Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 19

Demonland

Well what a cracker of a result for us....and what a weekend of footy.

The Dees have to bring this intensity and desire every week. If we don't... others will.

What a run home ?

• Like 1

Glad we held on in the end. I couldn't watch the first and last qtr after last weeks catastrophe. Just fast forwarded through to see when the score changed before rewinding to see how it came about. A most unsatisfying way to watch. At this point im not even watching footy, but spending more time reading and discussing it. I'll be back to watching it next week I think. Embrace the pant [censored] & nerves again v Syd/WCE/GWS and hopefully a final.

Edited by johndemonic
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Vogon Poetry said:

There have been a number of comments here about the behaviour and character of the Adelaide supporters.  I've been lucky enough to be able to go to every game we've played at the Adelaide Oval (including those against PA) and not once have I ever encountered poor behaviour or aggression from an opposition supporter.  They support their team with passion as we do but at the end of the game yesterday when we were cheering and celebrating hard we had a number of Adelaide supporters come up to us and congratulate us and wish us well for the rest of the season.  Kudos to them and that they stayed on the ground to honour Lewis's achievement was terrific.  They had to stand in terrible conditions for quite a while after they had just been beaten in a match that probably ended their chances of finals.

I know it's popular to bag them but frankly I don't know any better supporters in the game.  Those that have had trouble are either very unlucky or most probably have brought it upon themselves.

As for the game it was a terrific win for many reasons.  Last week was shattering, this week be buttered up.  We were challenged and prevailed in a very hostile environment. Some of our players might have had poor games but all of them had their moments.  The weather was fierce in the last quarter.  The wind was blowing strongly to Adelaide's end and it was raining very heavily for a lot of the last quarter.  Having said that it's not possible for me to comment on the wind at ground level as I was sitting in the top of the stand on the eastern side.

Just a recommendation to anyone who hasn't been to a game in Adelaide, get there if you can, it's the best ground in Australia and fortunately we seem to play it well.

That’s fair enough, I’ve personally never had an issue with them. Port fans on the other hand..

1 hour ago, Vogon Poetry said:

There have been a number of comments here about the behaviour and character of the Adelaide supporters.  I've been lucky enough to be able to go to every game we've played at the Adelaide Oval (including those against PA) and not once have I ever encountered poor behaviour or aggression from an opposition supporter.  They support their team with passion as we do but at the end of the game yesterday when we were cheering and celebrating hard we had a number of Adelaide supporters come up to us and congratulate us and wish us well for the rest of the season.  Kudos to them and that they stayed on the ground to honour Lewis's achievement was terrific.  They had to stand in terrible conditions for quite a while after they had just been beaten in a match that probably ended their chances of finals.

I know it's popular to bag them but frankly I don't know any better supporters in the game.  Those that have had trouble are either very unlucky or most probably have brought it upon themselves.

I grew up in Adelaide surrounded by Crows fans and attended hundreds of games at Footy Park. Never any grief in all that time. And it was known as the Chardonnay Club back then. They may be one-eyed but they don't act with that aggressive pack mentality. 45,000 Crows fans used to get intimidated by 40 or so Richmond or Collingwood supporters. And they were the type of Tigers and Pies fans who could actually afford flights and would be let on the plane.

• Haha 2

Late post, too busy having victory nookie on a lilo in Lago di Nemi, the sweetest of days. But what a grinding win over serious opposition at a cauldron of a ground. BTW has anyone else noticed how many 3rd quarters we have won this year (am going to have to look it up, but I have a feeling we have been owning the premiership quarter this season.

I would also like to take a moment to call out the ANB haters (who have called him weak etc), I have seen a few critics owning up and recanting which is nice, but some of the more vitriolic are yet to atone, grow a set 

Frost, yes some clangers but also his best game for the demons, nearly put him in votes, his run is a weapon and he bullied poor tex, diddums needs a cuddle I think) a huge step forward and boy are we crying out for hard running heavy weight defenders ... actually the more I write the more I think I have to go back to votes, I was scared of tex having a day out today, Frost was the reason he didn't get going properly.

Brayshaw plays a great brand of contested footylove to see a lad sign a contract and then play his heart out, his run is Bruce like, his hardness is much much better.

Lewis, loved those goals, that kicking from 50 is a weapon I wish more players had.

Salem, I though he would be out with broken ribs after that hit by the knee, huge huge cahonnas to get up and keep going, I hope he still has a kidney, mark my words, unrealistic marking attempt knees into backs is the next thing the AFL is going to police (was very sam mitchell like).

Jetta did some sweet things today, some big tackles and you can see he is under eddies' skin, Betts was a shadow of himself, like he kept hearing footsteps. Oscar, still not listening to social media and just gets on with it, really loving his effort, gives everything.

Our forwards generally looked dangerous but didnt fire properly, the thing that I like for finals though, is our scoring strength means teams have to play against us, our method cannot be ignored. As long as Goodwin can react in game in case something changes I still think we start most matches with the initiative, Goodwin has showed this season he has no sacred cows and has always been prepared to modify and adapt, not always as quick as we like but he does do it. 

Rest Hogan for next week, we don't need him for GWS, he is too sore, it is affecting the timing of his hands but also he is getting angry at himself, a rest would be good.  Jones was off with his radar today, but was where the ball is, radar will work again soon I'm sure, was happy with his run.

Harmes has really shifted my perception of him, I thought he was a front runner only but this season has demonstrated he is serious about doing all the work required of him, moving further away from fringe player all the time.

I also think today was TRHE BEST EVER VERSION OF THE CLUB SONG I HAVE SEEN SUNG, the love and the whole group being in the circle really thrilled me, it wasn't 'a made for tv' moment, it was a genuine club moment and i think I will watch it as much as I watch Viney tackle highlights. We are making finals, and I'm not scared of anyone anymore, (I am however traumatised by last quarters)

• Like 10

I said before the game I would take the ugliest win ever, well it wasn’t pretty but we got there. The footy we played in the 3rd quarter (just like last week) was as good a footy as we’ve played all year. Max and the mids absolutely destroyed an Adelaide midfield that are hardly easy beats. 

Melksham has become one of our most important players (who would’ve said that when we first got him?) he is our best distributor going inside 50 and he’s rarely completely beat one on one. 

Finally though I feel like we got away with one though, Adelaide should have been further in front at half time and they missed some very getable chances in the final quarter. If Betts kicks that goal with about 40 seconds left we would’ve been in a lot of trouble. 

Ultimately we got the win we needed, we face the Gold Coast next week and I can only hope they treat them as if we’re playing the reigning premiers. Big last few rounds left!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Watched the first three quarters tonight...mmm toast and soup...

Did anyone else observe how much space JKH ran into, yet no one passed him the ball?

Is it a Casey thing?

I noticed that too about JKH. I  hope his work gets more respect in the future. it was striking to me as this game for three quarters was almost identical to last years game against them. They come out of the blocks and we struggle to keep up. We get sniff late in the second quarter then blow them away in the third. We did not have a rainy last quarter though and continued on way then. I don’t think our game holds up too good in the wet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, america de cali said:

I noticed that too about JKH. I  hope his work gets more respect in the future. it was striking to me as this game for three quarters was almost identical to last years game against them. They come out of the blocks and we struggle to keep up. We get sniff late in the second quarter then blow them away in the third. We did not have a rainy last quarter though and continued on way then. I don’t think our game holds up too good in the wet. 

JKH definitely played a lot more confidently last night, kicking that goal was big for him and when you saw the boys get around him they knew how important it was for not only him but the team. He should’ve had a goal assist but Jones shanked a shot he should be nailing 99% of the time (and he is usually a very good set shot). 

His workrate is good and it’s why he’s kept his spot. I don’t see him being dropped next week. 

• Like 1

This is what I didn’t like about this game, it’s that again it showed up how inconsistent and unreliable we are. 

You watch the first quarter in isolation and we are seriously wooden spooners. Sloppy, messy, can’t hit a target, can’t tackle, can’t win a contested possession. 

You watch the third quarter in isolation and we are seriously the best side in the completion. We are scary good. 14-2 clearances. Complete dominance. 

We have not gotten the balance right. We are either stinking it up or running riot. We’ve become synonymous for excellent third quarters, as much as we have become synonymous for flat last quarters. 

I know we are young, inexperienced, bla bla bla, but to have lost to [censored] teams like St Kilda and then nearly beat Geelong at home and beat Adelaide on the road is so costly. 

I really believe that when we are on we can beat anyone. Richmond included. But we are never on long enough, and we struggle to sustain our brilliance when teams pressure us in the contest for long enough, to even be a contender. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, layzie said:

That’s fair enough, I’ve personally never had an issue with them. Port fans on the other hand..

Agreed. Adelaide fans I’ve met and matches I’ve been to in Adelaide have always been pleasant.

Port are the scum of SA. They are horrible awful people. I went to a match in Adelaide against Port when I was 16. The amount of sexually crude comments hurled at me, a friggin 16 year old, was revolting. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

I've now had the chance to watch the full replay and what struck me first and foremost was that the fourth quarter didn't appear nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be based on this thread. We weren't dominated like I thought we would have been, we had opportunities to ice the game (Melksham's miss) but didn't take them, and they largely took theirs. However in trying to defend a lead we drop numbers back and as that's not how we normally play, we lose our ball movement as a result. Last week we tried to keep doing what we'd done and it backfired, this week we tried to do the "done" thing and it nearly backfired. There's a balance somewhere in between that's lacking.

As to the first quarter, they were really on for the first 10 minutes and jumped us. But to our credit, from then on, we settled, and settled well. The game was played entirely on our terms from late in the first until three quarter time, and with the game on our term we became increasingly dominant. Our clearance work in the third quarter was stunning, better than the Dogs game two weeks ago, and against an A-grade midfield and ruckman. 

Oliver and Gawn played brilliantly yet again. Hogan's body was failing him but he buttered up time and time again to bring it to ground or at least make a contest of it. I thought Salem was fantastic all game, I saw improvement in Garlett's positioning and work rate too. We're a much better side when Melksham is in form. Frost makes some awful decisions but his defending is getting better, I think.

Back-to-back road trips to two very hostile places and to come out of the second one with a win is, I think, something to be really proud of.

• Like 13

38 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Agreed. Adelaide fans I’ve met and matches I’ve been to in Adelaide have always been pleasant.

Port are the scum of SA. They are horrible awful people. I went to a match in Adelaide against Port when I was 16. The amount of sexually crude comments hurled at me, a friggin 16 year old, was revolting. 

Oh yeah for sure. It’s as if many of them have crawled out of the garbage to attend a football match. And they complain about everything as well, I’ve seen some of them boo after a win. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jaded said:

Eastern European credit-card hackers just pegged your age as under 38 Jaded. Most likely from Melbourne, middle to upper class suburbs. Possible name Jade. Probable pin-code: 1964.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, Jaded said:

“Friggin” is sexually crude. Look it up.

10 hours ago, Jaded said:

You obviously were not around when Carlton had their squad of scantily clad cheer leaders known as the Bluebirds in the late 70’s to 1980’s. Other clubs had them too. The comments from opposition supporters when they performed and sadly including ours plumbed the deepest depths of sexual crudeness. Cheer leaders were a horrible experiment and brought the worst out of AFL supporters.

Read this article.

https://blogs.slv.vic.gov.au/such-was-life/carltons-bluebirds/

637ED98B-7992-4C23-A4AA-672DF04B5632.jpeg

Edited by america de cali

What I enjoyed about this game was a number of things.

Seeing Lewis kick 2 goals 

Yes even I thought JKH was good. His goal was great and it was nice to see the boys all go up to him, also that pass he did to Oscar when he could have just blazed away. 

Oliver is just fantastic and Gawn just rucked so hard all night. 

Harmes did a great job on Sloane

Our backline was outstanding. To keep there tall forwards to only 1 goal between them was a great effort and I enjoy seeing Frost run out of the backline. 

That last quarter was hard to watch because I just expected the worst but we obviously learnt from last week and the way we defended was fantastic. 

I do have one negative. I was away but still saw the game but with no volume but had recorded it so came home to watch it, especially the 2nd half but for some reason it cut out after an hour. Not happy. 

On 7/28/2018 at 10:34 PM, Jaded said:

2 things: 

1. Clayton Oliver is unbelievable. He is the best player I have seen in a Melbourne jumper. Ever. 

2. If Frost can stop touching things: eg- the ball, the opposition etc, I really think he could be a player 

Clarrie is terrific but better than Barrassi or Tulip yet? All I know is I cant wait to see if he is. 

Frost can be a player, he is really good at getting the ball and breaking the line and can be taught the last bit (not kicking in hope, usually to the opposition).

• Like 1

Just now, Robbie57 said:

Clarrie is terrific but better than Barrassi or Tulip yet? All I know is I cant wait to see if he is. 

Frost can be a player, he is really good at getting the ball and breaking the line and can be taught the last bit (not kicking in hope, usually to the opposition).

Well I never saw Barassi in a Melbourne jumper...Vic/ Carlton yes...and he was good.

Tulip had no peer.

Oliver easily the best Demon this Century. To think he's still getting better ? He makes the impossible seem everyday !!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbie57 said:

I think our half forward have to be ready when Frost makes  his breaks and give him some better options

He looked better handpasssing to a running midfield player in support on Saturday

He is a weapon and we must work out  how to draw maximum benefit from his breakaways

Goodwin not playing him for all those weeks was criminal in my opinion but Im sure others have a view on this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robbie57 said:

As I said he is the best player I have ever seen. Was not lucky enough to see either Barrassi or Flower. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, loges said:

Probably better to ask anyone who was at the game to post how strong the wind was.

I was at the game, sitting high in the stand, but didn't notice the breeze, even in the last quarter when it rained.  You could see the direction of the rain coming down pretty clearly and there was probably just a slight breeze favouring Adelaide.   

Great win though.  Adelaide were 100% on and we seemed off and they beat us on most of the stats that count, so to get the win was huge.

2 hours ago, jackaub said:

I think our half forward have to be ready when Frost makes  his breaks and give him some better options

He looked better handpasssing to a running midfield player in support on Saturday

He is a weapon and we must work out  how to draw maximum benefit from his breakaways

Goodwin not playing him for all those weeks was criminal in my opinion but Im sure others have a view on this

Wasn’t criminal, it just cost us 2 games. 

• Thanks 1

Holy carp I just noticed that some Muppet journalist from Adelaide and writing for the Advertiser / Herald Sun gave the votes as follows:

3 Petracca

2. Harmes

1 Greenwood

WTF?? 

2 votes to Harmes because he beat the favoured son. Greenwood? Maybe but no way was he better than Clarrie or Gawn. Pathetic. 

Reece Homfray. Bwah ha. What kind of a name is that anyway??

Adelaide. Wow.

AQQd_eV2_400x400.jpg

Edited by jnrmac
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1