• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm w/David Neitz

Wiseblood

Demons Grand Plan for Yarra Park Training HQ

We should bulldoze all that rubbish and scrubby land between  Anderson St South Yarra, The Yarra and the Shrine. Turn it into a mega training, entertainment complex and shopping precinct. Call it The Botanical Centre . We could leave a couple of trees. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Why cant we just train on the MCG?     We are the original tenant. We started playing there in the 1800's for gods sake.

That is correct.  Should never have lost that right and should be part of the deal.  

Home ground advantage at our original home ground.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skuit said:

Do you know if the goal to goal axis Dee Spencer has proposed is correct hells bells? 

From memory it’s roughly in that alignment

Edited by hells bells
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Biffen said:

We should bulldoze all that rubbish and scrubby land between  Anderson St South Yarra, The Yarra and the Shrine. Turn it into a mega training, entertainment complex and shopping precinct. Call it The Botanical Centre . We could leave a couple of trees. 

And plant 1964 fuschias around it

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hells bells said:

I know someone who has been working on this.

There will be enough space.

from what I’ve seen/heard it’s very exciting.

HB - obvious question, but do you know if it will be owned by the MFC? (I.e. not by the State Gov or AFL?)

10 hours ago, praha said:

The Greens and locals in East Melbourne won't like this. Unless an unmarked envelope is involved.

"Dear local councillors, If you put this facility in place, no one will EVER AGAIN be able to park on the land used for it. In fact, the bigger the facility, the more cars & more drivers you will punish! Yours, MFC"

8 hours ago, david_neitz_is_my_dad said:

Its pretty clear there isnt

If you look at just the dimensions of the MCG oval there clearly is.  Easily.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, praha said:

It's a bit like looney Yarra Council councillors complaining and pushing for a ban to parking in the grounds for events. Because 60+ years of cars parking there has done so much damage to the park...

"Two wheels good, four wheels bad"

That's all you need to know to understand most decisions made. In fact you are now you are qualified to be a local councillor.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PJ_12345 said:

HB - obvious question, but do you know if it will be owned by the MFC? (I.e. not by the State Gov or AFL?)

No mate sorry I don’t know those details

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Why cant we just train on the MCG?     We are the original tenant. We started playing there in the 1800's for gods sake.

This really is a valid point; original tennant stuff so easily overlooked with the incursive co-tenancy offered to other clubs and interests, far from the interests of the MCC and the MFC combined. However, the lure of a new purpose-built facility for MFC only is attractive and would overcome the problems associated with maintaining or modernising the current facilities within the MCG itself. 

7 minutes ago, the rolling fog said:

Bartlet is on MMM Hot Breakfast right now discussing the proposed Yarra Park training complex and also the Pert appointment

What did he say mate?

8 minutes ago, the rolling fog said:

Bartlet is on MMM Hot Breakfast right now discussing the proposed Yarra Park training complex and also the Pert appointment

And he’ll be on SEN shortly.

On SEN

Very doable

exciting

In talks with AFL and government 

Early days

Shouldnt cost $100m

Talking about funding

Conscience of building a public facility 

Heritage and relationship with MCG precinct for 160 years will hold us in good stead 

• Like 4

B

14 minutes ago, SFebey said:

On SEN

Very doable

exciting

Early days

Shouldnt cost $100m

Talking about funding

Heritage and relationship with MCG precinct for 160 years will hold us in good stead 

Awesome. This part is really important I think. Be great we could somehow have a gym or shared facilities that would making taking out a facility membership attractive. Then as part of the membership they become MFC members. we could start to work that whole side of the city into our base. I think the hawks had a big membership boost with their sharing of waverley facilities with the public. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

"Two wheels good, four wheels bad"

That's all you need to know to understand most decisions made. In fact you are now you are qualified to be a local councillor.

The maxim, at least in terms of efficiency of transport and environmental impact in a city context, is completely correct.

But let's not let facts get in the way of ideology, eh?

7 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

The Pullman and other buildings opposite the station are 10+ stories, and the RACGP building directly opposite the proposed site is 6 stories. If the Government gives the approval to build above the train tracks I don't see a reasonable argument against a 6 story building. Covering over the train lines should mean increased pedestrian access.

I don't think this piece of land slopes nearly as much as some of Yarra Park but it would be a challenge. It's a matter of selling the oval as a part of the park and as a community facility. I know East Melbourne residents are a certain type but there's Fitzroy Gardens, Treasury Gardens and the rest of Yarra Park to be enjoyed as purely park spaces. With apartments going up all over the city of Yarra and population booming the strong argument should be made that they need ovals. Council's can create parks from acquiring properties or re purposing car parks. Unless they have a huge vacant area they can't do that for an oval.

Like Copuchas, l also live in East Melbourne, one block away (and have done so for 38 years)! Yarra Park is administered by the MCC who have spent a lot of money improving its amenity (such as a large underground water storage area)! I, frankly, can’t see that a training oval would compromise local residents use of the park (for exercising their dogs) as the area wouldn’t be permanently alienated (any more than Gosch’s Paddock currently is)!

I am not sure about DS’s claim that “East Melbourne residents are certain types” other than the fact that we have a higher proportion of Demon supporters than any other suburb. The land over the rail is owned/controlled by VicTrack however I am sure that the MFC could secure a 99 year lease should the proposal gain State Government support and a six storey structure should not genuinely impact when one considers that most similar height building opposite in Wellington Parade (built in the seventies) are progressively being converted from office to residential use!

In my view the project has massive merit, with rail and tram right on the doorstop and the “G” 100 metres away.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, sue said:

As usual, PD introduces his politics into everything.  Since mods have a life beyond trawling for his political snipes they only remove those posts when people with different views respond to him causing the derailment to grow to unbearable proportions.   How about bans rather than chasing post removals?  You can start with me for responding to him.  

What Sue said.

[But to touch on the point: input from any sensible person, including a "greenie" (whatever that means), is to be welcomed. In fact, were it not for Greens - Franklin, Tarkine, Piliga, Bentley and on it goes. I think ProDee is confusing greens with NIMBYS which present orders of magnitude a larger problem]

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

B

Awesome. This part is really important I think. Be great we could somehow have a gym or shared facilities that would making taking out a facility membership attractive. Then as part of the membership they become MFC members. we could start to work that whole side of the city into our base. I think the hawks had a big membership boost with their sharing of waverley facilities with the public. 

Exactly. Were it to include a semi public gym, heavily branded as Demons, it might induce non-partisan attendees to consider a membership, or else, there are all sorts of cross promotional opportunities to bundle with membership, and derive revenue.

It's a fantastic idea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, timbo said:

What Sue said.

[But to touch on the point: input from any sensible person, including a "greenie" (whatever that means), is to be welcomed. In fact, were it not for Greens - Franklin, Tarkine, Piliga, Bentley and on it goes. I think ProDee is confusing greens with NIMBYS which present orders of magnitude a larger problem]

The current President of the “East Melbourne Group” is possibly the inner suburb’s biggest NIMBY!

11 hours ago, praha said:

The Greens and locals in East Melbourne won't like this. Unless an unmarked envelope is involved.

The local member for the State seat of Melbourne, in which Yarra Park resides, is Ellen Sandell (Greens party). She's already been on radio complaining about it.

10 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Comments below article in The Hun have some up in arms that the govt would be giving up public park space to a football club. Not really accurate at all, as it would value add to the park and only be used by club during training times. I'm guessing it would have a basic fence like Goschs. Assuming there is no building proposed on parkland and there are no decent sized trees involved, I can't see the problem. Goschs Paddock oval could even have its posts and fence removed to make it less of a sports ground.

It would be good politics for Gosch's park to be restored as "proper" parkland when we leave.

My suspicion (with no evidence to back it up) is that getting out of poker machines might have been a pre-condition to getting State and/or Federal funding for the project. The Western Bulldogs got federal money for the redevelopment of Whitten Oval on that condition. It's the perfect time to be seeking State and Federal support with both governments heading towards elections within the next 11 months (or sooner).

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, SFebey said:

On SEN

Very doable

exciting

Early days

Shouldnt cost $100m

Talking about funding

Hopefully DL can post the SEN link (I never seem able to find them)

38 minutes ago, SFebey said:

On SEN

Very doable

exciting

Early days

Shouldnt cost $100m

Talking about funding

And the government HAS to include Spring Street as well as Federal. The Federals have pumped millions into Geelong, Essendon, North and of course the filth.

3 minutes ago, timbo said:

Hopefully DL can post the SEN link (I never seem able to find them)

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/06/19/pert-the-standout-candidate-for-demons-ceo-job-bartlett/

In future if you go to the SEN homepage, trawl through headlines, click on article and normally at the bottom there is the audio, hope this helps.

Edited by SFebey
  • Thanks 1