rjay

Changes v Port

2 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

Looked far too slow and small down back. Fancy that useless donkey Cox killing us.

Doesn't help when you get smashed in the midfield allow the opposition to attack in waves. Nothing to do with the back 6.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Port will be a massive game

At this stage you’d likely say Garlett and T Smith / Weideman for Spargo and Pedersen, although I’d like Tyson in for Vince and play Harmes defensively where he can be accountable for a man 

No idea how we match up with Port’s tall forward structure of Dixon, Marshall, Watts plus Westhoff floating in

As always it’ll come down to the midfield battle and winning contested ball, something we’ve been smashed in for two weeks

13 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Won’t be seeing Hunt anytime soon. He was at the game today on crutches. Not sure if the injury but he said he’d be off legs for a while.

Bummer, just not his year this year I think. Has looked out of form since preseason. Actually looked really tired all summer as well.

Keep one of the old timers in the side then. Probably Bernie.

I'm a massive Hunt fan but he did absolutely f all in the 2s. 

1 minute ago, Jibroni said:

Doesn't help when you get smashed in the midfield allow the opposition to attack in waves. Nothing to do with the back 6.

Smith on Cox was a total mismatch we need 2 key backs, one is not enough especially when Oscar puts in a shocker like that.

3 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I'm not against rewarding form, but Pedersen was rewarded for it and we all saw how he went.  It's how he's gone for a while now.

Just out of curiosity who would you bring in for Pedo? Port only have Westoff as backup.

I think Weed deserves another shot.

• Like 2

Need more pace.  Hunt Stretch Garlett.  Fast footy suits our style. 

Need Frost to play on Dixon. Cox destroyed Omcd who was not strong enough right now.

back 6 was ok but restructure 

Jetta (wingard) omcd (westoff)  frost (Dixon)  j. Smith  (Watts)  Hibberd (r gray)  Salem (s gray)  Lewis plays loose half back

Tyson is definitely able to assist our clearance rate  

Viney gets Wines head to head

Petracca out of form. Spargo needs a break.  Pedo was lost. Vince is just going and needs to win the footy. Hannan is playing loose with little accountability of rebounding defenders 

ins. Frost Stretch Hunt Garlett Tyson

outs. Hannan Petracca Spargo Pedersen Vince

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Haven't we?  That's funny.  I thought we'd smashed 6 teams off the park recently, but there you go.  We played nobody.

Yes there are 6 woeful sides out there.

Just now, WERRIDEE said:

Smith on Cox was a total mismatch we need 2 key backs, one is not enough especially when Oscar puts in a shocker like that.

Cox was there only tall forward. Our defence struggled without Lever but our lack of pressure at the contest didn't help.

• Like 1

Tyson and Petty are the two main candidates to come in.

JKH a smokey. Weid possible replacement for a very quiet Pedders.

Garlett a maybe.

Hunt no way.

Team balance will dictate.

Edited by Petraccattack

5 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

Just out of curiosity who would you bring in for Pedo? Port only have Westoff as backup.

I think Weed deserves another shot.

I'd go for either Weid or Tim Smith.  Not fussed who it is.  But I think we've seen all we need to with Pedersen.  His time as an AFL player is pretty much done if today is anything to go by.

• Like 1

Stretch isn’t fast when he spends most of his time running around in circles or into trouble. I admire his work ethic but I wish he’d take the game on to utilise his potential pace, but for some reason he never does. Confidence issue?

Still too early for Petty. One inexperienced back (Smith) is enough for the moment.

2 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Ins. Frost Stretch Hunt Garlett Tyson

5 changes?

Prefer Spargo over Stretch and Petracca deserves another shot.

• Like 2

JKH was recontracted for a reason. Smashed it at Casey the last two weeks and Rawlings has been glowing in his assessment. He provides run and carry. If not now its probably never. Needs a few games to prove himself.

• Like 3

Definite and obvious: Out Pedo In Weid. This should help fix our forward structures. 

We probably need another tall defender for PA's talls. Smith is fine for shorter forward lines (until Oscar went off injured) but PA play Ryder plus Westhoff and and Dixon (both 200cm) so Frost/Petty need to come in for a defender, probably Vince.

On form I'd like to bring Tyson into the team but he has to play inside mid. The only way I can see this working is moving Jones to a flank and dropping Vince/Harmes/ANB.

Finally, considering bringing one of Hannan/Spargo/Petracca for Garlett. Just to change it up and give us a spark. All have had good moments, but none have been dominate, and a different mix could be beneficial. 

Given I don't think 4 changes is necessary after 6/7 wins, I think:

In: Weid, Petty/Frost

Out: Pedo, Vince

With the option of Garlett in for a small forward as a 3rd option. 

Edited by deanox

11 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Need more pace.  Hunt Stretch Garlett.  Fast footy suits our style. 

Need Frost to play on Dixon. Cox destroyed Omcd who was not strong enough right now.

back 6 was ok but restructure 

Jetta (wingard) omcd (westoff)  frost (Dixon)  j. Smith  (Watts)  Hibberd (r gray)  Salem (s gray)  Lewis plays loose half back

Tyson is definitely able to assist our clearance rate  

Viney gets Wines head to head

Petracca out of form. Spargo needs a break.  Pedo was lost. Vince is just going and needs to win the footy. Hannan is playing loose with little accountability of rebounding defenders 

ins. Frost Stretch Hunt Garlett Tyson

Happy with this.Need to realise even when we ere winning easy Hannan, Petracca, Spargo and Vince were not getting much of the ball and poor old Pedersen is just a good, albeit very good VFL player. 5 changes is not that drastic when you have some decent depth.

40 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

FB: Jetta  Oscar  Hibberd
HB: J Smith Petty  Salem
😄 Fritsch  Oliver  Stretch
HF: ANB    Hogan   Spargo
FF: Viney   Tommy   Melksham
Foll: Gawn  Brayshaw  Jones
Int: Hunt, T Smith, JKH, Harmes

Out: Vince, Lewis, Pedersen, Hannan, Petracca
In: Petty, Hunt, T. Smith, JKH, Stretch

That's my 5 as of tonight. Let the bye and actions of players demand if they be picked and not dropped.

I think Harry Petty deserves a shot as a genuine CHB and I just want Hunt back in. Had enough of the old battlers.

Bull Smith is an obvious one to come in and offer more than Pedersen as the third tall. Thought Pedersen went ok and still has to be an option if Hogan or T Mc get injured but we need the forward pressure, we can't have 3 non tackling talls.

Otherwise I think it's time for midfield reinforcements even if guys have had a rest after the bye. That means Stretch in on a wing to tag Polec and in more of a surprise I'd give JKH one last shot as a midfielder. I'd be resting/rotating the mids more through the forward line, starting with Jack Viney opening the game in a forward pocket and setting the tone for forward pressure. But Harmes, JKH, Fritsch, Oliver I'd rotate them all through.

No more rotating Tom McDonald on a wing. No more Hogan on ball either unless he's not getting in the game. 

Like to keep Tom in 4ward 50 & Hogan 2. What r people's thoughts on Harmes, Neal-Bullen & Hannan???

20 minutes ago, martin said:

JKH was recontracted for a reason. Smashed it at Casey the last two weeks and Rawlings has been glowing in his assessment. He provides run and carry. If not now its probably never. Needs a few games to prove himself.

The notion of JKH being in our afl 22 frightens me

• Like 8

Anyone suggesting Baker is near ready for senior selection is kidding themselves.

• Like 3

We need to pick players that deserve a game, from what I’ve seen Hunt & Garlett are struggling to get a kick at Casey

• Like 1

Agree with the consensus on Pedo. Weeds and Tim Smith share that role now depending on form. Time to see how Garlett & Tyson fit into this new structure. Petty in for taller Forward line like West Coast

The hope was fantastic while it lasted but we still need a Gaff or similar and are still building as a team so get more time and games into our youth. 

Edited by Lord Ivanhoe

As much as I hate it we need Lewis still.  He gives 30 touches each week and mostly pin points the kicks (I know one was a shocker).  He's too slow but the benefits outweigh the negative.  We need his experience and help to some of the younger ones. 

That said we need pace.  Something is wrong with hunt because he's not running even at casey.  Baker is tallish, is quick and most importantly runs through the spine.  We have too many of Nibbler, Brayshaw,  Harmes, Salem, and Spargo.  Medium sized, not fast, not overly good at marking and most importantly nearly always go out wide.  When we win well they all play well but not when we are in close games.  One of them has to go.

If Tim Smith is fit again, he's done enough to come back in.  He needs a patch of at least 5 games to get confident.  They've done it with Spargo and he'll be better for it over the next few years.  He comes back for Pedo.

Joel smith did enough, is athletic and adds variety to defence.  He needs 4 -5 game patch.   That said, if we play someone with to big talls like Weagles I'd like to see Petty have a crack.  He's our only 197cm defender and looks to have some footy nous.

B: Jetta  Omac   Salem

HB:Smith Petty   Hibberd

C.  ANB     Viney   Fritsch

HF: Trac    Tmac   Melksham

F. Spargo   Hogan  Weid

R. Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw 

I/C: Harmes, Lewis, Hannan, Jones

Out: Vince, Pedersen

In: Petty, Weid

1 hour ago, rjay said:

Don't see a changes thread yet and we've got a couple of weeks to dissect...

Garlett for Spargo...the kids been good but we need some magic from Jeff and a bit more forward pressure.

Weid for Pedders...Great VFL player Pedders and would have been a handy mark kick player in the 60's and 70's but he unbalances our forward structure and offers nothing in the ruck these days.

I would bring Petty in and Goodwin may have to drop a mate in Bernie to make way...we need to develop another tall defender and the time is now.

Like Pedders I think Frost can stay back at Casey, very much a VFL level player.

Leg speed was a problem today but a big part of the problem was getting drawn to the honey...in the other recent games we have kept our composure and as follows our structure around the ball. Today was little league standard around the ball.

What has that to do with selection...well, just wanted to get it out there.

Also, although Hunt offers some leg speed his form hasn't been great so brining him in for that might be a mistake.

Your on the right track as Frost a bigger body at 194 and 95 ks can run  was  the option for Cox. Frosty would have been more than competitive. The other was lacking a midfielder  we certainly fell short today against better opposition. Tyson had 38 possys at Casey. Garlett is quick and applies  forward pressure  and lets not forget Hunt. They all have plenty to give. There isn't anything wrong with our playing group, so far they have done the job however there are times when your gut feel says it was Frosty's turn to be given that go or Garlett was ripe as speed was the need for today. It's called team balance and l felt they didn't prepare for the right personal. IMO. 

• Like 1