• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

Is Goodwin the right guy?  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

This is a really good article on how Longmuir trains/develops his assistants and from there how he wants them and the players to 'educate themselves' on the game plan.  Gives them ownership of the process and the outcomes.  Longmuir doesn' 'teach', he 'educates'.  And it may help earn him 'coach of the year' award.

you-don-t-need-to-be-superman-how-freo-taught-their-new-game-plan

I was impressed by the amount of work they put in during the lockdown on learning their strategy aided by software (Hudl) which a number of AFL clubs use.

But: ' By comparison, Melbourne opted to do little strategy work during the break.  "We haven't once talked about football strategy or anything like that," forward Tom McDonald told News Corp in May.  "I know a few of the teams have spent a bit of time on that, but our meetings have been all about staying in touch with each other, talking about other things." '

Player mental welfare was very important during the lockdown as was their physical fitness.  But did we miss an opportunity on their intellectual development?

It makes me wonder, if we have the technology nouse in our coaching group to make the most of such resources.  Richo whose job it is to develop coaches strikes me as old school re technology.  And not sure if Goodwin would drive the use of technology to help with the 'learnings'.

In fairness to Goodwin, maybe he and the club made a judgment call that they had done enough on strategy over the summer and given the unprecedented situation of COVID deemed that focusing on non-football matters would be of more benefit to the player group (E.g. a greater emphasis on mental health and wellbeing as opposed to strategy). In the case of Fremantle they may not have had a choice given the need to implement a new game plan so chose a different approach. Easy to judge these things in retrospect but I can see why they might have made that call under the circumstances. 

But the part of that article that jumped out for me was the focus on improving communications from the line coaches, I honestly think a big part of our issues this year has been the loss of some of our more experienced assistant coaches (e.g. McCarthy and Rawlings) who were know to be good communicators/player developers, and this has resulted in some aspects of the game plan not being effectively communicated/reinforced to player via the line coaches.    

Edited by Deetective Sgt. Taggert
  • Like 3
  • Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rubbish. If you’re prepared to hold him to account when things are going badly, you need to give him credit when things are going well. Otherwise just you’re twisting reality to suit your agenda.

Only 3 clubs have clocked an average running speed quicker in defence than in attack for both games. Richmond WB and Melbounre. We are running harder defensively than we have previous season

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

He kicked one against Fremantle. TMac is done, I think we just need to get games into Weid and get him some support. 

This.

I thought Weideman got to a lot more contests yesterday then he has the past couple of weeks. Still creates contest and seems to be always double teamed.

Has just ticked over 44 games. Still so young in experience and maturity. Can't wait until he hits the 100 game mark.

McDonald meanwhile is finished. Happy to trade for a 3rd rounder.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2020 at 1:19 PM, NeveroddoreveN said:

Seems pretty obvious doesn't it!  There is going to be some decent ones available...Cameron/Finlayson/Daniher/Hogan?  I would take any of them.  Tommy Mac is unlikely to have a resurgence and Weid  definitely need help atm.  Jackson may develop into the type of forward we need in time but def we need to get proactive in this area.  

Even Ben Brown Remember its all about options and the defenders 1,2and 3 and who they have to pick up.

Think about it when Tommy, Hoges Peddo  and Weid in 2018 it worked not rocket science.
Oh and development/coaching of game style and forward craft etc.

2 minutes ago, Deetective Sgt. Taggert said:

In fairness to Goodwin, maybe he and the club made a judgment call that they had done enough on strategy over the summer and given the unprecedented situation of COVID deemed that focusing on non-football matters would be of more benefit to the player group (E.g. a greater emphasis on mental health and wellbeing as opposed). In the case of Fremantle they may not have had a choice given the need to implement a new game plan so chose a different approach. Easy to judge these things in retrospect but I can see why they might have made that call under the circumstances. 

I think the part that jumped out for me was the focus on improving communications from the line coaches, I honestly think a big part of our issues this year has been the loss of some of our more experienced assistant coaches (e.g. McCarthy and Rawlings) who were know to be good communicators/player developers, and this has resulted in some aspects of the game plan not being effectively communicated/reinforced to player via the line coaches.    

I could accept that:

a) If we had our fwd plans locked down over summer, its unlikely we would have messed so much with the tall fwds immediately after the lockdown.

b) If we implemented that game plan consistently, consistently selected players and played them consistently in the same positions so that by mid season (prior to the condensed fixture) we had a settled team and a settled game plan. 

My question is had we spent some time on game plan and strategy during the lockdown could we have avoided the mistakes we subsequently made and I believe cost us wins.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FritschyBusiness said:

Goodwin on the boundary line and Goodwin in the coaches box are two completely different coaches with completely different impact on the game

Move him into a cheerleader role and get a real coach into the coaches box. 

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Hogan2014 said:

Weiderman hasn’t kicked a goal in the last 4 games & yet Tom Mac can’t get a game... go figure 

Tom McDonald hasn’t done anything in 40 games. So yeah, I figured. 

23 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I could accept that:

a) If we had our fwd plans locked down over summer, its unlikely we would have messed so much with the tall fwds immediately after the lockdown.

b) If we implemented that game plan consistently, consistently selected players and played them consistently in the same positions so that by mid season (prior to the condensed fixture) we had a settled team and a settled game plan. 

My question is had we spent some time on game plan and strategy during the lockdown could we have avoided the mistakes we subsequently made and I believe cost us wins.

Well it is a moot point now. The real question is whether this apparent error in judgment is a failure that, along with other apparent issues/failures, warrants termination of a coaching contract, or whether Goodwin can prove to the club how he learned from the situation and what he intends to do to rectify it next year. Failures/errors in judgment do represent an opportunity to learn, provided issues can be properly identified and rectified quickly enough. 

As indicated above, I personally think Goodwin hasn’t been well served by his assistants, and it seems more likely a revamp of the assistant coaches for next year might be the more likely option as opposed to removing Goodwin. 

Edited by Deetective Sgt. Taggert
1 minute ago, Deetective Sgt. Taggert said:

Well it is a moot point now. The real question is whether this apparent error in judgment is a failure that, along with other apparent issues/failures, warrants termination of a coaching contract, or whether Goodwin can prove to the club how he learned from the situation and what he intends to do to rectify it next year. Failures/errors in judgment do represent an opportunity to learn, provided issues can be properly addressed and rectified quickly enough. 

As indicated above, I personally think Goodwin hasn’t been well served by his assistants, and it seems more likely a revamp of the assistant coaches for next year might be the more likely option as opposed to removing Goodwin. 

I agree re assistant coaches.  But reading the Longmuir article makes me wonder how proactively Macca, Richo, Goodwin, Mahoney have developed them or put processes in place to develop them. 

I'll be very disappointed if we don't have major changes among the assistant coaches. 

I agree Goodwin won't be sacked but I'm increasingly thinking he 'is not the right guy' and 2021 will be another year of treading water.

Good packing weather.

Shouldn't take long to gather up all his IP.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Goodwin must be relieved we beat the Bombers. Had we lost he was out the door, pronto. Phew!

I think even if we lost he is safe given we didn't sack him after the Freo and Sydney games. Yes essendon are worse than those 2 teams but we played so poorly against those 2 teams and all of our flawswere exposed at once. 

7 minutes ago, layzie said:

I just don't see the point in abandoning the Weid project now after all the time and resources we've put into him. Took some big strides this year, I think he's worth backing. 

Weid is a really good contributor. He just needs a bit of help.

I'm far more confident in Goodwin than most on here because of that point.

We don't quite have a winning forward half yet. You add a good key forward and another good small forward to that mix and we're a different side.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 10:57 AM, BrisbaneDemon said:

Looks like the members have spoken below, Will the senior figures of the club thoroughly review -22.6% drop in memberships or will the use COVID as the excuse.

2020 CLUB MEMBERSHIP LADDER

1. West Coast Eagles — 100,776 (2019 tally: 90,445 | +11.2%)

2. Richmond — 100,420 (2019 tally: 103,358 | -0.3%)

3. Collingwood — 76,862 (2019 tally: 85,226 | -9.8%)

4. Hawthorn — 76,343 (2019 tally: 81,211 | -6%)

5. Carlton — 67,035 (2019 tally: 64,269 | +4.3%)

6. Essendon — 66,686 (2019 tally: 84,237 | -20.8%)

7. Geelong — 60,066 (2019 tally: 65,063 | -6.2%)

8. Adelaide — 54,891 (2019 tally: 64,437 | -14.9%)

9. Fremantle — 51,577 (2019 tally: 51,431 | +0.3% )

10. St Kilda — 48,588 (2019 tally: 43,038 | +12.9%)

11. Sydney Swans — 48,322 (2019 tally: 61,912 | -21.9%)

12. Port Adelaide — 46,820 (2019 tally: 51,951 | -9.9%)

13. Melbourne — 40,571 (2019 tally: 52,421 | -22.6%)

14. Western Bulldogs — 38,876 (2019 tally: 44,373 | -12.4%)

15. North Melbourne — 38,667 (2019 tally: 42,419 | -8.8%)

16. GWS Giants — 30,841 (2019 tally: 30,109 | +2.4%)

17. Brisbane Lions — 29,277 (2019 tally: 28,023 | +4.5%)

18. Gold Coast Suns — 16,236 (2019 tally: 13,649 | +19%)

TOTAL — 992,854 (2019 tally: 1,057,572)

IMO early wins have a massive impact on membership. 

34 minutes ago, Dockett 32 said:

IMO early wins have a massive impact on membership. 

Not too sure about that.  I think expectations and optimism are bigger factors.  On March 28 2019 our membership was 44,0083.   Even tho we lost the first game, it was on the back of a successful 2018.

We failed to get even close to that march figure in all of 2020.

I suggest the drop in 2020 is disillusioned members from the failed 2019 campaign not lack of early 2020.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
55 minutes ago, layzie said:

I just don't see the point in abandoning the Weid project now after all the time and resources we've put into him. Took some big strides this year, I think he's worth backing. 

As a 2nd or 3rd kpf. He will never the big banana.

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

This.

I thought Weideman got to a lot more contests yesterday then he has the past couple of weeks. Still creates contest and seems to be always double teamed.

Has just ticked over 44 games. Still so young in experience and maturity. Can't wait until he hits the 100 game mark.

McDonald meanwhile is finished. Happy to trade for a 3rd rounder.

Is McDonald actually injured or hampered with his foot as mentioned?

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Goodwin must be relieved we beat the Bombers. Had we lost he was out the door, pronto. Phew!

I disagree.  he shouldn't be. There'll be an outcry if the dogs lose today and we scrape in. ( "  Making up the numbers will be the media cry "  - accurately)

Yesterday did nothong to save or enhance Goodwins position. Just read the final half gameday thread on this site for supporter views.

The team played 1 good 1/4 to win against the worst Bombers side I have seen in 30 years..  And the leaders saved the game in the end.

The first 1/4 scoring was deplorable as was the game style.

The game overall just further illustrated the team's flakiness.

1 hour ago, Deetective Sgt. Taggert said:

A big part of that is on Goodwin though IMO. Seemingly anyone who has challenged him at all has been shown the door, so it very much seems like Goodwin is yet to learn about maximizing those he has around him.

A pretty decent assistant coach reshuffle is on the cards, but it won't mean much if Goodwin doesn't change his stubborn ways.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Weid is the number 2 Fwd. he has struggled since LJ has been injured. 
i thought he contested fairly well yesterday 

We must persist with him

As a second or third best. Top Dog he will never be. 

1 minute ago, old dee said:

As a second or third best. Top Dog he will never be. 

Yes i know you don’t rate the list i have seen it written many times.

I don’t think the Coaches are getting the Maximum out of this list. But Sadly not a lot will change before 2021