Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes v Geelong - Elimination Final

Whispering_Jack

After watching the last two games against Geelong, here are my top 5 matchups that I'm worried about:

1. It's not Hawkins - Menzel is more mobile than Hawkins and can take a good grab: (I say Frost here due to mobility, OMAC has done well on Hawkins and should continue his progress). 

2. Selwood - Duck central, can pull a free or four, needs an honest tag - need consistent but fair attention: (Harmes)

3. Danger - not number 1 or 2 because he's proven to be easily spooked/emotional when tagged: - (P.S. I love you Bernie!) Need someone who could continuously annoy him and then play their own game when it breaks out: (Viney)

4. Kelly - a feeder on loose balls, I don't have an obvious identified opponent for this one...

5. Blicavs - X-factor in defence, seems to be able to intercept, pinch-hit, spoil like no other and run it out. One of our forwards needs to be aware of his mobility and figure out a vulnerability to exploit.

Ultimately - I say we back our game. Geelong tends to push the wings, short chip in the back half, and then go to traditional key position players and marking up the ground. For us, we're harder at the contest, we confuse the opponent with quick handballs and clear the stoppage. Our fire-power in front and our recent 'eyes lowered' entrances into 50 give us a good chance at putting on scoreboard pressure. Further, over the last two (2) weeks, we've demonstrated an ability to force - or at the very least - create doubt for the opponent, by applying constant pressure to the ball carrier prior to delivery, which has regularly translated into a turn-over.

However - Our ability to gut-run back, after a heavy forward press, tends to leave us open in the back-line, and creates opportunities for the adversary to capitalize on. Although we've improved in this area, it's not yet convincing and is a weakness that I don't have the knowledge or experience in how to combat. 

6. Ablett - Jones will have his measure. But a Viney chicken-wing will suffice :)

Happy for other views, thoughts, corrections and other issues that I've neglected.

Cheers,

DN

• Like 2

Strangely I think Garlett would revel in the climate of a final.

If Garlett puts in a strong performance this week at Casey, with high pressure and team acts then he could be a big chance to replace Kent. 

Biggest concern is Kent is stronger in his body while Garlett is more your traditional crummer (and they don’t seem to have the greatest records in finals). 

That said Garlett has a magic that when he’s on he can be a match winner, sadly only seen once for the seniors this year against Brisbane. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Selwood's clapping a "nice" touch too.

Viney needs to make Ablett cry. Put him on his bum, hard.

Then Dangerfield (who'll get up smiling).

Then Selwood (who'll need 50 or 60 knocks)

But yeah, we need to muscle up a bit

If someone does something like Franklin did to Fritsch (who got up as if it didn't happen) without some payback I'll spew

Need to get Old Testament, none of this New Testament turn the other chick bizzo.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DeezNuts said:

After watching the last two games against Geelong, here are my top 5 matchups that I'm worried about:

1. It's not Hawkins - Menzel is more mobile than Hawkins and can take a good grab: (I say Frost here due to mobility, OMAC has done well on Hawkins and should continue his progress). 

2. Selwood - Duck central, can pull a free or four, needs an honest tag - need consistent but fair attention: (Harmes)

3. Danger - not number 1 or 2 because he's proven to be easily spooked/emotional when tagged: - (P.S. I love you Bernie!) Need someone who could continuously annoy him and then play their own game when it breaks out: (Viney)

4. Kelly - a feeder on loose balls, I don't have an obvious identified opponent for this one...

5. Blicavs - X-factor in defence, seems to be able to intercept, pinch-hit, spoil like no other and run it out. One of our forwards needs to be aware of his mobility and figure out a vulnerability to exploit.

Ultimately - I say we back our game. Geelong tends to push the wings, short chip in the back half, and then go to traditional key position players and marking up the ground. For us, we're harder at the contest, we confuse the opponent with quick handballs and clear the stoppage. Our fire-power in front and our recent 'eyes lowered' entrances into 50 give us a good chance at putting on scoreboard pressure. Further, over the last two (2) weeks, we've demonstrated an ability to force - or at the very least - create doubt for the opponent, by applying constant pressure to the ball carrier prior to delivery, which has regularly translated into a turn-over.

However - Our ability to gut-run back, after a heavy forward press, tends to leave us open in the back-line, and creates opportunities for the adversary to capitalize on. Although we've improved in this area, it's not yet convincing and is a weakness that I don't have the knowledge or experience in how to combat. 

6. Ablett - Jones will have his measure. But a Viney chicken-wing will suffice :)

Happy for other views, thoughts, corrections and other issues that I've neglected.

Cheers,

DN

Harry Taylor is another one who worries me. We don't know where he is going to play - forward or back. I think he could get swung both ways. Smart, mature player who could lift a gear in finals

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DeezNuts said:

Cheers,

DN

Hibberd is perfect match up for menzel. Frost to Hawkins

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, -Ⓥ- said:

If someone does something like Franklin did to Fritsch (who got up as if it didn't happen) without some payback I'll spew

Need to get Old Testament, none of this New Testament turn the other chick bizzo.

Fritsch is a no nonsense player. Keeps his mind on the game. I think it was the umpires who let him down. If they want to stop retaliation problems it should have been a 50 and  a bit of a warning from them. They did nothing. The protected "super stars" get away with it again. No wonder the thugs win in our game. Rhetoric from AFL to set standards for the juniors. It is a joke. I hope we continue to play hard, fair and not turn to the nastiness of those prepared to assault others in order to intimidate. Punches and bullying is not acceptable in the real world. we don't have to encourage it in sport. Keeping the skilled out of the game because of those prepared to use violence. The young will copy what they see on the field of AFL. Standards should be high. I understand violence can influence  games and brings alot of emotion to the spectators BUT it is a bad role model for a society struggling with assault. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, rjay said:

When playing I used to say to my teammates, "you don't run on your hands"...it was back when we thought we were tough and it would need to be a pretty serious upper body injury to keep you out.

Harmes & Oliver have both played within days of hand surgery, so who knows how that compares to this.' @Webber' our resident physio might have a bit more info.

Apparently the big issue for Dom is the pain management side.

Will be an interesting selection.

You’re right rjay, the landscape for return to playing after internal fixation (of non weight bearing bones) has become progressively more ambitious, and the sole determinant is now pretty much comfort, which in respect to Dom’s ulna, will relate mostly to handballing and marking. If he can do both with no loss of efficiency, he’ll be available. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/29/2018 at 10:58 AM, In Harmes Way said:

Anybody calling for Spargo to be dropped needs to look at the footage of the last qtr - just after his last (missed) shot for goal with about 7 mins to go, he puts Whitfield on his arse from the resultant kickin. He's got a bit of mongrel in him, as well as pace and makes good decisions (that handball assist to Jones for a goal late in the game was gold). He gut runs.....well, does everything Jeffy isn't doing really. 

Another Jason Taylor success story. Stays for mine.

Luv that little pocket rocket.. . he's a good thing.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 11:14 PM, DeezNuts said:

Cheers,

DN

I think on the match-ups, >

I think Frost to Menzel.

Jones to Selwood.

I'd like to see Viney, if he can run out the game, go to Ablett...  and spook him, as you say... when Ablett is around the middle. - not up forward.

Harmes to take on Danger, when around the mid part of the ground. Play him close, and make him love you Harmes'y.

Would Joel Smith play as a defensive forward, minding Blicavs, and hurt him our way.

Harry Taylor?  another possibility for Joel Smith, as a run with role?

Fritsch, or JWagner both possibilities for Kelly?

Edited by DV8

On 8/29/2018 at 10:58 AM, In Harmes Way said:

Anybody calling for Spargo to be dropped needs to look at the footage of the last qtr -                                                   

He's got a bit of mongrel in him, as well as pace and makes good decisions (that handball assist to Jones for a goal late in the game was gold).

Right in front of me the handball,  he did it without thought, grab handball one motion,  knew where it was going, you could see he had made his mind up about 1metre before he collected it, and the goal from Jones topped it off.  PURE GOLD,

Go Dees

• Like 2

The game will be won or lost one kick on from the contest.  If we allow them to mark the ball easily, then it gives us problems.  If we make the next kick a contest and win it, then we can set up and move the ball forward, or lock it in our forward half.  We know their midfield is experienced, but an bunch of old cheaters loved by the maggots.  They have a forward in form (Hawkins) and an average defence.  We are faster and stronger than them.

Harmes goes to Danger or Selwood in the middle.  Jordan Lewis can sit on Ablett if he is forward of the ball (snail racing, anyone?).  Frost should start on Hawkins, And Pig will own Menzel.

They will be wary of Max and Oliver in their nice new blazers (AA on the pocket), and may try to use Biclavs to ruck against max to get more run in the middle.  Wonder how they are thinking of covering us?  We should throw down the gauntlet and go for it - defensive cover for only a few players of theirs, and hit them hard everywhere else with speed and brute force.

At our best, we are better and should win by >30 points.  It depends how we handle the pressure of finals.

• Like 1

In: Viney, Hannan, Smith

Out: Tyson, Kent, JKH

Smith back in allows Fritsch to play his more natural wing half forward position however I am unsure the match up. Tyson was just starting to play quality football with a functioning body let alone a healing arm. No need to risk him and rush him back. Hannan will be a difficult finals match up and showed in WA the damage he can do in a finals type atmosphere. 

At least its fair to say we have options. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

In: Viney, Hannan, Smith

Out: Tyson, Kent, JKH

Smith back in allows Fritsch to play his more natural wing half forward position however I am unsure the match up. Tyson was just starting to play quality football with a functioning body let alone a healing arm. No need to risk him and rush him back. Hannan will be a difficult finals match up and showed in WA the damage he can do in a finals type atmosphere. 

At least its fair to say we have options. 

Big call on Joel after 1 week back in the VFL, from a collarbone/shoulder injury.

5 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Big call on Joel after 1 week back in the VFL, from a collarbone/shoulder injury.

They clearly love him and want him in the side. He is either mended or not and would not have lost km's in the legs.  

I reckon defensive closing speed has more meaning in finals than general season and he has it in spades. This and the ability to get Fritsch back up the ground.

No changes were made for the GWS game and I'm sure they'll want to make as few changes as possible for this game.

In: Viney, Hannan

Out: Kennedy-Harris, Kent

I know Kennedy-Harris has got better and contested well, and by all reports shone on the track yesterday, but he's a casualty of not quite being best 22 with a full complement of mid size players.

A confident and inform Hannan offers real X-factor to the team.

Put simply, we're better with these changes.

• Like 6