• Podcast:      

• Podcast:      

In it to win it....

WattsUp2312

I’m now giddishly excited like an 8 yr old at Xmas

we have as good a chance of any team in doing well in the finals, but what does everyone else think we need to fix or improve make a dent?

i still think we are to sucked into ball chasing vs spread....too many teams seem to be able to go 80-90m vs us too often. We lose ridiculous rebound goals.

also, the importance of hibberd and melksham can’t be understated. They give us balance at the back and in attack. Oscar and Neville much better today with Hibberd there.

finally, conversion. We missed 5-6 sitters again...sort that out and we’ll be hard to stop.

Might as well be in it to win it this year...I think we’re a sneaky chance.

• Like 1

I want to agree with you but I dont think so. Playing finals is a massive tick for the club and winning a final even better. the only way we ( or anyone imo)  get close is if the Tiges get some injuries to key players. I just Dont think we're in the tigers class or even the pies tbh. Need a big recruit over the summer and a fit Viney, lever and Hogan back in the side. . 

• Like 1

For all those young Dees, I really hope results go our way next week to earn a home final and you get to experience the MCG roar of the Dees breaking such a long finals drought.

I still remember the roar against North in our first final in 87, what a day that was and what a ride it was until we just fell short in the Prelim. Childhood memories Go Dees

I think the pre-finals week off will be a massive deal for us. So many young players and quite a few 'old' players who all can gain a lot from a proper recovery period. Not to mention a certain ruckman who must be more than a bit battered and bruised by now.

Plus, also, probable co-captain arrival may help. If he's ready.

Every team but Richmond has had at the least some really shaky patches this season, and most of the top 8 are battling injury loads and inconsistency.

Plus, you have to remember, the whole thing has been set by destiny for maximum EPIC Demon triumph.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

I want to agree with you but I dont think so. Playing finals is a massive tick for the club and winning a final even better. the only way we ( or anyone imo)  get close is if the Tiges get some injuries to key players. I just Dont think we're in the tigers class or even the pies tbh. Need a big recruit over the summer and a fit Viney, lever and Hogan back in the side. . 

The Pies have beaten no one (except us). Have they beaten a top 2 team yet no. Time to put the pressure on them. Richmond are playing above themselves they will be no match for us. WE HAVE THE PREMIERSHIP IN THE BAG BABY ESPECIALLY WITH VINEY COMING BACK.

Am I getting ahead of myself?

We will go back to back with Gaff and Hogan in the side.

• Like 1

If we can win one final would be a bonus, but don't think we can go much further than that. Would be very different with Lever, Hogan and Viney, but you can't take out that kind of talent, all of whom play key roles, and still expect to perform at the pointy end.

4 hours ago, Vandenberger With The Lot said:

I almost feel like we should have two banners or quotes up the locker room at the club and on match day from now on.

"Why Not Us?" - Neale Daniher
"Whatever it takes" - Jimmy Stynes

Right now I'm just happy to be there. Some people might scoff at that and say its a loser mindset and maybe you're right but I personally think we need to temper our expectations. To win a final is probably all I am really aiming for but if we manage to get further of course we'll take it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

FEE-FI-FO-FUM by George on the Outer

“Fee-fi-fo-fum, without a Full Forward the Premiership can’t be won!” So said the GWS Giants, as they exposed Melbourne’s fatal deficiency with a nine point win at the MCG.  In past weeks Melbourne has been barely able to gloss over the lack of a serious target in front of goal, while others were able to contribute.  But in a near repeat of the game from the previous week, players running up the ground simply had no-one to kick the ball to, when all that was needed was that one tall target.

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

MUCH ADO ABOUT EVERYTHING by Whispering Jack

Let's face it. We Melbourne supporters are a demanding lot. Here we are with our team on top of the ladder with a record of 12 wins and 2 losses, a decent percentage and a fair run home for a team with finals credentials. We have a fit list with lots of in form players, many of who are in contention for All Australian and other high honours, the team’s playing with purpose and cohesion and its VFL affiliate is undefeated and going gangbusters.  Still, we're all walking around with conc

Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews