Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

Go and get Gaff!


McQueen
 Share


Recommended Posts

Well this is awkward.

Gaff should absolutely get 6 weeks - the same as Bugg. It can not possibly be any other sentence. (altho the AFL will find a way). Its an almost identical scenario.

And not only that Bugg was pilloried widely including by his own teammates and club, who I think were very poor and unsupportive of Bugg who was repentent and contrite over his actions .

Will be interesting what stance the club and media take. Clearly Gaff is not a 'pest' like Bugg, doesn't send out inflammatory Instagram's and is viewed as a ball-playing gun.

Watch carefully over the next few days as the full gamut of AFL hypocrisy is on vibrant display. Prepared to be sickened. 

  • Like 3
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

it's dirty but i thought the same thing,.. But for real, very sorry for Brayshaw with the broken jaw, how do we think Gaff will go as a team mate of Angus? I'd be a little dark to say the least.

Angus seems to manage just fine with Bugg as a teammate.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just finished watching the game now. How bad are the Eagles supporters. Standing ovation for Gaff when he comes off. Same again when they all got round him after his final 1/4 goal. 

After Biggs hit we (for the most part) all sat around thinking what [censored]. Certainty didnt applaud it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Angus and Andrew's brother Hamish plays for the Eagles.

The Brayshaw's will get over it. Mr Brayshaw probably understands that these things happen in footy. Mrs Brayshaw has been through a lot but I doubt she'd hold a grudge.

Smart sponsors will be happy a very good footballer has joined the Demons. They'll be fine.

If you get the chance, watch Ross Lyons presser to see how his mum is feeling, she’s distraught and so is Ross by the look of him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nasher said:

Angus seems to manage just fine with Bugg as a teammate.

Did Bugg snot one of the Brayshaws? I don't recall that. I was fine with Pickett, Vince and Lewis joining the Demons, more than happy to see Gaff join the side (if it happens) was just speaking as a brother, to use the cliche 'blood is thicker' and all of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I don’t think Gaff missed at all

he sized him up first

agree to disagree, but be clear on this point, I think Gaff should go for as long as he would get as if he had 100% meant it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JTR said:

Just finished watching the game now. How bad are the Eagles supporters. Standing ovation for Gaff when he comes off. Same again when they all got round him after his final 1/4 goal. 

After Biggs hit we (for the most part) all sat around thinking what [censored]. Certainty didnt applaud it!

Then the AFL should double his penalty to send a message to supporters and players that laud this kind of behaviour. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MSFebey said:

If you get the chance, watch Ross Lyons presser to see how his mum is feeling, she’s distraught and so is Ross by the look of him.

Of course any mother would be distraught. I don't expect Gaff to be on her Christmas list but I imagine in time she'll come to forgive him. Especially once Andy is back healthy which I hope is sooner rather than later.

As for Ross - well it's nice to find a distraction rather than talking about Freo's form. He's coached many players who have been suspended for some nasty things over the years I'm sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

And not only that Bugg was pilloried widely including by his own teammates and club, who I think were very poor and unsupportive of Bugg who was repentent and contrite over his actions .

Yeah while Bugg needed the stint, I didn't love some of the commentary he got from the club.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Of course any mother would be distraught. I don't expect Gaff to be on her Christmas list but I imagine in time she'll come to forgive him. Especially once Andy is back healthy which I hope is sooner rather than later.

As for Ross - well it's nice to find a distraction rather than talking about Freo's form. He's coached many players who have been suspended for some nasty things over the years I'm sure.

Are you for real??

the Kid was assaulted. If that was outside a nightclub Gaff would be under Police Custody

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Deefiant said:

Hodge and Mitchell both had success with the Hawks. Jones has stuck with us through the worst period and should be there to enjoy the good times. Loyalty works both ways. If he wanted a big payday he wouldve left ages ago.

I understand all that, but he has a max of 2 years with us, before he's gets overtaken from within.  

There is every chance that Jones'y will lose the captaincy at the Demons within the next 12 months.

 

That won't be the case at the Suns.  As his leadership alone will dictate he plays on there to aid in their recovery.

They and the AFL would pay him overs  to have a player of his skill-sets and experience,  to help lead the Sun's out of the shadows.

 

I cannot think of any other leader within the AFL that has his bulk of experiences,,, that makes them a better choice to do that job.   He is far and away the most suited for the role.

Loyalty of course... but how will it be when we have to drop him from our finals bound sides next year, or the season after.  How will that be for loyalty ?  And after that,  retirement beckons.    A sudden fall from grace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DV8 said:

I understand all that, but he has a max of 2 years with us, before he's gets overtaken from within.  

There is every chance that Jones'y will lose the captaincy at the Demons within the next 12 months.

 

That won't be the case at the Suns.  As his leadership alone will dictate he plays on there to aid in their recovery.

They and the AFL would pay him overs  to have a player of his skill-sets and experience,  to help lead the Sun's out of the shadows.

 

I cannot think of any other leader within the AFL that has his bulk of experiences,,, that makes them a better choice to do that job.   He is far and away the most suited for the role.

Loyalty of course... but how will it be when we have to drop him from our finals bound sides next year, or the season after.  How will that be for loyalty ?  And after that,  retirement beckons.    A sudden fall from grace.

I get your point, yes he would offer something to the Suns, but after dealing with 2007-2015 why on earth would you put yourself through that again? for sure he will go out on a high with us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, deanox said:

That's ridiculous.  Intentionally assaulting someone 50 m away from the ball is not "the nature of contact sport".

An overly aggressive hip and shoulder while contesting the game falls in that category. 

If that's where the line is drawn, then every jumper punch, every tummy tap, every raised elbow should be charged by the cops as assault???

Gaff's hit was clearly bad and he will cop a heavy suspension. But he should not face criminal charges. That was my point.

There's plenty of over dramatic outrage on this thread in the last hour or two

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DV8 said:

I understand all that, but he has a max of 2 years with us, before he's gets overtaken from within.  

There is every chance that Jones'y will lose the captaincy at the Demons within the next 12 months.

 

That won't be the case at the Suns.  As his leadership alone will dictate he plays on there to aid in their recovery.

They and the AFL would pay him overs  to have a player of his skill-sets and experience,  to help lead the Sun's out of the shadows.

 

I cannot think of any other leader within the AFL that has his bulk of experiences,,, that makes them a better choice to do that job.   He is far and away the most suited for the role.

Loyalty of course... but how will it be when we have to drop him from our finals bound sides next year, or the season after.  How will that be for loyalty ?  And after that,  retirement beckons.    A sudden fall from grace.

Who the hell would want to Captain The $un$

Why Bother...

soulless Tax Haven

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Are you for real??

the Kid was assaulted. If that was outside a nightclub Gaff would be under Police Custody

Kid? He's 18. He's a man. If he's not maybe he shouldn't have entered the draft or should be playing WAFL.

It wasn't outside a night club though was it? It was on a footy field and context matters.

He was blocking Gaff's run on the field. Gaff was barely looking at him. Brayshaw wasn't either and you can see him dip down to move away from Gaff. Gaff took a swing for his chest to whack him away and smashed his chin. 

Gaff has played 170 odd games and never hit someone in the head before. That, and the vision, counts for something with me. More so than a hypothetical.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, picket fence said:

Gaff needs to go for 10 Given off the ball hit and damage caused!

 

Are you mad he'll be in our colours next year. 6 weeks is enough. At worst he'll miss 1 game for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Well this is awkward.

Gaff should absolutely get 6 weeks - the same as Bugg. It can not possibly be any other sentence. (altho the AFL will find a way). Its an almost identical scenario.

And not only that Bugg was pilloried widely including by his own teammates and club, who I think were very poor and unsupportive of Bugg who was repentent and contrite over his actions .

Will be interesting what stance the club and media take. Clearly Gaff is not a 'pest' like Bugg, doesn't send out inflammatory Instagram's and is viewed as a ball-playing gun.

Watch carefully over the next few days as the full gamut of AFL hypocrisy is on vibrant display. Prepared to be sickened. 

Im going with 5 weeks. He isnt a pest like Bugg (6 weeks) but is not a celebration of multiculturism like Houli (4 weeks), however this is AFL and as a star player he may also conceivably recieve anywhere between a $1,500 fine and 3 weeks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...