• Podcast:      

Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

On 8/30/2018 at 2:05 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

Why do we have to close threads people don’t like?

Free Speech was an Australian birth right when i was growing up, now it is under serious threat. 

If you don’t like it....

Don't mean to derail this fine thread but we actually we don't have free speech in Australia. We do need it however.

14 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Don't mean to derail this fine thread but we actually we don't have free speech in Australia. We do need it however.

Yes you are right. But compared to parts of Asia where i have just been to, Australia does have “Free Speech” (as long as you don’t say too much)...!

• Like 1

Looking back at the start of this thread, some of the comments are pretty funny. They're a great illustration of supporter fickleness and impatience.

We have had a very successful year, now we are just waiting to see whether it's a credit, distinction or high distinction.

Regardless, 2019 and 2020 are looking great.

• Like 7
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Realistically it was the pass mark for 2017... one finals win is the pass mark for this year.

Will be very interested to observe Goodwin's coaching tactics under finals pressure.

Is that a cynical statement? (in all curiosity)

It's an interesting one,  clearly the last few matches at the 'G' the high press hasn't been as intense and it's worked really really well... 

My interest is whether he sticks to that (which is fair enough, as the evidence is that it works), OR - whether he/the FD pulls out something quite innovative - which wouldn't be out of character, just merely untested in finals... 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 5:48 PM, Dees2014 said:

Today’s performance was the most insipid since Neeld. For such a talented side it was inexcusable. Everything should now be questioned. 

Is Goodwin the right guy....

Hell... Yeah !!!

I suspect some on this thread will keep upping the 'pass' mark to a premiership this year, such is their determination to be proven correct that Goodwin is not the right man 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree that making finals is a pass mark. Having made finals by beating two top 8 teams in a row, with the pressure of needing to win to make finals, was an excellent achievement and Goodwin deserves a lot of credit for that.

I think if we get absolutely blown away on Friday, then the shine of making finals will be tarnished somewhat. A competitive game, regardless of the result, will be a good outcome and a very positive step towards next year. 

At the end of the day Goodwin got us to finals, which IMO he had to do in order to feel safe going into 2019. I want to see finals success next year, and a push into the top 4. I think we should realistically be aiming to win a flag from 2020 onwards, injury list permitting. 

6 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

I suspect some on this thread will keep upping the 'pass' mark to a premiership this year, such is their determination to be proven correct that Goodwin is not the right man 

That would be ridiculous. Not one supporter who is realistic and actually follows footy, should expect a young team with zero finals experience to win a flag on the back of its first finals appearance.

We absolutely needed to make finals, as our list is 100% talented enough to do so. To finish 5th was really good and a competitive game against Geelong is all I would really expect to call this year a success. I just hope we don't get absolutely smashed, as that would be a super disappointed way to finish a good season. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Jaded said:

That would be ridiculous. Not one supporter who is realistic and actually follows footy, should expect a young team with zero finals experience to win a flag on the back of its first finals appearance.

We absolutely needed to make finals, as our list is 100% talented enough to do so. To finish 5th was really good and a competitive game against Geelong is all I would really expect to call this year a success. I just hope we don't get absolutely smashed, as that would be a super disappointed way to finish a good season. 

I would agree with this. Trying very hard to temper expectations as all this talk of potentially running the table is a bit warped. To put in a real competitive performance gives us a nice launch pad for next season. To win a final would be a big success.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

I suspect 90%+ of supporters had finals as a pass mark particularly given the talent on the list. Everything from here is a bonus. Where was your pass mark Moonie?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Free speech is not specified in our constitution, however it is in some ways implied (i.e. freedom of political communication) 

Source - Juris Doctor wife 

• Like 1

I feel as though Friday night is a free hit. I also feel we're slightly unlucky playing 8th place Geelong who potentially have the biggest upside of every finalist.

We've already reached Goodwin's and our major KPI of making the finals. Very good effort from a second year young coach, aside from the occasional slip up.

The future looks every solid with none of our best players retiring any time soon (unless you consider Jones one our best?)

However, a finals win next year would be a bare minimum if we don't win this week..

53 minutes ago, FarNorthernD said:

I suspect 90%+ of supporters had finals as a pass mark particularly given the talent on the list. Everything from here is a bonus. Where was your pass mark Moonie?

At start of year I thought winning at least 1 final was a pass, but I'm not a black and white kind of person, so even making the finals is great IMO.

At the end if the day, I can see significant improvement this season and believe the players and Goodwin are learning steadily and growing as a group. With Lever, Hogan and Viney fresh for round 1, and barring injury catastrophies, I expect top 4 by round 23, 2019.

• Like 4

This year is so even and we are leading so many stats/metrics that we will be kicking ourselves if the team doesn't go deep.

I get it's all new but sometimes that is a blessing along the nothing to lose variety. Geelong have a lot to lose and would view it as a wasted year if they were bundled out. Particularly given the 'holy trinity' BS......

• Like 1
  • Love 1

At the start of the year I thought making second week of finals was par. Last year we should've made finals so thus year we should go at least a step further

That doesn't mean to say if we don't meet that goal we will have failed or that Goodwin / the team is no good. Making finals was a must and we did it (finishing 5th to boot - we didn't just fall or sneak in).

I'll be interested to see how we go. We really should beat the Cats well, we should've beaten them the first time and should've won by at least 5 goals the second time. If we lose its not the end of the world and I'll be champing at the bit waiting for 2019.

• Like 2

Quite a few posters might want to go back and heavily edit their comments on this thread. Looking very silly now.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Talking of pass marks doesn't really jive with me.

I'm not in the category of if there is no flag then we tear the club apart or that you can't take some positives out of the year.

We have a great opportunity before us right now. I have seen two separate eras where we have been told that 'not winning this year isn't a huge loss as we are still young'. 

Those second cracks never came around again.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Quite a few posters might want to go back and heavily edit their comments on this thread. Looking very silly now.

Surely, people/posters are allowed to have opinions based on their view of current evidence right, and then update it due to current evidence provided along the way... That's the scientific way... 

It's not like any of us take the opinions of others on this website all that seriously... right? right! right??

Edited by Danelska

On 4/15/2018 at 6:36 PM, Adzman said:

Get Goodwin the F out the door now!!

He has lost the playing group, and I'm not sitting though another 5 year rebuild so cut him now and find someone who can lead this group.

On 4/15/2018 at 5:52 PM, Age said:

He is not. He has a game plan that I know the players don’t believe in. Look at the last quarter. They have actually given up. 

On 4/15/2018 at 6:36 PM, Adzman said:

Get Goodwin the F out the door now!!

He has lost the playing group, and I'm not sitting though another 5 year rebuild so cut him now and find someone who can lead this group.

These posts need to shown again just to show how ridiculous they are. Adzman i thought I would show yours twice just to give you a thrill. Age after watching all games this year I can the players have no belief in Goodwin at all because I believe everything you post.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Talking of pass marks doesn't really jive with me.

I'm not in the category of if there is no flag then we tear the club apart or that you can't take some positives out of the year.

We have a great opportunity before us right now. I have seen two separate eras where we have been told that 'not winning this year isn't a huge loss as we are still young'. 

Those second cracks never came around again.

I know what you are saying; this year is so open and I dont see any game we would play as a game we wouldn’t have a huge chance in before getting to the Tigers in the GF. Hawthorn, WCE or Coll hold no fears for me.

Why not this year?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Is Goodwin the right guy yet?

Wonder if the Hawthorn supporter site still has the “Is Clarkson the right guy?” thread from 2005 and 2006 when they finished 14th and 11th.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

Wonder if the Hawthorn supporter site still has the “Is Clarkson the right guy?” thread from 2005 and 2006 when they finished 14th and 11th.

Haha, there’s no way a thread like that can’t exist!