Jump to content

  • Podcast      

Wiseblood

Demons Grand Plan for Yarra Park Training HQ

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Must say the crowd numbers surprised me as well.

Six o'clock closing was not removed until 1966 and the comp started in 1956. I wonder if they had a special liquor licence that may go someway towards explaining the high attendances.

Perhaps it was the other way round.  I wonder whether six o'clock closing contributed to attendance by giving people something to do after the pubs closed, whether liquor was available at the ground or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

May we ask your vintage RN ?

Sorry Kids is referring to the original night series. It was played near the end of the season and was between the teams who didn't make the finals. The games were played at the old Lakeside Oval and due to the lack of strong lighting both on the ground and in the crowd area the event was notorious.

You of course are referring to our magnificent win at Waverley in 1987

Some wonderful history

This article contains some info on what they term the VFL night series...(Looks like we won in 1971 !!... the last year it was played)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFL_Night_Series

The 1987 series is apparently known as the AFL night series

Thank you for correctly pointing out I was talking about the old night series Diamond, it never occurred to me to differentiate between those goldenish days and the Waverly ones. I have never known an atmosphere like that old series since then. Dad would get my brother and myself into the ground, go off to the pub or greyhounds and meet us at the end of the game. We were very young but never felt the slightest danger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, praha said:

Every area is "historic" in context, Neil. We allow cars to park every week on this "historic" parkland. I've lived in East Melbourne and have been privy to the community events, meetings and whatnot. These are people that spend weeks debating whether or not an alleyway down a backstreet should be named after a madam that used to own a brothel during WW2. It is a bubble of a suburb where its long-term residence live in delusion that the world surrounds them, rather than them being part of the world. You couldn't find a more isolated and self-important group of people if you tried.

Turning a small part of the park into an oval with a thin layer of metal pole fencing isn't going to "change the historic layout". Nor is a building over railway tracks. If I learned anything while living in the area it's that if we listened to absolutely everything the inner-city champagne socialists spew, we'd likely still be getting around in horse and carriage. 

Yarra Park was placed on the Victorian Heritage registry in 2010 - with special emphasis on the layout and the tree planting - with an emphasis that this should not be altered. As no oval of a size suitable for our training could be provided in the Park without removing historic pathways and trees; and as the proposed 6 storey development proposed over the rail line would effectively block existing views into the park, good luck with trying to get anything approved within the park. I just don’t believe it would happen. 

Hence my thoughts on the area covered by Goshs Paddock Ovals 1 and 2. None of the above restrictions would apply. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

Yarra Park was placed on the Victorian Heritage registry in 2010 - with special emphasis on the layout and the tree planting - with an emphasis that this should not be altered. As no oval of a size suitable for our training could be provided in the Park without removing historic pathways and trees; and as the proposed 6 storey development proposed over the rail line would effectively block existing views into the park, good luck with trying to get anything approved within the park. I just don’t believe it would happen. 

Hence my thoughts on the area covered by Goshs Paddock Ovals 1 and 2. None of the above restrictions would apply. 

You have my vote NC. You have to wonder why the MFC thought they could over come these problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, old dee said:

You have my vote NC. You have to wonder why the MFC thought they could over come these problems.

maybe they really didn't think they had a chance, od, but by proposing this as their first choice it may have been a ploy to get more favourable support (and money) for their second (and real) choice

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, old dee said:

You have my vote NC. You have to wonder why the MFC thought they could over come these problems.

Thanks for articulating one reason I have my doubts about Pert if he is wasting club money and resources on a doomed plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 6:32 PM, Wrecker45 said:

Pert will have us positioned somewhere between Melbourne and Perth.

Dud.

Why does he go on triple m and talk about our game plan? He was removed from Collingwood for having too much involvement with the football department. 

He should be getting us the football facilities we need as CEO. Needs to learn his position.

We will never ever win a Flag with Pert at the Helm, Bookmark it!! Come to think of it it won't matter who is at the Helm.. after 55 years , Im not sure another 55 will make much difference!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sorry kids said:

Thanks for articulating one reason I have my doubts about Pert if he is wasting club money and resources on a doomed plan.

but this supposed preference for yarra park occurred before pert came on board

the board probably initially gave him instructions to explore it further. if so, he has been rather quiet about it since, which could mean it has gone cold. we haven't had a statement from the club on this issue for some time, so we are just guessing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

My memory is of winning a night flag at the old Sth Melbourne ground. Late 60s, early 70s, I could be wrong after all these years though. Anyone else remember.

I remember lying in bed excitedly listening to that game on my crystal radio set (true story), alligator clip attached to my cold metal hospital style bedhead as an aerial. The good old days.

Never quite understood how those things worked. No batteries?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

but this supposed preference for yarra park occurred before pert came on board

the board probably initially gave him instructions to explore it further. if so, he has been rather quiet about it since, which could mean it has gone cold. we haven't had a statement from the club on this issue for some time, so we are just guessing

I understand it was initially explored before he came on board. You say we are just guessing, that is true. and do you think that is a situation Members and supporters should be in after he has had enough time to cast his eye over it and meet with stakeholders. As Redleg said their are obstacles to the plan that make it extremely unlikely to be an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

I remember lying in bed excitedly listening to that game on my crystal radio set (true story), alligator clip attached to my cold metal hospital style bedhead as an aerial. The good old days.

Never quite understood how those things worked. No batteries?

It runs off the power of the radio signal itself. How loud it is in your ear depends on how much signal you can "collect" with the antenna. Using a big chunk of metal (like your bedhead) collects more signal, so, the radio works better.

If you're driving in a multi-storey car park, you will find that your car AM radio works best if you are under some big water pipes. They act as giant antennas. If you could clip your crystal radio to one, you would get awesome reception.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

maybe they really didn't think they had a chance, od, but by proposing this as their first choice it may have been a ploy to get more favourable support (and money) for their second (and real) choice

Or maybe they were just trying to avoid questions at the then AGM dc.

there may be a plan b however on past form you would be excused for thinking the Yarra park plan had a far bit of mushroom factory involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sorry kids said:

I understand it was initially explored before he came on board. You say we are just guessing, that is true. and do you think that is a situation Members and supporters should be in after he has had enough time to cast his eye over it and meet with stakeholders. As Redleg said their are obstacles to the plan that make it extremely unlikely to be an option.

anything he does (or doesn't do) on this project would have to go through the board. it may be his project to pickup but it's not his baby. your (our) issue with lack of public clarity is more likely a board issue than a pert issue. let's hope we hear an update before too long, but i wouldn't be burying anyone in particular yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, daisycutter said:

anything he does (or doesn't do) on this project would have to go through the board. it may be his project to pickup but it's not his baby. your (our) issue with lack of public clarity is more likely a board issue than a pert issue. let's hope we hear an update before too long, but i wouldn't be burying anyone in particular yet.

Well then, and I do not mean to be argumentative but either Pert thinks the project is a goer to keep pursuing or he does not have the ability to persuade the Board to drop it. Every day lost continues the embarrassment of Goschs paddock and lost opportunity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sorry kids said:

Well then, and I do not mean to be argumentative but either Pert thinks the project is a goer to keep pursuing or he does not have the ability to persuade the Board to drop it. Every day lost continues the embarrassment of Goschs paddock and lost opportunity. 

well that's just an assumption. there may be a lot of work going on in the background and good reasons for not making premature  public statements. just because we don't know is no reason to assume the worst, let alone start throwing blame around. if you are so concerned you could always mail the club and ask for some illumination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ill throw you one from left field, that probably has little to no chance of getting up, but why not...we are spit balling after all...

What about the Brunswick Street Oval. It has plenty of parkland around it. It can serve the community and it is loated in Melbourne's first suburb. It is as close to the city as one could ask for. There would be some obvious problems around parking, but there is space. It could be a great resurrection of a traditional VFL ground though. It has potential. 

Here is the satellite image. https://www.google.com/maps/search/brunswick+street+oval/@-37.7888106,144.9804102,275m/data=!3m1!1e3

The current dimensions are odd, but could be improved. Given the popularity of Fitzroy as an inner city hub, it could well be worth exploring. You'd need to leave the original pavillion, but there is space next to the tennis club and adjacent to the bowls club. The obvious issue would be parking and getting the lefties that live in the area to approve it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

ill throw you one from left field, that probably has little to no chance of getting up, but why not...we are spit balling after all...

What about the Brunswick Street Oval. It has plenty of parkland around it. It can serve the community and it is loated in Melbourne's first suburb. It is as close to the city as one could ask for. There would be some obvious problems around parking, but there is space. It could be a great resurrection of a traditional VFL ground though. It has potential. 

Here is the satellite image. https://www.google.com/maps/search/brunswick+street+oval/@-37.7888106,144.9804102,275m/data=!3m1!1e3

The current dimensions are odd, but could be improved. Given the popularity of Fitzroy as an inner city hub, it could well be worth exploring. You'd need to leave the original pavillion, but there is space next to the tennis club and adjacent to the bowls club. The obvious issue would be parking and getting the lefties that live in the area to approve it.  

If you think the East Melbourne residents are NIMBY's wait until you meet the gentry of North Fitzroy

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

If you think the East Melbourne residents are NIMBY's wait until you meet the gentry of North Fitzroy

I grew up there. So i am well in the know. 

Edited by Leoncelli_36
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

I grew up there. So i am well in the know. 

Possibly a slight change in demographic since then L36!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Possibly a slight change in demographic since then L36!

i lived there from 1996-2002, I don't know that it is much different. I accept your point though. Some of the development within the area has not exactly been in keeping with traditions of the North Fitzroy. Have a look at the apartment block arounf Jamieson and Freeman street 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   4 members

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    GIANT HEADACHE by The Oracle

    It seems so long ago that Melbourne took an unchanged line up into a game on the MCG against the Greater Western Sydney Giants and cleaned them up to the tune of 45 points.  In truth, the event occurred literally half a season ago in the final home and away round of the 2018 season and marked the Demons’ return to the finals with more triumphs to come in the weeks ahead. Of course, back then, it was the Giants who were wracked with injuries as they stumbled into the finals series facing the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LANDSLIDE by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons enjoyed the better of their first half against Port Melbourne on Saturday but fell away badly after half time to lose by 43 points. The Borough enjoyed the early break with the game’s opening two goals but the Demons took control to go out to an 8 point lead at quarter time, an advantage that it held for most of the second term until a late goal to the visitors clawed the lead back to a point.  The Casey ruck of Braydon Preuss and Liam Wale-Buxton were on top for most

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles 1

    SHOULD HAVE ... COULD HAVE by George on the Outer

    West Coast finally put the nail in the Demons 2019 season coffin with a 16 point win, but it was a game that Melbourne should have, could have, but didn’t win. Once again woeful, truly woeful work in the forward line, both kicking for goal and the lazy, cheap efforts of some let the side down. A solitary goal in the final quarter and only 9 goals from 24+ scoring opportunities was the costly difference in the game. The selectors, once again, made a critical error in not selecting

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SCREAM by Whispering Jack

    The Norwegian Expressionist artist Edvard Munch painted a number of versions of his famous work “Scream” and, every time my mind goes back to last year’s Preliminary Final at Optus Stadium between Melbourne and the West Coast Eagles, each and every one of them reverberates through my mind as if my head is being pummeled by a sledgehammer.  When I think of that half time scoreboard from that match showing West Coast at 10.9.69 to Melbourne 0.6.6, I feel like the man standing by the railing,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    NOT GAWN IN 60 SECONDS by George on the Outer

    You might recall a regular segment that once featured on the MFC website entitled, “Gawn in 60 Seconds”, in which Maxy would ask the hard questions of his teammates. However, there was no harder question asked than the one asked collectively of the whole team in the last 60 seconds of Saturday’s game against the Gold Coast Suns.  It was either follow me and my example or the Demons’ season, already hanging flimsily by huuua thread, would be truly “Gorn”.  It was at that stage when thos

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BOILOVER by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons caused the boilover of the season to date when they took on and beat the undefeated ladder leaders Essendon VFL by 41 points at Windy Hill.  The stunning result which was achieved with a season low of eight AFL-listed players, will surely kickstart the Demons’ ailing season after they lost their last two matches as a result of some poor third quarter fade outs against quality opposition. Casey got off to a great start with a mid-air soccer volley goal from Jimmy Munro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by Whispering Jack

    There would be very few among us who would have thought realistically at the start of the season that by the time Melbourne’s Round 8 trip to the Gold Coast came around, the visitors would not only be languishing in 16th place on the ladder, but also be sitting a game behind their hosts. In fact, had the Suns managed to goal late in their opening game against the Saints which they lost by a mere point, the gap between the two sides would have been even wider. Such has been the humiliation o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    UNDERDOGS by KC from Casey

    Thanks to the large injury list at Melbourne, the Casey Demons went into their fifth round clash with Footscray VFL as the underdogs and despite a courageous showing up to half time after conceding the game’s first four goals, their third quarter fade out saw them fall short against quality opposition for the second time in a week. Casey went into the game with only 9 AFL listers after Declan Keilty was called up to make his debut when Tim Smith was forced to pull out of the Melbourne team

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    IN THE PINK by George on The Outer

    A five point victory against the eternal nemesis in Hawthorn, didn’t put the Demons back in the black for the 2019 season ... but rather, it added a touch of pink to their fortunes, now showing some sign of life after an underwhelming start to the year. And pink was the most appropriate colour for the side and the supporters, given this game was the annual “Pink Ladies” match.  And none more so than this proud Demon fan who turned up to add his support to the cause and his team at the same

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EASIER SAID THAN DONE by The Oracle

    There is no way of getting around the fact that Melbourne is the disappointment team of the AFL competition and, because it came into the season as a big top four fancy and now sits stone motherless last with a 1-5 win-loss record, it is fast becoming a laughing stock.  The only way in which the Demons can restore any sense of pride, let alone its rapidly diminishing hopes of making the finals is for it to overcome Hawthorn on Saturday in the replay of last year’s preliminary final. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    POINT CRASH by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons went down by the narrowest of margins to a strong Richmond VFL combination in the Round 4 game at Casey Fields on Saturday after a rushed behind  to the Tigers in the game’s dying moments broke the deadlock. In a low scoring game, Casey took the early ascendency after conceding the first goal and held their lead for most of the first half going into the sheds at the main break with an 8 point lead. The Demons were led in defence by key position players, Oscar McDonald

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE LAST POST by George on the Outer

    The Last Post sounded out in memory of the fallen around a packed MCG at the Anzac Eve match against Richmond. The silence of the crowd assembled was in tribute to those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. But the Last Post was also an appropriate symbol of the finals aspirations now gone for the Melbourne Football club, after a mere six rounds of the 2019 Season.   How far has this team fallen!  From a Preliminary final contestant barely six months ago, to cellar dwelle

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...