Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Is Jeffy Garlett just trade bait now?

Jeffy is your classic old-fashioned 'will-o-the-wisp' opportunist small forward.

As others have commented, he is simply never going to string together multiple 20+ possession games at Casey - if that is the KPI for his recall he will never play another senior game for us.

Jeffy has kicked 300+ goals at senior AFL level - yes, he wil be crap for 5 - 7 games per year and probably just OK for another 9 - 10.

BUT, for those other 6 - 8 games, he could well be the difference between winning and losing.

Is there any one of us who does not feel a quickening of the heart rate when Jeffy gets 'out the back' and there is nothing but space between him and the goalmouth ?

How exhilarating for the fans (and inspiring for his team mates) when he gathers the ball, looks over his shoulder, and just knows that the bloke chasing has Buckley's of being able to catch him ?

Question is, will Goodwin and the coaching staff accept the "Curate's egg" offering that Jeffy represents ?

• Like 2

Garlett and Frost seem to be this years “out of favour players”. Both in my best 22 at the start of 2018 although not sure things. 

Jeffy is IMO still very valuable and just needs a run. Players like Jeffy often are ambivalent at VFL level but step up in the AFL arena. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

It's up to him really.

Goody has always been about behaviors and the idea of behaviors getting you in and out of the team. 

If he wants a good example of what happens if Goody no longer forgives you, take a look at number 23 at Port Adelaide (as sad as that has become).

10 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

That is entirely up to Jeff and his attitude. We all know he can play the game when he wants to

10 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Not necessarily

beelzebub - surely it is up to him.  He has to really want to, and show that he wNts to (and not just like to) play at top level.  No way Goodwin will select him unless he shows some intensity.

Along with Vince and Lewis, Garletts done.
Doubt he has the desire or the game to get him back in the ones.
We're crying out for a small forward who can capitalise on the 600 forward entries a game that we can't convert.
Something Garlett should be tailor made for but ....... No.

Edited by Fork 'em

Garlett being out of favour is definitely one of the more puzzling and difficult ones to fathom. He was up in AA contention last year and just hasn’t been able to force his way back in since being dropped. 

He is up and down but so is every small forward. I understand though the bigger issue is what he does when he doesn’t have the ball. I really hope he can force his way back in, I miss seeing him electrify us with his magic. 

I do believe that unfortunately Jeff no longer fits the game plan as we are now playing a tight centre forward game.

Read the excellent thread started by John Demonic for more on our current game plan. While there is no doubt we need  a plan B as the article suggests it's hard to see Jeff providing it.

Hawthorn isn't publically saying much about their " small forward " problem at the moment and neither should we

I bet Cyril comes back with their support when the whips are cracking

Lets get around Jeffy too

10 hours ago, monoccular said:

beelzebub - surely it is up to him.  He has to really want to, and show that he wNts to (and not just like to) play at top level.  No way Goodwin will select him unless he shows some intensity.

My inference was it's not always up to any individual....not if cards are stacked against you.  if there is no actual way forward...then you dont progress.

Jack Watts did not fit a particular's mould...Nor does Jeffy...( and a few others )

Spargo already has the authority to play...when HE gets his act back up. 

Perhaps my Catch 22 hints missed the target ;)

• Thanks 1

Regardless of his form, I can't help thinking that with all of those inside 50's last week Jeffy would have gotten on the end of at least a few of them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beelzebub said:

My inference was it's not always up to any individual....not if cards are stacked against you.  if there is no actual way forward...then you dont progress.

Jack Watts did not fit a particular's mould...Nor does Jeffy...( and a few others )

Spargo already has the authority to play...when HE gets his act back up. 

Perhaps my Catch 22 hints missed the target ;)

... but it is a good way to advertise your wares, that are potentially up for grabs. blzb

38 minutes ago, ProperDee said:

Regardless of his form, I can't help thinking that with all of those inside 50's last week Jeffy would have gotten on the end of at least a few of them.

... yes no doubt, would have got a few, and so would have whatshisface, as well.

But we build for the future continually, to get better, stronger, and we can never take the foot off that accelerator.

Stopping for DoNoughts along the road, only wastes our efforts and energy, and wastes our time.

5 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

Yeah, maybe.
Was abit too tough in close for Jeffy I'd suggest.

Sadly that is all in the perception of the player...  f.e.a.r_ is a thing not to obey.

... it's THE thing to conquer.   to beat and to surpass.

14 hours ago, Win4theAges said:

Gone DV8. Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on it. No point having him around if Jeffy ain't going to play.

We need to get back into the draft and this might be the brain trusts thinking.

... sort of what i'm hoping for.   We have to make spaces for renewal.

We have to find ways to get back in, and we need to release some salary cap space, so we can work things.

This comment isn't about jeffy specifically, but about a few players Inc: Jeffy, Kent, Wagner, Frost, Vince, Lewis, Tyson, JK-H, Hunt, McKenna,

Edited by DV8

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, Win4theAges said:

Judging by his non involvement over the last few weeks and the drafting and emergence of Young charlie, is this the end of Jeffy?

NO ! If we play finals he will get a game. MARK MY WORDS AND WATCH THIS SPACE!

he just cant influence contests physically.  Its never been his strength I suppose but in todays game, with forward pressure being so important...his days may be numbered. Im  a fan of his tbh I just think the game may have passed him by. 

25 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

he just cant influence contests physically.  Its never been his strength I suppose but in todays game, with forward pressure being so important...his days may be numbered. Im  a fan of his tbh I just think the game may have passed him by. 

Seems the days of a mercurial goal sneak ...of individuals is gone.

All gotta fit the mould  ?

4 hours ago, DV8 said:

... sort of what i'm hoping for.   We have to make spaces for renewal.

We have to find ways to get back in, and we need to release some salary cap space, so we can work things.

This comment isn't about jeffy specifically, but about a few players Inc: Jeffy, Kent, Wagner, Frost, Vince, Lewis, Tyson, JK-H, Hunt, McKenna,

Vince and Jeffy there's 1m saved.

5 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

Yes forward pressure is important but my observations on our losses this season is that there has been near zero defensive forward pressure. The playbook has been the same every time. We bomb it in 60 plus times but our conversion rate is less than 20% and it comes straight out through the corridor or over our high press around the wings. It seems to me we are favouring defensive small forwards who can’t kick goals and aren’t defending that well either against the sides that can match us. Can we afford to play someone like a Jeffy who can kick a goal from nothing? I also note that Spargo is out, he is another with some spark but limited crash and bash ability which is Goodwin’s current preference.