Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

Elegt

The Need for Outside Midfielders

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Exactly. Tomlinson was not the player to bring in. He never was any likelihood of being a wingman type.  Endurance runner best suited to CHF /CHB role. 
 

Zak Jones was missed for a second time.  He wanted out of Sydney and despite the potential to play with his brother, the Saints got him. 

Even Jack Newnes was available at half the price of Tomlinson.  

I really don't understand why people keep saying "Tomlinson was never a winger". Yes he has played a number of positions throughout his career, but his last two years he played on the wing for over of the strongest teams in the comp (the grand finalist). Was he the best wing in the comp? No but he was posting the position capably in one of the better teams, was available and filled our biggest weakness. He'll get back in the team and will pay a few more games. 

We do need some more silk outside though still. Probably off the HBF and HFF, or the wing of course, but the wing is hard because you need silk, endurance and speed. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, deanox said:

I really don't understand why people keep saying "Tomlinson was never a winger". Yes he has played a number of positions throughout his career, but his last two years he played on the wing for over of the strongest teams in the comp (the grand finalist). Was he the best wing in the comp? No but he was posting the position capably in one of the better teams, was available and filled our biggest weakness. He'll get back in the team and will pay a few more games. 

We do need some more silk outside though still. Probably off the HBF and HFF, or the wing of course, but the wing is hard because you need silk, endurance and speed. 

Agree with this.

A funny thing about Demonland: posters complain all the time about selection being ridiculous but then use the fact that someone was dropped against them.

Yes, Tomlinson was dropped. Some would argue a bit prematurely. And when you consider that the FD has, ostensibly, played favourites this year in retaining Melksham though his form slump as well as Harmes and Brayshaw, bringing TMac, vandenBerg and Bennell back before they were ready, and not picking Weideman for weeks, maybe the FD got it wrong in dropping Tomlinson too? And he was never in as poor form as being dropped suggests?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2020 at 9:44 AM, Hogan2014 said:

Langdon & Tomlinson we’re brought in for outside run... Langdon has played well & Tomlinson can’t get a game...  Mahoney words 

"We’re very excited to add Adam to our list as a free agent – he fills a very important need for our team," Demons general manager of football operations Josh Mahoney told melbournefc.com.au.

"He's played a number of different roles for the Giants, but predominantly what we'e looking for is someone who can run up and down the MCG on the wing.

"Adam is an elite runner and at 194cm, he has the versatility to provide us with a number of options, either forward or back.

Ok, so Tomlinson was signed to run up and down the MCG on the wing.

I think the selection committee has taken this too literal, as we are now no longer playing at the G and he isn't being selected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Agree with this.

A funny thing about Demonland: posters complain all the time about selection being ridiculous but then use the fact that someone was dropped against them.

Yes, Tomlinson was dropped. Some would argue a bit prematurely. And when you consider that the FD has, ostensibly, played favourites this year in retaining Melksham though his form slump as well as Harmes and Brayshaw, bringing TMac, vandenBerg and Bennell back before they were ready, and not picking Weideman for weeks, maybe the FD got it wrong in dropping Tomlinson too? And he was never in as poor form as being dropped suggests?

I would add Brown to that . Sure he was a bit fumbly but he led to the ball. I would of given him a break re  nerves in his first game for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Radar Detector said:

I reckon we could do worse than getting Witherden to slot in at half back and moving Salem to the wing. 

Salem to me appears to be a par of the problem

Doesnt drive the play forward, zero pressure and dinky kicks that take for ever to land

DOES NOT HURT THE OPPOSITION

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The need for outside midfielders has been a need since 2016.

Yet our recruiting team have fail to act on it until last when they went and brought in two players. One is currently playing park footy. And to be honest Langdon hasn't really impressed me that much this year.

I still shake my head when we went for another inside midfielder in Kyle Dunkley last year's mid season draft (on top of already selecting Tom Sparrow) when someone like a John Noble from Collingwood who was available would have been the perfect fit with his speed and dash. 

How we are 12 months and still playing the likes of Jones and Brayshaw on a wing is absolutely beyond me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomlinson isn't fast but he could be an excellent wingman of the Tom Lynch (Crows) link-man type.  He would need to start kicking goals and be in a lot of scoring-chains as the link-man. 

Or be a wingman in the reinvented Mitch Robinson type.  Not fast but brutal and makes excellent positions, sets up scoring chains and kicks the odd goal.

Not sure what type of wingman Tomlinson was the the giants but right now I don't see he has speed nor the attributes of Lynch or Robinson. 

He may end up as one of the not-so-successful trade-ins of recent years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isaac Smith is someone we should be going for. I know he will be 32 next year but he is still one of the best runners at Hawthorn and has been the best outside player over the last decade IMO. He has the type of body that could play a very long career and has been durable.  He would fit our team perfectly and is a free agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Radar Detector said:

I reckon we could do worse than getting Witherden to slot in at half back and moving Salem to the wing. 

Witherden would be a good get but I would leave Salem at half back. I am not sure he has the running power for the wing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see players like Tomlinson/Dunkley/Sparrow/Harmes play as the inside mids along with Viney.

I haven't seen much of Jordan so i've only left him out as i don't know his strengths.

This could free up Petracca/Oliver/Brayshaw to become elite outside midfielders that can float in and out of contests depending on the game. Bennell also but 2021. Salem needs a new role.

In 2018 Oliver kicked 12 goals and Brayshaw kicked 14. 

The dependence on these players to get the inside pill doesn't allow them to free up and cause damage. Personally i don't want my elite mids tackling that much either. Hence why AVB is so important.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, DeePressed said:

I'd like to see players like Tomlinson/Dunkley/Sparrow/Harmes play as the inside mids along with Viney.

I haven't seen much of Jordan so i've only left him out as i don't know his strengths.

This could free up Petracca/Oliver/Brayshaw to become elite outside midfielders that can float in and out of contests depending on the game. Bennell also but 2021. Salem needs a new role.

I agree our midfield needs to be rebalanced, but not sure the above is best. 

Dunkley likely isn't up to AFL standard. Decent mid at VFL level, but more suited to a forward flank. We have his type in abundace.
Sparrow and Harmes could both play inside. Harmes has done this in the past. Sparrow is a natural inside mid, though very similar to Viney IMO. I wouldn't play them both in the guts together as they're too similar.
Tomlinson is more suited to running roles, not inside roles. I'd be playing him off halfback line as a mobile CHB type. I believe that's where he's best suited.
Jordan is potentially the best of the lot IMO. He has a more rounded skillset, showing he's capable inside in VFL second half of last year. He's got decent pace and good kicking skills, and started as half back flank. I'm actually surprised he hasn't debuted yet, as I rate him higher than some currently getting a game.

None of Petracca, Oliver or Brayshaw are good enough kicks to be elite outside mids.
Petraccas kicking is hit and miss. Sometimes it's low bullets, sometimes it's worst on ground efficiency.
Brayshaw similar and he's currently failing in a wing/outside mid role. He's either inside or bust, potentially back flank as he had success there in his first season.
Olivers kicking is horrendous, amongst the worst in the league. Playing him as an outside mid would be a poor coaching move if we're trying to win matches. He'd be better suited to a forward role, as his kicking for goals might not be as bad as his shoddy field kicking. He showed a bit when resting forward in 2018 as you mentioned.

We don't have the right balance of players on our list. IMO we need to trade/draft in more rounded mids and cast off some of our one paced inside mids.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

I agree our midfield needs to be rebalanced, but not sure the above is best. 

Dunkley likely isn't up to AFL standard. Decent mid at VFL level, but more suited to a forward flank. We have his type in abundace.
Sparrow and Harmes could both play inside. Harmes has done this in the past. Sparrow is a natural inside mid, though very similar to Viney IMO. I wouldn't play them both in the guts together as they're too similar.
Tomlinson is more suited to running roles, not inside roles. I'd be playing him off halfback line as a mobile CHB type. I believe that's where he's best suited.
Jordan is potentially the best of the lot IMO. He has a more rounded skillset, showing he's capable inside in VFL second half of last year. He's got decent pace and good kicking skills, and started as half back flank. I'm actually surprised he hasn't debuted yet, as I rate him higher than some currently getting a game.

None of Petracca, Oliver or Brayshaw are good enough kicks to be elite outside mids.
Petraccas kicking is hit and miss. Sometimes it's low bullets, sometimes it's worst on ground efficiency.
Brayshaw similar and he's currently failing in a wing/outside mid role. He's either inside or bust, potentially back flank as he had success there in his first season.
Olivers kicking is horrendous, amongst the worst in the league. Playing him as an outside mid would be a poor coaching move if we're trying to win matches. He'd be better suited to a forward role, as his kicking for goals might not be as bad as his shoddy field kicking. He showed a bit when resting forward in 2018 as you mentioned.

We don't have the right balance of players on our list. IMO we need to trade/draft in more rounded mids and cast off some of our one paced inside mids.

Agree, but as it stands we are never going to play finals.

Oliver/Petracca and Brayshaw can kick it, they've lost their ability to. Agree they've been really really poor. Technique IMO. Can be fixed.

Hope to see Jordan soon, perfect time this week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2020 at 10:12 PM, deanox said:

I really don't understand why people keep saying "Tomlinson was never a winger". Yes he has played a number of positions throughout his career, but his last two years he played on the wing for over of the strongest teams in the comp (the grand finalist). Was he the best wing in the comp? No but he was posting the position capably in one of the better teams, was available and filled our biggest weakness. He'll get back in the team and will pay a few more games. 

We do need some more silk outside though still. Probably off the HBF and HFF, or the wing of course, but the wing is hard because you need silk, endurance and speed. 


Bizarre. Leon Cameron described him as a classic utility. He often referred to him “playing a role”. Full back. CHB.  Wing. Ruck. CHF.   The Giants 2018 end of year summary describes him as a “key defender”.  He was never a full time wing player for the Giants. Never. Never for two years through 2018 and 2019.  I don’t think he’s our answer for skilled fast outside midfielder.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Tomlinson was immediately looking better at CHB.  That’s his position imo

That's where he played his best footy at GWS too IMO. Looks more comfortable across halfback.

Edited by Lord Travis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

That's where he played his best footy at GWS too IMO. Looks more comfortable across halfback.

You might be right... but I was under the impression that he played there as Oscar was being managed.  Despite his critics, Oscar has been solid this year and I suspect against the bottom side would have looked just as good as Tomlinson.

 

In the same way that Oliver burst away from packs, I loved seeing Tomlinson doing this in the backline last night - but then you realise he's crashing through 1st and 2nd year players of the bottom side.  If he does it against good sides I'll be converted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll stick with my opinion that we have the cattle now in the midfield to tear teams apart on the inside and the outside. Langdon's running power is really important to our midfield, but Gus, Oliver and Petracca can call play inside/outside as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    QUEENS BIRTHDAY BLOCKBUSTER by Bananabender

    A little known fact for Victorians is that Queenslanders don’t celebrate the Queen's Birthday in June but rather in October. The scheduled date on this year’s calendar is 5 October, 2020. However, I have a suggestion for Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and that is to move the date forward a month and a half to this Saturday so that the coming clash of traditional rivals, Melbourne and Collingwood, continues a longstanding tradition of our game — the Queen’s Birthday Blockbuster. Her Majesty w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING 2.0 by George on the Outer

    Once again the banks of Adelaide’s Torrens River witnessed the Melbourne Football Club handing out another on-field thumping to its opponent. This time the hapless victim was North Melbourne and given it was only the club’s second win against them since 2007, it was a very satisfying outcome. The Demons got off to a slow start once again, looking listless from their four day break, a situation that wasn’t helped by Sam Weideman and Christian Petracca missing easy set shots. At the first bre

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE 2020 EQUATION by Whispering Jack

    The 2020 equation is simple for the Melbourne Football Club – it must keep winning and it must take some big scalps during the second half of the season without dropping games against the lesser lights. The Demons have gone down this season to the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th teams on the ladder including twice by less than a goal in games that could easily have gone the other way. Against that, they have beaten 11th, 13th, 14th and 18th and though they thumped the Crows during the week, the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE TORRENS THUMPING by George on the Outer

    THE TORRENS THUMPING - LEAVING THE DEMONS BEHIND That headline might lead a reader to think that Melbourne had lost badly in Adelaide but no!  It was actually the MFC which left it’s demons from the previous week behind as it applied the blowtorch to the Crows in the final quarter of their match at the Adelaide Oval and went on their merry way to record a 51 point win before their biggest crowd of the year (even if they were mainly hostile). Much had been made in the media about t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STATE OF DEESASTER by the Oracle

    Melbourne’s circus caravan rolls into Adelaide on Wednesday night, an event that will put shivers up the spine of every Crows’ supporter as they look directly into the face of disaster. The flakey Demons left their home town a month ago and proceeded to rough up the Gold Coast Suns and Hawthorn in Sydney before moving on to the sunny Queensland where they missed by a bee’s diaphragm against the more or less local second-on-ladder Brisbane Lions. Then, they had to butter up against the top t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...