Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Demons Grand Plan for Yarra Park Training HQ

Wiseblood

1 hour ago, Demons1858 said:

Do we seriously need a royal commission for scum bags

These  scum bags have been poorly treated, plus their philanthropic pursuits have been cruelly curtailed for some years. Let's cut them some slack

• 2 weeks later...

A somewhat apposite article about the members of a golf club adjoining the Wimbledon tennis complex selling out:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/13/wimbledon-to-expand-after-golf-club-members-vote-to-sell-for-65m

"Debate over the merits of the takeover had fractured the peace and tranquillity of the golf club’s fairways, laid out on parkland created by Capability Brown in the 18th century. “It’s like Brexit,” Devons, said. “You are either for it or against it. The offer split members and put decades-long golf partnerships on the rocks.”

mind you each of the members picked up a cool $170K or thereabouts

I agree with others views such as @binman and @Lucifer's Hero that a meeting place for members/fans/supporters is important.  If we segway to the other thread about rebuilding the MFC as a great club again, then great club's are based around people and I think that bringing together all our people and building a sense of belonging is vital to that.  I hear the sentiments of those like @Sir Why You Little that not all MCC members are the wealthy toff types and that stereotyping and segregating MFC supporters is not the way to go.  Thus a truely universal social facility that brings together MFC & MFC/MCC members under the one roof would be a good outcome.  

I 've never been an MCC member myself, but for most of my life I've been a MFC member - presently an interstate one.  When in my youth a real highlight of our home games going to the footy was attending the 'Demons Club' (I think that's what it use to be called) in one of the function rooms in bouls of the old Northern stand.  I recall it having a bit of a mix of MFC and MCC supporters, they put on a good spread of nibbles and it was a great family atmosphere.  In my view that's the kind of thing we need to rebuild as a cultural institution of the MFC and it would be good if that could encompass all of the Redleg Club (which I recall as being more of a MCC crowd, but could well be wrong), Demon Army, standard rank and file MFC members together in one spot.  Perhaps that's actually the kind of thing which could provide the value to some of the MCC members to join as combined MFC members.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

The opposition to the potential MFC training facility at Yarra Park by some of the local residents assioation has been well highlighted in this thread and is certainly something that the club will need to work on/with.  However, it was also interesting listening to the Glen Bartlett interview that one of the things he said is that there was actually a shortage of playing feilds in the area.

What I'm reading into that is that is that the MFC needs to build support and alliances with some of the local sporting clubs in the area to them behind the proposal.  That kind of local community support would help ballance out the disgruntled resident types by demonstrating real mutual comunity benifit.

I recon it's a case of watch this space.

• Like 2

I would hope that the club is not just looking at the site running next to jolimont station but also looking at the lot of land that runs between Punt rd oval and the southern stand along Brunton Avenue. This site offers all the functionality that the jolimont site offers given proximity to Richmond station, brunton Avenue and the southern stand concourse and requires immediate attention given how poor a path it is to the ground at peak times. As a resident of the area and user of the park, this site is not frequented by the dog walkers and has recently been allocated commonly to small concerts and festivals. I can’t honestly see how residents could object on the grounds of current usage and impact on views. If anything it will be improved by development.

I just hope it’s being considered if plan A doesn’t get up.

Edited by Firsttimelongtime
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

The opposition to the potential MFC training facility at Yarra Park by some of the local residents assioation has been well highlighted in this thread and is certainly something that the club will need to work on/with.  However, it was also interesting listening to the Glen Bartlett interview that one of the things he said is that there was actually a shortage of playing feilds in the area.

What I'm reading into that is that is that the MFC needs to build support and alliances with some of the local sporting clubs in the area to them behind the proposal.  That kind of local community support would help ballance out the disgruntled resident types by demonstrating real mutual comunity benifit.

Children’s sporting clubs in the area and it’s golden. The punishing baby boombers opposing it will have no chance if we can shoehorn kids teams into the proposal. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cards13 said:

Children’s sporting clubs in the area and it’s golden. The punishing baby boombers opposing it will have no chance if we can shoehorn kids teams into the proposal. 

not meaning to be facetious but I suspect there aren't that many children in the immediate area.

The nearest concentration would probably be at the Collingwood and Richmond high rise areas.

Heard on the radio this morning that the Bulldogs got another $5M today to upgrade the Whitten oval. Cannot find a link

20 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

He mentioned East Melbourne cricket club. Not quite sure if that is existing club or an extinct one he thought we could help revive.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Heard on the radio this morning that the Bulldogs got another $5M today to upgrade the Whitten oval.

We're victims of our ground being taken over by the rest of the competition.

Maybe the co tenants should help fund our new home base.

25 minutes ago, rjay said:

We're also victims of being the illegitimate son of the Mcc...  so just on child support all our lives, and left out of the Will.

Maybe we should all be getting about in flannels.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

not meaning to be facetious but I suspect there aren't that many children in the immediate area.

The nearest concentration would probably be at the Collingwood and Richmond high rise areas.

Heard on the radio this morning that the Bulldogs got another $5M today to upgrade the Whitten oval. Cannot find a link

not too sure about that, what with all the new cbd/sb apartments within walking distance or 2 minute tram trip to yarra park

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rjay said:

Agree with the first part. We were evicted from training at the G, something we did for over 100 years, before the other co tenants came along. I was Team Manager in 1979, under Coach Big Carl and it was an enormous thrill for everyone connected with the club, to be on the ground during training. I will never forget it.

As for the second point,  that won't happen, but if we get a deal up and running the AFL will chip in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjay said:

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Agree with the first part. We were evicted from training at the G, something we did for over 100 years, before the other co tenants came along. I was Team Manager in 1979, under Coach Big Carl and it was an enormous thrill for everyone connected with the club, to be on the ground during training. I will never forget it.

As for the second point,  that won't happen, but if we get a deal up and running the AFL will chip in.

Only half serious with the 2nd point there 'Red' but we should pick up some funds from outside the club.

It might not happen directly but any AFL funding should take this into consideration.

Everyone else seems to get an advantage on at times rather spurious assumptions and proposals.

29 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

not too sure about that, what with all the new cbd/sb apartments within walking distance or 2 minute tram trip to yarra park

not many children in those shoe boxes in the cbd and even then North Melbourne is probably closer to many.

Southbank is relatively well serviced by Port Melbourne ovals

22 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I agree with others views such as @binman and @Lucifer's Hero that a meeting place for members/fans/supporters is important.  If we segway to the other thread about rebuilding the MFC as a great club again, then great club's are based around people and I think that bringing together all our people and building a sense of belonging is vital to that.  I hear the sentiments of those like @Sir Why You Little that not all MCC members are the wealthy toff types and that stereotyping and segregating MFC supporters is not the way to go.  Thus a truely universal social facility that brings together MFC & MFC/MCC members under the one roof would be a good outcome.  

I 've never been an MCC member myself, but for most of my life I've been a MFC member - presently an interstate one.  When in my youth a real highlight of our home games going to the footy was attending the 'Demons Club' (I think that's what it use to be called) in one of the function rooms in bouls of the old Northern stand.  I recall it having a bit of a mix of MFC and MCC supporters, they put on a good spread of nibbles and it was a great family atmosphere.  In my view that's the kind of thing we need to rebuild as a cultural institution of the MFC and it would be good if that could encompass all of the Redleg Club (which I recall as being more of a MCC crowd, but could well be wrong), Demon Army, standard rank and file MFC members together in one spot.  Perhaps that's actually the kind of thing which could provide the value to some of the MCC members to join as combined MFC members.

I can't work out how to provide a link but i heard Kate Roffey being interviewed on RSN this morning. Kate is the director of the Western Melbourne soccer team bid that was successful (which is awesome as i live in the west and my daughter plays soccer so clubs in the area will def benefit. I will def adopt them as my team). Impressive. 

Fascinating interview, which covers a lot of ground. One element relevant to the discussion of a meeting space for fans is the bids focus n building their own stadium and 'activating' it as part of the strategy to build their fan base and create meaningful connection with their team. Well worth a listen and the dees yarra park plans get a mention.  

Link to website is here and you the stream is on the right hand side of the landing page:

https://www.rsn.net.au/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

You’d think there wouldnt be a heap but Isn’t there a primary school right “behind” the proposed ground, on corner of Punt rd? 

The other thing I took out of The Bartlett interview was the fact they had consultants review “every piece of available land in Melbourne”. They aren’t coming at this half c ocked. 

Edited by Cards13

1 hour ago, Cards13 said:

You’d think there wouldnt be a heap but Isn’t there a primary school right “behind” the proposed ground, on corner of Punt rd? 

The other thing I took out of The Bartlett interview was the fact they had consultants review “every piece of available land in Melbourne”. They aren’t coming at this half c ocked. 

Cards, that primary school was converted to apartments a few years ago.

• Sad 1

Yarra Park hosted a music festival on Saturday called Petting Zoo. Typical drugged up singlet wearing idiots dancing in a big heap of mud to EDM.

The idea that it's always a public park full of peaceful trees and people walking dogs is pretty false. It's a public space best used for public activities. A sporting oval available for the public would help a lot of those activities.

• Like 3

The Yarra Park proposal really has not one chance in hell of ever getting up. Really as much as I would love to be in Yarra Park.

We would be better off looking to build at Goschs and stay there. If we could demolish AAMI Park that would be ideal. Surely it is clad in flammable aluminium or something.

There must be some genius who can work out how to build at Goschs.

11 minutes ago, special robert said:

The Yarra Park proposal really has not one chance in hell of ever getting up. Really as much as I would love to be in Yarra Park.

We would be better off looking to build at Goschs and stay there. If we could demolish AAMI Park that would be ideal. Surely it is clad in flammable aluminium or something.

There must be some genius who can work out how to build at Goschs.

We need to hurry up, since the collingwood soccer team will be coming next year. And you know how that mob get given anything they want, they might just try and take Goschs for their very own.

5 hours ago, Redleg said:

5 hours ago, rjay said:

Only half serious with the 2nd point there 'Red' but we should pick up some funds from outside the club.

It might not happen directly but any AFL funding should take this into consideration.

Everyone else seems to get an advantage on at times rather spurious assumptions and proposals.

Surely with all the coin that the AFL have been prepared to throw at the expansion clubs a bit of funding from them would be a reasonable thing.

As for some of the others, like Melbourne City Council, the Victorian and National Governments and even the MCC to an extent and surely they need to reconise the cultural and heritage importance and significance of the MFC and that the club really needs a proper permanent facility around the location of it's historical birthplace and namesake to survive and prosper into the future.  Some important negioation, politicing and promotion of the MFC cause to be done by Pert, Bartlett and Co to be done over the next few years I think.  Melbourne members and supporters can and should be part of that push.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Surely with all the coin that the AFL have been prepared to throw at the expansion clubs a bit of funding from them would be a reasonable thing.

As for some of the others, like Melbourne City Council, the Victorian and National Governments and even the MCC to an extent and surely they need to reconise the cultural and heritage importance and significance of the MFC and that the club really needs a proper permanent facility around the location of it's historical birthplace and namesake to survive and prosper into the future.  Some important negioation, politicing and promotion of the MFC cause to be done by Pert, Bartlett and Co to be done over the next few years I think.  Melbourne members and supporters can and should be part of that push.

Knowing the way the AFL seems to prioritise things these days, they'll probably fund a rectangular oval for us to share with AFLX.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Based on this article Yarra Park is the one we will go hardest for Not a Pipe Dream

It looks like we aim to generate a groundswell of community support (and thereby drown out the 'not-in-my-backyard' type objections of the Residents Group).  Pert said:  "Quite a few of the community groups and individuals are really excited by the possibilities. What they're saying is that this is an area where there's no flat ground."

Amassing support of the broader community is a good strategy:  get the numbers on-side and implicitly isolate the Residents Group.

In that article there is a steely resolve by Bartlett and Pert that we will make it happen. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Based on this article Yarra Park is the one will go hardest for Not a Pipe Dream

It looks like we aim to generate a groundswell of community support (and thereby drown out the 'not-in-my-backyard' type objections of the Residents Group).  Pert said:  "Quite a few of the community groups and individuals are really excited by the possibilities. What they're saying is that this is an area where there's no flat ground."

Amassing support of the broader community is a good strategy:  get the numbers on-side and implicitly isolate the Residents Group.

There is a steely resolve in that article that we will make it happen. 

The line I found interesting was the quote that says"so there would be no fencing or no structures in Yarra Park"

If that is referring to the fence that quite properly protects people from falling into the railway viaduct, it would be a massive boost for the people living in East Melbourne as it would genuinely open Yarra Park up with much greater access from Wellington Parade. 

Conversely, though, I don't understand what he means when he says  "no structures in Yarra Park". How can there be admin and training facilities without structures? Perhaps they will be built "underground", meaning with the parkland on top, but that sounds like a horribly expensive option.