Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Frankston v Casey Demons - Round 7

WERRIDEE

Here’s my take on the Melbourne listed players.

3 Votes – Pederson: Was the dominant player on the ground. Kicked 6.1 and took at least 8 big contested marks. He looked unstoppable. And boy did the frankston locals give it to him!

2 Votes – Bugg: After a quiet first half managed to work his way into the game and finish up with 6 goals. Got on the end of a cheap one or two but also dished off a couple to teammates which he could have easily kicked himself.

1 Vote – Baker: Found plenty of ball and has some aggressive run & carry. Kicked a nice goal too in the last quarter to seal off a good game. Seems like a handy prospect.

Wagner: found enough of it but disposal still lets him down. Set up some nice set plays but also had a couple of poor turnovers by foot.

Hunt: Similar to Wagner, gave us some good drive off half back but had a couple of bad turnovers that these blokes shouldn’t make against opposition like this. Although probably first in line for a call up out of all of the defenders today.

Frost: Took some good strong marks but again the knock on him was some poor skill errors. Wont be forcing his way back in the team on todays performance.

Smith: Ball wasn’t deep in defence much but he took a couple of strong marks and made the most of his opportunities.

Petty: Took a couple of nice marks and looks like an impressive prospect in defence. Quite a big lad for a kid.

Garlett: Very ordinary from Jeffy. Kicked a junk time goal in the last but found no where near enough of the ball. When he did he looked quick and a cut above but these moments were rare.

Stretch: Didn’t do a great deal either which was disappointing.

JKH: Just going through the motions. Seems a long way off all those 30+ possession VFL games that he had last year. Don’t think we’ll see him in the red & blue again.

Balic: A lot to like here. Wasn’t dominant but made the most of his opportunities. Was strong around the ball and he has clean skills. Also took a couple of nice marks. Will be interesting to watch his progress over the next half of the season. Could be a chance for a game towards the end of the year.

Keilty: Couple of nice contested marks but unfortunately didn’t finish the game due to concusion.

Filipovic: Actually didn’t mind the work of the young ruckman. Gets into some good spots and contested well in the air. A good game

Johnstone: As mentioned before, a last ditch effort to reinvent him as a small defender but unfortunately he doesn’t look like he’ll make it. Pretty quiet from him again today.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Bleasey as that said:

3 Votes – Pederson: Was the dominant player on the ground. Kicked 6.1 and took at least 8 big contested marks. He looked unstoppable. And boy did the frankston locals give it to him!

Warms my heart. Should be in the AFL team.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Bleasey as that said:

2 Votes – Bugg: After a quiet first half managed to work his way into the game and finish up with 6 goals. Got on the end of a cheap one or two but also dished off a couple to teammates which he could have easily kicked himself.

1 Vote – Baker: Found plenty of ball and has some aggressive run & carry. Kicked a nice goal too in the last quarter to seal off a good game. Seems like a handy prospect.

Wagner: found enough of it but disposal still lets him down. Set up some nice set plays but also had a couple of poor turnovers by foot.

Hunt: Similar to Wagner, gave us some good drive off half back but had a couple of bad turnovers that these blokes shouldn’t make against opposition like this. Although probably first in line for a call up out of all of the defenders today.

Frost: Took some good strong marks but again the knock on him was some poor skill errors. Wont be forcing his way back in the team on todays performance.

Smith: Ball wasn’t deep in defence much but he took a couple of strong marks and made the most of his opportunities.

Petty: Took a couple of nice marks and looks like an impressive prospect in defence. Quite a big lad for a kid.

Garlett: Very ordinary from Jeffy. Kicked a junk time goal in the last but found no where near enough of the ball. When he did he looked quick and a cut above but these moments were rare.

JKH: Just going through the motions. Seems a long way off all those 30+ possession VFL games that he had last year. Don’t think we’ll see him in the red & blue again.

Balic: A lot to like here. Wasn’t dominant but made the most of his opportunities. Was strong around the ball and he has clean skills. Also took a couple of nice marks. Will be interesting to watch his progress over the next half of the season. Could be a chance for a game towards the end of the year.

Keilty: Couple of nice contested marks but unfortunately didn’t finish the game due to concusion.

Filipovic: Actually didn’t mind the work of the young ruckman. Gets into some good spots and contested well in the air. A good game

Johnstone: As mentioned before, a last ditch effort to reinvent him as a small defender but unfortunately he doesn’t look like he’ll make it. Pretty quiet from him again today.

I missed the first quarter Bleasey. Thought you were a little tough on JKH. Did Baker play well in the first quarter? I didn't think he did much.

4 minutes ago, Bleasey as that said:

Thanks 'Bat', for your thoughts.

• Thanks 1

After a slow start (the first 15 minutes) in which the Dolphins were on top all over the ground but only managed 6 points (lucky not to be 3 or four goals down) Casey became increasingly dominant..

Light breeze to the Casey end in the second quarter saw them kick 7 goals to nil.

Why... the midfield got on top... no one player in particular but just pressure at the ball.

Pedersen started taking some marks and we went from there.

Third quarter was the Tomas Bugg show with Pedersen delivering some wonderful cameo high flying marks and goals.

I watched Oskar reasonably closely and he was just ok without impressing.

Jeff G may have done something but I didn't sight him really until the last quarter. Certainly was not in his usual deep forward position.

Pedersen rucked for quite a while. Didn't seem to win many ruck competitions but then again he was by no means thrashed.

All in all a very enjoyable game with Pedersen the stand out star.

By the way the ground is lovely, Old stands, grass terraces, sea view.. the local supporters are very vocal but watching from the relative safety of the other side it added to the atmosphere.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Without doubt it's one of the better suburban grounds Diamond. Wandered down a number of times and always good value around Mornington Peninsula League finals time.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Pedo unlucky that Bull got promoted. With Weid out, I thought Pedo would be the obvious choice and can play backup ruck minutes. 

I think the Selectors & Goody are still playing/experimenting with the best 22.  Looking for our best balanced lineup.

I reckon Pedo will get his chance soon, with many big games coming to meet us.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Any chance the team will be celebrating at this salubrious Thai Restaurant in Malvern East tonight?

8F1C38CF-AFDE-4A91-A9C3-6B4405A6AAB2.jpeg

... you really shouldn't show his phone number Jack. ?

24 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Any chance the team will be celebrating at this salubrious Thai Restaurant in Malvern East tonight?

8F1C38CF-AFDE-4A91-A9C3-6B4405A6AAB2.jpeg

He does it all Pedo, clunks some big grabs, kicks a bag, gets best on winning plenty of the pill while his missus gave a local a clip in the crowd.

After all that, takes the lads out for a home made Pad Thai, some Pad Krapow and shouts a couple Singha’s afterwards.

The guy should be knighted 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Apologies about the duplicate message

but praise be to Cam

Edited by deeko
  • Like 2

There is a lot of commentary on the game and I wasn't going to add my bit but it's interesting the way different people see things differently.

Firstly we need to keep in mind that Casey was chock full of AFL list players and Frankston are chock full of players not good enough to get on an AFL list.  It was a complete mismatch.  It's not surprising that the mature near quality AFL players had a picnic.  Pedo and Bugg were very good today and just too good for the opposition.  Had Tim Smith been there he to would have been too good for the opposition.  Pedo's marking was terrific, really good, but let's not pretend he'd get the sort of run at it and delivery he got today in AFL footy.  I recognize that you can only beat what you're playing against but my advice is don't get excited by what the mature heads showed today.  We've seen almost 100 times what these two do at AFL level and today doesn't change that.

Secondly, there were a couple of players that I thought did show something.  Joel Smith was good.  He didn't have a lot to do because the ball spent the majority of the time (after the first 20 minutes) at the other end of the ground but for the second week in a row, against a vastly different opposition, he was almost faultless.  Harrison Petty also played a really solid game taking a couple of really nice contested marks and kicking the ball really well.  Both these guys showed AFL attributes today and I enjoy that because I watch Casey to see who has and who hasn't got those sort of attributes.

Garlett played a lot in the midfield and struggled to get into the game until the last quarter when it was party time.  He did Jeffy things but not nearly often enough for mine.  Spargo would have to play a shocker not to go to Alice.  I was really pleased for Jayden Hunt.  He was pretty ordinary in the first half and then in a 15 minute burst in the third found his mojo.  He must have taken 4 or 5 marks and he had a lot of general play involvement which he has really struggled with.  I'm pleased for him because we all know what he offers and when he can produce it again at AFL level we'll be better for it.  It was a good step forward for a kid that was bereft of confidence last week.

Flipper struggled today I thought.  I was disappointed he didn't hold some marks he should have.  It wasn't one or two, it would have been upward of half a dozen.  He would have had a much better game if he'd held these.

I thought JKH also came right into the game in the second half but again it's hard to see where he gets a chance.

Billy Stretch struggled which was disappointing after a great game last week but where he differs from Bugg and Pedo is that he's young with upside.  But it would have been nice to see another dominant performance against disappointing opposition.

• Like 12
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Pedo unlucky that Bull got promoted. With Weid out, I thought Pedo would be the obvious choice and can play backup ruck minutes. 

Bull had been consistently in the best 3 the last few games, and Pedo had been quiet, the clubs website kept giving hints that Smith was close for a couple of weeks so it wasnt really a surprise for me. He'd be just about leading the Casey BnF Smith, so his elevation was justified and deserved. But it is good that the pressure will now be on him to perform given Pedo's performance today. Pedo had a ripper against Richmond but wasnt elevated so will be interesting selection for the NT next Thursday evening.

2 hours ago, Bleasey as that said:

Hey Bleasey thanks for your take on today's game.

I haven't posted for a couple of years (probably) but needed to respond re: your comment that Balic could be a chance for a game towards the end of the year.

I like to think and believe that as a club we are now past gifting potential 'next season' rookies a game 'just to give them a taste' at the end of a season......why because I hope......NO.....I know we will have players like Pedo, Garlett, Frost, Wagner, Stretch, Bugg etc. that are working extra hard, hungry and fighting for a spot in our 2018 finals side(s).

Don't get me wrong, I hope Balic is working his arse off too and I would like nothing more than to see his performances and work ethic push him ahead of those more senior players playing his role..........but whether you are an observer, supporter or member we should ALL expect and demand that the most 'in form' and 'balanced' team is selected each week regardless of a players name or their games played!

I suspect 'Goody' has the same opinion and that is why 'Jeffy' is playing for Casey.

FWIW

I think JKH should start to 'bunk up' and train with Nev Jetta so he can learn to be 'hard and accountable' and hopefully develop into Nev's replacement.

Over-and-out for another few years......

• Like 3

Respect what you say Toad and please post anytime.

Balic has the body of a footballer and seems to have some ball finding ability. He's one to watch .. not saying he will make it.. but he is certainly one of the five or six most likely.

IIRC he has a one year contract which I suspect will be soon renewed.

If anyone gets a look in next week my guess is Bugg for Spargo (rest or form)

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

You going to watch the slaughter?

The Sunday morning hangings in Changi, Singapore, were bad enough! The Frankston game will be too much to bear. oops, game over - hadn't noticed - and it was a slaughter! Carna red n blue.

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

#pedolegend

Sounds like he did another 'save the game' effort for the team - as he has done in crucial moments of games in the firsts so often. He does give, doesn't he? Low profile, great skills, dependable and there as a team man. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had an enjoyable time watching Casey having a training run today. The above posts pretty much sum it up, I would just like to add that Pedo's contested marks(albeit against inferior competition) were sublime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

While I thought Pedo might get the call up as well, I'd hardly call it unlucky.  Tim Smith has been sensational, from all reports, at Casey this year and fully deserves his chance.  

It's great Pedersen kicked 6 but it wasn't exactly against tough opposition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deeko said:

He does it all Pedo, clunks some big grabs, kicks a bag, gets best on winning plenty of the pill while his missus gave a local a clip in the crowd.

After all that, takes the lads out for a home made Pad Thai, some Pad Krapow and shouts a couple Singha’s afterwards.

The guy should be knighted 

Done.  Sir Pedo'.  Knight of the gRound,  'G'

• Like 2

Happy to see Hunt find form.

Happy to see Pedo kick 6.

Hate seeing Bugg play well, I never want to see him in the seniors he is a burden.

Unless Melbourne have a shocker and lose I don't see any changes.

After all they did play Frankston who are pathetic.

3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

By the way the ground is lovely, Old stands, grass terraces, sea view.. the local supporters are very vocal but watching from the relative safety of the other side it added to the atmosphere.

I was born in Frankston and this was the first footy ground I went to. My dad was chief trainer at the club and we went to the Frankston game every Saturday. I don’t know what league they were playing in then but I do remember that they played in St Kilda jumpers.

• Like 3