• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

Is Goodwin the right guy?  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

38 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Are you saying we don't suck at the MCG under Goodwin?  

Your'e right -we do.

I remember at one stage under Neale D we won 13 straight games at the G or similiar to that number. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rubbish. If you’re prepared to hold him to account when things are going badly, you need to give him credit when things are going well. Otherwise just you’re twisting reality to suit your agenda.

Only 3 clubs have clocked an average running speed quicker in defence than in attack for both games. Richmond WB and Melbounre. We are running harder defensively than we have previous season

Posted Images

Goes without saying this Rd 1 gane is massive for us an Goodwin. If we turn up and show like we did 2 years ago against Port then forget it. I want to see a team that has been hungry all pre season to burst the gate and play like junkyard dogs. Too often we've just whiffed on the big occasion.

• Like 1

Ok, I'll buy into this a couple of facts IMO

1 We still, STILL after all the years of bemoaning the very FACT that at kick outs we cannot generate a clear target. Last Monday I witnessed kick ins from full back being BOMBED to a pack. Why can every other team get this right find a lose man and we seamingly cannot.

2 FACT after so many years bemoaning the entries into the forward line we still BOMBED IT long more times than not last week. This has been going on for an eternity.

3 FACT we cannot play so many slow players in the twilight of careers and or younger players that are likewise.

4 FACT our tackles dont stick

5 FACT We go to sleep far two many times which inevitably loses us games as other teams get a run on

6 I reckon Mark Mc Lure is right on the money. I also think it was a huge mistake getting rid of Macca as assistant coach, we need more hard as nails tell it like it is types at Dees. 

My opinion is I reckon alarm bells are ringing already, We might win round 1 but what the bet we capitulate in round 2 vs Saints?

For me the coach I would like next if Goody fails is Ross Lyon, as astute a thinker and innovator football person as there is. Two Grand Finals , almost won both, that's good enough for me at this stage

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Dante said:

So what's the verdict? I haven't read the thread and don't intend to, so if someone who's been following it can give me general summary, I'd appreciate it.

Depends on the match that just ended.

The Poll 'Is Simon Goodwin the right guy?' has it at 

Yes - 25 Votes

No - 98 Votess

I can see us being 1-5 with brutally tough games against St Kilda (Marvel), GWS (Canberra), Geelong and Richmond. Hawthorn and Fremantle will also be challenging  and given we have a clear inability to play 4 quarters I fear we'll lose to one of those as well.

I know it won't happen but could we possible make finals with a care taker coach such as Mark Williams or Alan Richardson (bad example) if Goodwin is gone early enough to mathematically salvage the season, say after round 1 or 2?

I know we had a few out on Monday, but as Gerard Whateley described it on AFL 360 - "it was a sobering performance". All our flaws, chiefly the opposition playing with us for a quarter of football to decide the game, were back on display. The game perfectly summarised Goodwin's coaching since round 1 2019 - have a crack for 2 to 3 quarters and you know the rest. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, brendan said:

If we lose round 1 the media sharks will smell blood in the water, they would be itching for a coach sacking 

They already smell it. They've got the bingo cards ready for the post match press conference. "Learnings", "ruthless", a few other Goodwin/MFC buzzwords that get trotted out, plus some terrifying new ones, like "Oliver re-signing".

1 hour ago, KingDingAling said:

Whatever Goodwin is trying to achieve, the players don’t play as though they are all buying in. 

They might think they do, but subconsciously, all that effort they put in (which they do) and where's the result? They can & do spend 120 minutes running around frantically attacking the ball and the scoreboard says they lost by 6 goals. Every win costs blood and we never get an easy win. Our "easy" wins end in us fending off a late opposition surge to win by 5 points instead of 8 goals. Why wouldn't they have doubts?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Ok, I'll buy into this a couple of facts IMO

1 We still, STILL after all the years of bemoaning the very FACT that at kick outs we cannot generate a clear target. Last Monday I witnessed kick ins from full back being BOMBED to a pack. Why can every other team get this right find a lose man and we seamingly cannot.

2 FACT after so many years bemoaning the entries into the forward line we still BOMBED IT long more times than not last week. This has been going on for an eternity.

3 FACT we cannot play so many slow players in the twilight of careers and or younger players that are likewise.

4 FACT our tackles dont stick

5 FACT We go to sleep far two many times which inevitably loses us games as other teams get a run on

6 I reckon Mark Mc Lure is right on the money. I also think it was a huge mistake getting rid of Macca as assistant coach, we need more hard as nails tell it like it is types at Dees. 

My opinion is I reckon alarm bells are ringing already, We might win round 1 but what the bet we capitulate in round 2 vs Saints?

For me the coach I would like next if Goody fails is Ross Lyon, as astute a thinker and innovator football person as there is. Two Grand Finals , almost won both, that's good enough for me at this stage

Or M Williams,he has won a GF.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

Or M Williams,he has won a GF.

Yep as well

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I can see us being 1-5 with brutally tough games against St Kilda (Marvel), GWS (Canberra), Geelong and Richmond. Hawthorn and Fremantle will also be challenging  and given we have a clear inability to play 4 quarters I fear we'll lose to one of those as well.

I know it won't happen but could we possible make finals with a care taker coach such as Mark Williams or Alan Richardson (bad example) if Goodwin is gone early enough to mathematically salvage the season, say after round 1 or 2?

I know we had a few out on Monday, but as Gerard Whateley described it on AFL 360 - "it was a sobering performance". All our flaws, chiefly the opposition playing with us for a quarter of football to decide the game, were back on display. The game perfectly summarised Goodwin's coaching since round 1 2019 - have a crack for 2 to 3 quarters and you know the rest. 

At the same time, whilst agreeing with your overall comments, I really do have faith in the coaching (imparting thereof the improving strategies, execution and development of footy skills and attitudes) that can be provided with a dual head coaching system comprised of Yze and Chocko, and I would slot Jordan Lewis into that mix, as well. 

My biggest issue with the guy and something that grinds my gears is his body language. When we are behind, he looks defeated. 
On the weekend he sat on the bench and when the camera was on in the last 2 Qtrs, barely spoke to the players on the bench. No coaching, no mentoring, no encouragement, no interest. 
Fagan on the other hand is animated, engaged and genuinely caring.

Goodwin is a wet flapping fish. 
He won’t make it, will he gone by the bye is my call. 

• Like 4
27 minutes ago, SPC said:

My biggest issue with the guy and something that grinds my gears is his body language. When we are behind, he looks defeated. 
On the weekend he sat on the bench and when the camera was on in the last 2 Qtrs, barely spoke to the players on the bench. No coaching, no mentoring, no encouragement, no interest. 

See I disagree with this.

Last year I saw he more animated then ever when he coached from the bench. How do we know that he wasn't animated throughout the game? the camera was on him for literally 5  seconds. Maybe go sit near the bench on gameday and you might see a different perspective. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Jeez, we lose a practice game without our midfield and you lot sell the farm. Whilst I think we’ll struggle without Brown and Weideman I’m still positive for a top 4 finish 

I just spilt my wine!

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Jeez, we lose a practice game without our midfield and you lot sell the farm. Whilst I think we’ll struggle without Brown and Weideman I’m still positive for a top 4 finish 

madness...

54 minutes ago, SPC said:

🙄

For the folks who are anti-Goodwin, what would be enough wins to say he’s done well in the first 10 days. 

6-4? 

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

For the folks who are anti-Goodwin, what would be enough wins to say he’s done well in the first 10 days. 

6-4? 

5-5 would be a result.  I'm not a huge detractor but it irks that we're essentially a one trick pony in game style and personell. He fully owns that.

High contested, high inside 50s, high press, er failed conversion. The loss of Hogan was a huge blow in retrospect. Hope Ben Brown is fit mid year and maybe we see echos of 2018 return. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SPC said:

I know exactly the moment your talking about, looked like he had seen a ghost eyes wide open and completely baffled by the situation at hand.

12 hours ago, Roost it far said:

Your roost must be somewhere on Mars.  Top 4? On hope?  Highly unlikey we challenge Brisbane, Port, WC, Richmond, Geelong, WB, St Kilda.   You think seriously we end up above ANY of these teams?? We will be lucky to fight it out for 8th place i reckon.  

I don't think most on here are selling the farm but if you could not see the warning signs in the "way" we played our last match you got blinkers on.   We all want the penny to drop for our team.  It seems only an absolute baking from either the media of the Pres gets them up and about.  Goodwin i reckon has actually lost a lot of this mob.   They do what he says and they lose games.  That is reinforced by the fact he "accepts" mediocrity by keep picking blokes not putting in 100% effort.  Melksham/Harmes/Brayshaw/Tmac were all horrible for most of season.  Young guys are getting dropped after putting in one average performance. It just is not quite right and players at the MFC are not earning their spots.

• Like 1

I’ve been consistently saying no from the early days. I happily ate humble pie in 2018, but normal order has been restored over the last 2 seasons.

Even in his early years, we had an over reliance on contested football, which was, and still is, unsustainable over the course of a long season.

We don’t have the run, spread and class to make it easy for ourselves. The fact the same issues persist 4 or 5 years on is pretty damning imo.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, DubDee said:

6-4? 

We need to claim a top 4 scalp, beat the sides we should be beating and no Bulldogs style loss where we collectively go to sleep for just one quarter to ultimately cost us the game. If the following occurs, then Goodwin will have had a successful start to the season and my confidence in him will return:

Fremantle - win

St Kilda  - competitive loss. Saints will win most games at Marvel

GWS - competitive loss. GWS have an outstanding record at Manuka.

Geelong - win. A statement win.

Hawthorn - win

Richmond - competitive loss.

North - win

Sydney - win

Carlton - 50/50

Adelaide - win

A 6-4 or 7-3 start is achievable IMO. We play a few sides that are projected to miss finals.

A 4-6 or 5-5 start will see him hang around but it will just be the same old same old...

Anything less and we might have our first mid year sacking since 2013.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, DubDee said:

6-4? 

if we're 6-4 after 10 days I'd be prepared to give him an extension.

• Haha 4