Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Go and get Gaff!

McQueen

The hysteria over what should happen to Gaff is absurd, Just as it was with Bugg.

Appalling hit and will be dealt with harshly, as it should be. Starting point 6 weeks as that is what Bugg got and Mills played the following week. Bugg wasn't looking at Mills when he lashed out whereas Gaff was looking straight at him. nonetheless I don't believe either was intentional and both players have never been suspended before (despite some nuff nuffs here saying Bugg was a "serial offender".)

But people make mistakes and that is what this is. A very bad one. He should do the time and that is it. No need to destroy his character. The fallout on bugg in my view was disgraceful largely because he was viewed as a pest and our club abandoned him. Gaff is a golden haired boy so will be interesting to see the comparison from media and club. 

Posters trying to turn this in to 'he should be charged by the police' , 'society needs to set an example' blah blah and those saying 'he should never come to Melbourne' are making stupid comments. We play a physical sport and players tread a fine line with agression every time they run out onto the track. This incident (as well as Buggs) step well and truly over that line and need to be dealt with harshly, but in the context of a physical contact sport.

Finally those saying 'Gaff will need to reconcile with Angus if he comes to melbourne' really need to think before posting. Gaff already plays with Angus' brother Hamish. On the field stuff happens. It doesn't mean its right but get some reality.

There are two young men here that will be suffering over this. Clearly most of the sympathy is with a young first year player who has suffered hugely. But lets have some perspective and not forget that Gaff will be remorseful and will suffer long term consequences as well.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Bugg actually got a lot more than 6 weeks - he has played only 3 games since and it seems he is unlikely to play for us again.  Maybe the Mills incident dented his confidence.  Maybe the club's NDH policy has sidelined him. 

Gaff is a much better player than Bugg so not sure if mfc would apply the same NDH policy.  I would like to think we are consistent.  Given last year's delist/trade decisions and this year's (non) selection decisions there is every indication mfc still values the NDH policy. 

Notwithstanding how distressing this is for everyone involved, I doubt if it would affect the club's decision on Gaff.  It seems more of an aberration than a character flaw.  

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, deanox said:

I'll defend Bugg here. He doesn't have a bad record.  As far as I am aware, last year is the only time he has ever been suspended.  I can't find any info about any other suspensions.  Only fines (for making contact with an injured Nick Reiwoldt, and for "saluting" the richmond cheer squad).

A lot of players have been suspended for hitting him though. He gets a bad go from the media.  He might be annoying but he has never over stepped the aggression line on the field before,  and he wasn't looking at Mills when he hit him in retaliation to bring hit from behind. 

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/an-extensive-rap-sheet-from-gws-giant-agitator-to-melbourne-enforcer/news-story/4bb65be2b05db80227ef6907c5bf4d95

Good comments. Disgraceful and manipulative article meant to establish fake character in the kid. They are beyond drivel and verge on spittle to get a gutter point of view in the narrative. This time they roll out a North Melbourne ex player, remembered for a "few incidents" and "tech play expert" to do the AFL's job for them to lesson a "hefty weeks hit"

• Like 2

If you were a mother or a father who had brought you kids up nursing them, watching them grow, making sure they cleaned their teeth, took then to the dentist to give them the best possible chance to have good healthy teeth to see them through life, then someone comes along and in 1 second takes away all that,you would be so upset and peeved off.I feel for his parents.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, chookrat said:

Gut punches and open palm hits should be stamped out, hand out 1 week suspensions for the most mild impact and the hitting motion will cease. FWIW i dont think Gaff, Bugg or Houli meant to hit their opponents in the face but that the line blurs between body hits and head hits. Get rid of the action. 

I don't think that Houli and Bugg necessarily did - both were reckless, dangerous, but wild backward swings that hit their opponents hard - but Gaff was face on so how can you defend that as unintentional?

12 hours ago, Dee tention said:

Gaff will get 8 weeks if the AFL is fair dinkum...! That’s considering Gaffs good record. 10 weeks should be considered.

Serious and traumatic facial injury to Brayshaw and his season is dusted! 

Bugg gets 6 weeks and Mills plays the week after.

6 for the act plus more for the result.

11 hours ago, 4_Kent_Watts said:

Nothing different as to what Bugg did last year. 5 week minimum.

Very different - see  above.  Bug swung backwards, recklessly; Gaff hit him face on.

11 hours ago, rjay said:

That's a pretty decent advertisement for the order off rule...

I only saw the clip of the actual contact - was a free paid?  If not then the (blind) team of 9 maggots (apparently) didn't see it.

10 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Agreed. Gaff may now become the Hunted. 

May lose all his Mojo to play elite level. 

It is a serious hit. The media will be intense

Agree - this could break Gaff mentally.  Certainly not worth more that 50% of his previous asking price, and intense psychological assessment before anyone put a dollar on the table for him.

And, maybe Hamish should be allowed apply for special dispensation and get an immediate transfer to Melbourne (or even Freo) to get away from playing with his brother's assailant.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

One mistake shouldn't throw away 200 games without incident. Would love him at the club and i'm sure he will face the consequences like a man, like Bugg did.

• Like 6

Even before yesterday I have been consitently arguing that Gaff is superfluos to our needs( and throwing the Southern Stand at him is a waste).

We currently have ANB , who has improved enormously in the last year (and still has plenty of upside) . Harmes who is continually proving me wrong on my initial assessment of him.  Fritsch (fat Robbie) has shown enormous talent in his first year . Spargo, first year ,only 19.  Jayden Hunt has had a year to forget so has enormous upside.

Let us not forget , Dom Tyson is only 22 or 23 , and is still finding his way because we have too many midfielders. Remember at the start of the year some posters were in for trading Gus Brayshaw based on this argument. To Dom's credit he has shown a lot more flexibility in his game style since he has returned and it is starting to show.

Then we have Jack, Clarrie and Gus . With due respects to Jack, the midfield is working really well in the last few weeks and earlier in the season. He now needs to get himself right (hopefully) and not use himself as a human battering ram so much.

Have not mentioned Jesse & Trac ,whic just shows our current depth.

We need to be multiskilling Dom and Jack,as we are with Clarrie and Gus, then we are approaching a super middle sized group of players.

Team harmony seems absolutely great amongst this group (shown by the way they all hang it on Poor old Trac ) indicates they are gelling on and off the field. Sometimes seeking the perfect solution turns out not to be so.

Richmond have got where they are through a Team based approach with some icing on the top (O doubt whether some of the Toiges bottom six would be in out side . Footscray won a Premiership through genuine team ethics and approach.

We have got the structure, the personnel and are developing the will and the skills to succeed. 

• Love 1

14 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Agree - this could break Gaff mentally.  Certainly not worth more that 50% of his previous asking price, and intense psychological assessment before anyone put a dollar on the table for him.

If and when Gaff plays AFL again, he will be a marked man. Players and Coaches now know that he has a breaking point. 

Like Jim O’dea 46 years ago this will not be forgotten. What Tom Bugg did was bad, but nowhere near as bad as what happened yesterday. 

Gaff knew exactly where his fist was going to land. 

He may need a new career 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, furious d said:

Yep, got that one wrong, not on my pat Malone there.  Happy to admit it and in hindsight very very happy with the result. We pick Wines and Roos never comes and the club is probably still a mess. 

You on the other hand are pretty much always wrong. Even asking Jones to leave would be a monumental slap in the face. It would [censored] him off after he stuck with us through everything and the younger guys, esp Braysh,  would be being told that no matter how good a servant you are we’ll treat you like crap when it suits us. Loyalty is a two way street and your idea would ruin all the gains we’ve made to our culture in the last 5 years

We wouldn't ask Jones to leave. Fd. 

GCS would, and the AFL could with a proposal.  Which would also involve the Swans. 

Only after any interest was shown by Jonesy himself,,,   would Melbournefc be at the end of any talks.  

Again it does not start with this footy club,,, but with the AFL and the GCSuns...   Dewy may have totally different ideas.

So your comments above are totally irrelevant to this footy club.   Its all about the AFL,  and their biggest job in footy. 

And it would be a Huge feather in the footy Beanie of Nathan Jones,,,  to be considered for such an important AFL job.

11 minutes ago, dimmy said:

Even before yesterday I have been consitently arguing that Gaff is superfluos to our needs( and throwing the Southern Stand at him is a waste).

We currently have ANB , who has improved enormously in the last year (and still has plenty of upside) . Harmes who is continually proving me wrong on my initial assessment of him.  Fritsch (fat Robbie) has shown enormous talent in his first year . Spargo, first year ,only 19.  Jayden Hunt has had a year to forget so has enormous upside.

Let us not forget , Dom Tyson is only 22 or 23 , and is still finding his way because we have too many midfielders. Remember at the start of the year some posters were in for trading Gus Brayshaw based on this argument. To Dom's credit he has shown a lot more flexibility in his game style since he has returned and it is starting to show.

Then we have Jack, Clarrie and Gus . With due respects to Jack, the midfield is working really well in the last few weeks and earlier in the season. He now needs to get himself right (hopefully) and not use himself as a human battering ram so much.

Have not mentioned Jesse & Trac ,whic just shows our current depth.

We need to be multiskilling Dom and Jack,as we are with Clarrie and Gus, then we are approaching a super middle sized group of players.

Team harmony seems absolutely great amongst this group (shown by the way they all hang it on Poor old Trac ) indicates they are gelling on and off the field. Sometimes seeking the perfect solution turns out not to be so.

Richmond have got where they are through a Team based approach with some icing on the top (O doubt whether some of the Toiges bottom six would be in out side . Footscray won a Premiership through genuine team ethics and approach.

We have got the structure, the personnel and are developing the will and the skills to succeed. 

Nicely posited argument full of fascinating aspirations for Dees' fans. It does look like panning out, well. Enjoyed you commentary, dimmy. 

51 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Bugg actually got a lot more than 6 weeks - he hasn't played since

He did play a couple of senior games earlier in the season LH, but your point is still valid - since the incident he hasn't been the same player, nor has he been held in the same regard by the coaching staff.  Prior to punching Mills he was in good form and he's not really gotten close to reaching it again, apart from the 4 goals he kicked against Norf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, doc roet said:

If you were a mother or a father who had brought you kids up nursing them, watching them grow, making sure they cleaned their teeth, took then to the dentist to give them the best possible chance to have good healthy teeth to see them through life, then someone comes along and in 1 second takes away all that,you would be so upset and peeved off.I feel for his parents.

I have an 18 year old Son, the same age as Brayshaw.

Of course you'd be tremendously upset.  I'd condemn the act, but also acknowledge it was out of character and appreciate that these things can happen, as unfortunate as they are. 

He'll cop his penalty.  What else do people want ?

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

On the subject of getting Gaff at year's end, would we want to now? Not from a "we don't want those types of characters at our club" view point, but when Gaff does return to the field, just how much would this affect his game?

I get the impression that he is more on the introverted side of the scale, there'd be a good chance that when he returns he may be a shadow of what he has been due to being so shaken up by today's events.

I would be considering all of the above very closely, if i was part of the MFC Recruiters. His environment in the game has now changed. 

One thing's for sure, it's going to be compulsory viewing of the twitter feed of the tribunal as to what Gaffs lawyer comes up with.

Due to the outcome based adjudication in these cases, he's gone for the year. However the case put forward by the WCE lawyers will be instrumental in how Gaff is able to resurrect his image and continue to play footy.

It was bad and I feel terrible for Brayshaw but I'm adamant that Gaff isn't a thug.

It doesn't change my opinion that the MFC would benefit greatly from his services.

• Like 3

There is no doubt this will have a lasting effect on Gaff's image. To say that it won't do anything is just wrong. Can he come back from it, yes he can absolutely. But this will not be forgotten overnight.

Regardless of the fact that we are linked with him I like Gaff. He seems like a good young bloke from a good family and attended the same school as myself so I'm confident he's been brought up with good values. Unfortunately it counts for very little here, he has made a monumental mistake here that he is going to have to live with. In the age of YouTube people will pull out that footage in years time and go straight back to that reference point. 

He can get back from this but he has many rivers to cross to win the trust back. Some mistakes in life aren't easily forgotten. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

So brayshaw has a broken jaw 3 teeth that needed fixing and cannot eat solid foods for 4 weeks and his season is over. Gaff has to at least get more than bugg 

The most games West Coast can play for the remainder of the season is 7...     3  + 4 finals.

He should get 7 minimum and have no chance at returning this season.

• Like 1

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/clearly-it-is-an-assault-case-for-gaff-to-face-the-law-says-galbally-20180806-p4zvpv.html

Lots of talk about criminal charges for Gaff. It reinforces to me we can all have a moment of madness and what the consequences could be if you do.

8 minutes ago, Deevout said:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/clearly-it-is-an-assault-case-for-gaff-to-face-the-law-says-galbally-20180806-p4zvpv.html

Lots of talk about criminal charges for Gaff. It reinforces to me we can all have a moment of madness and what the consequences could be if you do.

Galbally talking about rubbing him out for a year???

Good Lord.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trevor Nisbett had some quite strong thoughts on this kind of incident earlier in the year...

"An amateur WA footballer has a broken jaw after an alleged behind-the-play strike that prompted West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett to call for thugs to be marched out of the game.

Mr Nisbett, whose two sons play in the WAAFL, said the Eagles sponsored the competition and expected games to be in the “right spirit”. Anyone who engaged in extreme violence should be deregistered.

“This is a dreadful incident for guys who just want to go and play and have some fun,” Mr Nisbett said.

“Guys don’t sign up for this and if you’re going to go outside the laws of the game, you should be punished with the maximum penalty.

“Enough is enough. This has been creeping in for a number of years. It’s not so much the number of incidents but their severity.”

...Awkward.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mondê said:

Trevor Nisbett had some quite strong thoughts on this kind of incident earlier in the year...

"An amateur WA footballer has a broken jaw after an alleged behind-the-play strike that prompted West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett to call for thugs to be marched out of the game.

Mr Nisbett, whose two sons play in the WAAFL, said the Eagles sponsored the competition and expected games to be in the “right spirit”. Anyone who engaged in extreme violence should be deregistered.

“This is a dreadful incident for guys who just want to go and play and have some fun,” Mr Nisbett said.

“Guys don’t sign up for this and if you’re going to go outside the laws of the game, you should be punished with the maximum penalty.

“Enough is enough. This has been creeping in for a number of years. It’s not so much the number of incidents but their severity.”

...Awkward.

Very....