Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jesse Hogan

wizardinoz

56 minutes ago, Sydee said:

Maybe not directly but if a trade doesn't happen and he is not committed then the point/discussion becomes extremely valid 

And who says he is not committed? You, a mate on Facebook?

once the ball is bounced Jesse will crack in...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, EnterTheDragon said:

Agree.

Hogan is about the sixth most important player at Melbourne.

I have him at 3rd, behind Oliver and Gawn. Not far ahead of Tmac, Lever and a few others... We're in good shape.

I have the same sum that goes through my brain when it comes to our list, and our 22. I think ANB will likely spend a big chunk of his career being spoken about as a player who's "in your worst 6 in a premiership side." I dunno if that's particularly true, but it's certainly the way he's perceived. A hardworking, but slightly faulted player that plays 22 games in a season for you. Every club has them... When these trade suggestions come up, and I have these names... Tucker and Langdon... not bad footballers... but where do they rank next to ANB. Does he get squeezed out for them?

• Like 1

Barrett reporting that Freo/Hogan interest still there (fancy that).

Freo have an order which Lobb is first, Melb have requirements.

Melb would need to know within 48 hours, hinted that maybe Jesse still making up his mind but shut down rumours of Freos interest waning.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

And who says he is not committed? You, a mate on Facebook?

once the ball is bounced Jesse will crack in...

We can all have opinions - watch this space if no trade happens and he does not sign an extension of contract.

It will not be me starting the discussion but I am sure his level of commitment will be questioned - particularly if he plays a stinker or two and gets a bit grumpy - has happened before btw

I(Freo) want to buy your house. If I offer a low price you tell me no thanks, I offer a fair price you may accept, I offer a very good (high) price you accept.

I(Melb) want to sell my house. I offer to sell at a high price you reject, I offer a fair price you may accept. I offer a low price you accept. 

Being an eager buyer usually  pushes price up, being an eager seller usually pushes a price down.

3 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Melb would need to know within 48 hours, hinted that maybe Jesse still making up his mind but shut down rumours of Freos interest waning.

They have been following the kid around like a bad smell since he was 17. Of course they still want him & there excitement levels were getting out of control when there was actually a possibility to get him this year. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, EnterTheDragon said:

I like your attitude WYL and partially agree with you. I’ve got no problem with Hogan fulfilling the final year of his contract, playing for Melbourne in 2019 and helping us win a premiership. Could not give a stuff about media circuses or whiny worry warts pining that “this will all happen again next year.” So what! He’s a professional footballer who will knuckle down and provide the best service he can. Just like Bryce Gibbs did when he had to stay at Carlton an extra year before heading to Adelaide. Fronted up again and won their B&F!

However, you’ve always got to be prepared to negotiate. Cards close to your chest, talk tough sure. But there’s always a bit of unspoken wriggle room to grease the wheels of a deal. That’s business.

Yes Fremantle need to negotiate with us, that’s the way it must be. They have wanted our Forward for years. So pay up

we are not far from a Premiership, we must maximize every chance to go flat out next year. 

I am sure the playing group would prefer Jesse in the side next year. 

If Hogan really wanted out of the MFC this year,we would have heard a definitive request by now

he is quite at liberty to get a valuation on his worth. 

I do it regularly with my properties

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

I have him at 3rd, behind Oliver and Gawn. Not far ahead of Tmac, Lever and a few others... We're in good shape.

I have the same sum that goes through my brain when it comes to our list, and our 22. I think ANB will likely spend a big chunk of his career being spoken about as a player who's "in your worst 6 in a premiership side." I dunno if that's particularly true, but it's certainly the way he's perceived. A hardworking, but slightly faulted player that plays 22 games in a season for you. Every club has them... When these trade suggestions come up, and I have these names... Tucker and Langdon... not bad footballers... but where do they rank next to ANB. Does he get squeezed out for them?

Tucker and Langdon are solid citizens in a 14th ranked team. At a Melbourne that has realistic top 4 claims they are battling it out with the ANBs and Hannans for a spot in the 22.

Whether we rank Hogan the 3rd or 6th best current Melbourne player, these sorts of fringe players are steak knives in any mooted trade deal. 

It’s May and a decent first round pick. Or May and a Freo top 5 player. I wouldn’t entertain anything less than that.

6 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Plus hogan neess to request to wwnt to leave

7 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

Plus hogan neess to request to wwnt to leave

Hogan will ONLY request a trade once a deal has been agreed between Melbourne and Fremantle. Which may or may not even happen.

Melbourne has told him (and Freo) we will be holding him to the final year of his CONTRACT if we are not suitably recompensed in trade. 

Hogan will say nothing until this happens.

Edited by EnterTheDragon
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EnterTheDragon said:

It’s May and a decent first round pick. Or May and a Freo top 5 player. I wouldn’t entertain anything less than that.

Another aspect to May I hadn't considered... a good friend and Pies supporter messages me today saying Pies aren't doing anything and she's annoyed. Says demons will probably get May... She also is picking demons/pies GF next year.

If it's a 50-50 ball on whether May gets to us or them... We have ourselves a very very important player. He makes us better, and we stop Pies from improving.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sydee said:

We can all have opinions - watch this space if no trade happens and he does not sign an extension of contract.

It will not be me starting the discussion but I am sure his level of commitment will be questioned - particularly if he plays a stinker or two and gets a bit grumpy - has happened before btw

He is a professional footballer. We have all had Grumpy days. I personally think the magnifying glass is on Jesse more than others. 

If there is no extension to a contract then he plays 2019 and then renegotiates next year. That’s modern Footy. 

Contract lengths mean nothing now. If a player REALLY wants to move, they will. 

The club can only plan Year to Year

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Demonland said:

I just cannot see us getting this despite us all wanting this.

Freo will not give us this particularly with Lobb in their sights.

If we don't budge on this point then I think Freo will take their chances next year going head to head with the Eagles.

We're going to have to get used to either taking a first rounder and a player/later pick or Jesse staying for the year and then leaving us next year when we'll get less.

Disagree. If we don't get what we want he stays.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Another aspect to May I hadn't considered... a good friend and Pies supporter messages me today saying Pies aren't doing anything and she's annoyed. Says demons will probably get May... She also is picking demons/pies GF next year.

If it's a 50-50 ball on whether May gets to us or them... We have ourselves a very very important player. He makes us better, and we stop Pies from improving.

Oh definitely. As we saw in the WC v Pies Grand Final the margin between loss and victory can be very slender between the top 4 sides. 

Has your Pies supporting friend heard that Sydney are now trying to poach their gun defender Tom Langdon? Miss out on May AND lose Langdon and suddenly things get difficult for the Pies in 2019!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EnterTheDragon said:

Tucker and Langdon are solid citizens in a 14th ranked team. At a Melbourne that has realistic top 4 claims they are battling it out with the ANBs and Hannans for a spot in the 22.

I haven't seen enough of Tucker to make an informed decision, but people on here are seriously underrating Ed Langdon. He just finished 4th in their BnF and is exactly what we need - run. He runs both ways too, better than most of our mids. He'd slot straight into our best 22 on a wing and is on par with someone like Salem at this stage. He is a clear level above ANB, Hannan etc. He'd cost a late first round pick-early second round pick in his own right. He's not steak knives. 

Having said that, I'd be disappointed if we didn't wind up with a first round pick you use at the draft from this trade. Yes we'll need to use one to trade in May, but pick 5/6 is too much for May. We should be going to draft with pick 5/6 and trading pick 14 or so for May. May is a decent fullback, but not a world beater like he is being made out as by some on here and in the media. In fact his past 1-2 years have been poor-average. A few years ago he was very good, but has dropped off and wouldn't be in the top 5 full backs at present. I'd be angry if the club traded a top 10 pick for him. 

1 minute ago, EnterTheDragon said:

Has your Pies supporting friend heard that Sydney are now trying to poach their gun defender Tom Langdon? Miss out on May AND lose Langdon and suddenly things get difficult for the Pies in 2019!

Yup. She hates him, so no skin off her nose. She's aware though that Dunn isn't what people make him out to be. And that they lost a GF by less than a goal cos of a lack of air superiority.

6 minutes ago, EnterTheDragon said:

Hogan will ONLY request a trade once a deal has been agreed between Melbourne and Fremantle. Which may or may not even happen.

Melbourne has told him (and Freo) we will be holding him to the final year of his CONTRACT if we are not suitably recompensed in trade. 

Hogan will say nothing until this happens.

100% spot on.  

I have been told from within the club this is exactly the case. I can also add that Jesse remains open to completing his contract. 

This all started because at his exit interview he said he would not be signing a contract extension over summer and was considering whether he would return home “at the end of his contract”.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Disagree. If we don't get what we want he stays.

There's the public fodder statement by the club. That's fine but it won't be real pass line.

Am sure the club will accept a deal irrelevant of poster's views...if it meets what the club actually wants as an outcome.

30 minutes ago, EnterTheDragon said:

Where does this assumption from many posters come from that a player is not ‘invested’ in performing to the best of his ability purely because they haven’t signed a long term deal? 

Hogan is a professional footballer. If anything he may come out and kick 75 goals next season as he tries to impress suitors and stick it right up everyone!

Quite right Dragon.

We do make assumptions but perhaps we are only trying to make some sense of it all. 

Given our performance in the last 4 games, it obviously raises questions as to Hogan's role in the team.  

Your proposition is valid and lets hope correct. 

When an employee is thinking of leaving an organisation it can affect commitment and motivation.  

At the moment we have 22 players who seem totally committed to the Club and each other.

If Hogan came back switched on that would be fantastic. 

But the doubt is there and at very least will continue to be an unwanted distraction to player and club particularly toward the end of the season. 

• Like 1

The best result would be to keep Hogan, trade next years first round plus player/late pick for May. This would leave us close to Premiership favourites.

May needs to request a trade to us.

At the end next season if Jesse leaves we have 2 first rounders to trade for Kelly or go to the draft.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dappa Dan said:

Yeah. I wonder if, given the Hogan thing (according to some) came out of the blue very late in the AFL calendar, we're at a disadvantage. I wonder if Taylor had spent the last 12 months looking at this draft class thinking he wouldn't be picking earlier than late second round. And now he has to go through his gameplan potentially with multiple first round picks, some early? 

That's a good question. It would be easy to say it wouldn't and that all recruiting managers would prepare for any scenario by studying the whole talent pool but that's probably a bit simplistic. There's only so much time and so much traveling you can do. Then again maybe he did, but it still changes the psychology a bit. 

50 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Love your last line, a line that most of us occasionally use or would like to use, until common sense prevails.

And that common sense tells us that rarely do you get your wish, indeed, by using your famous last line, you may well get something but less than what you want at a cost or something that is even worse.....you get nothing.

I like your spirit but I would much prefer a negotiated outcome that all parties including Hogan desire.

That Flag tilt you refer to may not be assisted by Hogan's return particularly if he has not invested in the future of the team and the Club. .    

If we wanted something from Fremantle i would agree, but we don’t. They want one of our players, and have done for years. 

He is 23, yet to peak. That is well known

if the Shockers want to pay ? up, they pay Premium $$$ right now or go away. 

This talk of Hogan not invested in the club after all the assistance we have shown him during his Cancer sickness and his fathers death is offensive to me. 

If Jesse plays next year he will crack in. We don’t have a Harley Bennel situation here. 

Too many opinions turn into “facts” on these discussion boards.