Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes vs Geelong

Tyson is a straight swap for Viney, and clearly should have played on Sunday. JKH was just atrocious for three quarters, albeit better in the last, and proved once again that he is not an AFL standard midfielder. Nine tackles means he was second to every contest, and he showed his lack of pace and size on a regular basis.

I hate seeing McDonald ruck. It destroys our forward structure and he had no impact in the middle. Pedersen coming in would give us a decent back up ruckand three tall up forward to replicate the structure that Adelaide beat Geelong with last week. He can also provide cover down back if Hawkins gets on top of McDonald. Hannan is a clear out as he goes missing far too often and we have too many similar types.

I want Vince out as well as his disposal is shocking and will cost us big time against quality opposition, but I can't see a worthy replacement at Casey. Maybe he can be redeployed to the forward line.

No change for mine. We need a stable lineup as much as possible for the run home. 

I questioned the Hannan in for Viney but it makes sense to me now as Trac was allowed more midfield time and became the Viney replacement.  

Hannan has the ability to make something from nothing, I’d like to see him given one more opportunity down at the Cattery where we will need some craft around goals.

Not as many changes required this week but still plenty of thought for match committee.

The Cats down there are a seriously difficult proposition and we will only get free kicks in our back half.

Further to that Joel will be manic and we don't have Viney to counter him. Then there is his niggling brother who will wear Angus like a glove - the first time he has had to counter such a tag.

On top of that they will most likely dump Buzza and maybe either bring back Smith to try and negate Gawny with some rough stuff or alternatively play Henderson as a forward. 

As to us, we have to decide four things.

1) Will the coach stick with Frosty? As most of you know I love Frosty attack on the ball and unless we plan to send Hoges or T-Mac back, he is our only tall defender apart from Oscar capable of playing on a big and playing our game-style. But he went against team rules in the second term with his kick-in and there was enough choice errors for Goody to throw the book at him (way more than his past indiscretions which were pretty minor in comparison). Hopefully Goody realises that Frosty is our best chance come finals and his speed is critical in a side trying to use Lewis and Vince down back. The options if Goody jettisons Frosty again are 1) Pedo - In form down back in VFL and we all know he does the right things, but he ain't no racehorse. 2) Joel Smith - if he is fit then he has to come in ... surely. But can he cope with Henderson or Stanley? 3) Fritsch - he was trialled down there for a reason, but as with Joel Smith, can he cope with a big boy? My guess: Goody will drop Frosty and go with Joel Smith, or if Joel is still too sore, then Pedo gets the gig. My wish: No change. 

2) Will the coach stick with JKH? It was an interesting choice v Dogs but JKH's VFL form was very worthy. But will he cope with the pressure of a night game at a rabid Catland. He may also have to pick up Megnola, Kelly or even Duncan at times, so it's a huge ask. This will either make him as a player or will be his last game for the club. My guess: Goody will stick with him. My wish: I'm sorry but I am not a fan of JKH on a wing or as a forward, although I can see some potential in him as a defender with clean hands and good kicking skills. Also this is not the week to bring in Baker, although I have warmed to him and with Billy now out and no sign of Jayden back for a bit, Ronald McDonald is our best chance of providing the run we need for finals. But we can wait another week on Baker and likewise VDB.

3) Will the coach stick with three pacey forwards - Hannan, Garlett and Spargo? Obviously this is a bit of a selection luxury that worked on Saturday because of who we were playing and might work on a dry day at Geelong - but we are playing at night in the middle of winter. My guess: Goody will stick with all three. My wish: Unlike Goody i can't see all three in same side come finals. Two yes. This is the week for another grunt forward such as Bugg or Kent - neither of whom dominated in VFL on weekend.

4) Is this the game for Dom Tyson? The answer is yes because it will be greasy and at night and will be a tackle-fest. His inclusion will take pressure off Angus and allow Oliver to play forward for even more. My guess:  Dom has barely played in the middle all season so why would Goody change now - even with Viney out. My view: This is the game for either Dom or Buggy. But as we know Dom isn't a natural at chasing down blokes, so he can't play the forward pressure role as well as others and if Goody won't play him in the middle, then it's a pointless swap.

My view: If I was picking the team it would be JKH out and Joel Smith in because he is more physical and quicker, but I am not. And given the likely niggling game, I'd even consider dropping one our small forwards for Bugg or Tyson (only if used in the middle).

My guess is that we will bring back Joel Smith and Frosty will be dropped and if Joel is still too sore, then Pedo will replace Frosty.

What will most likely happen is that we will be hard at it most of the night and lead for quite a bit of it but Joel Selwood will have a huge last term and with scores level Trac will be pinged for a high tackle on him late in the game. The ball will be moved down the ground where Henderson will nudge Joel Smith under the contest allowing TomaHawk to mark. He will turn quickly and spot Parfitt or Kelly or even Ablett 2m clear of Jordy and it will be game over.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

This is Tyson's chance with Viney out of the team.

He needs to show he can still win the ball in the middle.

I've got no doubt he can still win the ball but Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca and Harmes can win the ball and close down Danger/Ablett/Selwood at the same time. I don't think Tyson's first few steps are quick enough to prevent those guys running straight by him and that's why he hasn't been given a go in there all year.

4 minutes ago, ben russell said:

Vanders in for Hannan.

JKH just did enough to earn him another game.

2 games in 2 years won't be enough for Vanders. Will need at least 1, probably 2-3 more at Casey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given Viney's predicament, I can see the value (and perhaps necessity) in bringing back Tyson. But it all just feels so familiar. We drop Tyson because he's slow and keeps turning the ball over to opposition, then clamour for his return after a week in the 2s on the basis that maybe he's gotten faster and improved his disposals in the week off? The same goes for Bugg, but double. So we can't risk his return for such an important game.

I thought we were pretty decent on Saturday without Tyson/Bugg. Hannan didn't set the world on fire, but I see more potential in him developing than I do with Tyson, who is static, and costs us goals.

I'd prefer that we don't go with Tyson as I just don't think he fits our side going forward.  He's been overtaken by others (Brayshaw, Oliver, Harmes etc) and he isn't clean enough or quick enough to play anywhere else but in those positions that are already filled.

I'd rather see us play Petracca more through the middle and bring in someone like Kent to play forward with stints through the middle as I think it gives us something different.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I'd prefer that we don't go with Tyson as I just don't think he fits our side going forward.  He's been overtaken by others (Brayshaw, Oliver, Harmes etc) and he isn't clean enough or quick enough to play anywhere else but in those positions that are already filled.

I'd rather see us play Petracca more through the middle and bring in someone like Kent to play forward with stints through the middle as I think it gives us something different.

Totally agree with this. It means we do something different instead of doing more of the same. Trac is looking good, and I like him through the middle. Kent would be interesting with the opportunity, and again, he's different and not Tyson, and for that reason alone it's better to look forward than persist with the past (i.e. disappointment).

JKH will definately play. His pressure and closing down was terrific, even in the first half when a few of the players were asleep

Frost down back is still a worry, his positioning and body work are still not great imo.  Against a better team he will be found out so I'd bring in Smith if fit.

no other changes

16 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I don't rate Tyson and I've been saying he's too slow longer than most, but this is his (last) chance.

Wonderful analysis Deespicable. While I don't agree with everything (especially Pedersen down back) your thoughts are very well argued and worthy of full consideration.

I think your thoughts on picking for match ups are very timely. Can't see us smashing it at the cattery but if we play smart we can grind out a tough win.

Edited by Diamond_Jim

3 hours ago, poita said:

I want Vince out as well as his disposal is shocking and will cost us big time against quality opposition, but I can't see a worthy replacement at Casey. Maybe he can be redeployed to the forward line.

Put Vince on dangerfield - as a hard tag. Remember that adelaide game where he tagged danger and absolutely rode him hard all day and danger had 12 possessions. I'd do that. Middle of Oliver, Brayshaw and Vince when danger is there :). Brayshaw & Vince Duel sided, Oliver a freak = a very hard to match up midfield :)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DubDee said:

JKH will definately play. His pressure and closing down was terrific, even in the first half when a few of the players were asleep

Frost down back is still a worry, his positioning and body work are still not great imo.  Against a better team he will be found out so I'd bring in Smith if fit.

no other changes

Geelong really only have 1 tall forward: Hawkins. For match ups, I'm thinking Frost might get left out. Gawn dropped back successfully a number of times vs dogs. 

• Like 1

It’s absolute classic Demonland to spend weeks demanding Frost gets selected, then start frothing at the mouth over his turnovers. Surely by now we know what we’re getting when we pick him.

Our back line looks best with two talls, and presently Frost is the best we have. As I said in the post match, the cringey miskicks are the price we pay for the strength and speed he adds. He won’t be dropped for it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jumbo returns said:

Dom Tyson is so bereft of confidence at the moment

Love to find the thread 'Thank god for Dom Tyson' to see the views of his work from that period of time

Can he start to reinvent himself as a backman?

Yikes. The opposition forwards would be licking their lips waiting for the turnovers. I think he is an inside mid pure and simple.