Jump to content

  • Demonland Interviews

Demonland

Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 21

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Tom Dyson said:

 

still struggling to see why Bernie got omitted... 

Watch the replay of last week's game and you will know why.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Monocology said:

Dropping Vince clearly cost us Saints game. 

 

No, playing Petty instead of Frost did.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 15
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chook said:

Pedersen's very quick for his size, and Jayden Hunt's one of the quickest in the AFL.

Pederson is not quick, Jayden Hunt is quick i agree, but in terms of contest to contest Smith is quicker and id almost suggest throughout the year Vince has been quicker defensively than Hunt. 

Seeing your one of the most mobile calls makes me think you’re taking the P one 55

I understand the want for Pederson in the side of form, but there is no way he is a logical player unless Gawn is out. 

 

Edit: look across the board at the sydney side and say one match up defensively that Pederson is favourable in, I can’t see it. 

Edited by Mad_Melbourne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cards13 said:

Peds as a defensive fwd on him or Aliir?

Are you seriously suggesting that Pedo plays on McVeigh? McVeigh would be running off him all game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

Pederson is not quick, Jayden Hunt is quick i agree, but in terms of contest to contest Smith is quicker and id almost suggest throughout the year Vince has been quicker defensively than Hunt. 

Seeing your one of the most mobile calls makes me think you’re taking the P one 55

I understand the want for Pederson in the side of form, but there is no way he is a logical player unless Gawn is out. 

Well Pedo's the team regardless, so I guess we'll see who's right by Sunday afternoon.
Smith has a broken collarbone, so I'd back Pedersen to beat him for pace at this stage. With Gawn possibly not as mobile this week, we need a mobile tall who can ruck if needed. Who's better for that than Pedo?

Edited by Chook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Redleg said:

No, playing Petty instead of Frost did.

Agree 110%, I believe the whole club went in far to cocky for that game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chook said:

Well Pedo's the team regardless, so I guess we'll see who's right by Sunday afternoon.
Smith has a broken collarbone, so I'd back Pedersen to beat him for pace at this stage. With Gawn possibly not as mobile this week, we need a mobile tall who can ruck if needed. Who's better for that than Pedo?

I’d like to be proved wrong and see Pederson blistering pace and sure hands influence multiple contests in the air, I just don’t think he’s got it in him. 

If Gawn is not up to play, I would not play him. Then I can see why we’d bring Pederson in to compete in the ruck. If Pederson is playing as a key position defender, as he has been in the vfl, I think it’s not a good fit for him. 

 

McCarten and Franklin both far too mobile for him, take him on a lead up the ground, change directions and they’ll have lost him as he’s got an arc bigger than an 18 wheeler. 

I just can’t see the logic in selection unless Gawn is out of the side? How can you see the logic of him playing anywhere else but ruck? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

I’d like to be proved wrong and see Pederson blistering pace and sure hands influence multiple contests in the air, I just don’t think he’s got it in him. 

If Gawn is not up to play, I would not play him. Then I can see why we’d bring Pederson in to compete in the ruck. If Pederson is playing as a key position defender, as he has been in the vfl, I think it’s not a good fit for him. 

 

McCarten and Franklin both far too mobile for him, take him on a lead up the ground, change directions and they’ll have lost him as he’s got an arc bigger than an 18 wheeler. 

I just can’t see the logic in selection unless Gawn is out of the side? How can you see the logic of him playing anywhere else but ruck? 

He's played defence in the VFL for months. Obviously you know better than the coaches on that point.
I like him because he's a very flexible player, which gives us plenty of options through the ruck, backline, and up forward. Gawn and McDonald, complemented by Pedersen, makes for a very flexible ruck/back/forward array of options.

But I may be wrong about why he's in. Pedersen may just be the best like-for-like replacement for the injured Smith.
We'll see on Sunday.

Not much more to say about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chook said:

He's played defence in the VFL for months. Obviously you know better than the coaches on that point.
I like him because he's a very flexible player, which gives us plenty of options through the ruck, backline, and up forward. Gawn and McDonald, complemented by Pedersen, makes for a very flexible ruck/back/forward array of options.

 

I am not disagreeing with that, he’s played well at VFL level and on form deserves to be picked. But team balance is a consideration. The whole “know better than the coaches” is counter intuitive to any discussion and you have provided little in the way of helping me understand he reason he is selected. Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

I am not disagreeing with that, he’s played well at VFL level and on form deserves to be picked. But team balance is a consideration. The whole “know better than the coaches” is counter intuitive to any discussion and you have provided little in the way of helping me understand he reason he is selected. Cheers

Reason 1: He's a good like-for-like with Smith, which minimises disruption to existing (winning) team structure
Reason 2: Gawn might be a bit sore, which means he's in-game insurance
Reason 3: We might want to throw him forward to stretch the Swans in offense
Reason 4: Who knows? Neither of us…but probably Goodwin does

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They really rate Hunt.

That's what I read out of this weeks selection...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, rpfc said:

They really rate Hunt.

That's what I read out of this weeks selection...

They rate what he has. That much is clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

I’d like to be proved wrong and see Pederson blistering pace and sure hands influence multiple contests in the air, I just don’t think he’s got it in him. 

If Gawn is not up to play, I would not play him. Then I can see why we’d bring Pederson in to compete in the ruck. If Pederson is playing as a key position defender, as he has been in the vfl, I think it’s not a good fit for him. 

 

McCarten and Franklin both far too mobile for him, take him on a lead up the ground, change directions and they’ll have lost him as he’s got an arc bigger than an 18 wheeler. 

I just can’t see the logic in selection unless Gawn is out of the side? How can you see the logic of him playing anywhere else but ruck? 

As the call on wether Max plays or not due to soreness from a knock to the calf probably won't be made until Sunday morning I doubt very much that Pedersen's inclusion is due to Max not playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent changes.

 If you thought Bernie was safe after last game take a good hard look at yourself. He was horrible. 

Flexibility in height and speed. 

Go Dees.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Are you seriously suggesting that Pedo plays on McVeigh? McVeigh would be running off him all game.

Wild thought. McVeigh ain’t no gun runner nowadays, his strength is his ability to zone off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

Pederson is not quick, Jayden Hunt is quick i agree, but in terms of contest to contest Smith is quicker and id almost suggest throughout the year Vince has been quicker defensively than Hunt. 

Seeing your one of the most mobile calls makes me think you’re taking the P one 55

I understand the want for Pederson in the side of form, but there is no way he is a logical player unless Gawn is out. 

 

Edit: look across the board at the sydney side and say one match up defensively that Pederson is favourable in, I can’t see it. 

Wow that's some narrative...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

This is a given

I dunno, I reckon AVB could force his way into best 22

Id say Viney, Hibberd, Melksham back for JKH, Pedo, and Spargo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

T-Mac also plays wing so they can rotate Fritsch down back leaving Pedo and Hoges as the 2 Key forwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

I dunno, I reckon AVB could force his way into best 22

Id say Viney, Hibberd, Melksham back for JKH, Pedo, and Spargo

Spargo is a better user of the ball.

AVB was okay for first week back, created a goal with his strength in the pocket, but missed two. Always had impression he wasn’t greatly skilled, but am sure there are other Demonland contributors who can give a better view.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buongiorno, with mention of Caligula your top end correspondents cannot resist. At present holidaying in Italia and on the march south to Roma. Wi-Fi here is decidedly sketchy so when there is on opportunity we will take it. From reports the attrition rate continues as the season goes, with a few more casualties on the wayside. Shame about Smithy mi dispiace, after showing some definite promise. From the brief viewing of the match highlights the tackle causing his injury appeared overly et tu Brutus and worthy of the Colosseum and Bernie's on the backburner with Casey again... Mi  scusi  must remain relevant and on topic.  Charlie Spargo excites your roving correspondents as a worthy addition to the Demons legion who 'jack in the box'  (apologies to our co-captain)  like appears front and square for that opportunist goal. Doesn't shirk the physical stuff either in the heat of gladiatorial combat. From where we're sitting, like Caligula  thumbs up the mighty Demons, thumbs down to Equinus and his cohort this Sunday. Arrivederci.

postscript If we run into Jake we will say ciao!!!

Edited by Tarax Club
spelling remission
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

Pederson is not quick, Jayden Hunt is quick i agree, but in terms of contest to contest Smith is quicker and id almost suggest throughout the year Vince has been quicker defensively than Hunt. 

Seeing your one of the most mobile calls makes me think you’re taking the P one 55

I understand the want for Pederson in the side of form, but there is no way he is a logical player unless Gawn is out. 

 

Edit: look across the board at the sydney side and say one match up defensively that Pederson is favourable in, I can’t see it. 

Tmac may play extra man in defence floating fwd?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, picket fence said:

He is not fast ! This observation was also made by a mate who played at the highest level!

 

I’ll have to keep an eye on him tomorrow.  I guess sometimes you just assume the small blokes are quick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Tarax Club said:

Buongiorno, with mention of Caligula your top end correspondents cannot resist. At present holidaying in Italia and on the march south to Roma. Wi-Fi here is decidedly sketchy so when there is on opportunity we will take it. From reports the attrition rate continues as the season goes, with a few more casualties on the wayside. Shame about Smithy mi dispiace, after showing some definite promise. From the brief viewing of the match highlights the tackle causing his injury appeared overly et tu Brutus and worthy of the Colosseum and Bernie's on the backburner with Casey again... Mi  scusi  must remain relevant and on topic.  Charlie Spargo excites your roving correspondents as a worthy addition to the Demons legion who 'jack in the box'  (apologies to our co-captain)  like appears front and square for that opportunist goal. Doesn't shirk the physical stuff either in the heat of gladiatorial combat. From where we're sitting, like Caligula  thumbs up the mighty Demons, thumbs down to Equinus and his cohort this Sunday. Arrivederci.

postscript If we run into Jake we will say ciao!!!

and fettuccine to you Alfredo.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE BRIGHT SIDE by Whispering Jack

    I don’t often agree with Dermott Brereton but he came close to the mark last week when he labelled Melbourne a “team of downhill skiers” that works much harder offensively than it does defensively.  And he was looking at the bright side of the team’s game plan. That proposition has been clear since before the season started. It was obvious from the first JLT game against Richmond when the team leaked multiple goals in a short space of time as players gave metres away to opposition forwards.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CASEY VS THE AUSSIES by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons played an exhibition match against an Australian Under 19 team at the MCG on Easter Saturday but the game was played with more than half an eye on the fact that whilst their senior counterpart was taking part in their AFL Round 5 game against St Kilda later that afternoon, they also had an assignment just four days later against Richmond.  The team, with 10 AFL Demons, opened strongly and dominated the first half to lead by four goals at the main break before taking most of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    EASTER BUNNIES by George on the Outer

    Easter is supposed to be an occasion of hope, revival and ultimately celebration.  But for the Demon supporters it was none of these as yet again their team was made Easter Bunnies by the Saints. With the exception of Christian Salem, there was not a single winner on the ground.  The danger for the Demons was giving the Saints their own hope and enthusiasm by conceding early goals.  That is exactly what happened in the first quarter, although with some ridiculous frees from the umpires clos

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MARCHING IN by The Oracle

    The most embarrassing loss of the 2018 season (perhaps aside from the Preliminary Final) for Melbourne was the one it suffered in Round 15 against lowly St Kilda. The Demons came into the game as a red hot favourite but were embarrassed by the Saints' speed and willingness to take the contest right up to them for virtually the full four quarters. It was a defeat that they were to bemoan for the remainder of the season. Their arrogance in going into the game and taking an opponent lightly was a c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    RELENTLESS by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons returned to the winning list with an emphatic 54 point victory over a limp North Melbourne VFL combination at Casey Fields on Saturday. Smarting from last week’s thrashing at Box Hill, the Demons came out of the blocks intent on redeeming themselves for their embarrassing start to the 2019 campaign.  After a brief early bout of inaccuracy, the goals flowed as a result of relentless pressure applied to the visitors who were constantly forced into error. The pleasing thi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TO A “T” by George on the Outer

    Thursday night football - not something Melbourne FC are accustomed to doing, especially after barely garnering a Friday night game for years. Yet with this opportunity, the Demons soundly beat the Swans at the SCG and put their season back on Track. This was not only a game of mental toughness, since the Demons had so far failed to win a game in 2019 and faced possibly a season ending prospect of 0-4, should they have failed in Sydney.  History was against them, and Buddy Frankli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SWANSONG by Whispering Jack

    They said that in 2019, the Melbourne Football Club was going to take its game to another level but we were never prepared for the level the club is reaching as it approaches the fourth round of the season holding up the entire AFL ladder in a match that could be its swansong for the year.    We were meant to be premiership contenders, not playing off for a wooden spoon which is what will be the case unless there is a sudden and dramatic turn around in our fortunes!    And whilst there

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A DAY TO FORGET by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons started the 2019 in unimpressive fashion with a 62 point loss to the  Box Hill Hawks at Box Hill City Oval. It was a total contrast to their 2018 opening when they monstered the Coburg Lions but the circumstances were entirely different. Twelve months ago, the Demons were able to go into the match with a large contingent of AFL listed players while yesterday, they went into the game with 12 Melbourne players, mostly inexperienced.  They were also hampered by the AFL sc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    2019 IS NOT 2018 by George on the Outer

    Seems like an obvious statement doesn’t it?   Yet the MFC coaching staff/team seem to have forgotten to change their calendars on January 1st. A 3 goal loss against the equal bottom side in the competition and now with a 0-3 record for the current season, it should be obvious that things have changed from 2018.  Not so on the field, as Melbourne continue to play the style which got them to a Preliminary final.   Once again the Demons saw 20 goals scored against them for the game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE NIGHT OF THE TORTOISES by The Oracle

    Friday night sees two clubs of which a great deal was expected in 2019, facing off in the battle of the slow starting tortoises. Both have had calamitous starts to the season and are sitting at 0-2. One of them will, by the end of the evening, be seeing their season slipping away from their grasp.   Both clubs are playing without confidence and without purpose. The Demons, who had the best-performed attack of all clubs last year, managed to convert 73 entries inside their forward 50 metre a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE CAT RUN by George on the Outer

    It truly became a “Cat Run” with an 80 point win to the home side, an outcome that had us wondering what happened to the Demons of 2018 when they got to a Preliminary final on the basis of their “brand” of contested football?   Well that part hasn’t changed any, since the likes of Clayton Oliver can win the ball 44 times in a game including 15 clearances, Angus Brayshaw racks up 33 touches with Jack Viney chipping in for 27 of this own.  In the ruck Max Gawn had 53 hitouts on the night, and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    REDEMPTION? by the Oracle

    How much should we be making out of Melbourne’s opening round loss on its home ground against an unfancied team from interstate in Port Adelaide?  The game was barely over before the excuses were coming out that about the lack of preparation of the team, the fact that some players were playing injured or unfit and unable to handle the humidity and the heat, the team’s lack of run and spread, the lack of experience and having too many key players injured or (in the case of Steven May) suspen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...