• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

One less televised prime time game for us as well. Well, without knowing the 2020 draw im only guessing but its probable considering our rank 2019.

So we lose some nice coin, and probably have less prime-time exposure. Keeping sponsors is already a tough gig for a club like ours and this will just make it harder. (if we dont get a replacement prime-time game) Dont get me wrong, i am happy we dont need to go to Darwin any more, but where is all of our replacement revenue going to come from?

Too late to change our position on pokies?... (Rhetorical question only as i know we wont)

• Like 2
  • Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hearing from extremely reliable sources that the MFC is looking to get out of the Darwin part of the NT deal. Club has no issue with the Alice component and was very happy with this year's 'Heart

And PJ.

Gee, there's a lot of huffing and puffing on here about what should be a basic recovery for professional athletes. We won the week after Darwin and surged in the second half of the game, didn't we? Mu

1 hour ago, Tough Kent said:

100% happy to move on from Darwin for a number of reasons. But the club decided it was worth the investment of time and resources, and to have it yanked from under us like that is absurd. 

You’d think the AFL would’ve discussed the proposal with Pert and brainstormed ways that we could make up the shortfall in revenue?

I would imagine the hope will be that all the supporters that have whinged about the Darwin game will actually go to the home game that has returned to Victoria (presumably at Marvel).

Would be interesting to know what crowd numbers we would need for the returned game (most likely vs Freo/West Coast/Port) to make it more profitable than selling one game to Darwin.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

one down..one to go 

I don't mind the Alice game... it can become a big annual TV event. The problem is that the ground only holds around 10k and to maximise TV cover we need it to be played at night. Should be our indigenous round game.

There's something mythical about the Alice whereas Darwin is just meh

• Like 3
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Time to get serious about hosting a home and away game at Casey. Sell 12k tickets and profit all the cash rather than write a cheque for playing at Marvel.

Interesting but the crowd facilities are just not there for such a game. You would need to consult Kenny as to how many port-a-loos would be needed.

Like the lateral thought.

3 hours ago, Tough Kent said:

So we lose a game that we've put a lot of time and effort into developing over the years, and the AFL are also going to give the Suns our pick 2. That seems fair

Suns have asked the AFL for our midfield group including Max, Clarry and Gus and the AFL are considering it.

AFL have told us not to complain, as they have said we will be given a round 4 pick for all of them, as compo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
3 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

It does seem rough and unfair, but I'm happy to get away from the joint from a winning and recovery point of view.

How will Pert and Co address the shortfall in revenue lost?

And the pokies money. And the memberships going south again. Plenty of shortfall only partially offset by Anzac/QB home games next year.

• Like 2

So what happens to our recruiting zone then? Does that mean we give up our NT recruiting zone? I wouldn't say Dandenong has been particularly fruitful thus far. Oakleigh would be better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Interesting but the crowd facilities are just not there for such a game. You would need to consult Kenny as to how many port-a-loos would be needed.

Like the lateral thought.

Apparently the Dogs got 9,560 in Ballarat whilst the record attendance at Casey Fields is 10,099 for a Hawks v Bombers preseason game in 2007.

A quick google shows that about 65-100 toilets would do the job for a crowd that size, I'm sure whoever does the races every year would have it sorted. Food and drink is easy. Traffic would be a nightmare but hey you only have to do it once.

I think I'd whinge non stop about it when it happened but at least it would be a proper home game and something new. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, A F said:

So what happens to our recruiting zone then? Does that mean we give up our NT recruiting zone? I wouldn't say Dandenong has been particularly fruitful thus far. Oakleigh would be better.

As it currently stands according to the website our NT zone is in South West NT around Alice, whilst Darwin isn't allocated for Indigenous talent (maybe becomes Gold Coast now?). Geel, Coll, Haw, Ess also have parts of the NT.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/game-development/nab-afl-rising-star-program/nga-clubacademies

The NGA zones in Victoria don't match up with NAB league (formerly TAC) teams do they? St Kilda has a big bayside area all the way to Frankston  kids from that area could play for Sandringham, Dandenong or Oakleigh, Collingwood have a zone that stretches along the freeways which could be Box Hill, Oakleigh, Sandringham or even Northern Knights kids. We have Dandenong to Cranbourne and then the Mornington Peninsula. We got Toby Bedford because he's from Rosebud not because of the TAC team he played for.

I don't even know if there's a prominent Indigenous community in any part of our Victorian zone, possibly Rosebud and surrounding area - excuse my ignorance if I'm missing a big community. The multicultural aspect around Dandenong is probably a more likely recruiting stream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any emerging football talent like a Gilbert Macadam or Liam Jurrah would be a recruiting coup from our Central Australian Academy program.

A part of me will still miss the opportunity to go up to the top end and play. Where else can you walk back to the airport after a game? If we still get to go occasionally but GC host then I'd be happy with that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Suns have asked the AFL for our midfield group including Max, Clarry and Gus and the AFL are considering it.

AFL have told us not to complain, as they have said we will be given a round 4 pick for all of them, as compo.

Source?

48 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I saw two games in Darwin- one a thrashing, one a win

Great to watch footy and drink beer in around 25 degrees and a terrific environment 

However... its time has come

There was NEVER  a time for a team called  Melbourne  to play in the NT

Never...Never

• Like 1
1 minute ago, beelzebub said:

There was NEVER  a time for a team called  Melbourne  to play in the NT

Never...Never

Yeah  ....but hot night , cold beer while the weather was [censored] in Melbourne... wasn’t bad!

• Like 1

Have we recruited anyone of note from the NT since we went up there to play?  Our only decent NT players were Matty Whelan and Aaron Davey and they were a long time before we went up there. All the recent good NT players like the Rioli’s play elsewhere. Aside from the money the whole adventure sucks. Cost us games and the only modicum of support we get is from remote locals bussed in to wear brand new MFC gear at the games aside from a few wandering fans. Rather like the GWS supporters.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Sounds like it might be a bit of a mutual decision, so I hope Pert has some tricks up his sleeve for cash going forward.

"But the long flight to Darwin to play in 30-plus degree heat has weakened Melbourne’s desire to continue.

But Alice Springs, with its shorter flights to Melbourne and cooler weather in the middle of the year suits them well.

The 2020 AFL draw will not be released until mid-October.

But sources say Traeger Park in Alice Springs is the only NT ground you will see the red and blue jumpers running around in next season."

Gold Coast Suns tipped to play major Victorian club in Darwin coup

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Sounds like it might be a bit of a mutual decision, so I hope Pert has some tricks up his sleeve for cash going forward.

"But the long flight to Darwin to play in 30-plus degree heat has weakened Melbourne’s desire to continue.

But Alice Springs, with its shorter flights to Melbourne and cooler weather in the middle of the year suits them well.

The 2020 AFL draw will not be released until mid-October.

But sources say Traeger Park in Alice Springs is the only NT ground you will see the red and blue jumpers running around in next season."

Gold Coast Suns tipped to play major Victorian club in Darwin coup

Yep this is what I saw this afternoon 

it’s time to make the player priority 1, and the prime source for generating revenue. 

The season often went flat after a trip to The NT

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Tough Kent said:

100% happy to move on from Darwin for a number of reasons. But the club decided it was worth the investment of time and resources, and to have it yanked from under us like that is absurd. 

You’d think the AFL would’ve discussed the proposal with Pert and brainstormed ways that we could make up the shortfall in revenue?

Perhaps we asked to be relieved of the Darwin game? I'm surprised how many people in this thread are finding negatives about the loss of the Darwin game given that there seems to be uniform and unequivocal detestation for it each year when we play there.