• Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

• Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

2019 best 22 and depth chart

DeeSpencer

1 minute ago, radar said:

Last two years we’ve Hannan, Fritsch and Spargo come from nowhere

Is there another one to surprise. 

Is Preus Pedo 2.0 - just another North delisting?

can Frost play forward?

Preuss is twice the size of Pedo

Frost can't play forward. He won't get a game next year, I think he'll be finished at the Dees after next year.

1 hour ago, WERRIDEE said:

Frost can't play forward. He won't get a game next year, I think he'll be finished at the Dees after next year.

I know the selection committee seem to rate Oscar over Frost but I think those two fighting for the second KP defender is going to be interesting to view. Frost definitely adds something with his pace, and his disposal improved a lot last year as well so I can see him getting quite a few games in 2019. 

Preuss will be very interesting to watch how they use, lots of commentators were shocked that he chose to come to Melbourne when he’s going to be behind Max. Personally I think the club has a very clear idea about how they will use him next year and I won’t be surprised to see us play two rucks with either one of them spending time forward. Max is happy and that makes me happy!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Dee1993 said:

Never know. Had a mare of a year but could get back to his best. Worth keeping him on the list.

I hope so, maybe he had personal issues we knew nothing about this year. His drop in form was sudden and horrific. 

A new pre-season and new year to impress, one thing is for sure we don’t have crummers that create like what WC have with Rioli and Ryan. We have Spargo who goes pretty well for a young small bloke, Hannan who’s form fluctuates a lot, the likes of Nibber who works hard enough, but no one with any magic. 

Garlett has had that in the past, love to see it again. 

31 minutes ago, Pates said:

I hope so, maybe he had personal issues we knew nothing about this year. His drop in form was sudden and horrific. 

A new pre-season and new year to impress, one thing is for sure we don’t have crummers that create like what WC have with Rioli and Ryan. We have Spargo who goes pretty well for a young small bloke, Hannan who’s form fluctuates a lot, the likes of Nibber who works hard enough, but no one with any magic. 

Garlett has had that in the past, love to see it again. 

Tracs got magic but yeah i agree

On 10/17/2018 at 5:52 PM, Salems Lot said:

We are entering the era of Squad footy I reckon.  I strongly believe that with our depth and spread of talent each week will bring a different best 22.  In the case of opponents like the Weagles we will inevitably play tall utilizing the likes of Preuss and Frost whilst other weeks against shorter pacier teams we will be using the likes of Fritch and Hannan as well as Spargo.  It gives us the opportunity to play as necessary as well as keeping list rotation a reality allowing for greater freshness at the business end of the season.  Exciting times

In addition to your observations, Salems Lot, we are approaching the stage where oppositions will need to adapt to us as much as we have had to do to them in the past.

Exciting times for us.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Play Frost as a tall winger who can run and kick deep into the forward 50.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I think filling the remaining list spots the focus should be on a gun crumbing small forward as number 1 priority

Does Mahoney fish? Maybe we should send him to the Torres Straight Islands for a little football clinic - just to see if he can get one of those magical 'under 6 foot schnappers'? Take The Wizz with you, Josh.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dl4e said:

Good idea. Problem will be delivery into forward 50. He has the pace for a wingman.

His short delivery is actually pretty good. I understand his instructions have been to give it off quickly to the easiest option. No hero shots. As such he has done well.

He'll never be a Salem with his disposal but the whole package of Frost has some very strong traits.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

WERRIDEE - every successful team has depth, as most other than Richmond 2017 have injuries during the season.  

Those with depth survive; those without, whither.

• Like 1

I can't see Frost playing further up the ground. Yes he is quick over 50-100m but he's buggered everytime he does so. Hence why he plays predominantly within back 50m. He would need to really build up his endurance to play wing. Like Tom Mcdonald his straight line kicking is good which he can get away with as a backman but would need to really change his style to be more dynamic with his disposal.

B: C.Salem, S.May, N.Jetta

HB: J.Lever, O.Macodnald, M.Hibberd

? N.Jones, J.Viney, A.Brayshaw

HF: J.Melksham, T.Macdonald, C.Patracca

F: A.vandenBERG, S.Weiderman, M.Hannan

Foll: M.Gawn, j.Harmes, C.Oliver

IC: B.Fritsch, A.neal-bullen, C.Spargo, S.Frost

Emergency. K.Kolodjashnij, J.Hunt, Stretch, Lewis

• Like 2

I still think we are lacking two good wingers. The way I see it:

Jones - Really a natural inside midfielder. Not quick enough and not good enough overhead. Really a natural inside midfielder.

Stretch - He plays like a gut running outside midfielder. Not quick enough and not good enough overhead. Coming back from a foot injury. 

Hunt - Has played mostly at half back and could become a small pressure forward. Endurance and skills are the question marks.

Baker - Looks a likely type but unproven. Has good size, pace and endurance. Skills are the question mark.

Fritsch - I prefer him off half back given the way he reads the aerial ball. Not sure he has the breakaway speed for the wing.

J Smith - Has played mostly off half back. Has the pace required and good overhead. Skills are the question mark.

JKH - Similar player to Stretch.

Harmes - Probably provides the best combination of skill, pace, endurance and overhead ability but he is also one of our best four inside midfielders.

Kolodjashnij - Has mostly played off half back so far. Not sure on the endurance/pace and feel half back is likely to be his best position.

Lewis - Too slow.

Salem - Not overly quick and better off half back.

Hannan - Has a good combination of pace, endurance and size. Not a great kick however.

5 hours ago, dee-tox said:

Here's hoping Stretch is that long lost wingman.

Injury free we look good!

Stretch will only ever be a 22-25 player on our list. Disposals are poor and always have been since his draft year. A very poor ball drop. 

1 hour ago, red and blue forever said:

B: C.Salem, S.May, N.Jetta

HB: J.Lever, O.Macodnald, M.Hibberd

? N.Jones, J.Viney, A.Brayshaw

HF: J.Melksham, T.Macdonald, C.Patracca

F: A.vandenBERG, S.Weiderman, M.Hannan

Foll: M.Gawn, j.Harmes, C.Oliver

IC: B.Fritsch, A.neal-bullen, C.Spargo, S.Frost

Emergency. K.Kolodjashnij, J.Hunt, Stretch, Lewis

Mcdonald not Macdonald. Petracca not Patracca. Weideman not weiderman.  Other than that, a good team! :)

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

13 hours ago, Call Me What You Will said:

The “squad” approach is an interesting one. Yes, in the world game where teams play 40 to 50 games a season, astute managers will do just that - manage the squad. Key players will be rotated and rested. In our game, with less games and less margin for error, the mantra of “don’t flirt with your form” has always resonated. Interesting times.

Agree interesting times - there's still a big emphasis on a "settled line up" that can work in co-ordination - particularly in the backline.

• Like 1

I’m pretty cautious these days about assuming positions for players are career long. How many of us would have thought TMac would be one of the league’s best goal kickers? (I actually did privately predict a move forward, which sadly counts for nothing). I think his brother is a better footballer at equivalent age, and really doubt he’ll stay back. And some have already forgotten that Fritsch is a natural forward, just because he filled a hole down back. Don’t be surprised if Joel Smith moves forward either, as his exposed form is negligible really, and he could be anything. Charlie Spargo is about the most likely future midfielder I’ve seen, so expect that in 2 to 3 years as well, and Vanders could be there more as of next season. Football now is about versatility, and many players best use is discovered well down the track. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dl4e said:

Good idea. Problem will be delivery into forward 50. He has the pace for a wingman.

There is plenty of time to adjust his delivery, as needed. What we do know is that he has a fair hoof and he needs to just slow a fraction in the last stride to make it a good one if it is to be a pass up to 40 metres. His handball, too, needs to be a little further from his body - front and lateral delivery - rather than swinging with that great pace that he has (as a whole of body movement). The guy is a gun in the making and pre-season will assist, not doubt. Steadying is a split second in duration - he has the time. 

What I would love to see..

B: Jetta   May    Lever

HB: Salem  Frost  Hibberd

? Jones  Viney  Kolodjashnij 

HF: Petracca  Weideman melksham

FF: Hannan  T.Mcdonald  Spargo

R: Gawn Oliver Brayshaw 

Int: Harmes Neal-bullen Vandenberg Fritsch.

I am hoping Garlett can learn a thing or two off Spargo when it comes to forward pressure and a bit of body contact. Would love for him to be up and about 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, armstrong35 said:

I am hoping Garlett can learn a thing or two off Spargo when it comes to forward pressure and a bit of body contact. Would love for him to be up and about 

Spargo said on the country news that he will spend a lot more time in the midfield. I'm expecting he'll do that at VFL level until he can build his tank.

I expect our small forwards to be Hannan, Fritsch, Garlett and Bedford not Spargo. 

I can't believe how many people don't have Pruess in their side I'm sure he wasn't recruited to play in the 2's

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1