Wells 11

Our supporter stereotype

Wondering how people feel about the constant barrage we get from the media here. . Constant joking about the clothes we're wearing, the holidays we take, the snow, the cars. Even when we're  winning finals and our supporter base is CLEARLY as fired up and passionate as any in the league its STILL coming. 

Personally it always hurts me a little. The feeling behind the ribbing  is that none of us care and Im sick of it.   I get we're stuck with it, but the sense that melbourne supporters are spoilt tossers doesnt sit well well with me nor ever has. As as far as I know it we have suffered more than the average supporter.....and the fire burns in us every bit as deeply,  if not deeper than the average supporter. fitzroy excluded. 

Maybe other people don't mind it as much as I do? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s just stereotype banter, just like the toothless Pies fans, feral grog squad Tigers, handbagger Cats, non existent North fans (though there’s something to that). 

Use it to light a fire under you and stick it up them when we win!

• Like 1

Water off a ducks back Wellsy, never skied in my life either. 

• Like 1

The stereotype of having money, going to the snow and driving a range rover and mocked and jeered by working class bogans who wish they could pretend they fit within the stereotype.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A lot of the supporters that have come on board since Roosy are not stereotypically Melbourne. You can see that at the games. Channel 7 pick out the Private Schoolboys going mad in the crowd just to perpetuate a myth. I hate hearing 'Go Dees', but it is palatable whilst we are winning. Go Demons or Go Melbourne is better! 

• Like 2

There are worse stereotypes. Excuse me while I dust the snow  off my Range Rover with my tartan blanket before getting my manservant to register a few dozen barcodes I've somehow managed to accumulate.

• Like 2

Collingwood Supporters drive Prados now. I guess we have evolved to Range Rovers. That is the employed Collingwood supporters do! 😂 

Ian Cover and Champs (Coodabeens, ABC radio) have got some gripe with Melbourne, they cannot save themselves from making snide remarks. Cover was shocking on Saturday morning, don't know what his issue is. Fortunately they have a young guy on there now, "Andy" who remarked to Cover that they  (Melbourne supporters) wouldn't be driving Range Rovers, they would be driving Teslas....

Water off a ducks back. I’d rather be known the way we are than known as toothless bogans. It’s all just a bit of fun though IMO. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Love 1

Mmm - I sort of fit the stereotype. Except I’ve only been skiing twice.

in my defence I had no choice (and neither did my kids).

im 5th generation. My great great grandfather came to Melbourne in 1855, and his decedents (including me) have been mcc members and mfc supporters since the 1870’s. At least I’ve been a paid up mfc member for 40 of my 51 years!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I embrace parts of it in a self effacing way but I also know the truth which allows me to laugh.

Like many stereotypes, there is an element of truth. I have met my fair share of Lieutenant George style upper class knobs in my time barracking for the Dees. But I have also met mechanics, builders and cockies who barrack for us as well. 

I remember an interview with Greg Sword, secretary of the NUW and ALP President, on the Footy Show all the way back in 2001 when Joe was organizing an alternative board after he had resigned. He had signed up Sword as a member and Eddie came out with his usual 'Demons fans can't be working men' spiel. Greg summed it up quite well in response: one preference doesn't define you as a person and to think so is narrow and silly.

I've barracked for the Dees nigh on 30 years now and I was born in Melton South.  What does that make me? Blueblood or bogan? We are all idiosyncratic in our own way and it's best to ignore the muppets.

Just grin and bear it, and then chuck the shiraz bottle at them. If that doesn't work, follow up with a frisbee-style toss of the cheeseboard ... 😀

• Like 4

The stereotype is tedious and annoying but also so completely untrue there's no point caring.

The true 'stereotype' is that the decades of disappointment have trimmed away all the fat, there are no 'soft' Demons supporters and the shared pain builds a bond.

In the moment, you could even have Prodee and Binman and Dieter and myself all having a joint laugh and/or scream. Even though away from football we've be like 4 pins in a water-balloon full of p!ss tied to a celing fan.

We're a mixed bunch unified only by the fact that we are proven to be the most passionate and commited supporter group in the AFL.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

31 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Not to worry ... imagine what you get if you're  a Collingwood supporter 🙂

Indeed. I'd much rather have 2 manservants and a cheeseboard than 2 teeth and a cunningly maxed-out dole cheque.

• Like 1

Never skied a day in my life. Never been to the snow. Never even seen snow. Wife does have a Range Rover but not in a stereotypical Melbourne way. 

• Haha 3

If we rise others must fall.

I wouldn’t worry too much about incoming sour grapes from the likes of Cover ( we just dispensed his mob).

I felt Clarkson in his aftermatch comments, alluded to the fact that other good teams didn’t make the 8. He also said they had to address their list and do some trading.

So could it simply be just that we’ve decided to add a new dimension to their lives, with a playing memo  that says -

“ hang on ,there is a bit of a changing of the guard going on here”

They can say what they like, we do to.

Screamed Judas ever time Frawley got the ball Friday night and it felt great.

For a laugh I bought a fine French cheese platter after each of the finals wins so far, quaffed with some Bordeaux. My brother went skiing R23 though and we had a really good laugh about it. And there a Demons stickers on the cars, which are European. We draw the line at voting Liberal though (-; Embrace the cliches I say.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Problem is some demon fans use self-depricating humour, just accept it when other people hang it on our club instead of defending themselves. This needs to stop. We have to stop accepting abuse and bad things being said by others and ourselves and start to show pride in our club.  Be more defensive

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

As far as stereotypes go, it could be worse. I never understood why being well off is meant to be a negative? I guess you need to be a Richmond or Collingwood supporter to understand.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

The part of the stereotype is the "Well done number 2" stuff. Like we don't know our own players, or anything about footy. The rest is water off a ducks back