• Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

• Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

What is Petracca's Position?

Premiers

On 5/13/2018 at 4:09 PM, Lord Travis said:

Petracca is out of form. His first few weeks were good, but he’s obviously been effected by the dog bite and missing playing for a few weeks.

I think he’s best suited to playing half forward with stints in the midfield. He’s only shown glimpses in the midfield, and I don’t think his tank will ever improve enough for him to spend majority of game time there and excel. I see him in the Paul Chapman mould, but taller and more explosive. At half forward he’s a hard match up for the opposition due to his marking strength. 

The frustrating thing when watching him is his lack of work rate. He often skirts packs and refuses to chase and tackle. He’s cruising on talent at the moment. Hopefully he has a big shift in mindset like Clarry did and he starts working his ass off to realize his potential. He could be a top 5 player in the comp, but on current trajectory he won’t be. 

LT

He actually missed one week.

Yes he seems to be cruising and if he can't / won't he needs to be sent a message and spend some time at Casey

How about sending him deep forward totally isolated for some minutes an and off - sort of Jarman / Shanahan GF (1995?) mismatch.  Would a defence coach put a taller a quick on him??

How about he plays on the wing as an outside receiver, delivering the ball into the inside 50? He has pace, great hands, great kick and is building his tank and running ability. He should also rotate inside as he showed in the first 2 games that he can be a very good inside mid but with Viney back we can limit his time there. I see him as a great transition player, marking the ball coming out of defence and turning it into a forward  weapon in his hands. 

Been saying it for weeks, the boy is stuck in second gear, please don’t turn out to be another Colin. Has everything an elite players has, but does he have the want. That’s my biggest question right now. Happy to give him a few weeks after dog bite gate, but expecting more from him this year.

• Like 1

Lucifer forbid he ends up anything like Col SF.  What a waste of talent.  Hopefully the FD can find / replace missing grub (bite?) screw and get him to about 4th gear or so for the most part of the season.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Trac is playing his role well...   motoring along as a nice cog in the machine without any spectacular games or BOG's... seems to be playing as a high half forward, where he was more a mid the first month of the season.  Probably spending less time in the midfield than he would like during our winning streak. 

Would love to see him explode on Queens Birthday with a massive 30 disposal, 5 goal game in a huge Demon victory.   

Its also his 50th game .

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 6

Yeah he’s been playing better the last couple of games. Lots of Assists and involvements. 

One week he will bob up and dominate. If a defence is getting on top, let Hogan and Mac have a run and play Trac FF

• Like 1

I agree with Petraccattack and rpfc.

He is currently playing a multitude of roles that allows him to use his versatility as a tall foward, small forward, inside midfielder, outside midfielder, play maker and all round smart footballer. 

Whilst his execution is sometimes wanting, his strong contested marking, ability to win the ball in close and make good decisions is making a major contribution to our game plan and success.

Very much enjoying him as a flanker and rotating on ball. He doesn't get big stats and he's not producing a lot of flashy moments but his ability to turn a contest at half forward encourages our fast ball movement. 

He's also working hard to make better decisions and iron out his goal kicking.

And his pressure around the ball scares defenders and if he can just lift his work rate to get contest to contest as a forward he'll be super dangerous.

On the bigger MCG he'll get more one on ones and plays in space as well.

There was a contest on the forward flank where he was kicked to 2 on 1 and just held his position to make sure he was spoilt back in to the corridor and could run on to the ball and it was brilliant play.

• Like 1

One thing I'd like to see is if for the first 5 minutes of a quarter T Mc does his thing where he starts on a wing then instead of Tim Smith getting the FF job I'd like to see Tracc get that chance. Play Smith or Hannan up a big higher and let Tracc be the go to man inside 50 to start quarters. 

For this week against the Pies I'd give him 5 minutes deep with the other forwards up the ground and some leading room to see if he can get Dunny on the lead or one on one.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Whilst Trac has done some amazing things at times and he may well be playing his role perfectly .. I still think all this media hype at how much of a star he is .. is totally unfounded. 

Don't get me wrong.. he certainly has incredible talent and could be anything as a player.. But it feels as though he hasn't had a BOG performance yet. 

Once he taps into his full potential on a weekly basis .. LOOK THE [censored] OUT 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Die Hard Demon said:

Whilst Trac has done some amazing things at times and he may well be playing his role perfectly .. I still think all this media hype at how much of a star he is .. is totally unfounded. 

Don't get me wrong.. he certainly has incredible talent and could be anything as a player.. But it feels as though he hasn't had a BOG performance yet. 

Once he taps into his full potential on a weekly basis .. LOOK THE [censored] OUT 

He was BOG in this game last year. We were gone against the Pies in QB2017 before Trac showed up and went beast-mode on them.

• Thanks 1

Half forward with stints on the ball.  He reminds me of Robbie Gray and if he can develop into a player as damaging as he is, we'll be laughing.  While Gray is not as powerful through the body as Petracca, the game seems to slow down when he's in traffic and he has the skills to make opposition players look foolish. 

• Like 1

When Petracca is on fire, debating where he should play is a bit like debaing which seat an elephant gets at the cinema. Anywhere it wants and as many as it needs, who is going to argue?

The way I see it, the challenge is how to get the most out of Petracca when he is merely human, and that isn't clear to me.

Put another way - When you can take contested marks, sidestep, burst run, throw off tackles, and have inspired awareness of your surroundings, you're good anywhere. But if you're just not quite doing all of those things, you're not great anywhere.

Of course, it'd be ridiculous to make him tag, not least because that would in turn expose what remains his one definite weakness, his running endurance.

He needs one of those 'home truths' conversations where he gets sat down and told directly 'you can be amazing, but right now we can't trust you to sustain it, that's why you're neither a main starting midfielder or an established forward'. Then see how he responds.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

When Petracca is on fire, debating where he should play is a bit like debaing which seat an elephant gets at the cinema. Anywhere it wants and as many as it needs, who is going to argue?

The way I see it, the challenge is how to get the most out of Petracca when he is merely human, and that isn't clear to me.

Put another way - When you can take contested marks, sidestep, burst run, throw off tackles, and have inspired awareness of your surroundings, you're good anywhere. But if you're just not quite doing all of those things, you're not great anywhere.

Of course, it'd be ridiculous to make him tag, not least because that would in turn expose what remains his one definite weakness, his running endurance.

He needs one of those 'home truths' conversations where he gets sat down and told directly 'you can be amazing, but right now we can't trust you to sustain it, that's why you're neither a main starting midfielder or an established forward'. Then see how he responds.

I think he's clearly working on sharing the ball with smarter decisions and on his goal kicking. That's a couple of things to get better at and then they'll move to the next thing and so on.

But if the conversations don't work I've never been a fan of coaches who don't take action and the action to show him where his work rate is at and where it could be is to make him tag. I certainly wouldn't do it this week. In fact I wouldn't even do it this year probably. But just as key forwards should have a go down back as part of their development I think guys like Tracc should be thrown the challenge of tagging at some stage.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2018 at 11:24 AM, Mach5 said:

Petracca has been frustratingly quiet of late, but that judgment is based upon his incredible potential.

His trajectory will be similar to Hogan. In time he'll be great, will dominate; we know this, we'd just like to see it happen now.

We are expecting a lot I'd say.  If he's building from this I'm more than happy

Season Rnd Versus K H D M HO T

Tackles
FF FA G B SC Rat W/L  
2018 R11 Western Bulldogs 10 11 21 4 0 3 0 1 1 0 6 79 Win  
2018 R10 Adelaide 12 10 22 4 0 3 0 0 3 0 18 98 Win  
2018 R9 Carlton 10 10 20 5 0 2 0 0 1 0 6 79 Win  
Edited by Travis16
  • Like 2