Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 22

Demonland

Interesting how the biggest hypocrite on this site laments hypocrisy...

I would prefer Garlett to Hannan. Kent and Weideman have a great opportunity that didn't look likely a few weeks ago.

Spargo, Spargo, Spargo...

I think he is cooked. Evidently, the club doesn't agree. Huge stakes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bing181 said:

No it shows that we have players going out injured who we need to cover, as well as players coming back from injury who we need to find a place for.

The other 2 changes -  which constitute just under 1/10 of the team - are form/performance related, though even there, they're largely part of juggling players as a consequence of others who are out injured - JKH wouldn't have been in the team in the first place without injuries to Viney and Stretch (and perhaps Maynard).

But heh, the sky is falling.

spin it as you like... five changes = instability in anyone's books

Looks a good team even without Hogan ... we absolutely need the Weid to stand up and be a presence so Tommy can shine.  He just needs to play in front with multiple leads,  compete hard and fight for possession.  In the corridor through the hot-spot where the heat is.  If the ball falls to ground our crumbers can capitalize from goal-scoring range.

The rest of the line-up is quite capable of delivering the chocolates ... 5 changes sends a rocket so the team is therefore on notice.  And there's nothing wrong with that from time to time.  

I'd like to say I'm confident but if we do win,  we're playing finals.  A fantastic incentive in my book.

• Like 1

Huge test for this playing group over the next few weeks.

Right now I agree they are what every opposition supporter likes to tell me they are...a group that doesn't like it when the physicality steps up.

We've got injuries and they've got injuries. We've heard every excuse under the sun for the last 20 years, but this next two weeks will show us what this particular group is made of. When push comes to shove, will they again be the ones getting shoved?

This is all about the players.

2 hours ago, Older demon said:

5 changes and only 2 forced due to injury. Been a while since the club made such a big statement. I hope it results in success......

3 due to injury or coming back from injury. Hibberd replaces Hunt, but Melksham isn't the replacement for Hogan, Weideman is.

On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 6:37 AM, Demonland said:

JESSE WHO? by The Oracle

The news that Jesse Hogan is out of contention to play with the Demons until 2019 after suffering a foot injury during their nine-point loss to the Swans at the MCG last Sunday might have sent feelings of shock and aware through the community of Demon supporters but I’m not overly concerned about the fact that the club’s key forward will be sidelined for the rest of the season.

The reason why is that Melbourne seems to produce its best wins without Hogan in the team. There were the big breakthrough wins over Geelong and Hawthorn in 2015 and 2016 respectively and last year, it overcame top eight clubs Adelaide and the West Coast Eagles, both times away from home. 

That is not to say that the team won’t feel the loss of its leading goal kicker of the season but the impact of his absence does not necessarily portend the doom and gloom that some of the pundits are predicting.

Last week against the Sydney Swans, Hogan played with his injury for at least three quarters. As early as in the second quarter, he was visibly limping and in hindsight, the team performance might have benefited from him being declared injured and not to return to the playing field. Given that he was clearly unable to perform at his best, this might well have made the difference in a game where the Demons’ inability to find the goals played a significant role in their failure to bring home the four points. 

The fundamental fact remains that the club leads the competition in contested possessions and centre clearances which have contributed to it also leading the way in inside 50s, marks inside 50 and scoring. Melbourne has also performed better away from the MCG this year than it has done at home and, whilst it has its injury woes, so does West Coast which barely managed the win last week against a tiring Port Adelaide that finished the game off with barely a whimper.

This game is evenly poised and the absence of a key forward on either side is not going to make the difference.

THE GAME

West Coast v Melbourne at Optus Stadium Saturday 19 August 2018 at 3.20pm.

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall West Coast 33 wins Melbourne 16 wins

At Domain Stadium West Coast 15 wins Melbourne 6 wins

Past five meetings West Coast 4 wins Melbourne 1 win

The Coaches Simpson 0 wins Goodwin 1 win

MEDIA

TV - Channel 7, Fox Sports 3, Live at 3.00pm

RADIO - Triple M 3AW ABC ABC Grandstand

THE LAST TIME THEY MET

Melbourne 15.9.99 defeated West Coast 14.12.96 in Round 14, 2017 at Domain Stadium

In a tense, close game Melbourne looked gone midway through the last quarter but it launched a successful come back and capped it off with an unlikely victory thanks to Tom McDonald’s goal square gymnastics. His  five-goals for the night helped  break a nine-game losing streak against the Eagles.

THE TEAMS  

WEST COAST EAGLES

B: Shannon Hurn, Tom Barrass, Brad Sheppard 
HB: Thomas Cole, Jeremy McGovern, Lewis Jetta 
? Chris Masten, Elliot Yeo, Jamie Cripps 
HF: Mark Hutchings, Jack Darling, Mark LeCras 
F: Willie Rioli, Nathan Vardy, Brendon Ah Chee 
Foll: Scott Lycett, Jack Redden, Luke Shuey 
I/C: Liam Duggan, Liam Ryan, Dom Sheed, Daniel Venables
Emg: Matthew Allen, Jackson Nelson, Francis Watson, Jake Waterman

No change

MELBOURNE 

B: Neville Jetta, Oscar McDonald, Jordan Lewis
HB: Christian Salem, Sam Frost, James Harmes
? Alex Neal-Bullen, Clayton Oliver, Angus Brayshaw
HF: Charlie Spargo, Sam Weideman, Aaron vandenBerg
F: Michael Hibberd, Tom McDonald, Dom Tyson
Foll: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Christian Petracca
I/C: Bayley Fritsch, Mitch Hannan, Dean Kent, Jake Melksham
Emg: Jeff Garlett, Jay Kennedy Harris, Cameron Pedersen, Josh Wagner

In: Mitch Hannan, Michael Hibberd, Dean Kent, Jake Melksham, Sam Weideman

Out: Jeff Garlett (omitted), Jesse Hogan (foot), Jayden Hunt (ankle), Jay Kennedy Harris (omitted), Cameron Pedersen (omitted) 

The full match preview will be loaded when available

Glad 2c Kennedy-Harris  & Garlett dropped both not best 22. JKH not up 2 it & Garlett lazy. Pedo no longer up 2 it. Delist or trade all 3.

4 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

This is achievable for the MFC - having bled against the Swans so badly down the southern flanks. Again, this is ground that we must use and exploit - not doing all our work down the northern flanks only to see turnovers after turnovers against our progress. JKH actually began, singularly, to flee quickly to the southern flanks in the fwd line and was successful, several times, intercepting against the Swannies and taking some possessions himself to a somewhat better effect than what was being achieved on the northern flanks. But we are not at the 'G this week; hence, we must become a 2-sided team in all regards. From the flanks, we should not send 90% of our possessions, runs and carries, kicks and handball back to the midline whilst making improved space(s) at both flanks. 

Apologies Deemania, the MCG size is 160 × 140 m (not 160 × 129 m). Smaller flanks to play in on optus, perth.

44 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

spin it as you like... five changes = instability in anyone's books

Bulldogs made at least 5 changes in first final against west coast in 2016 it didn't do them any harm, it all depends on the changes and as far as I am concerned these changes are for the better, but hey you be as pessimistic as you want it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

I reckon the club would know a bit more than you, but eh ring up Goody and tell him you don't agree.

When we lose and get heavily scrutinised on Monday at least we’ll be safe in the knowledge that the club knew a bit more than us hey? 

3 hours ago, buck_nekkid said:

Good changes.  Play Charlie closer to goal. Looks like we have a chance with this squad.

Yeah well have to be because

1 Has no pace 

2 And cant kick more the 30 M 

Still would have preferred Jeffy!

Watch this one backfire Spectacularly!

• Like 2

Just now, drysdale demon said:

Well if yo think now that you know more than the club then you are delusional.

Sheeeit 54 years in the wilderness but don't worry...…..

The club still knows more than us!!

1 minute ago, picket fence said:

Yeah well have to be because

1 Has no pace 

2 And cant kick more the 30 M 

Still would have preferred Jeffy!

Watch this one backfire Spectacularly!

You are one of the more pessimistic posters on this site and you obviously haven't taken much notice of jeffy's form this year.

3 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Well if yo think now that you know more than the club then you are delusional.

Some things are quite obvious to the naked eye mate. Like when a first year player is totally gassed. 

But hey we’ve never made a bad selection this year ?

1 minute ago, layzie said:

Quite the inexperienced forward line really. Guys who are either raw KPP, have missed a lot of footy or very young. Not saying it’s bad but hope they know what they’re doing.

Yeah well I'll tell u what it is panic stations at MFC 

2 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

I reckon the club would know a bit more than you, but eh ring up Goody and tell him you don't agree.

Not disagreeing,  just adding ...

Spargo had to play once the decision was made on Garlett & JKH. 

He is 'it' now and again,  why not put some pressure on the lad.  Spargo will know it too - there's nothing like absolute transparency.  I'm a Goodwin fan and I can see where he's taking us.

He's old school and when the heat gets applied,  that is how he coaches.  The plan is "here it is, you carry it out.  I can't do it for you."  It's simple,  it's basic,  but it can work.

The game will be won out of the middle (clearances,  stoppages) and that is our strength.  We win and we put the whole thing to bed.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macca said:

He is 'it' now and again,  why not put some pressure on the lad.  Spargo will know it too - there's nothing like absolute transparency.  I'm a Goodwin fan and I can see where he's taking us.

He's old school and when the heat gets applied,  that is how he coaches.  The plan is "here it is, you carry it out.  I can't do it for you."  It's simple,  it's basic,  but it can work.

The game will be won out of the middle (clearances,  stoppages) and that is our strength.  We win and we put the whole thing to bed.  

All games of football are won by the midfield.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Macca said:

Nup how can you play a League footballer .. THAT CANT KICK MORE THAN 35 M??

Ludicrous, Plus has NO PACE ….. on a big ground 

Ah Jeffy outa form no doubt , but in a crunch game still better than Spargo!