Jump to content

Demonland

WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - ED LANGDON

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Give it some time but I think the Langdon trade will look like a steal. I get a feeling with these things....deep....in my plumbs.

I fought you was a copper, not a plum ber?

  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, P-man said:

Yeah sure. I just don’t consider joe the goose goals as “highlights”. It seems like these highlights packages are basically every goal a player has ever kicked and the odd mark and tackle thrown in for good measure.

It’s probably hard to compile those highlights to begin with without watching through every single game he’s played. Guessing that the goals feature a lot just because they’re easier to come by.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

The Langdon and Frost trades should be viewed independently and the only real link was our salary cap. We already had picks, so we could have easily used them to get Langdon. And we hardly got that much for Frost anyway (sum of value worth roughly #50). 
 

From a salary cap perspective, Spargo, Oscar McDonald, Preuss and Baker are all examples of our poor list mismanagement, as they are over paid/won’t make it. So I would have pushed one of them out.

Anyway, getting Langdon is by far the highlight of our trade period. 

Erm. Without Preuss we have no back up to Gawn. He will likely be valuable draft capital end of 2020 or 2021. 

Baker has elite speed, nice sidestep and uses the ball better than some of his more senior colleagues. He has a chance to make it.

Spargo was impressive in 2018. Had a down 2019. Pretty early to right off.

Oscar played a role in 2018. Like Spargo had a down 2019. He is not a first choice key defender. May, Lever, Petty ahead. How many clubs have quality backup key defenders? He is a roleplayer. How do you know he is payed more than role player?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super happy about this one.

Trading our second rounder always delivers top value.

I can’t wait to see him with ball in hand running down the wing at the G sussing out forward options (with a fit and in form T Mac, Weid, Melksham, Petracca, Hannan and [insert forward gut busting running mid] demanding the ball).

We could turn this ship around faster than everyone thinks.

 

  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Super happy about this one.

Trading our second rounder always delivers top value.

I can’t wait to see him with ball in hand running down the wing at the G sussing out forward options (with a fit and in form T Mac, Weid, Melksham, Petracca, Hannan and [insert forward gut busting running mid] demanding the ball).

We could turn this ship around faster than everyone thinks.

 

Have a healthy, solid pre season and get our systems right and we absolutely can.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Super happy about this one.

Trading our second rounder always delivers top value.

I can’t wait to see him with ball in hand running down the wing at the G sussing out forward options (with a fit and in form T Mac, Weid, Melksham, Petracca, Hannan and [insert forward gut busting running mid] demanding the ball).

We could turn this ship around faster than everyone thinks.

 

Good call

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, rjay said:

What else could they give us?

 

On 10/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, Redleg said:

A cheese platter.

 

On 10/10/2019 at 8:51 PM, Unleash Hell said:

We already have plenty of those. 

 

But only in the MCC section, surely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really reckon we can AF.

The playing (and possibly coaching) group now has some unwanted life experience. I suspect they were complacent at the end of last year (in addition to all of the other factors that stuffed our season which are well known), and I hope this complacency has been knocked out of them owing to the horrendous howler that was 2019. Nothing is to be taken for granted now.

And I forgot to mention Fritsch in our forward line - he’s a gun. We just need to add the forward 50 delivery, which was sadly lacking this year. I hope recruiting Langdon and Tomlinson will address this.

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

The bit of play I really liked from the short highlights clip was the second one, where he hit a target off half back and then kept running further down the ground to receive the ball again.  We simply don't have someone like that in the side and he will love doing that all day at the 'G.

Great get for the club.

@Supermercado will be muy sad to decamp from Fortress Docklands

 

but Sunny days lie o’er yonder whereby he of the endless output Sir Edward Wingslayer Of Langdonshire , First of his Name, endlessly toils to and fro dispatching enemies of odious aspect unto the fiery pits of thy baleful hell

 

mark that down , Edward Wingslayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Nasher said:

It’s probably hard to compile those highlights to begin with without watching through every single game he’s played. Guessing that the goals feature a lot just because they’re easier to come by.

For sure. But if you’re gonna do it, at least go through some of his high possession games. Hell. Ask a Freo fan which were his best games/moments.

Anyway, minor gripe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

It’s probably hard to compile those highlights to begin with without watching through every single game he’s played. Guessing that the goals feature a lot just because they’re easier to come by.

I find this hard to believe. Surely the GPS and player highlights for most key players would be readily available through your own stats and opposition analysis team and champion data etc.

When analyzing opposition teams they wouldn't prep this stuff weekly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

We could turn this ship around faster than everyone thinks.

Langdon will help. The other thing that will help is not having an average of 14 players on the injury list every week.

Edited by mauriesy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this thread. Even if we're all completely wrong about Langdon, at least for the first time in 6 months there's some positivity back around us. I'm really looking forward to seeing him line up for us.

6 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Or maybe you could be happy to pick up Langdon but would have preferred to sacrifice someone other than Frost. 

2 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

The Langdon and Frost trades should be viewed independently and the only real link was our salary cap. We already had picks, so we could have easily used them to get Langdon. And we hardly got that much for Frost anyway (sum of value worth roughly #50). 
 

From a salary cap perspective, Spargo, Oscar McDonald, Preuss and Baker are all examples of our poor list mismanagement, as they are over paid/won’t make it. So I would have pushed one of them out.

Anyway, getting Langdon is by far the highlight of our trade period. 

Why should they be viewed independently? Just so you can isolate the Frost trade and whinge about it?

It is completely feasible, even probable, that we did the Frost deal knowing what we were going to do with the Langdon deal.

People get too caught up on draft picks sometimes. Ultimately we will look at this trade/draft period at the end and look at who went off the list and who came onto it, and we'll see in time whether the added players have improved us. 

Your list of other options to trade out is classic Demonland silly season thinking. Frost had value this year. We have the ability to cover for him (whether you like May/Lever or not). None of the players you've listed have anywhere near the value that Frost has. And none of the players you've mentioned were out of contract and asking for a big pay/year rise.

Frost was entitled to want more money/years in his next contract, but I completely understand (and agree with) the club's decision to hold back on giving him that rise and to instead "cash in" on his 2019.

IMO, even to those who think we've lost value in Frost, I think the gain we get from Langdon should outweigh the loss to Frost. We need more run/carry on the wing than we do Frost's daring runs out of the backline. We will be a better side long-term with May and Lever playing FB/CHB reliably and Langdon on the wing.

  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I like this thread. Even if we're all completely wrong about Langdon, at least for the first time in 6 months there's some positivity back around us. I'm really looking forward to seeing him line up for us.

Why should they be viewed independently? Just so you can isolate the Frost trade and whinge about it?

It is completely feasible, even probable, that we did the Frost deal knowing what we were going to do with the Langdon deal.

People get too caught up on draft picks sometimes. Ultimately we will look at this trade/draft period at the end and look at who went off the list and who came onto it, and we'll see in time whether the added players have improved us. 

Your list of other options to trade out is classic Demonland silly season thinking. Frost had value this year. We have the ability to cover for him (whether you like May/Lever or not). None of the players you've listed have anywhere near the value that Frost has. And none of the players you've mentioned were out of contract and asking for a big pay/year rise.

Frost was entitled to want more money/years in his next contract, but I completely understand (and agree with) the club's decision to hold back on giving him that rise and to instead "cash in" on his 2019.

IMO, even to those who think we've lost value in Frost, I think the gain we get from Langdon should outweigh the loss to Frost. We need more run/carry on the wing than we do Frost's daring runs out of the backline. We will be a better side long-term with May and Lever playing FB/CHB reliably and Langdon on the wing.

Great post. Spot on mate. I'm not a big fan of Langdon's disposal, but his outside gut running to position will fit in perfectly to our 2018 game style.

Here's hoping for a positive and uninterrupted pre season for our whole list.

Edited by A F
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Yung Blood said:

I'd be interested to know Freo supporters thoughts on Ed.

Clearly his career trajectory is pretty impressive for his age. Has genuine speed and endurance, numbers are good as a wing with marks and inside 50's. Certainly accumulates a lot of the ball. His ability to run and spread is what we're desperate for.

I know his disposal is still the biggest question mark. He has a similar kicking style to Hunt and  Frost which lacks a controlled ball drop.

He was obviously a steal at pick 54 in 2014 due to not playing much footy with injuries. Freo would be gutted to lose him.

From my brother a Dockers member and another mate also a member both virtually said the same thing

Kicking is not great, but has improved the last couple of years with him getting fitter and less fatigued

His gut running is going to be hard to replace(especially with Hill also going) he just brings others into the game with the options and space he creates.

A steal for a player they both see as still on the up

  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

From my brother a Dockers member and another mate also a member both virtually said the same thing

Kicking is not great, but has improved the last couple of years with him getting fitter and less fatigued

His gut running is going to be hard to replace(especially with Hill also going) he just brings others into the game with the options and space he creates.

A steal for a player they both see as still on the up

The guy he actually reminds me of on our list already is Harmes. At least from a career trajectory up to the end of 2018, albeit he's been more consistent for longer than James. 

Harmes used to be an absolute butcher because he'd run all day and by the time he got it, he'd be so fatigued that he'd turn it over. It's a great point in that with more pre seasons under the belt, gut runners like that can improve their skill by foot.

If the likes of Harmes, Tom McDonald, ANB, Tomlinson and Langdon all get a decent pre season in, we'll have quite a few gut runners there, which will certainly help us win a few more games on the G and counter the spread of teams like Collingwood and Richmond, who have consistently murdered us on the outside for 3+ years now.

Edited by A F
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A F said:

The guy he actually reminds me of on our list already is Harmes. At least from a career trajectory up to the end of 2018, albeit he's been more consistent for longer than James. 

Harmes used to be an absolute butcher because he'd run all day and by the time he got it, he'd be so fatigued that he'd turn it over. It's a great point in that with more pre seasons under the belt, gut runners like that can improve their skill by foot.

If the likes of Harmes, Tom McDonald, ANB, Tomlinson and Langdon all get a decent pre season in, we'll have quite a few gut runners there, which will certainly help us win a few more games on the G and counter the spread of teams like Collingwood and Richmond, who have consistently murdered us on the outside for 3+ years now.

Good summation mate, it takes time. Core group of 80-130 games + and 25-29 yrs average over a sustained period.

Harmes and Clarrie are our 2 best mids and Gus needs to get back into that echelon. Viney will always be a competitive beast. Tmac when fit will be good at creating space for Weod once he starts to believe.

ANB is an interesting one, several times I'd have traded and delisted him, he has frustrated the hell out of me for the last couple of years but you never now 3 to 4 solid seasons of a good number of games under his belt and a good pre season it becomes in grained, I belong, composure, strong tank and ability to gut run continuously. You get less fatigued and the basics become that consistently with disposal and decision making

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Good summation mate, it takes time. Core group of 80-130 games + and 25-29 yrs average over a sustained period.

Harmes and Clarrie are our 2 best mids and Gus needs to get back into that echelon. Viney will always be a competitive beast. Tmac when fit will be good at creating space for Weod once he starts to believe.

ANB is an interesting one, several times I'd have traded and delisted him, he has frustrated the hell out of me for the last couple of years but you never now 3 to 4 solid seasons of a good number of games under his belt and a good pre season it becomes in grained, I belong, composure, strong tank and ability to gut run continuously. You get less fatigued and the basics become that consistently with disposal and decision making

Absolutely on the core group and games player. We're probably at least another season off that, but unless we make dramatic improvement next year, my feeling is Goodwin will be gone and we may find ourselves back at the drawing board with some of that core requesting trades outta there (ala Adelaide - doomsday).

I think we can win 12 games in 2020. If we're around about the mark come September and our game style of crash and bash chaos stands up, we could go deep again with this team.

I'm completely with you on ANB with the traded/delisted multiple times. I was surprised he got another contract this year, but I'll be fascinated to see how Burgess goes with these guys. It starts with trust in the body first, then trust in the game plan, then trust in one's ability to elevate above it all and really take that next step. When we've played really good footy in the last 3 years, ANB has been a progressively stronger part of that, but only when he's gut-running into space or tackling hard off the back of the square.

I hope Goodwin has a few new tricks up his sleeve, but still keeps the game plan simple. There has been such a dearth of on field leadership that the simpler, the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be nice to see someone running the MCG Wings again. 

Stephen Stretch style....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, A F said:

Absolutely on the core group and games player. We're probably at least another season off that, but unless we make dramatic improvement next year, my feeling is Goodwin will be gone and we may find ourselves back at the drawing board with some of that core requesting trades outta there (ala Adelaide - doomsday).

I think we can win 12 games in 2020. If we're around about the mark come September and our game style of crash and bash chaos stands up, we could go deep again with this team.

I'm completely with you on ANB with the traded/delisted multiple times. I was surprised he got another contract this year, but I'll be fascinated to see how Burgess goes with these guys. It starts with trust in the body first, then trust in the game plan, then trust in one's ability to elevate above it all and really take that next step. When we've played really good footy in the last 3 years, ANB has been a progressively stronger part of that, but only when he's gut-running into space or tackling hard off the back of the square.

I hope Goodwin has a few new tricks up his sleeve, but still keeps the game plan simple. There has been such a dearth of on field leadership that the simpler, the better.

If May, Lever, Hibberd, Jetta all have good pre seasons and stay fit it will go a long way to setting us up.

Mids keep it simple and the outside run and spread should make us a better side.

4 of Tmac, Melk, Hannan, AVB, Weid, Fritsch playing regularly, fit and consistently we'll be fine.

Others will float in and out to play roles. Not saying we'll be guaranteed top 4 or flag contenders, but if all the above occurs and we're a 6th to 10th side  with just a momentum and confidence needed

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Demonland said:

A whole lot of extra highlights of Langdon not in the Demons video. 

 

Yeeeaah boi, that’s some good stuff right there. A very tidy left-foot snap when required too. Love it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

If May, Lever, Hibberd, Jetta all have good pre seasons and stay fit it will go a long way to setting us up.

Mids keep it simple and the outside run and spread should make us a better side.

4 of Tmac, Melk, Hannan, AVB, Weid, Fritsch playing regularly, fit and consistently we'll be fine.

Others will float in and out to play roles. Not saying we'll be guaranteed top 4 or flag contenders, but if all the above occurs and we're a 6th to 10th side  with just a momentum and confidence needed

Completely agree. I'd love top 4 but it's less realistic. Come on Burgess. 🤞 No pressure. 🤣

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Yeeeaah boi, that’s some good stuff right there. A very tidy left-foot snap when required too. Love it. 

My fav was a kick from inside the defensive 50 to the wing and then 40 seconds later marking a chip kick inside the offensive 50. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dieter said:

I fought you was a copper, not a plum ber?

They have their similarities, they both sometimes deal with pieces of turds. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Real good get I reckon. 

Big question however is..... Has he shed the Man bun ??

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...