Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jesse Hogan

wizardinoz

It is difficult to not feel very sad about this, I was sorry to see him go.

When you look at his time in the glare of AFL he could not take a trick with his health and or personal life.

Good luck for the future Jessie you gave me lots of thrills at the MFC.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Redleg said:

First, let me wish Jesse well.

Second, people need to understand that clubs do things that may seem wrong to people on the outside, because they generally have much more information than fans to base their decisions on.

Third, constantly reverting to past decisions ( which I have also been guilty of, mainly to do with drafting) probably doesn’t assist in dealing with the present situation of a club.

Amen to that Mr. Leg

12 minutes ago, old dee said:

It is difficult to not feel very sad about this, I was sorry to see him go.

When you look at his time in the glare of AFL he could not take a trick with his health and or personal life.

Good luck for the future Jessie you gave me lots of thrills at the MFC.

and the constant pressure every year of the go-home crowd from the wanchors and the usual muckrakers in the media (esp wa media)

• Like 1

Hope Hogan gets well but for once we've dodged a massive bullet when it comes to trades/playing list...now lets hope May can stay fit and this could prove to be a great trade.

Freo will be spewing...wonder if he still gets paid whilst on leave? 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, red and blue forever said:

I Feel sorry  for Jess, hope he recoveres well and soon

Can't help thinking it was the BEST thing for us to get rid of him when we did

and

the WORST thing for Jessie to leave us when he did...

No leaving for him was right. From what I understand, from a source incredibly close to Hogan, his mental health was the best it had been in a long time when he moved back to Fremantle.

For anyone saying we dodged a bullet I think you are shallow. Had Hogan stayed it is almost certain he would have had the same issues. I’d like to think the MFC would have looked after a kid they drafted at 17 and benefited from others seeing how we treat our own.

There is more to life than footy and I hope he bounces back from another adversity.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

No leaving for him was right. From what I understand, from a source incredibly close to Hogan, his mental health was the best it had been in a long time when he moved back to Fremantle.

For anyone saying we dodged a bullet I think you are shallow. Had Hogan stayed it is almost certain he would have had the same issues. I’d like to think the MFC would have looked after a kid they drafted at 17 and benefited from others seeing how we treat our own.

There is more to life than footy and I hope he bounces back from another adversity.

Great point Wrecker, we see it all the time where clubs help facilitate trades due to personal circumstances. Hogan showed enormous faith in us when all the club could sell was hope and the club made sure he got to Freo as long as a fair trade could be reached. Similarly with Bennell, if he's doing everything he can to get his body right then I expect the club to pick him even if he may not end up playing, as he will have earned another shot.

1 hour ago, chookrat said:

Great point Wrecker, we see it all the time where clubs help facilitate trades due to personal circumstances. Hogan showed enormous faith in us when all the club could sell was hope and the club made sure he got to Freo as long as a fair trade could be reached. Similarly with Bennell, if he's doing everything he can to get his body right then I expect the club to pick him even if he may not end up playing, as he will have earned another shot.

Good "Words"...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Dee Watcher said:

Hope Hogan gets well but for once we've dodged a massive bullet when it comes to trades/playing list...now lets hope May can stay fit and this could prove to be a great trade.

Freo will be spewing...wonder if he still gets paid whilst on leave? 

Rain, hail or shine - he gets paid. Whilst under contract it doesnt matter if he plays or not.

It just hasnt worked for Jesse since his old mans passing/cancer scare. A hell of a lot for a young man to take on. I think he thought moving back to WA would help him in some way and we can all see the results of that.

All the best Hoges!

10 hours ago, Demonsone said:

It’s all about the Bio-chemistry & wiring eg Roger Federer 38 & still competes at the highest levels making semis in grand slams vs Kyrgios who just doesn’t have the same passion  or drive .. no right or wrong 

Er, sure....

Wow.

There's no real winner out of this. Maybe on paper and business decisions there is but in the game of life where most of us play there isn't. 

It's terrible news to hear Jesse is struggling and I hope like hell he can get through this along with his injury issues and get back to building a footy career or follow whatever he wants to do in life. 

I don't make a habit of cheering for ex players but I really hope this one works out. 

• Like 3

Hope Jesse’s mental health comes good, he has been dealt an incredibly tough hand, with his Dad and own cancer issues. 
While it would be great in many regards being paid to do something you love, assuming he loves footy, 24x7 scrutiny on your life would be difficult and I can see how it would impact your mental health!

Even though they are incredibly well paid, I think of my own life as a teen and in early 20’s and I definitely wouldn’t have liked the scrutiny being in the AFL, even if the drink cards would have saved me a bucketload of cash.

Good luck to him in getting better!

On 1/31/2020 at 3:47 PM, DSP said:

Rain, hail or shine - he gets paid. Whilst under contract it doesnt matter if he plays or not.

It just hasnt worked for Jesse since his old mans passing/cancer scare. A hell of a lot for a young man to take on. I think he thought moving back to WA would help him in some way and we can all see the results of that.

All the best Hoges!

It would be interesting to see if the mental issues persisted if AFL players stop getting paid whilst they weren't at the club.

In the real world you don't get "time" away to sort out your personal [censored]....if you do you'll find yourself pretty hungry pretty quick! 

4 minutes ago, Dee Watcher said:

It would be interesting to see if the mental issues persisted if AFL players stop getting paid whilst they weren't at the club.

In the real world you don't get "time" away to sort out your personal [censored]....if you do you'll find yourself pretty hungry pretty quick! 

Right, so you think they're all making it up do you?

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/media/statistics

What a rubbish comment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hardtack said:

And if you’re unsure whether it’s true or not, you post it anyway? A job with the sporting media awaits.

Correct hardtack, the problem is there are too many "sporting media" all trying to justify their exisitance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

You are quite likely right, but in my opinion those issues you mention can potentially still fall under the banner of mental health.

You are little more generous than me LN.

9 minutes ago, Dee Watcher said:

Like Tom Boyd walking away from the remaining $1.5 million in his contract?

Just now, old dee said:

I suspect a small number use it as cover for some other problem LN.

I get what you are saying - very occasionally, no doubt the 'mental health' line is probably used by clubs when there are also other problems going on.

We've come a long way, but there's still a stigma surrounding mental health, particularly for men.

Trivializing mental health issues is incredibly damaging (for athletes or for anyone).

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Dee Watcher said:

In the real world you get sick leave for the purpose of handling clinically diagnosed mental health problems. That's not to say everyone works in a job which has sick leave nor does it address the problem of mental health not necessarily being resolved in a fixed timeframe that meets the limits of sick leave. However, to say people don't get "time" away to sort out their personal problems is a broadbrush statement which is not always correct.

• Like 4

It's pretty sad whichever way you cut it. Over on bigfooty there are people openly proclaiming this to be due to "something else" (nudge nudge wink wink). And people on here talking in secret code. about the same thing. But really, the cause doesn't matter. We have a 23 year old who is struggling to cope with being in society. That by itself is distressing.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

It's pretty sad whichever way you cut it. Over on bigfooty there are people openly proclaiming this to be due to "something else" (nudge nudge wink wink). And people on here talking in secret code. about the same thing. But really, the cause doesn't matter. We have a 23 year old who is struggling to cope with being in society. That by itself is distressing.

Spot on.

And let's say there are 'other issues' at play. So what? 

Mental health and 'other issues' go hand in hand. It is well established that a very high proportion of people experiencing mental health issues also experience substance abuse issues (often alcohol but others too).

To be clear i'm not suggesting Jessie is experiencing those issues, simply naming the innuendo. But it certainly wouldn't shock me if he was struggling with such issues. In many ways it would be logical as drugs and alcohol are used by many people to mask, deal with  emotional and physical pain and to self medicate. Indeed this can often be a symptom and warning of an underlying mental health issue.

Jessie being seen out 'partying' does not reduce the likelihood mental health is the reason he is stepping away from football (as has been insinuated by some eg he is using mental health as a convenient 'cover'). The opposite is true.

And it shouldn't impact at all on the sympathy one might feel for him. Again the opposite is true. Being out partying is not a solution  for his mental health issues and will likely negatively impact on any treatment. Making it harder for the young fella to get well. Which you'd hope everyone hopes he does.

Edited by binman
  • Like 15
  • Love 1