Jump to content

Dr.D

Jason Taylor Resume

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, A F said:

If the system and coaching isn't up to scratch though, as soon as you lose your better players, you struggle.

I'd be examining the medical and the coaching team for our performance this year. I agree that all areas of the club should be up for review, but I reckon Taylor has nailed enough picks to say he's done a good job.

I would have thought it should be standard practice to do this every year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2019 at 8:02 AM, Dee Zephyr said:

Apologies, not sure where to post this. I was reading an article on AFL.com about ‘Your Club’s Burning Questions’ for next season and it states we should not overreact after expecting to contend this season. One of the questions being should we give up our first round pick. 

The writer believes we should be open to giving away our first round pick depending what’s on offer. I thought we had to use our first round pick since we haven’t used one since 2015.

We have to use first round pick this year.

That’s not to say we can’t trade our early 1st round pick for a need plus a much later one, although I doubt we’d get a good enough return to justify it. 

We could revisit the Oliver-Weideman strategy however. Which teams have an upcoming academy/FS selection prospect this year?

Edited by Mach5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Jason may have got another one in the mid season draft.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Redleg said:

Looks like Jason may have got another one in the mid season draft.

I didn't see the game but geez you are going early.

2 points in relation to this, only 2 other teams had the opportunity to get him so I wouldn't be so quick to be pumping up Taylor's tyres and it appears Dunkley has shown more so far in the VFL than our other u18's drafted from last season. This raises many questions for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dunkley was injured the majority of his u/18 year, last year, wasn't he?

he looks a smooth mover in traffic, knows his way around goal, and loves a tackle - basically, very similar to his brother

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

I didn't see the game but geez you are going early.

2 points in relation to this, only 2 other teams had the opportunity to get him so I wouldn't be so quick to be pumping up Taylor's tyres and it appears Dunkley has shown more so far in the VFL than our other u18's drafted from last season. This raises many questions for me.

Not really.

I said "may" and didn't say star, but obviously mean another player. 

The fact that only 2 had picks before us doesn't mean much, as in fact they both could have taken him but didn't and of course their picks may end up better.

 Swallow has gone for surgery, Jordon is going ok for someone with so little footy experience, Chandler is also going ok and Neita is injured. Bedford has shown a bit also, albeit with low possies. However they are still a work in progress, as is Kyle Dunkley.

Recently Taylor picked up Lockhart and Corey Wagner with low picks and they have played senior footy this year.

Petty and Baker are also going along nicely at low picks.

So with lesser picks because of trading, he is still finding footballers.

Edited by Redleg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mach5 said:

We have to use first round pick this year.

That’s not to say we can’t trade our early 1st round pick for a need plus a much later one, although I doubt we’d get a good enough return to justify it. 

We could revisit the Oliver-Weideman strategy however. Which teams have an upcoming academy/FS selection prospect this year?

We can still use our future first rounder (2020 R1) if we want to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Not really.

I said "may" and didn't say star, but obviously mean another player. 

The fact that only 2 had picks before us doesn't mean much, as in fact they both could have taken him but didn't and of course their picks may end up better.

 Swallow has gone for surgery, Jordon is going ok for someone with so little footy experience, Chandler is also going ok and Neita is injured. Bedford has shown a bit also, albeit with low possies. However they are still a work in progress, as is Kyle Dunkley.

Recently Taylor picked up Lockhart and Corey Wagner with low picks and they have played senior footy this year.

Petty and Baker are also going along nicely at low picks.

So with lesser picks because of trading, he is still finding footballers.

I'm with you Red. He looks to have good potential.

I was under the impression that every club could have picked him and passed in 2018. So he's kinda like a 2018 pick 137 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Not really.

I said "may" and didn't say star, but obviously mean another player. 

The fact that only 2 had picks before us doesn't mean much, as in fact they both could have taken him but didn't and of course their picks may end up better.

 Swallow has gone for surgery, Jordon is going ok for someone with so little footy experience, Chandler is also going ok and Neita is injured. Bedford has shown a bit also, albeit with low possies. However they are still a work in progress, as is Kyle Dunkley.

Recently Taylor picked up Lockhart and Corey Wagner with low picks and they have played senior footy this year.

Petty and Baker are also going along nicely at low picks.

So with lesser picks because of trading, he is still finding footballers.

We don’t know if he’s finding any senior AFL footballers from that lot yet. Baker and Lockhart have shown a glimpse but jury hasn’t even been selected yet let alone convened. 

You would hope at least four from that group really come on. Taylor would want to hope so. Needs to produce more quality from our later picks if he’s going to be there for another five years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Matsuo Basho said:

You would hope at least four from that group really come on. Taylor would want to hope so. Needs to produce more quality from our later picks if he’s going to be there for another five years. 

Lower draft picks generally take more time to develop, if they are going to develop. Therefore I agree that the jury is still out on some of more recent picks. 

However, we have an excellent record IMO in later draft picks. Not sure how many of these are due to Taylor, but I would have thought that Harmes (2014 rookie), Hannan (pick 46 2016), Hunt (57 2013), Joel Smith (rookie 2016), AVB (rookie 2015), Fritsch (31 2017), Gawn (34 2009), TMac (53, 2010) and Frost (83 2012) are some examples of good selections. Of course there are many that haven’t made it, but that is football. Hore (56 2018) has already shown he will make it. 

Your comment that “Taylor needs to produce more quality from our later draft picks if he is going to be there for another 5 years” is at very best, uninformed.

Firstly, lower draft picks are picked on potential - or they would be high draft picks. It’s then up to the player himself and the FD to develop that potential - not Taylor. The examples above show that he has a great eye for potential, particularly the 3 rookie picks.

Secondly, most later draft picks take a few years to develop therefore Taylor already has the runs on the board to be there for “ the next 5 years”. By your own admission, he cannot and should not yet be judged on later draft picks of the last year or two - although players like Baker (48 2017), Dunkley (mid season draft 2019), and Lockhart (2019 supplementary selection) would appear to me as though Taylor still has what it takes.

Just for once MB, I’m sure we would all like to see you come up with something constructive on this site. 

Edited by Neil Crompton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Matsuo Basho said:

We don’t know if he’s finding any senior AFL footballers from that lot yet. Baker and Lockhart have shown a glimpse but jury hasn’t even been selected yet let alone convened. 

You would hope at least four from that group really come on. Taylor would want to hope so. Needs to produce more quality from our later picks if he’s going to be there for another five years. 

Yeah we could always make a play for SOS at Carlton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

Lower draft picks generally take more time to develop, if they are going to develop. Therefore I agree that the jury is still out on some of more recent picks. 

However, we have an excellent record IMO in later draft picks. Not sure how many of these are due to Taylor, but I would have thought that Harmes (2014 rookie), Hannan (pick 46 2016), Hunt (57 2013), Joel Smith (rookie 2016), AVB (rookie 2015), Fritsch (31 2017), Gawn (34 2009), TMac (53, 2010) and Frost (83 2012) are some examples of good selections. Of course there are many that haven’t made it, but that is football. Hore (56 2018) has already shown he will make it. 

Your comment that “Taylor needs to produce more quality from our later draft picks if he is going to be there for another 5 years” is at very best, uninformed.

Firstly, lower draft picks are picked on potential - or they would be high draft picks. It’s then up to the player himself and the FD to develop that potential - not Taylor. The examples above show that he has a great eye for potential, particularly the 3 rookie picks.

Secondly, most later draft picks take a few years to develop therefore Taylor already has the runs on the board to be there for “ the next 5 years”. By your own admission, he cannot and should not yet be judged on later draft picks of the last year or two - although players like Baker (48 2017), Dunkley (mid season draft 2019), and Lockhart (2019 supplementary selection) would appear to me as though Taylor still has what it takes.

Just for once MB, I’m sure we would all like to see you come up with something constructive on this site. 

Gawn and TMac aren't Taylors selections and came from Prendegast who we all acknowledge set us back a long way. Frost was a trade with GWS. Ironically if you swapped Tmac and Lucas Cook and Gawn and Gysberts/Tapscott he would be probably be looked at in a different manner.

Harmes is the shinning light there and there are some handy prospects, but excellent is over the top.

Geelong for instance have a great record with later picks having picked up Stewart, Parfitt, Kelly, Henry (and potentially could add Miers to the list) in the past few years. Taylor is not in the same ball park.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 1:21 PM, Neil Crompton said:

Lower draft picks generally take more time to develop, if they are going to develop. Therefore I agree that the jury is still out on some of more recent picks. 

However, we have an excellent record IMO in later draft picks. Not sure how many of these are due to Taylor, but I would have thought that Harmes (2014 rookie), Hannan (pick 46 2016), Hunt (57 2013), Joel Smith (rookie 2016), AVB (rookie 2015), Fritsch (31 2017), Gawn (34 2009), TMac (53, 2010) and Frost (83 2012) are some examples of good selections. Of course there are many that haven’t made it, but that is football. Hore (56 2018) has already shown he will make it. 

Your comment that “Taylor needs to produce more quality from our later draft picks if he is going to be there for another 5 years” is at very best, uninformed.

Firstly, lower draft picks are picked on potential - or they would be high draft picks. It’s then up to the player himself and the FD to develop that potential - not Taylor. The examples above show that he has a great eye for potential, particularly the 3 rookie picks.

Secondly, most later draft picks take a few years to develop therefore Taylor already has the runs on the board to be there for “ the next 5 years”. By your own admission, he cannot and should not yet be judged on later draft picks of the last year or two - although players like Baker (48 2017), Dunkley (mid season draft 2019), and Lockhart (2019 supplementary selection) would appear to me as though Taylor still has what it takes.

Just for once MB, I’m sure we would all like to see you come up with something constructive on this site. 

Actually “Froggy” if I may be so bold, ‘constructive’ does not always come in the form of positive spin doctoring. Papering over cracks does not help in the long run.

Gawn, TMac and Frost were not Taylor recruits for starters, so cross them off your list. 

Harmes is a beauty no doubt and Fritsch and Hore look very likely long termers, but Hannan, Vanders and White? Jury’s still well and truly convening. None you could say have stamped themselves as bonafide locks in a first 22.

Go back again and look at the list I compiled of non-R1 draft and rookie draft picks Taylor selected from 2013-2017 in particular. Discount 2018 by all means. It ‘ain’t good enough. Nowhere near from your head of recruiting. Maybe for a lower to middling side. But not for a club with genuine premiership aspirations. 

If an outside entity was conducting a thorough review of the FD it’s one of the first areas that would start beeping on their radar.

Don’t mistake constructive criticism for thoughtless negativity. And if you’re going to use examples to support your counter argument, it’s best to be accurate with names, dates and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Actually “Froggy” if I may be so bold, ‘constructive’ does not always come in the form of positive spin doctoring. Papering over cracks does not help in the long run.

Gawn, TMac and Frost were not Taylor recruits for starters, so cross them off your list. 

Harmes is a beauty no doubt and Fritsch and Hore look very likely long termers, but Hannan, Vanders and White? Jury’s still well and truly convening. None you could say have stamped themselves as bonafide locks in a first 22.

Go back again and look at the list I compiled of non-R1 draft and rookie draft picks Taylor selected from 2013-2017 in particular. Discount 2018 by all means. It ‘ain’t good enough. Nowhere near from your head of recruiting. Maybe for a lower to middling side. But not for a club with genuine premiership aspirations. 

If an outside entity was conducting a thorough review of the FD it’s one of the first areas that would start beeping on their radar.

Don’t mistake constructive criticism for thoughtless negativity. And if you’re going to use examples to support your counter argument, it’s best to be accurate with names, dates and so on.

Probably need to follow your own advice here Mucho Complaino - you’ve been saying the same thing page after page after page.

What are your examples to support your argument.  Which clubs have nailed every post first round pick over the past five seasons?  Give us something to compare Taylor’s record against.

The majority of drafted players don’t play more than 10 games.  It’s even less after a the first round- so who are comparing Taylor to if his incompetence is so glaring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Probably need to follow your own advice here Mucho Complaino - you’ve been saying the same thing page after page after page.

What are your examples to support your argument.  Which clubs have nailed every post first round pick over the past five seasons?  Give us something to compare Taylor’s record against.

The majority of drafted players don’t play more than 10 games.  It’s even less after a the first round- so who are comparing Taylor to if his incompetence is so glaring?

It's true that a much deeper analysis than I've done could be carried out. All I did was establish a prima facie case, the evidence being our ladder position, %age and extraordinary lack of depth. And the fact that we keep having to pay overs for talent, robbing our recruiting system of opportunities to replenish from the draft at healthy intervals.

I would bank on the BIG 6 (Pies, WC, Geel, GWS, Rich, Crows) having a better track record at post-R1 recruiting than us. But I'm not going to spend hours doing the study and am okay with being proven wrong.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 6/10/2019 at 1:52 PM, Watts the matter said:

Gawn and TMac aren't Taylors selections and came from Prendegast who we all acknowledge set us back a long way. Frost was a trade with GWS. Ironically if you swapped Tmac and Lucas Cook and Gawn and Gysberts/Tapscott he would be probably be looked at in a different manner.

Harmes is the shinning light there and there are some handy prospects, but excellent is over the top.

Geelong for instance have a great record with later picks having picked up Stewart, Parfitt, Kelly, Henry (and potentially could add Miers to the list) in the past few years. Taylor is not in the same ball park.

 

Just dont let Wells pick round 1 selections. Not a great record the last 10 years. Hasn't had any real low selections but I  wouldnt give any of these a tick.

10 Nakia Cockatoo
16 Darcy Lang
16

Jackson Thurlow

16 Darcy Lang
23

Cameron Guthrie

15 Billie Smedts
15 Mitch Brown
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grimes Times said:

 

Just dont let Wells pick round 1 selections. Not a great record the last 10 years. Hasn't had any real low selections but I  wouldnt give any of these a tick.

10 Nakia Cockatoo
16 Darcy Lang
16

Jackson Thurlow

16 Darcy Lang
23

Cameron Guthrie

15 Billie Smedts
15 Mitch Brown

Go all the way back to Kane Tenace and David Spriggs also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Grimes Times said:

 

Just dont let Wells pick round 1 selections. Not a great record the last 10 years. Hasn't had any real low selections but I  wouldnt give any of these a tick.

10 Nakia Cockatoo
16 Darcy Lang
16

Jackson Thurlow

16 Darcy Lang
23

Cameron Guthrie

15 Billie Smedts
15 Mitch Brown

Except for Guthrie they are R1 picks. Not great though I agree but you would need to do a more comprehensive spreadsheet of the six clubs I mentioned, listing all players selected after R1 (including rookie and CatB etc) from 2013-2017. Then you'll have the data to make an assessment.

Cam Guthrie is good solid player with 150 games at Geelong to his name. He's a non-R1 draftee and will be in the plus column for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Except for Guthrie they are R1 picks. Not great though I agree but you would need to do a more comprehensive spreadsheet of the six clubs I mentioned, listing all players selected after R1 (including rookie and CatB etc) from 2013-2017. Then you'll have the data to make an assessment.

Cam Guthrie is good solid player with 150 games at Geelong to his name. He's a non-R1 draftee and will be in the plus column for them.

Not going to argue but Guthurie was a round one selection thats why I included him and I dont rate him at all and would hardly call him solid even though hes played close to 150 games. 150 more then me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grimes Times said:

 

Just dont let Wells pick round 1 selections. Not a great record the last 10 years. Hasn't had any real low selections but I  wouldnt give any of these a tick.

10 Nakia Cockatoo
16 Darcy Lang
16

Jackson Thurlow

16 Darcy Lang
23

Cameron Guthrie

15 Billie Smedts
15 Mitch Brown

Yes, he has messed up some first rounders, but at the end of the day you would be happy with the final outcome of the drafts with the picks they entered the drafts with.

To pick up Parfitt and Stewart with 26 and 40. You would be delighted if you scored either of those players using your first rounder.

To pick up Tim Kelly at pick 24, who Leigh Matthews as being worth Pick 1 and Pick 10 two year later. 

He has never had access to the real early picks and doesn't have a great record between 10-20 but he makes up for it pretty easily.

With the picks Taylor has had, I don't think you can say he has done an 'outstanding' job and is doing any better than average. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Watts the matter said:

Yes, he has messed up some first rounders, but at the end of the day you would be happy with the final outcome of the drafts with the picks they entered the drafts with.

To pick up Parfitt and Stewart with 26 and 40. You would be delighted if you scored either of those players using your first rounder.

To pick up Tim Kelly at pick 24, who Leigh Matthews as being worth Pick 1 and Pick 10 two year later. 

He has never had access to the real early picks and doesn't have a great record between 10-20 but he makes up for it pretty easily.

With the picks Taylor has had, I don't think you can say he has done an 'outstanding' job and is doing any better than average. 

Players Geelong drafted between 2013 - 2018 on the Cats’ current list:

Parfitt, Stewart, Kelly, Menegola, Kolodjashnij, Ratugolea, Miers, Blicavs, Guthrie.

It’s development too of course but ol’ Wellsy is still braining it looking at those names.

MFC has to get that good if we’re serious about winning silverware.

Edited by Matsuo Basho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matsuo Basho said:

Players Geelong drafted between 2013 - 2018 on the Cats’ current list:

Parfitt, Stewart, Kelly, Menegola, Kolodjashnij, Ratugolea, Miers, Blicavs, Guthrie.

It’s development too of course but ol’ Wellsy is still braining it looking at those names.

MFC has to get that good if we’re serious about winning silverware.

Are those same listed players that you just listed (Kelly is an outright gun on another level) be still quality without the like of Dangerfield, Ablett, Rohan, Dahlhouse, Selwood, Taylor Hawkins, Touhey and Stanley?? These players have made them look good this year.

Without those name those players bar Kelly are ordinary players. Those same names also got shown out and bullied by a bunch of 21-23 years olds in Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca, Weideman, Viney, Salem and Harmes. 

The difference is their ability to continue to trade in experienced soliders fill gaps like Dahlhouse, Rohan, Dangerfield, Stanley, Ablett, Touhey. 

We need to take a leaf out of their book and continue to bring in more experience players to add on top of Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca, Harmes, Weideman, Viney etc. Not blokes like 8 gamers in Pruess, but guys like May who have already played 100 games and can just come in and play a role immediately. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Are those same listed players that you just listed (Kelly is an outright gun on another level) be still quality without the like of Dangerfield, Ablett, Rohan, Dahlhouse, Selwood, Taylor Hawkins, Touhey and Stanley?? These players have made them look good this year.

Without those name those players bar Kelly are ordinary players. Those same names also got shown out and bullied by a bunch of 21-23 years olds in Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca, Weideman, Viney, Salem and Harmes. 

The difference is their ability to continue to trade in experienced soliders fill gaps like Dahlhouse, Rohan, Dangerfield, Stanley, Ablett, Touhey. 

We need to take a leaf out of their book and continue to bring in more experience players to add on top of Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca, Harmes, Weideman, Viney etc. Not blokes like 8 gamers in Pruess, but guys like May who have already played 100 games and can just come in and play a role immediately. 

 

Stewart, Kelly and Blicavs are out and out guns. Menegola, Kolodjashnij and Guthrie more than solid first 22 citizens, Miers and Esava very promising as we have seen.

Who are Jason Taylor’s equivalents on our current list? OMac, Harmes, Frost, Hannan, Hunt, ANB, Fritsch, Hore. I mean it’s okay but there too many NQR’s in there and where are the stars? Harmes is about as close as you’ll get. Wells has got him well covered I’m afraid. 

Agree that we need more experience in key areas. We can start by making Ben Brown a big big offer to leave North.

Edited by Matsuo Basho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to clarify something in this thread; we ARE able to trade our first round pick this year or next year. We just have to use one of them, ie - 1 first round pick out of 2019 and 2020. It's a rolling four year period. There's info here:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-02/trading-firstround-picks-afls-most-misunderstood-rule-explained?fbclid=IwAR399B4GgEtfe0n_QTfe_mYfcIQD1pz2PEYIbIy6JNvDP2UolPUP1Y1Vqcs

Given the general consensus on our list, as well as opposition clubs likely believing our 2019 is an abomination, we are likely to have more bargaining power with this years pick, than offering up a future one. I'm not sure if that makes it less or more likely we trade this years first rounder though; I guess it depends on the particular target and their clubs trade requirements.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry but picking Sam Weideman ahead of Charlie Curnow was unforgivable by Jason Taylor. He overlooked a generational player there in Curnow. People can say 6 other clubs did as well but it's not good enough. At pick 9 (Weideman) and pick 12 (Curnow) a clear decision had to be made between the two and Taylor went the wrong way. Add that to his resume please, bolded, highlighted, and underlined.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...