Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 12

Demonland

FOCUS by The Oracle

There’s been a lot of talk about noise lately. 

Simon Goodwin spoke about it recently when he emphasized how important it was to ensure that his players did not permit external noise to distract them from their main focus of winning games on the march to the finals and hopefully, beyond.

But the noise never stops in the football industry. 

Collingwood President Eddie McGuire is currently making his own brand of noise by jumping in and claiming a share of the home ground advantage for the Queen’s Birthday blockbuster games which he has hitherto magnanimously granted exclusively to Melbourne (never mind that his own club has a lion's share of other fixturing advantages that other clubs don't have). 

This is simply another case of Eddie doing what he does best – making some noise to create a distraction in the lead up to the important game that will end the AFL's middle round of the season – Melbourne v Collingwood: two teams each staking a claim for a place among the competition’s top echelon.

It wouldn't be Collingwood if there wasn't noise about how well the team has been traveling lately with wins over Brisbane (7 points), St Kilda (28), Western Bulldogs (35) and Fremantle (61) in between a 21 point loss at the hands of Geelong. 

The message from their fans is loud and clear - the Pies are coming.

And the Magpie fans are also quick to jump in and tell us that it was their team that prevented the Demons from grasping the opportunity to join the competition's elite sides in the finals by beating them in the last round of 2017, a memory that sits heavily in the minds of many at Demonland.

There has also been noise from the pundits who expect Melbourne's fortunes to slide as a result of the season-ending injury sustained by Jake Lever which is no doubt a major blow but, of itself, is a long way off being fatal to the club's aspirations for the season. Let's not forget that the Bulldogs lost Robert Murphy to a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament early in 2016 which ultimately caused him to miss his club's premiership win later that year. Or that the Demons have a long list of potential replacements lining up to fill the void including a few who have been patiently knocking on the door and for who, the opportunity is about to come.

There is so much noise around that it seems to be overshadowing the fact that what we are seeing an emerging Melbourne playing a brand of football that is a point of difference to every other club in the competition - a competitive beast of a group that has overcome their early season doubts with the reintroduction of Jack Viney, Tom McDonald and Angus Brayshaw who were all missing in the opening games adding to dominance of Max Gawn, Clayton Oliver and Jesse Hogan and the eclectic mix of young and old that makes up this team. 

The simple fact of the matter is that the Demons have been steeled by the events of the recent past and no amount of noise can cause them to lose focus on what lies in front of them.

THE GAME 

Melbourne v Collingwood at the MCG Monday 11 June, 2018 at 3.20pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Melbourne 83 wins, Collingwood 147 wins, 5 drawn

At the MCG Melbourne 63 wins, Collingwood 80 wins, 3 drawn

Last Five Meetings Melbourne 4 wins, Collingwood  1 win

The Coaches Goodwin 1 win, Buckley 1 win

MEDIA

TV -  Channel 7, Fox Sports Footy Channel, live at 3.00pm

Radio -  Triple M 3AW SEN ABC ABC Grandstand

LAST TIME THEY MET

Collingwood 14.15.99 defeated Melbourne 12.11.83 at the MCG in Round 23, 2017

The Magpies had very little to gain while the Demons were playing for a finals berth but it looked the other way around as they dominated the opening term to skip away to a 32 point lead at the first break. Melbourne came back and, while they came close to bridging the gap, as it turned out they finished in arrears by two goals more than they would have wanted.

THE TEAMS  

MELBOURNE

B: Christian Salem, Oscar McDonald, Neville Jetta
HB: Angus Brayshaw, Michael Hibberd, Jordan Lewis
? Bernie Vince, Jack Viney, Nathan Jones
HF: Bayley Fritsch, Tom McDonald, Clayton Oliver
F: Charlie Spargo, Jesse Hogan, Jake Melksham
Foll: Max Gawn, James Harmes, Christian Petracca
I/C: Mitch Hannan, Alex Neal-Bullen, Cameron Pedersen, Joel Smith
Emg: Jeff Garlett, Mitch Hannan, Jayden Hunt, Harrison Petty

In: Cameron Pedersen, Joel Smith

Out: Jake Lever (knee), Tim Smith (omitted)

COLLINGWOOD

B: Brayden Maynard, Lynden Dunn, Jack Crisp
HB: Levi Greenwood, Matthew Scharenberg, Tom Langdon
C : Steele Sidebottom, Scott Pendlebury, Tom Phillips
HF: Jordan De Goey, Brody Mihocek, Will Hoskin-Elliott
F: Josh Thomas, Mason Cox, Jaidyn Stephenson
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Daniel Wells, Adam Treloar
I/C (from): Taylor Adams, Josh Daicos, Jeremy Howe, Chris Mayne
Emg: Flynn Appleby Ben Crocker, Sam Murray, Rupert Wills

In: Jeremy Howe

Out: Flynn Appleby (omitted)

A funny thing happened to the Demons on their way to Etihad Stadium last Saturday. They turned up to their game against the struggling Bulldogs holding the distinction of being the competition's highest scorer and ranked number one in the competition in centre clearances for the season but at around 20 minutes into the first quarter, it was they who were under the pump.

At that stage they were goalless, trailed by more than three goals and were being dominated at the stoppages, despite being a clear winner in the ruck duels thanks to the ever-reliable Max Gawn. Moreover, they had key defender Jake Lever off the field due to what turned out to be a season ending, knee injury and damaging playmaker Jake Melksham was hobbling around with a turned ankle. It wasn't exactly panic stations and in the event, Melbourne turned things around to record a handsome victory, but it was perhaps an early warning against complacency for a team that was in unfamiliar territory after five wins on the trot.

The early scare could not have come at a better time for the Demons coming up against the Magpies who are themselves going through a strong patch of form and demolishing all that come before them and with a dominant ruckman of their own. Indeed, the match up between the in form Max Gawn and Brodie Grundy and their respective midfields promises to be the clash of the ages and of themselves worthy of drawing an expected crowd of 80,000 plus. Imagine the likes of Nathan Jones, Jack Viney, Clayton Oliver and Angus Brayshaw pitted against Scott Pendlebury, Steele Sidebottom, Adam Treloar and Tom Phillips? No wonder that Eddie McGuire is salivating about the idea of stealing the booty from hosting such a fixture.

And that my friends is one of the main points of difference between these two rival clubs and of the attitude directed from the very top of the organisation. For the Collingwood boss, this is all about business and why not because that's what the game is first and foremost to the McGuires of this world but for this Melbourne combination nowadays, it's something more that keeps them focused.

This team of Demons spent months on end after their final game of 2013 - an unexpected loss at the hands of the Magpies that saw them tumbling out of the finals race at the last hurdle - brooding over what might have been. They have strengthened themselves all around the ground and have such a potent forward line that, as they proved last week at Etihad, even if they don't dominate in the engine room, they are still capable of racking up a winning score.

Melbourne to expertly and without making any noise put the big freeze on Collingwood on MND Day and to win by 31 points.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Nervous about this one, but more so because I hate the prospect of losing to the Filth than the fact I think we'll actually lose.

Hopefully we can get 80,000 plus to this one with both sides in great form and some great match ups, headlined by Gawn vs. Grundy, to watch.

Dees by 24 points.

I snapped the above pic in North Melbourne before the Doggies game. (Lucky Nate Jones 250th was last week). I dont recall ever seeing bill posters for this game, or perhaps its part of the Big Freeze. It sure will be packed to the rafters on Monday.

Edited by Wadda We Sing
  • Like 2

Driving down from Canberra on Saturday.  I'm already feeling a bit 'edgy', partly because of what's at stake, and partly from sheer excitement of the occasion that is QB at the 'G'.  A lot of the media talk has been about how evenly the teams are matched, but while I can see some of that, I find it difficult to see how C'wood can contain our forward set-up for four quarters.  I reckon our flexibility, running power, avenues to goal and the TMac / Hogan factor will be too much for them in the end.  I'm quietly confident that I'll have a broad smile on my face, together with a certain smugness that only comes with beating C'wood, as I head north along the Hume on Tuesday. Dees by 5 goals.

Edited by Deeoldfart
Typo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

P_20180602_122446.jpg

I'm going to act like a true Melbourne supporter here, and whinge about them having Viney on the Collingwood side of that poster..

2 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

From the MND website:

C4A07860-A62E-42DA-8B05-1BD2996C1ECC.jpeg.4138b751d975edd9051e5695aa58a1f3.jpeg

Nice work Saty, thanks to all the volunteers who assist with fundraising. Hope my beanie makes it here by Monday! 

Ethan, if you want to know what you will look like when you turn 70, this is it.

Would it be possible to open the coffee tin to get some ashes of your old man, and run them through a DNA machine?

• Like 1

Gone, even if only by a month or so, are the 'season defining' games for us but this one will be for the Filth I'm sure. 

Whilst I won't exactly have my 'Jesse Swagger' on on the way in, I'm sure I'll have it on for the journey home.

Dees by 30pts.

1 hour ago, The Chazz said:

I'm going to act like a true Melbourne supporter here, and whinge about them having Viney on the Collingwood side of that poster..

I was going to say actually, correct.......at least they got the shorts color right.

5 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Nervous about this one, but more so because I hate the prospect of losing to the Filth than the fact I think we'll actually lose.

Hopefully we can get 80,000 plus to this one with both sides in great form and some great match ups, headlined by Gawn vs. Grundy, to watch.

Dees by 24 points.

We cannot lose. We must win. If we lose, we get the gate receipts. The Filth get nuffin.

5 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

I snapped the above pic in North Melbourne before the Doggies game. (Lucky Nate Jones 250th was last week). I dont recall ever seeing bill posters for this game, or perhaps its part of the Big Freeze. It sure will be packed to the rafters on Monday.

I always see them around Essendon area. There was one for the Richmond game and one for the North Melbourne game.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Monocology said:

Gone, even if only by a month or so, are the 'season defining' games for us but this one will be for the Filth I'm sure. 

Whilst I won't exactly have my 'Jesse Swagger' on on the way in, I'm sure I'll have it on for the journey home.

Dees by 30pts.

This is Collingwood's Grand Final, after all.

• Like 4

Bernie is on SEN now. Talking about finishing off games by not cruising to the line as they have done in the past. Going for max % this year after last year.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Bernie is on SEN now. Talking about finishing off games by not cruising to the line as they have done in the past. Going for max % this year after last year.

Pity they couldn’t work that out 12 months ago.

Just read on Collingwood BF, the game on Queens Birthday is all about celebrating one of Melbourne's former great players.

Alright, i'Ve got a fairly high tolerance for reading BS, but this takes the biscuit. 

I can't go on reading Collingwood BF anymore. These fools are tragically uninformed. They really are swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool. I think most would have a good future as lab rats but that would force honest, decent rats out of the work force.

There is only so much ill informed nonsense you can read. I know. I've been reading posts on demonland for the best part of 5 years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, pineapple dee said:

Just read on Collingwood BF, the game on Queens Birthday is all about celebrating one of Melbourne's former great players.

Alright, i'Ve got a fairly high tolerance for reading BS, but this takes the biscuit. 

I can't go on reading Collingwood BF anymore. These fools are tragically uninformed. They really are swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool. I think most would have a good future as lab rats but that would force honest, decent rats out of the work force.

There is only so much ill informed nonsense you can read. I know. I've been reading posts on demonland for the best part of 5 years.

Funniest thing I have read on here, brilliant :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pineapple dee said:

BF Mods deleted my post, I don't usually get into internet fights, but a worthwhile cause this was:

"It's a day built around raising funds to fight a disease that a former melbourne COACH and Essendon player has. QB Had nothing to do with him or [any particular melbourne player] prior to his contracting the disease. How old are you? 13? What a scumbag thing to say.

And if you want to talk about free kicks, take a look at the free kick differential for 2018 as of round 9. https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-free-kick-differential-ladder-round-9-2018 You're being gifted the most free kicks. Can hear the umpires from here: "We must have a club that gets the biggest ratings and crowds in the top 8 so we meet Gilly's quota!!""

Ok, enough drama for one day.

Edited by John Demonic

12 minutes ago, brendan said:

Hannan in doubt according to 7 news, went for scans after training, might give Garlett a call up if he misses 

Well if he doesn't get the call up in favor of Bugg, his papers might be stamped like Watts? I'd hope he at least has one more stint if that was the case. I'm not sure if i'm overreacting here, but it wouldn't surprise.

Edited by John Demonic

I think Jeffy will come in if Hannan doesn't play.

Im expecting the players to be unrelenting given the misery this mob caused us 10 months ago. 

• Like 2

I hate the filth ...

A 'friend' (filth supporter) put a taunting post on her FB page after Round 23 ... Hopefully the smile is wiped off her face on Monday night. 

Edited by bingers