• Podcast: Jayden Hunt Interview &      

Dr.D

THE 2018 AFL NATIONAL DRAFT

4 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

I think people have missed the point with Hogan. I'm not saying trade him because he isn't good. I personally just feel that he will want a return to W.A. So I'm not sure why people are skimming over this quite possible fact. I'd rather get full value from him than to lose him to free agency. 

As for the guy that said maybe trading guys like Stretch/Kent etc. will get us the likes of Sam Walsh, a possible top 2 pick. LOL. Try pick 45 son.

Also, packaging Dom Tyson with pick 31 would probably get us pick 20 or something around there. 2 averages doesn't equal good on the trade table.  Otherwise I'd give up stretch, kent, tyson and pick 31 for buddy. Some people just don't understand how the draft works. Some Watts lovers were spewing when we gave him up for pick 31. Dreaming. He isn't playing regular senior football as I predicted and Fristch is a 200 gamer :)

Will Hogan be worth more now or at the end of his contract do you think?

3 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I remember when we would start looking to the draft after round 1.

It's good being a real club again.

Atleast you are sane and make good sense...... and l am being serious.

The first two posts have us trading Hogan and Petracca. I stopped reading then and there. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Roost It said:

The first two posts have us trading Hogan and Petracca. I stopped reading then and there. 

Just getting a pre-emptive jump on our next re-build. FMD.

Ned McHenry.

Get this kid in. Elite endurance, skills, can play both inside and outside. Lightly built...two years with Geelong Falcons and Vic Country.

5 hours ago, Roost It said:

Once again, you're missing the point. Hogan decided NOT to sign a lengthy contract with us. It's his right. It will also be his right once he becomes a free agent to go wherever he chooses. It's definitely something worth considering if he is likely to go back to W.A. 

We are not going to get a top 10 pick just face it. Trading Petracca or Hogan is ridiculous. Tyson is the only player with any trade value and that a pick between the 20's and 30's.

The trade week and drafts are going to be lean next year unless Taylor pulls something out of his butt.

FA is what we have to look at and we must go after Gaff, for that to happen we must make the 8 and that's no certainty.

Bring in Gaff and Lever can be fit by round 1 after his knee reco, then we can go for that elusive premiership.

• Like 1

Posted this in another thread.

I think he's worth a look at, particularly the way Garlett has been of late...

3 hours ago, rjay said:

The Tiges have a few small forwards who can't get a game at the moment.

I would seriously look at a trade for Shai Bolton.

He's behind Rioli, Higgins etc at the mo.

We need some pace and x factor in the forward half.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rjay said:

Do they have another small forward that’s struggling to get a game as well? Stengle I believe....do you know much about him?

13 minutes ago, rjay said:

I think one thing is for certain at draft time is we will be going for pace. Expect an indigenous player or 2 and a player or 2 who can run the lines like Baker.

I don't really like the idea of "trading up" for this draft. As I understand this "Super Draft", it's not that the top end are all guns like Judd and Hodge etc, it's just deeper, more talent to pick from. I also believe this draft will have a few more talls going early, then midfield depth will follow, hopefully this means we can snag a good young outside mid with the picks we have?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

We are not going to get a top 10 pick just face it. Trading Petracca or Hogan is ridiculous. Tyson is the only player with any trade value and that a pick between the 20's and 30's.

The trade week and drafts are going to be lean next year unless Taylor pulls something out of his butt.

FA is what we have to look at and we must go after Gaff, for that to happen we must make the 8 and that's no certainty.

Bring in Gaff and Lever can be fit by round 1 after his knee reco, then we can go for that elusive premiership.

I think Gaff is probably our best bet. Or any other FA we won't have to trade for. I would be all for going hard at Sloane or Gaff providing we don't have to trade into them. We have nothing to trade anyway, but ideally we could bring in Gaff, move on Tyson, and use that second round pick on a kid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

I think Gaff is probably our best bet. Or any other FA we won't have to trade for. I would be all for going hard at Sloane or Gaff providing we don't have to trade into them. We have nothing to trade anyway, but ideally we could bring in Gaff, move on Tyson, and use that second round pick on a kid.

I reckon like most we go hard on getting a free agent Gaff or whoever FD decide. I don't agree with have 2 move on Tyson. He needs 2 be played on the inside & work on his kicking. These guys r full time surely the club individualise a players program so he can improve on his skills. Have a coach work with him or get a player who is an excellent kick 2 mentor him. We have already invested a lot in2 him, he is a good player. 

10 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

A slow outside receiver that is poor defensively is not what we need. I don't care how many brownlow votes he gets or how much of the footy he gets, he is terrible defensively and that is definitely not what we need. you've seen us against teams like richmond and hawthorn etc that beat us on the spread. Gaff would make us worse in this aspect. 

10 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

A slow outside receiver that is poor defensively is not what we need. I don't care how many brownlow votes he gets or how much of the footy he gets, he is terrible defensively and that is definitely not what we need. you've seen us against teams like richmond and hawthorn etc that beat us on the spread. Gaff would make us worse in this aspect. 

In one breath he calls him a 'slow outside receiver', and in the next says he doesn't care how many brownlow votes he might get, which is a fair indication of his ability.  Laughable stuff.

23 hours ago, deebug said:

The draft is not the way to go at this stage in the clubs development, we still have players on our list that haven't even played a game so maybe first give these kids a ago.

Oh and Jess will be a one club player he is not going any where.

Sorry, what???

Giving every young kid on our list "a go" is a prerequisite before drafting new kids???

Are you aware AFL rules state we must turn over min 3 each year (I think). Surely some of these replacements will be kids from the draft

Edited by Moonshadow

18 hours ago, Dr.D said:

Once again, you're missing the point. Hogan decided NOT to sign a lengthy contract with us. It's his right. It will also be his right once he becomes a free agent to go wherever he chooses. It's definitely something worth considering if he is likely to go back to W.A. 

What makes you think he even wants to go back?

5 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

In one breath he calls him a 'slow outside receiver', and in the next says he doesn't care how many brownlow votes he might get, which is a fair indication of his ability.  Laughable stuff.

mate, brownlow is a midfielders medal. He is an accumulator for one of the best teams in the league. just because you accumulate possessions offensively doesn't mean you are not a liability defensively. It's like getting James Harden to improve your defence, the guy is a spud defensively. And similar for Gaff, he is hopeless at the defensive stuff. Have you not seen much of him play? Geez, don't get sucked in by the numbers mate, look at his defensive work. Which is what we need. 

Edited by Dr.D

51 minutes ago, Roost It said:

What makes you think he even wants to go back?

Because he is from there and decided to not sign a long contract last time. You'd be naive not to think that there is a risk of him leaving with todays free agency culture. Very naive. 

5 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

mate, brownlow is a midfielders medal. He is an accumulator for one of the best teams in the league. just because you accumulate possessions offensively doesn't mean you are not a liability defensively. It's like getting James Harden to improve your defence, the guy is a spud defensively. And similar for Gaff, he is hopeless at the defensive stuff. Have you not seen much of him play? Geez, don't get sucked in by the numbers mate, look at his defensive work. Which is what we need. 

Harden just won the MVP.  The bloke can't be that bad.

And you're assuming Gaff is poor defensively.  Got any hard evidence to back it up, or just running with it to suit your opinion?

6 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Sorry, what???

Giving every young kid on our list "a go" is a prerequisite before drafting new kids???

Are you aware AFL rules state we must turn over min 3 each year (I think). Surely some of these replacements will be kids from the draft

Yes i agree with you, we have Dion Johnston who has been on our list for how long now? We have put time and money into him for what to be sitting in the seconds? Play him or let him go, we need a team that can win a flag not just beat the bottom sides.

I know we have to turn over our list and replace others, but as Paul Roos said the age these kids that get drafted should be 21 to see how they can play. We know only too well how the Toumpas draft went.

I just feel if you have kids sitting on your list such as Dion who has been at the club for years and not even played a game such a waste.

The draft yes has to happen but it's not always going bring you a magic fix as our club learnt the hard way.

I'm sorry if i said the wrong thing but people keep saying things such trade Hogan to fro or methcoke for picks 2 and 3, just makes think WTF, so you start again by using pic 2 and 3 and get mr magic or you use pick 2 and 3 and get one who goes to gws for the cash and one who can't even get on the field. 

Lets at least see if the kids such as Petty and Johnston might be just what we need to help the team before just of loading players for draft picks.

Apparently we have a candidate this year we get first crack at. Toby Bedford, a small forward. This is what was said after his game recently (https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/tag/toby-bedford/😞

#3 Toby Bedford (Dandenong Stingrays)

Starting the game inside 50 as a small forward, Bedford showed some fancy footwork on occasions but struggled to get into the game in the first half. Although late in the third quarter he was moved up the ground to the stoppages and created a real spark. He won a couple of hard balls in traffic and released each to advantage, before his defensive efforts were rewarded with a holding the ball free kick. He broke from a centre bounce in the final term and almost set up a goal with a long kick inside 50.

AFL link to where it links him to us:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-27/u18-the-fatherson-candidates-linked-to-your-club

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2