Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

Recommended Posts

He just comes across as so damned uninspiring 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ProDee said:

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here when I suggest that not one nuffie who has posted on this thread knows whether Goodwin can coach. or not.

That said, his team is a reflection of him and it was a bad day in the office.  If it was dry I reckon the Dees win.  Their wet weather footy was pathetic.  And how that ****  Bugg gets a game is beyond me.  I have an unhealthy hate for that ****.  While I'm at it, Harmes, Melksham and a few others can you know what.

I also recognise that every coach in history has had nuffies call for their head.  Early days Clarkson had it, Bomber Thompson had it, and virtually his entire coaching career Hardwicke has had it. It comes with the territory.    

Nuffies are going to nuff.

In 26 games he's had more wins than losses, so I'll cut a young coach some slack in round 4.

Hardwick had 8 or so years in which he made the finals once or twice.... If that is your measure of success MFC will be well and truly needing life support by then.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here when I suggest that not one nuffie who has posted on this thread knows whether Goodwin can coach. or not.

That said, his team is a reflection of him and it was a bad day in the office.  If it was dry I reckon the Dees win.  Their wet weather footy was pathetic.  And how that ****  Bugg gets a game is beyond me.  I have an unhealthy hate for that ****.  While I'm at it, Harmes, Melksham and a few others can you know what.

I also recognise that every coach in history has had nuffies call for their head.  Early days Clarkson had it, Bomber Thompson had it, and virtually his entire coaching career Hardwicke has had it. It comes with the territory.    

Nuffies are going to nuff.

In 26 games he's had more wins than losses, so I'll cut a young coach some slack in round 4.

I understand your point, but does the game plan concern you? Do you think we are getting the most out of our players? Do you think team selection has been poor? 

Maybe Goodwin can coach, but I’m struggling to see it. I genuinely hope I am wrong. I want nothing more than for him to win us a flag!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Hardwick had 8 or so years in which he made the finals once or twice.... If that is your measure of success MFC will be well and truly needing life support by then.

Nuffie no.1.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Hardwick had 8 or so years in which he made the finals once or twice.... If that is your measure of success MFC will be well and truly needing life support by then.

Yep. The membership or sponsors won’t grow with insipid garbage like today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gipsy Danger said:

The last shot of him, on tv, in box with a couple of minutes to go, I swear he was just looking on his phone

seek.com no doubt

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ProDee said:

Nuffie no.1.

You seem a most dismissive sort

What's your metric then ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Sorry Wise, no offence,

None taken, especially after our performance today.  I get why this question is being asked.  We as supporters are well within our rights to expect better of the club at this point in time.  Nobody, even those who thought the Hawks would win, would have predicted this outcome today.  To get rolled by 10 goals is embarrassing to say the least.

As ProDee mentioned above, Goodwin has still won more games than he's lost as a senior coach and that's telling.  It's just his second year in charge of the side and I think he still deserves more time, even though we as Melbourne supporters have given enough time in the last decade.

At this point in time I still think he's the man for the job, but he's got some serious work ahead of him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sack him now...

Don't be a Collingwood.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jaded said:

I understand your point, but does the game plan concern you? Do you think we are getting the most out of our players? Do you think team selection has been poor? 

Maybe Goodwin can coach, but I’m struggling to see it. I genuinely hope I am wrong. I want nothing more than for him to win us a flag!

Seeing I hate that **** Bugg I'm not overly rapt.

We looked slow, so I'd have Hannan and Hunt in and that **** Bugg and some other fumbler out.

It wasn't a day for talls, so I'm not concerned by Weideman being held off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

As has been often reported and noted here, he gets on well with players and staff. Fair call. But is he an effective match-day coach? On the evidence at hand, clearly not. Either he doesn't take advice, turns a deaf ear to it or has poor support. My worry is that Goodwin is almost manic about being an AFL coach. It's all about him proving himself to himself given his chequered background.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dees2014 said:

For such a talented side

That's where your problems start straight away.

Stop kidding yourself.

Potential talent, maybe, but talented? Not yet, and not by a long way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

always playing the man mate... get a life

You're singling out Goodwin and I'm singling out a nuffie.

I see no difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

None taken, especially after our performance today.  I get why this question is being asked.  We as supporters are well within our rights to expect better of the club at this point in time.  Nobody, even those who thought the Hawks would win, would have predicted this outcome today.  To get rolled by 10 goals is embarrassing to say the least.

As ProDee mentioned above, Goodwin has still won more games than he's lost as a senior coach and that's telling.  It's just his second year in charge of the side and I think he still deserves more time, even though we as Melbourne supporters have given enough time in the last decade.

At this point in time I still think he's the man for the job, but he's got some serious work ahead of him.

What worries me the most, is that we all knew it was going to be a cold wet windy day, so there is no excuse to be so outplayed. 

To kick the first 3-4 and then give up is not on. 

If this was 2016 i would agree with your above post, but we are now 2 years forward of that, for no gains. 

If we are to play September, it’s the scum Whorethorns we have to kill. 

They have killed us so many times since i was in Primary School, so many times. 

I have now retired from work after a 31 year stint, and the Fabric of this club HAS NOT CHANGED....

It’s why we never get a good run on TV

we can never be trusted. 

Bartlett has a big week ahead of him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ProDee said:

You're singling out Goodwin and I'm singling out a nuffie.

I see no difference.

You often predicate your comments by direct attack upon fellow posters.... the subject matter is Goodwin

Sorry I have no wish to discuss it further with you.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bing181 said:

That's where your problems start straight away.

Stop kidding yourself.

Potential talent, maybe, but talented? Not yet, and not by a long way.

Correct. They have achieved nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

You often predicate your comments by direct attack upon fellow posters.... the subject matter is Goodwin

Sorry I have no wish to discuss it further with you.

 

You're attacking Goodwin and I'm referencing a nuffie.

I see no difference.

I have no wish to discuss it further with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Do you think we are getting the most out of our players?

Yes.

That's about as good as many of them are at this stage. You can't build a team around players in the 30 - 60 game range and expect them to perform every single week, nor all perform together every week. Even Gawn has only 78 games.

Not one of our key position players or key mids has more than 100 games. Meanwhile ... Roughhead: 257 games. We lack consistency and we lack composure, especially with our on-ballers and KP players, which is characteristic of a lack of experience (you can perform well, but not under all circumstances or regularly).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year I thought Goody made moves, threw things around and tried to win games,  now I have no confidence in what he is doing. The game plan seems exactly the same as last year but teams have worked it out, first quarter Hogan is dominating, next quarter he is stuck in the goal square. 

He sat Max on the bench for a ridiculously long time as the momentum swung to the Hawks. 

Did not rectify the inability of our players adapting to the wet. 

Oir back line has declined majorly, constant selecting of players who can’t kick simple goals.

Over handballing and handballs that go one meter and just put that player under the pressure. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was badly out coached today. Players looked confused. Every game this year, I have said in the game day thread that I question his coaching ability.

I'm concerned, I don't think we're in trouble yet. But I'm not convinced, and we're still yet to turn the corner, year 5 into the Roos rebuild.

Some perspective: Richmond were 5-3 last year including an 80 point loss to Adelaide. So that is food for thought. 

That said there were some really concerning signs today. Yes we have talent. But we are not a very good team, we're still average at best. We can't even really pump sides. We never put the foot to the throat.

Hawthorn gave us a football lesson today, and Clarkson gave Goodwin an absolute towelling. It's either indicative of where we're at as a team, or it's an anomaly. Given Goodwin's coaching performance, I think the former is more likely. The unfortunate thing is that just as we enter into the premiership window, we find ourselves with a coach still finding his feet. I'm far from convinced we'll play finals this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gee wiz, it wasn't long ago that the simpletons were asking Paul Roos to exit one year early, because we couldn't wait for Goody to get in quick enough.

 

Who were the wise heads around him that decided on getting Jordan; selling the farm for Lever in a super-draft; letting Jack Viney decide to get back after leaving theatre.  Who were the wise heads around him that thought no medicos at camp one was a great idea.  These are the decisions that will kill us, rather than what tricks Goody can come up with on match day.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very worrying , worrying times .

looking completely rudderless . 

Hope Baldrick has a cunning plan in mind going forward ! It looks completely inept from where I’m sitting on the couch  !

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, praha said:

He was badly out coached today. Players looked confused. Every game this year, I have said in the game day thread that I question his coaching ability.

I'm concerned, I don't think we're in trouble yet. But I'm not convinced, and we're still yet to turn the corner, year 5 into the Roos rebuild.

Some perspective: Richmond were 5-3 last year including an 80 point loss to Adelaide. So that is food for thought. 

That said there were some really concerning signs today. Yes we have talent. But we are not a very good team, we're still average at best. We can't even really pump sides. We never put the foot to the throat.

Hawthorn gave us a football lesson today, and Clarkson gave Goodwin an absolute towelling. It's either indicative of where we're at as a team, or it's an anomaly. Given Goodwin's coaching performance, I think the former is more likely. The unfortunate thing is that just as we enter into the premiership window, we find ourselves with a coach still finding his feet. I'm far from convinced we'll play finals this year.

What Premiership Window?

that only occurs with hard work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by the Oracle

    Thankfully they moved this week’s game from Sydney where the sun shines and the virus breeds ever so slowly and almost nobody returns a positive test. The change of fixture comes at precisely the right time to allow everyone in town to head to the MCG on Sunday at around 3:30pm, not to catch up with what’s going on inside the ground but rather, to do what’s fashionable for woke folk in 2020 — pulling down statues. It’s time for Kevin Bartlett and Leigh Matthews to go but you can’t touch Norm Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LESSONS IN LOSING by George on the Outer

    Turn up for the game and look like you want to win it.  Melbourne lost this game to Geelong, a game after a couple of extended breaks, looking like they were at the end of a 22 game season. Right from the start there was a lack of intensity across the board, as the Demons played exactly the type of game that the ageing Geelong list wanted. Geelong repeatedly played possession footy, to avoid having to run those ageing legs, something that Melbourne failed to exploit.  To use the oft quot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    QUARRANTINO by Whispering Jack

    At a little after 4.00pm last Saturday, the MCG ceased to be the centre of the AFL universe. That was when the AFL’s el supremo Gil McLaughlin announced that the Bombers’ Conor McKenna had returned a COVID-19 positive result and declared that the game set for the following day between Essendon and Melbourne was postponed.  What followed was truly the stuff of a pulp fiction novel. We witnessed a suitcase load of mental gymnastics and spin calculated to let McKenna (and the Essendon Football

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHADDA WE SING? by Whispering Jack

    When the Melbourne team sang “The Grand Old Flag” last Saturday at Marvel Stadium in the absence of skipper Max Gawn, Ed Langford and Adam Tomlinson who were first time winners at their new club and Jayden Hunt, the leading goal kicker of the day it was passed off as an honest mistake. Taken in isolation, it most probably was accidental but the problem is that little accidents have been happening far too often in the club’s recent history and, in this case, it was symptomatic not only of a day t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A POINT OF DIFFERENCE by George on the Outer

    It was Melbourne v Carlton at the comics stadium; a game between 16 and 17 in 2019. How could anyone pick a winner?  There had to be a point of difference, and so it would prove to be as the Demons literally fell over the line at the end, by a solitary point. In an almost complete replica of the Richmond v Collingwood game two nights previously, one of the sides (Melbourne in this case) rushed out to a five goal lead in the first quarter, while the Blues failed to bother the goal umpir

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EXPOSED FORM by The Oracle

    Carlton fancies itself to beat Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Saturday and, based on exposed form, why not? The Blues took it right up to the reigning premiers in their last up start and the Demons were simply horrible against the Eagles at Optus Stadium. That opening game of the season revived all of the nightmares of 2019 for a team that went inside the 50 metre arc 45 times, an advantage of 10 times over the home side and yet lost by almost five goals. Such statistics sum it up for a gam

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...