round 9 to the completion of Round 12 on Monday. When the AFL fixture was moved into a state of perpetual motion, things changed so quickly that it was difficult to fathom exactly what was happening to the competition but the Demons have been one of the beneficiaries to date. The flogging the team received at the hands of Port Adel

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...