• Podcast      

tess

Daniel Ward named for betting on matches

Also just mentioned on Nine news- MFC has made no official comment other than confirming Daniel is being investigated.

If found guilty there could be up to $100,000 fine and a indefinite suspension.

They were found out when the AFL asked for an audit of all Betfair etc accounts.

I hope no other MFC players who like betting are involved!

Hopefully not Trapper for christ sake!!

Yeah I must admit when I first heard the story I automatically thought I bet Trav is one of them. Hope he isn't. Suprised to hear Ward though. I know he had a few problems years ago but I thought the club helped him through it. Obvioulsy still a gambler.

That's really disappointing, since this is his second 'scandal' involving gambling.

I was hoping that we could get through this pre-season without any off-field problems. Hopefully they sort it out quickly, and more importantly, TJ has nothing to do with it!

That's really disappointing, since this is his second 'scandal' involving gambling.

I was hoping that we could get through this pre-season without any off-field problems. Hopefully they sort it out quickly, and more importantly, TJ has nothing to do with it!

So far only Goodwin and Ward have been named.

I'll think you'll find that the 4th will be at another club (other than Melbourne, Adelaide or Sydney) else they would have named them as well. These clubs are obviously in damage control and shielding their players; but are naming them to stop further rumour mongering (like someone stupidly suggesting Trapper could be one with absolutely no basis except he is known to bet on horses in the past).

You'd have to be a complete bonehead to do that, seriously. How disappointing and embarressing for the club.

Upon hearing about the betting fiasco this morning, I immediately thought of Daniel Ward and Travis - and hoped like crazy they were not involved. When I found out it was Wardy, I thought what a [censored], how many chances does a guy need, etc, etc

Then I read about the Rookie from Sydney - my God - how serious is this - he wagered a grand total of less than $10 - God almighty, I let my kids put $10 on a horse in the Melbourne Cup, surely I must get them into a support group immediately!

The AFL is a joke - quite happy for a rookie to have his name tarnished for the sake of $10 - OK he is in the wrong but still, it is 10 bucks! They weren't too quick to have the names of the drug cheats released were they - I would much prefer my kids to have the odd wager at the TAB than to be snorting powder up their noses.

This whole thing is a joke surely!

keiren jack is the son of a rugby league star, and is a "prospect" more than a real footballer, probably put $10 on him self to win the brownlow

but, these are rules, should all face the penaltys, no matter how long they been in the game or how much they have put on

There are a couple of thorny issues involved.

Firstly the rule itself (as pointed out by Simon Beasley) can be easily flaunted and is almost impossible to police. I assume the only players that have been caught have had accounts in their own name.

Secondly Daniel Ward has been mentioned in despatches for gambling before - but this is not a second offense, nor is it related. The only issue in the first instance was a private matter that really should not have made the press and had absolutely nothing to do with him being an AFL footballer.

Like most people the players most renowned for a flutter came to mind first.... but would my response be any different if it was Brock that was named instead of Daniel. Its worth bearing that in mind when people frame their responses.

FWIW I think the AFL has a far bigger issue with recreational drugs than players betting on matches, but this should help to deflect attention and show AFL House's resolution to uphold the image of the game.

Very, very silly thing to do, considering how easy it would be to get around it. I'm just amazed that an AFL player could be this dumb to get caught.

anyone read mike shehans article about the drug issues in AFL?

says " a premiership player nearly died in las vegas this year, and if drugs werent involved, las vegas is in europe" or scose enough to that!!!

drugs are an issue in not just AFL, but life in general, it would be quite strange if major issues of addiction or overdose ect didnt come up amongst AFL players, for whats its worth, lead singer of "grinspoon" phil jamieson has just gone into rehab for ice addiction, australias first "celebrity" case

wont be long before an AFL player is in the same situation

The Herald Sun's front page article today contains material which IMO defames Daniel Ward.

"Goodwin yesterday admitted to betting on AFL matches not involving Adelaide, while it is believed repeat offender Ward included Melbourne victories in multi-sport bets over several codes."

Ward is not a "repeat offender". He admitted in 2003 to having problems with his gambling debts but I don't believe that gambling per se was an offence for AFL footballers or anyone else for that matter.

If what he's done is true, then he might have been stupid, but it's a bit of stretch for the Herald Sun to call him a "repeat offender" and to the extent that this slur could affect the result of the AFL's investigation and any penalty that might be imposed it should be withdrawn forthwith.

Sorry, but if what Caro in The Age says is correct, and Ward bet on games involving the demons, the club should sack him immediately. It's one thing, let's call it stupid, to bet on AFL games when you're an AFL player. It's trivial when you're a Sydney rookie and you have bet $10. But if Ward bet on games involving his club, our club, it looks like fixing, it's improper, it's an abuse, and we should sack him to deliver our own statement before the AFL delivers punishment.

Sorry, but if what Caro in The Age says is correct, and Ward bet on games involving the demons, the club should sack him immediately. It's one thing, let's call it stupid, to bet on AFL games when you're an AFL player. It's trivial when you're a Sydney rookie and you have bet $10. But if Ward bet on games involving his club, our club, it looks like fixing, it's improper, it's an abuse, and we should sack him to deliver our own statement before the AFL delivers punishment.

Come now Choko. That's even worse than the Hun. Where's there any evidence that Ward betting on Melbourne to win (in a multiple bet involving other codes) "looks like fixing"? Had he bet on the opposition, that claim might have had legs but you're certaintly not fixing anything if you pick your own team to win.

Choko we lost both those games and he bet on a Melbourne win.

He lost both times. How does that lead to game fixing?

While players betting on AFL matches is clearly wrong, surely there is another issue involving match-fixing that crops up every year.

The AFL system rewards winning less than a certain amount of games. How many times do we see teams in the bottom few spots on the ladder play all their youngsters and send their best players in for early surgery with a few rounds to go in the season? There are incentives to drop such games to obtain a higher and/or priority draft pick and the incentives are there for top level management rather than one player as is the case with betting.

I am not saying that the AFL shouldn't take this gambling issue seriously. But it is a little hypocritical to wholeheartedly promote "integrity" when there are things such as the draft system and fixture that compromise the game's integrity each year.

Yeh, I don't actually disagree that he did not match fix. What I'm saying is it is a fine line before it can have that appearance. Hypothetically, Ward could have had 50K on the game and gone out and belted Pavlich, Carr (who deserves it, mind you!) and Sandilands - maybe it would be worth it? AFL players have all sorts of insider knowledge, and I'm sorry, but any professional has to know that betting on your own team is over the line.