• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

Is Goodwin the right guy....

Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy?  

228 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

throwing it out there... with finals essentially assured, this helps with planning.

Perhaps they’ve been doing a hard block of aerobic training, so more fatigued for this particular game, rather than having it easy for 10 days...which will continue over the next fortnight.

Which fits into a bigger picture of tapering before the finals in 12 weeks  

Just sayin... (not mine, just something i sourced of the net) volume and intensity looks pretty high right now if you’re to use it as a guide as to what may be occurring behind the scenes in training. when you ‘know’ you’re in for finals, so to speak

6D163962-A0E5-4FF2-9E16-657AAF636048.png

So if you’re doing a particular hard block of training, it’s more than likely not an attitude thing.

the team looked flat from the word go...  but there is 3 months of evidence that they are a professional and hungry unit who have delivered against high quality teams. 

so in my mind it wasn’t ‘attitude’ per se - something else is going on

if you’ve got a bye coming up and some teams at the lower end of the ladder - If you were Burgess,  and has to plan, where would you put the hard training block in? 

let me digress to Geelong and how they often lose after a bye - when they’ve got x amount of games at kardinia park - near certainties to make finals annually.

Just might be some correlation to training loads and intensity in preparation for finals - and how it interplay’s with game day fatigue 

Edited by Engorged Onion

Let the football retards keep posting in this thread. They've been given the chance to back-out, and the longer they go on then the more their public humiliation and ridicule in this forum. I'm just sad that in the aftermath of our flag celebrations that I'll feel inclined to publicly shame them all for their hypocrisy, rather than just basking in the glow. But I won't forget, and at every chance possible will remind them that their joy is tainted. Remember that time we won a flag after 60 years, but wouldn't have if you had your big sooky way? Hang your head in shame. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

it is extremely odd that Harmes wouldn't be given a tagging job. all devout dees fans know that Harmes plays his best footy when given this role. And when Harmes plays well, we 're better for it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Skuit said:

Let the football retards keep posting in this thread. They've been given the chance to back-out, and the longer they go on then the more their public humiliation and ridicule in this forum. I'm just sad that in the aftermath of our flag celebrations that I'll feel inclined to publicly shame them all for their hypocrisy, rather than just basking in the glow. But I won't forget, and at every chance possible will remind them that their joy is tainted. Remember that time we won a flag after 60 years, but wouldn't have if you had your big sooky way? Hang your head in shame. 

Charming

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

On 4/24/2021 at 10:48 PM, Nasher said:

Rubbish. If you’re prepared to hold him to account when things are going badly, you need to give him credit when things are going well. Otherwise just you’re twisting reality to suit your agenda.

I know this is an old post.

But what are your thoughts on the fact that in 2018, Goodwin had a host of coaches who supported him in the box and bench. The following year, most of them were gone. Including Jennings who reportedly butted heads with Goody in regards to our game plan.

We are now back at the top of the ladder except this time we have Yze in the coaches box as well as Mark Williams and Richo in support roles

I think Goodwin deserves credit. But for how much of our turnaround? Too hard to tell given the events that taken place. But if you look at who has or hasn't been there during our good/bad years, it would be silly to give Goodwin too much credit.

This is especially the case when you listen to people like Jennings speak about his time with us and hear about Yze's impact and skill as a coach.

People keep forgetting that in the second half of last season, we were more than competitive and if we hadn’t had the disastrous two matches in Cairns, we would have made the finals. Williams and Yze weren’t there then.

The players did look a little bit flat yesterday in general, which is a shame, but it does happen, i don't think it's an indicator of any sort of bigger problem though, potentially as others have mentioned there is some forward planning going on now as well. 

I think it's pretty common when you've got two huge games in a row against fellow flag contenders that you really set yourself for, to slip up in a game you're heavy favourites after that. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

People keep forgetting that in the second half of last season, we were more than competitive and if we hadn’t had the disastrous two matches in Cairns, we would have made the finals. Williams and Yze weren’t there then.

But we did have those two weeks, like we did cost ourselves chances years prior with late losses. That’s the problem its an on going thing. We have never been ruthless. We never decapitate teams across a season. Oh we will win and the occasional belting but ruthless we ain’t. 
Ruthless, strong teams don’t lose those games.

12 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Simply outcoached by Buckley and Harvey today.  

How to beat Melbourne? 

1- run and overlap to break the zone 

2- because MFC play a zone, you have free targets. Skill by foot will break the zone 

3- lower the eyes with inside 50 entries 

Goodwin needed to switch to plan B and man up their loose ball winners. They used Maynard and DEGOEY. 65 possessions between these two who controlled a lot of forward transition. 

Wake up call today.  Others will see the pies today and see how to break our zone.  

The above all come down to pressure and work rate which was well done.

2nd time this season we had an ave speed in attack greater then in defence for 2 losses which is defensive running and workrate.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

The players did look a little bit flat yesterday in general, which is a shame, but it does happen, i don't think it's an indicator of any sort of bigger problem though, potentially as others have mentioned there is some forward planning going on now as well. 

I think it's pretty common when you've got two huge games in a row against fellow flag contenders that you really set yourself for, to slip up in a game you're heavy favourites after that. 

Of course, 10 days to prepare for a Marquee stand alone game against a long standing rival.

Totally understandable .

4 hours ago, Ollie fan said:

You can't dismiss the Cairns games.  We did play the Cairns games. And with EVERYTHING on the line, we dished up utter trash. It's the big reason why Goodwin deserved the chop if not for his long contract. And you're correct, Williams and Yze weren't there. 

2 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Of course, 10 days to prepare for a Marquee stand alone game against a long standing rival.

Totally understandable .

No team is up every single week of the year, it's not realistic, and we set ourselves bigtime for the dogs and Lions. it makes complete sense if your expectations of the team are grounded in reality. 

we were clearly flat, and the Pies extremely good, it happens. i don't think anyone thinks the result was a reflection of where we are at as a club, or any sort of serious concerns moving forward outside of the form of a couple of individual players. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

No team is up every single week of the year, it's not realistic, and we set ourselves bigtime for the dogs and Lions. it makes complete sense if your expectations of the team are grounded in reality. 

we were clearly flat, and the Pies extremely good, it happens. i don't think anyone thinks the result was a reflection of where we are at as a club, or any sort of serious concerns moving forward outside of the form of a couple of individual players. 

Quite right.

4 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I'm sorry mate but this is putting your head in the sand. The game was highly concerning and shows the mental fragility of the entire club and playing group. When I say fragility, I mean a lack of ability to remain focussed. Every devout dees fans should be nervous every game that we play because we've shown to have a soft under belly and if we're not on, we play one of the most unaccountable brands of footy known to man. We've shown it 3 times against bad teams this year. that's 25% of our matches. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

I'm sorry mate but this is putting your head in the sand. The game was highly concerning and shows the mental fragility of the entire club and playing group. When I say fragility, I mean a lack of ability to remain focussed. Every devout dees fans should be nervous every game that we play because we've shown to have a soft under belly and if we're not on, we play one of the most unaccountable brands of footy known to man. We've shown it 3 times against bad teams this year. that's 25% of our matches. 

[censored] hell you seriously carry one. 

You were only saying the other day that the only reason for the good form this season was because of the work of Williams and Yze and not so much Goodwin. 

Are you now pointing the finger for yesterday's loss at Choco and Yze, or is it still Goodys fault?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dr.D said:

Lets go through this so we're clear. 

• we've lost 2 games for the year, by a total of 17 points, both games to bottom 8 sides, and both losses more to do with us and them
  • we've beaten every top 8 side bar West Coast, every other top 4 side and we've won 11/13 total. 
  • we're clear on top of the ladder with a strong % 
  • we've got comfortably the best defense in the competition (universally recognised) 

This shows that we're incredibly focused, determined, well lead and mentally strong, we win even when we aren't playing our best more often than not, and we've shown a capacity to change the course of games, in game (which is 100% leadership) 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Dwight Schrute said:

Lets go through this so we're clear. 

• we've lost 2 games for the year, by a total of 17 points, both games to bottom 8 sides, and both losses more to do with us and them
  • we've beaten every top 8 side bar West Coast, every other top 4 side and we've won 11/13 total. 
  • we're clear on top of the ladder with a strong % 
  • we've got comfortably the best defense in the competition (universally recognised) 

This shows that we're incredibly focused, determined, well lead and mentally strong, we win even when we aren't playing our best more often than not, and we've shown a capacity to change the course of games, in game (which is 100% leadership) 

You may be wasting your time replying to Dr. D, I think he has a "I hate Goodwin" obsession.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

[censored] hell you seriously carry one. 

You were only saying the other day that the only reason for the good form this season was because of the work of Williams and Yze and not so much Goodwin. 

Are you now pointing the finger for yesterday's loss at Choco and Yze, or is it still Goodys fault?

Exactly. I'm not saying that Goodwin's perfect but I'm amazed by how quick some people are to point their fingers at him for yesterday's performance. Our loss was a direct result of a lack of effort and concentration from our players, not the coaching staff.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hopeful Demon said:

Exactly. I'm not saying that Goodwin's perfect but I'm amazed by how quick some people are to point their fingers at him for yesterday's performance. Our loss was a direct result of a lack of effort and concentration from our players, not the coaching staff.

I also think just think because they are bottom 4 side that automatically means it's a win? The competition is as hard as ever and every single win bloody counts regardless of the opposition. Collingwood were so close to knocking off Geelong and Port Adelaide. They've had a dip in form for the year but they've still got quality talent on their list.

What is also going to be noticeable is teams will absolutely go to town on us now and use the pies and Crows game as a benchmark in beating us. Opposition coaches are doing more opposition analysis then ever before and its quite evident that past 4 weeks has shown that.

We were beaten all over the ground and we need to accept that those losses will come again this year. Ask any AFL coach right now, and they'll tell you there is simply no such thing as a perfect season.

Frustrating as hell with the loss personally,  but I still have great trust,  and have seen enough that our system can hold up with the best in the competition.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 5

How precious some are here to think they are entitled to a Melbourne season where we are 100% on our game every week and never register a loss

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I also think just think because they are bottom 4 side that automatically means it's a win? The competition is as hard as ever and every single win bloody counts regardless of the opposition. Collingwood were so close to knocking off Geelong and Port Adelaide. They've had a dip in form for the year but they've still got quality talent on their list.

What is also going to be noticeable is teams will absolutely go to down on us now and use the pies and Crows game as a benchmark in beating us. Opposition coaches are doing more opposition analysis then ever before and its quite evident that past 4 weeks has shown that.

We were beaten all over the ground and we need to accept that those losses will come again this year. Ask any AFL coach right now, and they'll tell you there is simply no such thing as a perfect season.

Frustrating as hell with the loss personally,  but I still have great trust,  and have seen enough that our system can hold up with the best in the competition.

Yep. I also don't understand why people are using our loss against Adelaide as a reason to believe that we're suddenly going to drop off in the second half of the year. Adelaide have shown that when they perform at their best they're capable of knocking off any team in the competition. After all, they have beaten two of the top 3 sides. Even Hawthorne showed last Friday that they can beat a top 4 contender when they're fully switched on. It just shows that you're not always guaranteed to win when you're playing a team that's low on the ladder.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Ruthless, strong teams don’t lose those games.

Last year Richmond lost to Hawthorn. The year before they lost to North and Adelaide in consecutive weeks. The year before that they lost to Adelaide again (who were a bottom 8 team). The year before that the lost to a terrible Freo at home, Bulldogs and St Kilda. 

That's the team that has won 3 of the last 4 flags. 

Are they not a 'ruthless, strong team?'

I bet there were a few posters bumping their 'Is Hardwick the right guy?' thread after each of those losses. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Grimes Times said:

The above all come down to pressure and work rate which was well done.

2nd time this season we had an ave speed in attack greater then in defence for 2 losses which is defensive running and workrate.

Plus the Pies unpicked our greatest strength - May/Lever duo.

Hard low kicks into the forward line nullified their strengths.

This isn't an original idea, esp against McGovern at the Eagles and could be our achilles heel if executed by oppo teams. To date most have been unable to do it.

6 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Charming

My apologies to you jnrmac and to anyone who I might have offended with my choice of language. 

On another note, when was a kid I used to attend the football at Adelaide Oval with a language professor (the inspiration for my future career) who once yelled out regarding a holding the ball decision that the player was retarded, as in tightly held and so wasn't able to release the ball. Unfortunately, the Crows' cheer squad, which at the time had a high profile member with down syndrome, didn't take too kindly to his use of language and we were nearly kicked out. Highly amusing in hindsight that the professor had to struggle to explain to the security guard what 'retarded' actually meant in English. I thought Darren Bennet had kicked 7 goals that day, but there's no record of it so obviously my memory is complete rubbish, which I've always readily accepted. 

• Haha 1