Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Whispering_Jack

Robert Flower - Demon Legend

Recommended Posts

was at that game ,you could get into the rooms in those days he was so thin compared to the rest of them.pretty sure that was shane fitzsimmons first game as well ,only 16 and 17 years old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, bush demon said:

Players like Flower would have been umpired out of the game in the modern era. Players are routinely impeded before and after they take possession of the ball, and ball-carriers are routinely 'tackled' by the player grasping the player's hand or falling into his back with one or both hands over the shoulder or across the face. 

he was that good he would have found a way,but you are right todays tactics are so negative there are so many champs from the past whoo made the game great to watch would not get a go today skilton,grieg,etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bush demon said:

Players like Flower would have been umpired out of the game in the modern era. Players are routinely impeded before and after they take possession of the ball, and ball-carriers are routinely 'tackled' by the player grasping the player's hand or falling into his back with one or both hands over the shoulder or across the face. 

he was that good he would have found a way,but you are right todays tactics are so negative there are so many champs from the past whoo made the game great to watch would not get a go today skilton,grieg,etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I have asked ex players from different clubs the same thing. Nobody has a clue why. Robbie always played well....

For some strange reason he only won 1 MFC best and fairest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, tilly18 said:

For some strange reason he only won 1 MFC best and fairest

Once again. Very strange yes. He was so much better than any of his team mates 95% of the time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all that have posted on this memorable occasion! 

Hnmm nearly 4 years gone !! Still think of him, he was a sensational footballer, but I have to say, a more sensational person in life you could never find!  as many have alluded to on this site. As a mate of his I posted some days later  4 years ago my thoughts . Happy to share on Demonland! again,

Rob loved days like today.

He probably would have thought it a tad hot for footy, but would have played and dominated, anyway.

His greatest pastime on days like to day would be cooking a BBQ for family and friends, playing golf, or on his boat catching a few "Flatties" and maybe the odd "Schnapper" in Port Phillip bay, or just shooting the breeze on his sundeck at Sorrento.

Rob was at his happiest when you were happy, it seemed as if by some magical formula he had the "knack" of making you feel as if you were the most important person at that moment he was speaking to you. He loved his family and he loved and valued his friends!

Charismatic people have this gift. Some use it for gain, and power, Rob used his charisma because he was genuinely interested in you and your family.

Yes Rob was a "Superstar" footballer Bernie Quinlan so rightly said yesterday.

But Above and Beyond he was a "Mega Superstar" person! Is this not a better, more substantially satisfying legacy to leave?

In private life he was a generous with his time and expertise, as he appeared in public life.

I have seen and been lucky enough to witness the way he gently and compassionately met people who at the conclusion of an interaction walked away much happier for the experience. Floating on air is as real as an experienceI have seen and been a part of, and just as euphoric! Just ask any who met him and knew him. I count myself extremely lucky and enriched by knowing him as a friend and mentor! The Euphoria stayed with you and lingered on and on.

Over the 35 odd years I have known the man, I have been extremely fortunate to have been welcomed into part of the fabric of his life.

He had many "Brothers" in arms and his own two brothers, Tom and Jim must have thought that they had won tattslotto every day of their lives having him as a brother.

I can tell you he felt the same way about them!

A more gentle, humble, empathic, generous, selfeffacing, humorous, genuine person you could not find than Rob Flower.

I was at his funeral yesterday, and I will be at his public funeral tomorrow.

Each time I look up at the sky on a clear night I will seek out the brightest star. If all stars represent great people, then Rob's star will surely be the brightest!

With more people like Rob Flower in the world, it would be a more sensational place to be!

Vale Rob Flower, a shining light in my life, never forgotten, always remembered

"No Regrets"

Thanks mate

 

  • Like 9
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how many Radio stations were allocated to the footy in those times but the one thing that reminds me of those days was, 3KZ izzzzzzz football. Thinking of ya Rob.

Edited by 4_Kent_Watts
Spelling change
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4_Kent_Watts said:

Not sure how many Radio stations were allocated to the footy in those times but the one thing that reminds me of those days was, 3KZ izzzzzzz football. Thinking of ya Rob.

And of course if you were "fortunate" enough to have your game broadcast on 3UZ you could be sure that just as Robbie was swinging it onto his boot you would cross to the fourth race at Rosehill. Mind you listening interstate on grandstand match of the day on ABC radio was little better,

Robbie bled red and blue but he probably would have been an even better player at  a stronger club. This is evidenced by his often incredible performances for the Big V in State of Origin games. We were very lucky to have had such a player.

If and when we win a flag I hope we see RDB holding up the cup in the aftermath. What sadness that Number 2 is not with us to do the same.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, picket fence said:

Thanks to all that have posted on this memorable occasion! 

He had many "Brothers" in arms and his own two brothers, Tom and Jim must have thought that they had won tattslotto every day of their lives having him as a brother.

I opened my law office in Murrumbeena Road, Murrumbeena in April 1974 and the first visitor I had on my first day was Jim Flower who was randomly collecting money from local businesses for the local football club. I gave a donation mainly because of the fact that he was Robbie’s brother but it meant that on day one, my practice was making a net loss of $5.00 (it was worth more than that in those days). The next day somebody came in who was a supporter of the club and asked me to act for him on his house purchase. It was my first new file. That’s how things worked in those days. The Flowers were a fantastic family - great people.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I opened my law office in Murrumbeena Road, Murrumbeena in April 1974 and the first visitor I had on my first day was Jim Flower who was randomly collecting money from local businesses for the local football club. I gave a donation mainly because of the fact that he was Robbie’s brother but it meant that on day one, my practice was making a net loss of $5.00 (it was worth more than that in those days). The next day somebody came in who was a supporter of the club and asked me to act for him on his house purchase. It was my first new file. That’s how things worked in those days. The Flowers were a fantastic family - great people.

Nice story. 

He was something special to all those you knew him but also for all those who knew him vicariously. 

Every time I watch the old footage, I watch with wonder and almost disbelief at his skills and unique style, never to be repeated. How did he do it? You know what I mean, the sidestep, the swivel, the timing, the grace, his stride gazelle like, his whole physical movement seemingly suspended in time.  

Like Ballet, a Rudolph Nureyev of the football world. 

 All those one-sided players should study and watch his equipoised balance, delivery of both feet and long graceful handball from either hand. 

And such a beautiful human being. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, forever demons said:

he was that good he would have found a way,but you are right todays tactics are so negative there are so many champs from the past whoo made the game great to watch would not get a go today skilton,grieg,etc

And that is IMO, what is making the talent spread so thinly, across the AFL.

 

So many who are highly skilled, talented, but those skill-sets need the space to be performed at the highest standard.   Most do not make it through to last in AFL, simply because of the lack of open space to work with.

Also why so many basketbalers are making it in AFL, at the moment.  inside players.

Edited by DV8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, tilly18 said:

For some strange reason he only won 1 MFC best and fairest

He was so consistent it was just expected of him, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 4_Kent_Watts said:

Not sure how many Radio stations were allocated to the footy in those times but the one thing that reminds me of those days was, 3KZ izzzzzzz football. Thinking of ya Rob.

Canberra TV

878 8888

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2018 at 12:57 PM, Redleg said:

Our 2 greatest players. Still sadly miss Robbie.

And quite rightly, not one poster after this post has disagreed that Barassi and Flower have been our two best ever. But who is the club's third best player? Is there an obvious choice? Maybe Norm Smith? I'm interested in people's opinions here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

And quite rightly, not one poster after this post has disagreed that Barassi and Flower have been our two best ever. But who is the club's third best player? Is there an obvious choice? Maybe Norm Smith? I'm interested in people's opinions here. 

F.Bluey. Adams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

And quite rightly, not one poster after this post has disagreed that Barassi and Flower have been our two best ever. But who is the club's third best player? Is there an obvious choice? Maybe Norm Smith? I'm interested in people's opinions here. 

Even if you are judging players from the post war years, it is very difficult to come with our third best. 

I agree with Barassi and Flower. 

However, we had so many great players during the 50s and 60s and such great teams. During this period, we always scored poorly in the Brownlow counts because we had so many great players.  The Brownlow votes (exc Don Cordner) were always split. 

There ares some names that stand out.

Fanning (he kicked 18 goals against the Saints in 1947), Mueller, Smith, Spencer, Ridley, Don and Denis Cordner, Williams, Dixon, Adams, Mann, and so on. Many who watched footy during this era think that Stuart Spencer would have become one of the legends of the game if he had not gone to Tasmania in the middle of his career when he was at his peak. Norm Smith was by all counts a remarkably gifted player and great team man. It is felt that he would have kicked many more goals from full forward if he had not been so unselfish and not acted as a decoy for others like Mueller. 

However, if you look at possession numbers, impact on the game, consistency, longevity, premierships played and won, it would be hard to go pass Bluey Adams or Brian Dixon. 

Bluey with his pace was sensational. In todays game, he would be called a line breaker.  Bluey running down the wing, bouncing the ball was a sight to behold. He was a team lifter, who could punt or drop kick a goal after a 20 to 30 metre run

Dixon was also incredible. Rain, hail or shine he was always the highest possession winner. Long arms, sticky fingers, and an ability to get the ball to foot when under pressure or in packs. Like a magician, he always came  up with the ball despite the heavy treatment he got from the opposition.  True, he was a shocking kick and could only kick left foot, but he had a huge impact on the game and the teams fortunes every week.

So in a line ball decision, I would go for Brian Dixon over Bluey Adams.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

And quite rightly, not one poster after this post has disagreed that Barassi and Flower have been our two best ever. But who is the club's third best player? Is there an obvious choice? Maybe Norm Smith? I'm interested in people's opinions here. 

Maybe Neita, who holds just about every record at the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those with a historical perspective, we do have a Demon double Brownlow medallist - the extraordinary Ivor Warne-Smith. Surely he'd have a hand on third place.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2018 at 3:31 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

I have asked ex players from different clubs the same thing. Nobody has a clue why. Robbie always played well....

Robbie was the best footballer, ever. Complete package and too subtle for the razzamataz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everlasting memories, teary eyes, beautiful  thread.  Thanks all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, hemingway said:

Even if you are judging players from the post war years, it is very difficult to come with our third best. 

I agree with Barassi and Flower. 

However, we had so many great players during the 50s and 60s and such great teams. During this period, we always scored poorly in the Brownlow counts because we had so many great players.  The Brownlow votes (exc Don Cordner) were always split. 

There ares some names that stand out.

Fanning (he kicked 18 goals against the Saints in 1947), Mueller, Smith, Spencer, Ridley, Don and Denis Cordner, Williams, Dixon, Adams, Mann, and so on. Many who watched footy during this era think that Stuart Spencer would have become one of the legends of the game if he had not gone to Tasmania in the middle of his career when he was at his peak. Norm Smith was by all counts a remarkably gifted player and great team man. It is felt that he would have kicked many more goals from full forward if he had not been so unselfish and not acted as a decoy for others like Mueller. 

However, if you look at possession numbers, impact on the game, consistency, longevity, premierships played and won, it would be hard to go pass Bluey Adams or Brian Dixon. 

Bluey with his pace was sensational. In todays game, he would be called a line breaker.  Bluey running down the wing, bouncing the ball was a sight to behold. He was a team lifter, who could punt or drop kick a goal after a 20 to 30 metre run

Dixon was also incredible. Rain, hail or shine he was always the highest possession winner. Long arms, sticky fingers, and an ability to get the ball to foot when under pressure or in packs. Like a magician, he always came  up with the ball despite the heavy treatment he got from the opposition.  True, he was a shocking kick and could only kick left foot, but he had a huge impact on the game and the teams fortunes every week.

So in a line ball decision, I would go for Brian Dixon over Bluey Adams.   

Agreed with the extraordinary talents of Adams and Dixon. Great at impacting games, turning the team's fortunes around and providing some team-wide opportunities. Reliability, plus! My more recent thoughts (for third best) roam far and wide. Neitz and the Ox come to mind but I feel that the Ox was the better of the two (severed by crippling injury, admittedly).Then I think of Greg Wells, Ross Dillon, Jakovich, Alves and so the list of 'nearly' the best actually continues ... So, I guess it is too hard to quantify and qualify with so many great players in contention after 1. Flower, 2. Barassi, 3. ? Just maybe : The Ox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian Dixon, came and said hello to my friends and i at one of the B&F a few years back, we were like kids on Christmas day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    PANTSED BY THE PIES by George on the Outer

    A 41 point loss to Collingwood, combined with yet another meagre output from the Melbourne forwards, saw the Demons pantsed by the Collingwood in the Queens Birthday match. For the nth week in a row, Melbourne failed to produce a score that would trouble most sides - it’s inaccuracy alone was again enough to seal the outcome. If that final score of 7.15 were 15.7, the game would have been very different. That sort of output was exactly a repeat of the previous week against Adelaide, when fo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TURNAROUND by KC from Casey

    It is truly amazing what a difference eight days can make in the life and times of a football club. It was a little over a week ago that the Casey Demons side were literally crushed into submission by the Werribee Tigers at Avalon Airport Oval. The losing margin in that game was not huge but the way they struggled to produce and cohesion in their play was obvious for all to see.  On Sunday at Casey Fields as part of heritage week, the team wore the Springvale FC jumper and made its own turn

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TEN YEARS AFTER by Whispering Jack

    There are many who would argue that Melbourne’s current woes go back a full decade to their Queens Birthday engagement of 2009 when the Demons selected a young VCE student Jack Watts to make his debut on the MCG in front of what was expected to be the club’s biggest crowd for a game described as the club’s “grand final in June”. That was the way of the world for the Dean Bailey coached Demons. The critics were skeptical of Melbourne’s decision to put a wet behind the ears schoolboy (albeit

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TOP END HEADING SOUTH by George on the Outer

    The Demons headed north for their annual game in Darwin, but the disappointing outcome could only mean they are heading south with the all too familiar failings happening again. A Sam Weideman mark and kick for goal with only 30 seconds remaining in the match could have won it for the Demons, but the kick slid sideways and the team went down by two points.  Sam may have been devastated, but the fact that the team could only kick 1 goal 8 behinds in the final quarter lays the blame at the fe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MAYDAY by KC from Casey

    There’s not very much that can be said of the lacklustre performance of the Casey Demons at Avalon Airfield Oval against the Werribee Tigers on Saturday other than that it was woeful. There were however, a few small rays of hope for Demon fans, the main one being the display of defender Steven May from injury and to a lesser extent, Kade Kolodjashnij’s return after two months recovering from the effects of concussion. May was in stellar form down back, taking intercept marks, disposing of t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POINT OF NO RETURN by the Oracle

    Conventional wisdom says that a club reaches the point of no return in the AFL competition if it has won less than four matches at the mid point of the season.  What this means for Melbourne is that in order for it to remain in the race for a top-eight position, it must start winning games now. Moreover, It's not enough to win the next game but it must also start stringing wins together to make up for its deficit in both wins and percentage.  With so much at stake there will be no excu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A REAL DOWNER by KC from Casey

    When Sam Weideman kicked his third goal at the midpoint of the second quarter of Casey’s game at Downer Oval , Point Gellibrand on Sunday, he put his team 26 points ahead of the goalless Seagulls. Buoyed by the return from injury of Weideman and a number of other AFL-listed Melbourne players including Jordan Lewis, Mitch Hannan, and Jay Kennedy Harris and an impressive start to Jake Lever’s second game on return from his ACL surgery, the Demons were seemingly on top of the world. Lewis and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ANOTHER GIANT PROBLEM by George on the Outer

    On top of its injury problems Melbourne ran into an “in-form” GWS Giants at the MCG in a game which, apart from a final quarter junk-time spree served to highlight the club’s current problems. There’s a virtually non-existent forward line; a plethora of VFL standard players, who might be getting plenty of game experience but most will simply not be up to AFL standard; an inability to kick straight and an ability to waste simple opportunities so that they mustered up only one goal in the fir

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GIANT HEADACHE by The Oracle

    It seems so long ago that Melbourne took an unchanged line up into a game on the MCG against the Greater Western Sydney Giants and cleaned them up to the tune of 45 points.  In truth, the event occurred literally half a season ago in the final home and away round of the 2018 season and marked the Demons’ return to the finals with more triumphs to come in the weeks ahead. Of course, back then, it was the Giants who were wracked with injuries as they stumbled into the finals series facing the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LANDSLIDE by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons enjoyed the better of their first half against Port Melbourne on Saturday but fell away badly after half time to lose by 43 points. The Borough enjoyed the early break with the game’s opening two goals but the Demons took control to go out to an 8 point lead at quarter time, an advantage that it held for most of the second term until a late goal to the visitors clawed the lead back to a point.  The Casey ruck of Braydon Preuss and Liam Wale-Buxton were on top for most

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles 1

    SHOULD HAVE ... COULD HAVE by George on the Outer

    West Coast finally put the nail in the Demons 2019 season coffin with a 16 point win, but it was a game that Melbourne should have, could have, but didn’t win. Once again woeful, truly woeful work in the forward line, both kicking for goal and the lazy, cheap efforts of some let the side down. A solitary goal in the final quarter and only 9 goals from 24+ scoring opportunities was the costly difference in the game. The selectors, once again, made a critical error in not selecting

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SCREAM by Whispering Jack

    The Norwegian Expressionist artist Edvard Munch painted a number of versions of his famous work “Scream” and, every time my mind goes back to last year’s Preliminary Final at Optus Stadium between Melbourne and the West Coast Eagles, each and every one of them reverberates through my mind as if my head is being pummeled by a sledgehammer.  When I think of that half time scoreboard from that match showing West Coast at 10.9.69 to Melbourne 0.6.6, I feel like the man standing by the railing,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...