Jump to content

  • Demonland Interviews

DeeSpencer

2019 best 22 and depth chart

Recommended Posts

Gotta feeling we will trade aggressively and flick a few NQR!

Stand by for some tremmors and shocks.

So be it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dee-licious said:

I have been thinking about this a heap in the past 24 hours. Especially on the wing which is clearly an area we lack. I have been trying to find someone from another club we could get to get the ball on the outside and deliver inside 50. 

Then it dawned on me, we have him, he played there at the start of the year and was brilliant until Lever went down. 

Christian Salem. 

Beautiful kick, good break away speed, tackles like a champ. I feel if we can find a half back flank player to replace him (maybe Fritch, maybe Hunt) and can move him to play in the forward half of the ground we are instantly a better team. 

I think this trade period isnt going to be that exciting for us as we are going to rely on natural improvement, rather than quick fixes. 

Salem only had 1 good game in the midfield - against the Roos, and he played on ball not wing. He's not an elite runner, the wing isn't the spot for him. He was much more consistent when moved to half back against Essendon and I think he'll feature really high in our B+F with a number of games where he did his job perfectly at half back.

Fritsch is the most natural winger on the list IMO. It's just a matter of building his tank and teaching him some stoppage craft. Considering he wasn't in the TAC system or even playing regular at Casey (senior or development) he's come a long way this year and just got tired when asked to play backline late. If he can get his tank to AFL midfield standard whilst building some core strength this summer he could not only back up but go to another level next year.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For mine Stretch is ahead of Kent who appears fragile.

A bit like Hoges, he breaks down  and it's one thing after the other.

I'm ambivalent about keeping Jesse. He clogs up the forward line when Tommy is there so spends a lot of time keeping out of his way.

Weed doesn't.

So, can Jesse become a midfielder? He could play on the wing  as was done with Tommy often, even drifting back to take Lever's job.

He's not an inside mid and he doesn't succeed as a forward pocket/flank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JETTA.         O.McDONALD.    LEVER. 

HIBBERD.     FROST                  SALEM. 

FRITSCH.      VINEY .                 HANNAN. 

HOGAN.        T.McDONALD .    PETRACCA. 

SPARGO.       WEIDEMAN.         NEAL-BULLEN. 

GAWN.            OLIVER.                HARMES. 

JONES  -  TYSON  -  BRAYSHAW  -  VANDENBERG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's sad, but on last years form Jeffy would be an automatic selection. Don't know what happened to him this year. We could be greatly strengthened if he could regain his best.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

2019 recruits 

Lever. Hogan. Kent. Stretch. Hunt. Fritsch  

Each will add to our end of 2018 prelims team. 

Hunt will need to lift and reinvent himself.  

I was a big fan ...... hopefully 2018 has been marred by injury from which he will recover.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

JETTA.         O.McDONALD.    LEVER. 

HIBBERD.     FROST                  SALEM. 

FRITSCH.      VINEY .                 HANNAN. 

HOGAN.        T.McDONALD .    PETRACCA. 

SPARGO.       WEIDEMAN.         NEAL-BULLEN. 

GAWN.            OLIVER.                HARMES. 

JONES  -  TYSON  -  BRAYSHAW  -  VANDENBERG

Please, no more Tyson, please, for f's sake...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Salem only had 1 good game in the midfield - against the Roos, and he played on ball not wing. He's not an elite runner, the wing isn't the spot for him. He was much more consistent when moved to half back against Essendon and I think he'll feature really high in our B+F with a number of games where he did his job perfectly at half back.

Fritsch is the most natural winger on the list IMO. It's just a matter of building his tank and teaching him some stoppage craft. Considering he wasn't in the TAC system or even playing regular at Casey (senior or development) he's come a long way this year and just got tired when asked to play backline late. If he can get his tank to AFL midfield standard whilst building some core strength this summer he could not only back up but go to another level next year.  

Agree 100% re Frisch as a wingman.

It is a pity that injuries (and Hunt’s inability to get back to anywhere near his best as a HBF) forced him to go back to an unaccustomed rôle then dropped for the PF due to match ups. I hope he can get a full preseason working on the wing HFF rôle and not be forced to fill in where, though he performed admirably, he could not be of best value to the team 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Salem only had 1 good game in the midfield - against the Roos, and he played on ball not wing. He's not an elite runner, the wing isn't the spot for him. He was much more consistent when moved to half back against Essendon and I think he'll feature really high in our B+F with a number of games where he did his job perfectly at half back.

Fritsch is the most natural winger on the list IMO. It's just a matter of building his tank and teaching him some stoppage craft. Considering he wasn't in the TAC system or even playing regular at Casey (senior or development) he's come a long way this year and just got tired when asked to play backline late. If he can get his tank to AFL midfield standard whilst building some core strength this summer he could not only back up but go to another level next year.  

Agreed and I think the other "natural winger" is Hunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, obbafan said:

Agreed and I think the other "natural winger" is Hunt.

✖️  A natural winger needs good disposal and marking ability 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, obbafan said:

Agreed and I think the other "natural winger" is Hunt.

 

7 minutes ago, monoccular said:

✖️  A natural winger needs good disposal and marking ability 

Plus he doesn't get enough of the ball...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d have Lewis in the starting 22 but I would expect him to be out of it and replaced by this time next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am making some assumptions about how we will play next year and how other teams will play against us. One example is a second ruck to stretch Gawn. On this point, I don't think OMac is good enough as anything other than second ruck defender. 

'Good enough' is to better our situation; get us into a GF.

Role and Player Good Enough For It, and The Depth

Gorilla Tamer Tall (1) : [Trade for Player] Depth: Frost, Kielty

Second Ruck Defender (1) : O McDonald Depth: 

Impact Tall (1) : Lever Depth: Petty,

Medium Tall Defender (2) : Hibberd and J Smith Depth: Lewis, Baker, Wagner

Small Defender (2) : Jetta and Stretch Depth: Hunt

Midfield Inside Rotation (5) : Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes, and vandenBerg Depth: Jones, Maynard

Midfield Outside Rotation (2) : Salem and [Trade for Player] Depth: Fritsch, ANB, JKH

1st Ruck (1) : Gawn Depth: [Trade for Player], Bradtke

2nd Ruck (1) : Wiedeman Depth: T Smith

Tall Forward (2) : Hogan and T McDonald Depth: 

Medium Forward (2) : Melksham and Petracca Depth: Hannan

Small Forwards (2) : Spargo and [Trade for Player] Depth: Garlett

 

Assumed delisted/traded: Vince, Balic, Tyson (T), Bugg, King, Pedersen, Kent (T), McKenna

Upgraded: Kielty

Would love a small forward, an outside player through the middle with excellent skills and a tall defender that just beats his bloke. Also a back up ruck but Weideman is second ruck. We cannot carry 5 talls into a game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Maybe Stretch fills this spot?

I have him in the backline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Lewis as shadowing Bernie’s 2017-18. 

Lewis put together some good matches this year, but the pace in the legs has left him and the mind isn’t too far behind.  Next season I see him, like Bernie this year, starting in the 1s, then moved out by the end of the season.

By the looks of things, Jones may be in the same boat one year later.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DemonLad5 said:

The fact that some people are leaving Jones and Lewis out of their 22 are pretty embarrassing 

It's going to be the Lewis\Vince scenario both can't both be in the same team. Lewis out for mine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, rpfc said:

I am making some assumptions about how we will play next year and how other teams will play against us. One example is a second ruck to stretch Gawn. On this point, I don't think OMac is good enough as anything other than second ruck defender. 

'Good enough' is to better our situation; get us into a GF.

Role and Player Good Enough For It, and The Depth

Gorilla Tamer Tall (1) : [Trade for Player] Depth: Frost, Kielty

Second Ruck Defender (1) : O McDonald Depth: 

Impact Tall (1) : Lever Depth: Petty,

Medium Tall Defender (2) : Hibberd and J Smith Depth: Lewis, Baker, Wagner

Small Defender (2) : Jetta and Stretch Depth: Hunt

Midfield Inside Rotation (5) : Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw, Harmes, and vandenBerg Depth: Jones, Maynard

Midfield Outside Rotation (2) : Salem and [Trade for Player] Depth: Fritsch, ANB, JKH

1st Ruck (1) : Gawn Depth: [Trade for Player], Bradtke

2nd Ruck (1) : Wiedeman Depth: T Smith

Tall Forward (2) : Hogan and T McDonald Depth: 

Medium Forward (2) : Melksham and Petracca Depth: Hannan

Small Forwards (2) : Spargo and [Trade for Player] Depth: Garlett

 

Assumed delisted/traded: Vince, Balic, Tyson (T), Bugg, King, Pedersen, Kent (T), McKenna

Upgraded: Kielty

Would love a small forward, an outside player through the middle with excellent skills and a tall defender that just beats his bloke. Also a back up ruck but Weideman is second ruck. We cannot carry 5 talls into a game.

I agree mostly.  We can draft some youngsters for these roles.  

Preuss is a must get to support, relieve, tandem or back up Gawn. 3/yr deal for Preuss. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why Frost is in so many of these teams, the guy is a dead set liability, once Lever is back frost is out. And on playing all 3 what teams have 3 talls which would require all 3.

  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Not sure why Frost is in so many of these teams, the guy is a dead set liability, once Lever is back frost is out. And on playing all 3 what teams have 3 talls which would require all 3.

Lever can play small.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Not sure why Frost is in so many of these teams, the guy is a dead set liability, once Lever is back frost is out. And on playing all 3 what teams have 3 talls which would require all 3.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, Frost was awful under pressure the last 2 weeks. Hopefully we make a play for Steven May because we need a tall defender that is trust-worthy outside of Lever

 

 

Also, Jones has to stay in our best 22 I think like a few others he played too many games this year, if we could rest a player here and there next year that would be a big help. (Gawn Inc) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

JETTA.         O.McDONALD.    LEVER. 

HIBBERD.     FROST                  SALEM. 

FRITSCH.      VINEY .                 HANNAN. 

HOGAN.        T.McDONALD .    PETRACCA. 

SPARGO.       WEIDEMAN.         NEAL-BULLEN. 

GAWN.            OLIVER.                HARMES. 

JONES  -  TYSON  -  BRAYSHAW  -  VANDENBERG

You forgot Melksham.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Coobs said:

I agree with this wholeheartedly, Frost was awful under pressure the last 2 weeks. Hopefully we make a play for Steven May because we need a tall defender that is trust-worthy outside of Lever

 

 

Who we gonna give away for May? We have no picks. Tyson, Garlett and Hunt probably won't cut it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, doug williams said:

For mine Stretch is ahead of Kent who appears fragile.

A bit like Hoges, he breaks down  and it's one thing after the other.

I'm ambivalent about keeping Jesse. He clogs up the forward line when Tommy is there so spends a lot of time keeping out of his way.

Weed doesn't.

So, can Jesse become a midfielder? He could play on the wing  as was done with Tommy often, even drifting back to take Lever's job.

He's not an inside mid and he doesn't succeed as a forward pocket/flank.

Saints are doing some DD on him at the minute. Whether they decide to do the deal is a different story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I agree mostly.  We can draft some youngsters for these roles.  

Preuss is a must get to support, relieve, tandem or back up Gawn. 3/yr deal for Preuss. 

I agree Gawn needs support but I don’t think the side can support Gawn, Preuss, Weed, Hogan and T Mac.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE BRIGHT SIDE by Whispering Jack

    I don’t often agree with Dermott Brereton but he came close to the mark last week when he labelled Melbourne a “team of downhill skiers” that works much harder offensively than it does defensively.  And he was looking at the bright side of the team’s game plan. That proposition has been clear since before the season started. It was obvious from the first JLT game against Richmond when the team leaked multiple goals in a short space of time as players gave metres away to opposition forwards.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CASEY VS THE AUSSIES by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons played an exhibition match against an Australian Under 19 team at the MCG on Easter Saturday but the game was played with more than half an eye on the fact that whilst their senior counterpart was taking part in their AFL Round 5 game against St Kilda later that afternoon, they also had an assignment just four days later against Richmond.  The team, with 10 AFL Demons, opened strongly and dominated the first half to lead by four goals at the main break before taking most of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    EASTER BUNNIES by George on the Outer

    Easter is supposed to be an occasion of hope, revival and ultimately celebration.  But for the Demon supporters it was none of these as yet again their team was made Easter Bunnies by the Saints. With the exception of Christian Salem, there was not a single winner on the ground.  The danger for the Demons was giving the Saints their own hope and enthusiasm by conceding early goals.  That is exactly what happened in the first quarter, although with some ridiculous frees from the umpires clos

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MARCHING IN by The Oracle

    The most embarrassing loss of the 2018 season (perhaps aside from the Preliminary Final) for Melbourne was the one it suffered in Round 15 against lowly St Kilda. The Demons came into the game as a red hot favourite but were embarrassed by the Saints' speed and willingness to take the contest right up to them for virtually the full four quarters. It was a defeat that they were to bemoan for the remainder of the season. Their arrogance in going into the game and taking an opponent lightly was a c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    RELENTLESS by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons returned to the winning list with an emphatic 54 point victory over a limp North Melbourne VFL combination at Casey Fields on Saturday. Smarting from last week’s thrashing at Box Hill, the Demons came out of the blocks intent on redeeming themselves for their embarrassing start to the 2019 campaign.  After a brief early bout of inaccuracy, the goals flowed as a result of relentless pressure applied to the visitors who were constantly forced into error. The pleasing thi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TO A “T” by George on the Outer

    Thursday night football - not something Melbourne FC are accustomed to doing, especially after barely garnering a Friday night game for years. Yet with this opportunity, the Demons soundly beat the Swans at the SCG and put their season back on Track. This was not only a game of mental toughness, since the Demons had so far failed to win a game in 2019 and faced possibly a season ending prospect of 0-4, should they have failed in Sydney.  History was against them, and Buddy Frankli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SWANSONG by Whispering Jack

    They said that in 2019, the Melbourne Football Club was going to take its game to another level but we were never prepared for the level the club is reaching as it approaches the fourth round of the season holding up the entire AFL ladder in a match that could be its swansong for the year.    We were meant to be premiership contenders, not playing off for a wooden spoon which is what will be the case unless there is a sudden and dramatic turn around in our fortunes!    And whilst there

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A DAY TO FORGET by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons started the 2019 in unimpressive fashion with a 62 point loss to the  Box Hill Hawks at Box Hill City Oval. It was a total contrast to their 2018 opening when they monstered the Coburg Lions but the circumstances were entirely different. Twelve months ago, the Demons were able to go into the match with a large contingent of AFL listed players while yesterday, they went into the game with 12 Melbourne players, mostly inexperienced.  They were also hampered by the AFL sc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    2019 IS NOT 2018 by George on the Outer

    Seems like an obvious statement doesn’t it?   Yet the MFC coaching staff/team seem to have forgotten to change their calendars on January 1st. A 3 goal loss against the equal bottom side in the competition and now with a 0-3 record for the current season, it should be obvious that things have changed from 2018.  Not so on the field, as Melbourne continue to play the style which got them to a Preliminary final.   Once again the Demons saw 20 goals scored against them for the game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE NIGHT OF THE TORTOISES by The Oracle

    Friday night sees two clubs of which a great deal was expected in 2019, facing off in the battle of the slow starting tortoises. Both have had calamitous starts to the season and are sitting at 0-2. One of them will, by the end of the evening, be seeing their season slipping away from their grasp.   Both clubs are playing without confidence and without purpose. The Demons, who had the best-performed attack of all clubs last year, managed to convert 73 entries inside their forward 50 metre a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE CAT RUN by George on the Outer

    It truly became a “Cat Run” with an 80 point win to the home side, an outcome that had us wondering what happened to the Demons of 2018 when they got to a Preliminary final on the basis of their “brand” of contested football?   Well that part hasn’t changed any, since the likes of Clayton Oliver can win the ball 44 times in a game including 15 clearances, Angus Brayshaw racks up 33 touches with Jack Viney chipping in for 27 of this own.  In the ruck Max Gawn had 53 hitouts on the night, and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    REDEMPTION? by the Oracle

    How much should we be making out of Melbourne’s opening round loss on its home ground against an unfancied team from interstate in Port Adelaide?  The game was barely over before the excuses were coming out that about the lack of preparation of the team, the fact that some players were playing injured or unfit and unable to handle the humidity and the heat, the team’s lack of run and spread, the lack of experience and having too many key players injured or (in the case of Steven May) suspen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...