Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Jesse Hogan

wizardinoz

@binman...its not that anyone offered ridiculous Coin WILL move...but that they might where before it wasnt an option.

Life....money....stuff happens

Edited by beelzebub

3 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

Enough of this nonsense!

God says

NO!!!!

God the Father 21

Hi Reverand glad to see you are still with us I thought you might have switched to Richmond.

What is the message for Friday week?

5 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

Enough of this nonsense!

God says

NO!!!!

God the Father 21

not sure Demons listen to him....bit of history there I believe  ;)

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

@binman...its not that anyone offered ridiculous Coin WILL move...but that they might where before it wasnt an option.

Life....money....stuff happens

Well yes. But in this instance Jessie's manager and his coach has come out and categorically stated he is staying at the dees. Which never happens when move is on the cards.

So it is safe to assume he ain't going nowhere. Super offer or no super offer.

It isn’t often 3 big Tals can work, but with our three, I think it can. All of them have fantastic aerobic capacity, Weed doing duties as back up ruck and the A’s deepest forward, Hodges and Tmac roaming. Yes, they will need that connection not many have, but if they click, they will be very hard to stop

• Like 3

I would like to see Jesse play more wing and centre mid-field. Playing on the wing can create a mismatch when he pushes forward also... 

So Preuss is a player who can definitely fit in the side without any of our talls going out.

9 hours ago, ProDee said:

If I'm one of those players that answer doesn't cut it for me.

have you heard tom interviewed? he'll play anywhere the team needs him. we are fine to move forward with these three forwards. sam is still learning and as others have said, injuries and form issues can arise. they can look for other opportunities and we can be concerned about retention after our second or third flag. which other team would they want to play for? its clear that MFC has the best chance of all clubs to dominate the comp in the coming years. they should be lucky to be with us (just as we're lucky to have them).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Hi Reverand glad to see you are still with us I thought you might have switched to Richmond.

What is the message for Friday week?

Cursed be the Cats for they are a pursefull of [censored].

Blessed be the Dees for they play exciting football.

Blessed be the patient for they  shall inherit the flag.

Go Dees!

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

Cursed be the Cats for they are a pursefull of [censored].

Blessed be the Dees for they play exciting football.

Blessed be the patient for they  shall inherit the flag.

Go Dees!

Apparently we cannot say p-u-s-s-i-e-s unless we put dashes between each letter.

Edited by The Reverend
further information
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I am interested in what Sam Mclure has said. Despite his diabolical hair style, the guy has very good mail, he is rarely 100% wrong. 

I want Jesse to stay, but i will be watching this space

The guy seems to have found the 'Blue Cod' recipe.  Lets hope he can cook, but

This end of season could be VERY important to our future..

11 hours ago, ProDee said:

I was having this discussion yesterday. 

I really rate what Weideman can become, but also like what McDonald offers as the second banana.  And unlike some I'm a Jesse fan and he's 3 years from his peak years.

I can't see the three of them working well in the same forward half.  But I could be wrong.

I'll be fascinated to see what Goodwin comes up with in 2019.

I reckon we can play them all in the one forwardline and we showed this earlier in the year. Jesse switching from a wing, midfield, CHF and deep forward. Tom switching from ruck, CHF, CHB (this bit will happen, despite him not being a good defender) and deep forward. Weideman switching from ruck, CHF and deep forward.

The beauty of all of them is that they are mobile beasts. Weideman is terrific below his knees as he demonstrated on multiple occasions against GWS and the other two have never had a question mark over them in this regard. In fact, it's probably their key asset.

I think we'll look back on Jesse's injury at the end of 2018 and see that it enabled Weideman to gain some confidence at the top level. This will be invaluable for next year when all three play together. I'm pretty sure Goodwin would have kept playing all three together in the same forwardline had we not had injuries and Weideman struggle with form. 

Richmond changed the face of the modern forwardline last year out of necessity and it may well snag them another flag, but I think Goodwin and his set up will transform the modern game again. Our sheer weight of numbers as we win it at the contest infused with three mobile talls. It's Adelaide 2017 on steroids. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, The Reverend said:

We need to look at the signs. Sometimes they are hidden right under our noses.

Go Dees!

He has spoken...

I had a dream,,, in it was said a very similar thing.

Friday next week, GoD's

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rjay said:

A lot will depend on how the AFL changes effect the game.

If it's a lot more open then the 3 in the forward half are going to be a handful for opposition teams when they can't get numbers back.

Equally, it might be better to play more pressure smalls in that situation. It'll be interesting to see the rule changes and the evolution of the game from there.

9 hours ago, Axis of Bob said:

It will be really interesting and I agree.

We are so lucky in that we have 3 assets that other teams would rip up their lists for, but we need to massage around a bit to make it work. It's like winning tattslotto and then noting that your portfolio is now overly skewed towards cash!

Hogan is our best forward, but would also be our best defender. McDonald was a defender and Weideman would also be an excellent defender. At least they all play the game differently.

They other thing to ponder is that we have played more even numbers ahead of the ball in the time after we used 3 talls, so there's a chance that they would work better with each other now. Plus Weideman is a much improved player since then. Weid had also taken many of his marks in packs with other talls, which provides a different option to the wrestling of Jesse and Tom.

I think we'll play 3 tall forwards next year and then set up the team around them to make it work. I imagine there will be less focus on the talls to mark and more on the defensive actions, knowing that we have more marking options.

I have no idea on how we will use them all, but it's going to be a really interesting discussion. I think 2018 was a year we could get away with it, given that Weid is developing, but he won't wear that next year too.

Only a Melbourne supporter would put it this way. ??

I think the point about all three of them offering something slightly different is a great one. I also concur that we'll set up with three talls next year too. Players like Harmes and ANB, coupled with a new speedster or two at the feet of these guys will be pretty deadly.

We may well be able to get away with not having speedsters and rather just hard runners, given the mobility of the three talls we have. Hogan and Tom need to start tackling more in the forward half though. Weideman, when switched on and confident, is really good at this.

9 hours ago, Redleg said:

I presume the club would tell him we see a 3 key forward man forward line as a real weapon and ensuring one of you gets the 3rd best opposition defender and we are also looking at playing Jesse further up the ground and even in defence. 

Cant ever see the club telling him he was Insurance 

If I was Sam that would make me happy.

Particularly, as it allows me to develop and ultimately shine, by getting the third best defender.

8 hours ago, binman said:

I can absolutely see the dees playing Weed, T Mac and Hogan together in the forward line and fully expect, if all 3 are fit, to see them line up in the forward line round 1 next year. I think they have shown their hand this year. 

I understand why some might query the wisdom of 3 bigs up forward, particularly with small forward lines being all the rage atm, as i don't think there are many examples of it working but TMac and Hogan are such aerobic beasts that they can get around the ground, offering down the line options, and Weed can play as the classic full forward leading from the square.

With Weed and Tmac also providing great chop out duties for Max there would be big chunks of the game where only two of them would actually be in the forward line at the same time. 

Hogan for me is the CHF, Weed full forward and Tmac the third tall. Huge nightmare for defensive units and opposition coaches as not only do you need height and strength you need players with motors to match Tmac and Hogan.

Throw in a team that gets huge inside 50 numbers and hopefully improved delivery of the ball into the forward line and you have a huge offensive weapon. 

Bring. It. On.

You beat me to it, mate. Spot on.

8 hours ago, daisycutter said:

nothing. he's still under contract

If I were Melbourne I'd still be saying, look, Jesse, if you want to play in flags and dynasty's like Geelong and Hawthorn, they all took pay cuts to stay together, so you do the same.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

GWS tried the numerous talls route with Lobb, Patton and Cameron plus Munford in the ruck. They were all high quality.

Did it work... most would say no.

Adelaide did much the same and were found wanting against Richmond but it did take them to a GF.

When we started this thread the big question mark was over Weideman. That question mark is still there albeit that it has decreased significantly.

Nice problem to have.

None of those midfields were having the same dominance that we've had though.

I reckon it'll work. Jason Taylor has been building to this since he arrived.

7 hours ago, deehughman said:

Hogan is value is high. I would keep him unless some stupdi deal was on the table eg. two top 10 picks.

I would be tempted to play him in defence. 

Except, unless we could trade those two top 10 picks that'd be a terrible deal for us. Lose a young gun CHF for two kids that take years to develop, while we're inside our window. Dumb list management IMO.

37 minutes ago, A F said:

I reckon we can play them all in the one forwardline and we showed this earlier in the year. Jesse switching from a wing, midfield, CHF and deep forward. Tom switching from ruck, CHF, CHB (this bit will happen, despite him not being a good defender) and deep forward. Weideman switching from ruck, CHF and deep forward.

The beauty of all of them is that they are mobile beasts. Weideman is terrific below his knees as he demonstrated on multiple occasions against GWS and the other two have never had a question mark over them in this regard. In fact, it's probably their key asset.

I think we'll look back on Jesse's injury at the end of 2018 and see that it enabled Weideman to gain some confidence at the top level. This will be invaluable for next year when all three play together. I'm pretty sure Goodwin would have kept playing all three together in the same forwardline had we not had injuries and Weideman struggle with form. 

Richmond changed the face of the modern forwardline last year out of necessity and it may well snag them another flag, but I think Goodwin and his set up will transform the modern game again. Our sheer weight of numbers as we win it at the contest infused with three mobile talls. It's Adelaide 2017 on steroids. 

I know it's possible, but I'm not convinced it works best. 

Give me the structure that will run out Friday week any day of the week.

• Like 1

Ok, so what if Hogan decides to go.....(after reading this thread) Your all assuming he goes to Freo and they are no good anyway so it doesnt matter. Perhaps Freo isnt a good fit. He could go anywhere maybe even goes to West Coast. Who would you play on him? Would you like us to go and play WC again over there next year for a spot in the finals and come up against Kennedy Darling and Hogan?

Do you really want to shore up a big rival clubs forward line? Hawthorn target players 2 years in advance and go to work on them. They throw the kitchen sink at them and are very good at doing it. Would you people who want to get rid of Jesse, just because we lost to StKilda, like him to go to Hawthorn?? Your not thinking about the big picture really are you?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, A F said:

This is such an important, relevant comment to me.

Playing copycat may pinch you a flag, doing something different and successfully can snag you more than one. I can imagine a triangular set up, for example, Weid in goal, TMac and Hoges as high half forwards and rotate the triangle, would be a nightmare for opposition coaches

• Like 1
  • Love 2