Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

1964 memories- calling our older supporters

Cassiew

4 hours ago, MT64 said:

I'll try and keep it short. I've been very fortunate to have seen the premierships from 55' onwards and we started the cheer squad in 1959 sitting by the old race before moving to the Punt Road end.

Gday Mal, isn't it a great time of the year Sept,    Go Demons     call you later Pity you cannot get to Perth,  at least we are still here to see it

• Like 1

First VFL game I ever saw ... standing room in the southern near the scoreboard... I was 14... my old man and his brother Don quickly drank 6 cans each and reinserted them into the plastic rings for me to stand on ... Gabbos stumbling run seemed in slow motion but then a back pocket kicking a goal was insane that day..

• Like 5

I was 10 years old.  Great uncle Bill was always able to get tickets in the days when you had to buy a series ticket.  The pre game at the old MCG Hotel was the first time I'd ever sat in a front bar anywhere.

As for the game itself, I'd always loved John Lord.  It seemed unbelievable that a bloke as bald as grandpa was actually playing footy. And the revolting Gabelich clocked him - boo.  Don Williams was a favourite though with the brycreemed, slick back hair and white ankle bandages. 

Sadly, the game is a mist.  I remember celebrating but didn't that always happen?  I mean Melbourne always won.  So imagine how shocked I was 12 months later and they didn't make the four!

• Like 4

My memories of 1964.

They start at Glenferrie Oval in round 17. Hassa Mann kicked a goal from the boundary, we won by 4 points and we secured top spot. A loss would have placed us in real jeopardy. The following week we lost badly to the dogs but it did not affect first place.

In those days, the finals were civilised. One final each week for four weeks. First semi, second semi, prelim and grand final. I had bought the cheapest standing room series tickets (yes, all four matches) in the open stand under the old scoreboard (now I believe at Manuka Oval - much more interesting but couldn't handle instant score reviews or obnoxious ads and interviews).

Catters beat bombers in first semi then dees thrashed filth by 89 points in second semi. Filth beat catters by 4 points in a low scoring match in prelim. Then it was our turn. Not unexpectedly, after a 89 point flogging, we were deserved favourites.

Torrid, hard contest all game and we were behind by 2 points at half time. 2.3 to 0.2 in the third gave us an 11 point lead at 3QT. Up until then the match had been an non momentous blur.  Gabbo's run changed that.

Ray Gabelich was a man mountain (listed as 6 foot 3 1/2 inches and 18 stone 10 pounds which translate to 192 cm and 120 kg) who, in those days, could take a whole season to get match fit because of his size and the slower pace of the game,. Until this day he had never run more than to the toilet but, when he gathered the ball and took off with no one between him and the goals, the ground shook. Step by step, crooked bounce by crooked bounce, he ran to the goal square and kicked a goal. Tony Anderson ran his guts out to reach him but was too late.

I became a despondent, depressed, despairing demon and couldn't watch. I cannot recall watching Hassa miss but I came alive when i saw the ball sailing through the goals to where I was standing.  Neil Crompton, the average rover who became a sensation in the back pocket, will live forever.

We had reclaimed our rightful position as premiers and so the excitement and celebration was muted. If I had known what was to come, I might have celebrated harder. The following year, we won the first eight games straight (albeit some by small margins) until the day the world changed on Queen';s Birthday v sainters.

Alan Jeans, their then coach, made the move of the century and swapped Bob Murray to FB and Verdun Howell to FF. They were on the road to success, we had tasted almost too much and we were thrashed by, I think, 63 points. We had started our long losing streak and didn't see finals again until 1987. 

This year's outcome is still to be revealed but I am heartened by the quality of the boys who represent our club. I believe that they are as good as any group we have had in 54 years and still have enormous potential. 2020 is the year when they should emerge as the beat.

Fifty years later, I had the great thrill to attend a lunch at the Bentleigh Club to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the premiership. In attendance that day were 14 of the 20 premiership heroes.

The team:

Crompton  Massey   Johnson

Davis  Roet  Anderson

Adams   Williams  Dixon

Vagg  Jacobs  Kenneally

Lord  Bourke  Townsend

McLean Emselle

Goalkickers:

Townsend 3 Lord 2 Bourke Mann CROMPTON 1

Scores:

Q1 2.6.18  2.5.17

Q2  5.7.37  5.9.39

Q3  7.10.52  5.11.41

Q4  8.16.64  8.12.60

Go dees.

• Like 8
  • Love 3

On another matter, i went to the game on the day without a ticket and just expected i'd get one from a scalper, they used to stand around and have tickets in their hand. This day however, there were none around and I thought i'd misjudged it. 

Then I saw a guy with something in his hand that looked like a ticket so I approached him and asked if it was for sale, he said it was but it was a ground pass that the staff have and he wanted 10 shillings for it. I was a bit reluctant to part with my half a quid but he assured me that it was ok, so I bought it and he pointed me to the gate I had to go in and off I went.

It all worked out ok and I got in, but I was only a staff pass away from missing the last Grand Final we won for over 50 years, well worth the 10 shillings, which for those that don't know is one Dollar.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, 640MD said:

Gday Mal, isn't it a great time of the year Sept,    Go Demons     call you later Pity you cannot get to Perth,  at least we are still here to see it

Couldn't go over (still have family & friends there) as my surgeon has decided to do a full knee replacement today. Will have to watch on T.V. Barrack hard for all of us.

Blimey. There are a lot of “old people”

around !

I look in the mirror as a 20 year old and stare back as the 69 year old fart I really am,  Come on Demons   No time like the present to make history ! 

Do not let this chance slip go Hard !

4 hours ago, old dee said:

I was there in 64 and before that in 60. DOF has described it perfectly. I remember it as thought it was yesterday. The over powering memory I have driving home with my father to the country was that following the Redlegs ( no Dees in 64) was that this would go on forever. My father and I had standing room tickets and we were at the ground when the gates opened. Saw the under 19 game then the Seconds game and then the big dance.

How wrong was I but still I have done what few on here have done and that is see two GF wins.

We still have to get there but I have not enjoyed games like the last four for a very long time.

Go Dees.

(no DEES in 64)

Hi old dee..  I think you'll find the ''Dees'' was born during the 1994 Qualifying Final against Carlton... when Schwarta was taking hold, before or after half time... in a big fight-back against the Blues who had control for a while.

I know, I was there when it happened. very close to me.

... around about Bay M50

Edited by DV8

5 hours ago, deefender said:

In 1964 all radio was from a power point. There were no transistor radios. I listened to the grand final as a twelve year old on the family radiogram.

I was there for ‘87 and at Waverley too. The Dees have unfinished business.

Momentum and belief are powerful forces when combined.

Step aside. We’re on our way.

Aah yes, the Family Radiogram. Every house had one in the 60’s and early 70’s, a most beautiful piece of essential furniture.

the valves would take at least 5 minutes to warm up, and that is when the sound would sweeten up...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Aah yes, the Family Radiogram. Every house had one in the 60’s and early 70’s, a most beautiful piece of essential furniture.

the valves would take at least 5 minutes to warm up, and that is when the sound would sweeten up...

The old valve radios had a beautiful mellow sound.  

• Like 1

As an aside, I was born in January 1958 - my mum was a long standing Demon fan and had grown in the 30’s 40’s and 50’s and had literally seen them all!!!

In 1958, she organised tickets and a baby sitter for her first born so she and dad could go to see us equal the filth’s record. We know what happened next, and I have felt that jinx ever since!!

In 64, mum was inside with my 2 younger siblings who had come along and dad and I were outside “doing some gardening” with the radio blaring across the back lawn. When the siren went dad (who is a kiwi and only a token Aussie rules supporter) grabbed my little footy and threw it so high into the air that I thought it would land on the roof!!

I remember great excitement and joy and sitting listening to older Melbourne cousins and uncles when they returned from the game and who re-lived Gabo’s run and Froggie’s goal over and over again.

I love this club - despite all the bad times since - go Dees on Saturday in the West and may we again dare to dream!!

Go lads!

• Like 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, america de cali said:

The old valve radios had a beautiful mellow sound.  

They sure did. 

And still do, there is still a steady market for valve Amps at the top end. 

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1

I was a 12 year old and went to the G with a mate and his dad. All I can remember is we couldn't get into the Demon room after the game so snuck in the Maggies and saw the big Gabelich with a tallie of Melb bitter. Sticks out in my old mine like it was yesterday

7 hours ago, deefender said:

In 1964 all radio was from a power point. There were no transistor radios. I listened to the grand final as a twelve year old on the family radiogram.

I was there for ‘87 and at Waverley too. The Dees have unfinished business.

Momentum and belief are powerful forces when combined.

Step aside. We’re on our way.

I listened on my brothers car radio in the front yard, he caught the train to the match, I was too young to go (7)

Edit: That can't be right must have been my mothers or fathers car, my brother was only 16. So the car was either a Zephyr or a Borgward, yes that's how long ago our last flag was.

Edited by ManDee

I was born in 1946 and started barracking for Melbourne in 1952 since we were from Europe you always barracked for a team which was named after the town you lived in or had colors of the town you lived in Europe since my fathers team in Europe had colors of purple and white we decided to barrack for Melbourne.  My father and I went to the football in 1954 onwards and went all the finals since you had to buy tickets to the complete set of finals we gave away the tickets to the salvos which we did not use.

The GF wins were great but when Norm Smith was sacked my father said to me he would never see another premiership in his life time, he died in 2007 and did not have to endure the period of rubbish which this club served up to the fans.

The best GF win in my opinion was in 1960 when it rained all day and Collingwood did not kick a goal until the final quarter.

In all my time as a supporter and worker for the MFC (1976-1986) I have never seen a midfield better than the current team, the only team was the 1955 -1957 teams were Stuart Spencer, Ron Barassi, Brian Dixon (Geoff Case), Ian McLean, Ken Melvile (Laurie Mithen)  and Ian Ridley dominated the competition. We have never had a ruckman better than Gawn probably the Cordner's and Stynes where almost as good.

The 1964 team was the end of an era and was probably lucky to win the premiership but when games are that close luck plays a part in the win and Ian Crompton was following his opponent (Ian Burns?) down the ground when the ball came loose and his shot was instinctive since he was a rover before he became a backman. The crowd erupted and I was watch the bench inside the fence virtually all the trainers and coach jumped up. Then I remember our runner (trainer Alec ?) race out giving player instructions that the siren was eminent. The bench used to wave a towel when the game went into time on. The Melbourne timekeeper (George Bell) had sent a message to the boundary that there was only seconds left.

These are my best memories of the great Melbourne Football Club sides and I enjoy the period of success but hated we became a rable until Northey, Balme, Daniher, Roos and Goodwin.

Unfortunately Barassi's time at the club was ruined by player becoming injured and leaving (Wells) for better teams.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Dante said:

You have to remember we were a super team throughout the 50’s and 60’s so you went to the ground expecting to win every week, it never entered my mind that we’d lose the 64 GF so it was just a normal week, to me at least.

If someone had said to me, as I was leaving the ground, that we wouldn’t win another flag for over 50 years, I would have thought they were crazy. 

1965 started as per usual with the MFC winning but of course Barrasi had left for Carlton.

I can remember going to Princes Park to watch us play the Blues. Sat on top of an old tin shed with a load of other kids to watch the game. We won that day.

In fact we won the first 8 straight and then the unimaginable happened... we lost to the Saints and won 2 out of the next 10 games.

Being a Demon supporter has never quite been the same again.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

By chance came across some old photos this morning. 

In  the car park boot open enjoying the moment pre 88 GF, thinking back we thought we had made it.  

In reality we were nowhere near it.

we thought making the GF was it. 

That attidude meant we were going to get thumped hard, as we were ! 

This time ( hope I am not in front of myself) no relaxation until the fat lady is singing OUR song late in the last !

Go DEMONS  !!

1964 I was a six year old in a MFC family but we went skiing up at Perisher Valley! The old man got a bit complacent, thought there would be many more finals to be played. He was born in Cooma and was keen to get back to his early days skiing in the Snowy Mountains pre WWII. We loved it and I can still remember my first run down a slippery slope, so no issue with missing the GF.