Demonland

WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - ED LANGDON

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Give it some time but I think the Langdon trade will look like a steal. I get a feeling with these things....deep....in my plumbs.

I fought you was a copper, not a plum ber?

• Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, P-man said:

Yeah sure. I just don’t consider joe the goose goals as “highlights”. It seems like these highlights packages are basically every goal a player has ever kicked and the odd mark and tackle thrown in for good measure.

It’s probably hard to compile those highlights to begin with without watching through every single game he’s played. Guessing that the goals feature a lot just because they’re easier to come by.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

The Langdon and Frost trades should be viewed independently and the only real link was our salary cap. We already had picks, so we could have easily used them to get Langdon. And we hardly got that much for Frost anyway (sum of value worth roughly #50). 

From a salary cap perspective, Spargo, Oscar McDonald, Preuss and Baker are all examples of our poor list mismanagement, as they are over paid/won’t make it. So I would have pushed one of them out.

Anyway, getting Langdon is by far the highlight of our trade period. 

Erm. Without Preuss we have no back up to Gawn. He will likely be valuable draft capital end of 2020 or 2021. 

Baker has elite speed, nice sidestep and uses the ball better than some of his more senior colleagues. He has a chance to make it.

Spargo was impressive in 2018. Had a down 2019. Pretty early to right off.

Oscar played a role in 2018. Like Spargo had a down 2019. He is not a first choice key defender. May, Lever, Petty ahead. How many clubs have quality backup key defenders? He is a roleplayer. How do you know he is payed more than role player?

• Like 1

Super happy about this one.

Trading our second rounder always delivers top value.

I can’t wait to see him with ball in hand running down the wing at the G sussing out forward options (with a fit and in form T Mac, Weid, Melksham, Petracca, Hannan and [insert forward gut busting running mid] demanding the ball).

We could turn this ship around faster than everyone thinks.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I can’t wait to see him with ball in hand running down the wing at the G sussing out forward options (with a fit and in form T Mac, Weid, Melksham, Petracca, Hannan and [insert forward gut busting running mid] demanding the ball).

Have a healthy, solid pre season and get our systems right and we absolutely can.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Good call

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, rjay said:

What else could they give us?

On 10/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, Redleg said:

A cheese platter.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:51 PM, Unleash Hell said:

We already have plenty of those. 

But only in the MCC section, surely.

I really reckon we can AF.

The playing (and possibly coaching) group now has some unwanted life experience. I suspect they were complacent at the end of last year (in addition to all of the other factors that stuffed our season which are well known), and I hope this complacency has been knocked out of them owing to the horrendous howler that was 2019. Nothing is to be taken for granted now.

And I forgot to mention Fritsch in our forward line - he’s a gun. We just need to add the forward 50 delivery, which was sadly lacking this year. I hope recruiting Langdon and Tomlinson will address this.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

The bit of play I really liked from the short highlights clip was the second one, where he hit a target off half back and then kept running further down the ground to receive the ball again.  We simply don't have someone like that in the side and he will love doing that all day at the 'G.

Great get for the club.

@Supermercado will be muy sad to decamp from Fortress Docklands

but Sunny days lie o’er yonder whereby he of the endless output Sir Edward Wingslayer Of Langdonshire , First of his Name, endlessly toils to and fro dispatching enemies of odious aspect unto the fiery pits of thy baleful hell

mark that down , Edward Wingslayer

41 minutes ago, Nasher said:

It’s probably hard to compile those highlights to begin with without watching through every single game he’s played. Guessing that the goals feature a lot just because they’re easier to come by.

For sure. But if you’re gonna do it, at least go through some of his high possession games. Hell. Ask a Freo fan which were his best games/moments.

Anyway, minor gripe.

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

I find this hard to believe. Surely the GPS and player highlights for most key players would be readily available through your own stats and opposition analysis team and champion data etc.

When analyzing opposition teams they wouldn't prep this stuff weekly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Langdon will help. The other thing that will help is not having an average of 14 players on the injury list every week.

Edited by mauriesy
  • Like 3

I like this thread. Even if we're all completely wrong about Langdon, at least for the first time in 6 months there's some positivity back around us. I'm really looking forward to seeing him line up for us.

6 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Or maybe you could be happy to pick up Langdon but would have preferred to sacrifice someone other than Frost. 

2 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

The Langdon and Frost trades should be viewed independently and the only real link was our salary cap. We already had picks, so we could have easily used them to get Langdon. And we hardly got that much for Frost anyway (sum of value worth roughly #50). 

From a salary cap perspective, Spargo, Oscar McDonald, Preuss and Baker are all examples of our poor list mismanagement, as they are over paid/won’t make it. So I would have pushed one of them out.

Anyway, getting Langdon is by far the highlight of our trade period. 

Why should they be viewed independently? Just so you can isolate the Frost trade and whinge about it?

It is completely feasible, even probable, that we did the Frost deal knowing what we were going to do with the Langdon deal.

People get too caught up on draft picks sometimes. Ultimately we will look at this trade/draft period at the end and look at who went off the list and who came onto it, and we'll see in time whether the added players have improved us. 

Your list of other options to trade out is classic Demonland silly season thinking. Frost had value this year. We have the ability to cover for him (whether you like May/Lever or not). None of the players you've listed have anywhere near the value that Frost has. And none of the players you've mentioned were out of contract and asking for a big pay/year rise.

Frost was entitled to want more money/years in his next contract, but I completely understand (and agree with) the club's decision to hold back on giving him that rise and to instead "cash in" on his 2019.

IMO, even to those who think we've lost value in Frost, I think the gain we get from Langdon should outweigh the loss to Frost. We need more run/carry on the wing than we do Frost's daring runs out of the backline. We will be a better side long-term with May and Lever playing FB/CHB reliably and Langdon on the wing.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I like this thread. Even if we're all completely wrong about Langdon, at least for the first time in 6 months there's some positivity back around us. I'm really looking forward to seeing him line up for us.

Why should they be viewed independently? Just so you can isolate the Frost trade and whinge about it?

It is completely feasible, even probable, that we did the Frost deal knowing what we were going to do with the Langdon deal.

People get too caught up on draft picks sometimes. Ultimately we will look at this trade/draft period at the end and look at who went off the list and who came onto it, and we'll see in time whether the added players have improved us. 

Your list of other options to trade out is classic Demonland silly season thinking. Frost had value this year. We have the ability to cover for him (whether you like May/Lever or not). None of the players you've listed have anywhere near the value that Frost has. And none of the players you've mentioned were out of contract and asking for a big pay/year rise.

Frost was entitled to want more money/years in his next contract, but I completely understand (and agree with) the club's decision to hold back on giving him that rise and to instead "cash in" on his 2019.

IMO, even to those who think we've lost value in Frost, I think the gain we get from Langdon should outweigh the loss to Frost. We need more run/carry on the wing than we do Frost's daring runs out of the backline. We will be a better side long-term with May and Lever playing FB/CHB reliably and Langdon on the wing.

Great post. Spot on mate. I'm not a big fan of Langdon's disposal, but his outside gut running to position will fit in perfectly to our 2018 game style.

Here's hoping for a positive and uninterrupted pre season for our whole list.

Edited by A F
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Yung Blood said:

I'd be interested to know Freo supporters thoughts on Ed.

Clearly his career trajectory is pretty impressive for his age. Has genuine speed and endurance, numbers are good as a wing with marks and inside 50's. Certainly accumulates a lot of the ball. His ability to run and spread is what we're desperate for.

I know his disposal is still the biggest question mark. He has a similar kicking style to Hunt and  Frost which lacks a controlled ball drop.

He was obviously a steal at pick 54 in 2014 due to not playing much footy with injuries. Freo would be gutted to lose him.

From my brother a Dockers member and another mate also a member both virtually said the same thing

Kicking is not great, but has improved the last couple of years with him getting fitter and less fatigued

His gut running is going to be hard to replace(especially with Hill also going) he just brings others into the game with the options and space he creates.

A steal for a player they both see as still on the up

• Like 6
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

From my brother a Dockers member and another mate also a member both virtually said the same thing

Kicking is not great, but has improved the last couple of years with him getting fitter and less fatigued

His gut running is going to be hard to replace(especially with Hill also going) he just brings others into the game with the options and space he creates.

A steal for a player they both see as still on the up

The guy he actually reminds me of on our list already is Harmes. At least from a career trajectory up to the end of 2018, albeit he's been more consistent for longer than James. 

Harmes used to be an absolute butcher because he'd run all day and by the time he got it, he'd be so fatigued that he'd turn it over. It's a great point in that with more pre seasons under the belt, gut runners like that can improve their skill by foot.

If the likes of Harmes, Tom McDonald, ANB, Tomlinson and Langdon all get a decent pre season in, we'll have quite a few gut runners there, which will certainly help us win a few more games on the G and counter the spread of teams like Collingwood and Richmond, who have consistently murdered us on the outside for 3+ years now.

Edited by A F
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, A F said:

The guy he actually reminds me of on our list already is Harmes. At least from a career trajectory up to the end of 2018, albeit he's been more consistent for longer than James. 

Harmes used to be an absolute butcher because he'd run all day and by the time he got it, he'd be so fatigued that he'd turn it over. It's a great point in that with more pre seasons under the belt, gut runners like that can improve their skill by foot.

If the likes of Harmes, Tom McDonald, ANB, Tomlinson and Langdon all get a decent pre season in, we'll have quite a few gut runners there, which will certainly help us win a few more games on the G and counter the spread of teams like Collingwood and Richmond, who have consistently murdered us on the outside for 3+ years now.

Good summation mate, it takes time. Core group of 80-130 games + and 25-29 yrs average over a sustained period.

Harmes and Clarrie are our 2 best mids and Gus needs to get back into that echelon. Viney will always be a competitive beast. Tmac when fit will be good at creating space for Weod once he starts to believe.

ANB is an interesting one, several times I'd have traded and delisted him, he has frustrated the hell out of me for the last couple of years but you never now 3 to 4 solid seasons of a good number of games under his belt and a good pre season it becomes in grained, I belong, composure, strong tank and ability to gut run continuously. You get less fatigued and the basics become that consistently with disposal and decision making

• Like 4
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Good summation mate, it takes time. Core group of 80-130 games + and 25-29 yrs average over a sustained period.

Harmes and Clarrie are our 2 best mids and Gus needs to get back into that echelon. Viney will always be a competitive beast. Tmac when fit will be good at creating space for Weod once he starts to believe.

ANB is an interesting one, several times I'd have traded and delisted him, he has frustrated the hell out of me for the last couple of years but you never now 3 to 4 solid seasons of a good number of games under his belt and a good pre season it becomes in grained, I belong, composure, strong tank and ability to gut run continuously. You get less fatigued and the basics become that consistently with disposal and decision making

Absolutely on the core group and games player. We're probably at least another season off that, but unless we make dramatic improvement next year, my feeling is Goodwin will be gone and we may find ourselves back at the drawing board with some of that core requesting trades outta there (ala Adelaide - doomsday).

I think we can win 12 games in 2020. If we're around about the mark come September and our game style of crash and bash chaos stands up, we could go deep again with this team.

I'm completely with you on ANB with the traded/delisted multiple times. I was surprised he got another contract this year, but I'll be fascinated to see how Burgess goes with these guys. It starts with trust in the body first, then trust in the game plan, then trust in one's ability to elevate above it all and really take that next step. When we've played really good footy in the last 3 years, ANB has been a progressively stronger part of that, but only when he's gut-running into space or tackling hard off the back of the square.

I hope Goodwin has a few new tricks up his sleeve, but still keeps the game plan simple. There has been such a dearth of on field leadership that the simpler, the better.

Will be nice to see someone running the MCG Wings again. 

Stephen Stretch style....

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, A F said:

Absolutely on the core group and games player. We're probably at least another season off that, but unless we make dramatic improvement next year, my feeling is Goodwin will be gone and we may find ourselves back at the drawing board with some of that core requesting trades outta there (ala Adelaide - doomsday).

I think we can win 12 games in 2020. If we're around about the mark come September and our game style of crash and bash chaos stands up, we could go deep again with this team.

I'm completely with you on ANB with the traded/delisted multiple times. I was surprised he got another contract this year, but I'll be fascinated to see how Burgess goes with these guys. It starts with trust in the body first, then trust in the game plan, then trust in one's ability to elevate above it all and really take that next step. When we've played really good footy in the last 3 years, ANB has been a progressively stronger part of that, but only when he's gut-running into space or tackling hard off the back of the square.

I hope Goodwin has a few new tricks up his sleeve, but still keeps the game plan simple. There has been such a dearth of on field leadership that the simpler, the better.

If May, Lever, Hibberd, Jetta all have good pre seasons and stay fit it will go a long way to setting us up.

Mids keep it simple and the outside run and spread should make us a better side.

4 of Tmac, Melk, Hannan, AVB, Weid, Fritsch playing regularly, fit and consistently we'll be fine.

Others will float in and out to play roles. Not saying we'll be guaranteed top 4 or flag contenders, but if all the above occurs and we're a 6th to 10th side  with just a momentum and confidence needed

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Demonland said:

A whole lot of extra highlights of Langdon not in the Demons video. 

Yeeeaah boi, that’s some good stuff right there. A very tidy left-foot snap when required too. Love it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

If May, Lever, Hibberd, Jetta all have good pre seasons and stay fit it will go a long way to setting us up.

Mids keep it simple and the outside run and spread should make us a better side.

4 of Tmac, Melk, Hannan, AVB, Weid, Fritsch playing regularly, fit and consistently we'll be fine.

Others will float in and out to play roles. Not saying we'll be guaranteed top 4 or flag contenders, but if all the above occurs and we're a 6th to 10th side  with just a momentum and confidence needed

Completely agree. I'd love top 4 but it's less realistic. Come on Burgess. 🤞 No pressure. 🤣

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Yeeeaah boi, that’s some good stuff right there. A very tidy left-foot snap when required too. Love it. 

My fav was a kick from inside the defensive 50 to the wing and then 40 seconds later marking a chip kick inside the offensive 50. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dieter said:

I fought you was a copper, not a plum ber?

They have their similarities, they both sometimes deal with pieces of turds. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Real good get I reckon. 

Big question however is..... Has he shed the Man bun ??

• Haha 1