Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

1 hour ago, Mach5 said:

Nuffies waffling endlessly about twaddle is not what I was referring to. It was a throwaway line to shut down questions at a presser.

BS. He could have easily said Yes we reviewed it, INstead he went into an explanation of why he didn't need to review it.

You're doing a good nuffie impression yourself.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/24/2019 at 8:51 PM, monoccular said:

Such a predictable presser today  .....  a loss that we should / could have won, but lots of positives, FFS!!

Simon - it was a lost opportunity - unacceptable - and you need to stop trying to polish a 💩!

I can only hope his demeanor within the inner scantum is much more agro / no nonsense than his presser presentation style / speak Mono.

If it's anything similar it might go some way towards explaining why we are where we are.

The noise coming from some players says they're fully committed to Goody and soldering on so go figure.

Possibly too close/chummy and comfortable?  But who am i to judge.

Posted (edited)

People are still dissecting his post game pressers? He's just trying to get through to the end of the year without saying anything controversial so we can get this terrible season behind us and focus on 2020. He's not gonna say anything worth talking about, it's something he obligated to do and he's doing it. That's about the start and end of it.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

BS. He could have easily said Yes we reviewed it, INstead he went into an explanation of why he didn't need to review it.

He steered the conversation exactly where he wanted it to go, it’s not rocket science.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

I think Goodwin should start reviewing his press conferences.

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

"Our skill level is not at the level that is needed and that is something that is going to have to change...If we don’t improve in that space, our players can't play here and we have to get players that can play in that space and develop or we have to recruit them into our footy club."

Really admire Ratten for saying it as it is.  Honest, matter of fact, without spin.  It publicly puts the responsibility back on the players and tells fans coaches understand the problems and are prepared to act.  I'm sure our coaches also understand it but would like to hear it and hear more frankness from Goodwin instead of banal platitudes and window dressing in his press conferences/media interviews. 

Goodwin is clearly tired and deserves a rest.  But he needs to come back and have a more inspiring public persona to energise fans and other external stakeholders.  Afterall he is our window to the club.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

I can only hope his demeanor within the inner scantum is much more agro / no nonsense than his presser presentation style / speak Mono.

If it's anything similar it might go some way towards explaining why we are where we are.

The noise coming from some players says they're fully committed to Goody and soldering on so go figure.

Possibly too close/chummy and comfortable?  But who am i to judge.

So according to Schwarz Goodwin has lost the players and according to you he's "too close/chummy and comfortable"?

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

So according to Schwarz Goodwin has lost the players and according to you he's "too close/chummy and comfortable"?

The Goldilock's conundrum 

It is a reasonable assumption to say Goodwin has lost the players in respect to his game plan. They have executed it, and yes, poorly but have been beaten at every turn by better coaching from the opposition benches. So now enter Alan Richardson in whatitsname role. If Richardson has a good input which we hope he does and things like the game plan improve we may have players being more respectful of Richardson than Goodwin and division is death in footy. You say it could happen with anyone we appoint. Richardson is different as he has never said he has given up on wanting a senior job and out coached Goodwin as recently as a month or so ago.

• Haha 1

One of my biggest concerns re Goodwin is if he has the ability to listen to others' opinions, surely he would have been told not to persist with the constant rubbish week in week out. If that's the case then Richardson is of no use to us.

• Like 1

Just now, SFebes said:

One of my biggest concerns re Goodwin is if he has the ability to listen to others' opinions, surely he would have been told not to persist with the constant rubbish week in week out. If that's the case then Richardson is of no use to us.

Yes i want to know how Goodwin feels with a freshly sacked Coach from a rival underachieving team, being employed to “mentor” him. 

He can’t feel good about it, and it tells him how much he has got wrong in a short space of time

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

It is a reasonable assumption to say Goodwin has lost the players in respect to his game plan. They have executed it, and yes, poorly but have been beaten at every turn by better coaching from the opposition benches. So now enter Alan Richardson in whatitsname role. If Richardson has a good input which we hope he does and things like the game plan improve we may have players being more respectful of Richardson than Goodwin and division is death in footy. You say it could happen with anyone we appoint. Richardson is different as he has never said he has given up on wanting a senior job and out coached Goodwin as recently as a month or so ago.

Wrong yet again ...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-former-st-kilda-coach-alan-richardson-opens-up-on-his-big-regret-brad-scott-fog-and-flattering-offers/news-story/0b86f5e732bb27a2c556bd810ea8dbcb

“I think eventually, given I’m 54 years of age. I’ve done a lot in the coaching space,” Richardson explained on SEN Breakfast.

“(I) started as a development coach, coaching a footy club, so that’s my strength. That’s still my want, to be involved from coaching prospective.

“I have (packed being a senior coach away) in my mind. There would have to be some significant change."

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Wrong yet again ...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-former-st-kilda-coach-alan-richardson-opens-up-on-his-big-regret-brad-scott-fog-and-flattering-offers/news-story/0b86f5e732bb27a2c556bd810ea8dbcb

“I think eventually, given I’m 54 years of age. I’ve done a lot in the coaching space,” Richardson explained on SEN Breakfast.

“(I) started as a development coach, coaching a footy club, so that’s my strength. That’s still my want, to be involved from coaching prospective.

“I have (packed being a senior coach away) in my mind. There would have to be some significant change."

Thank you. This just exposes these trolls who shoot off their mouths without doing any extensive research. SK is exactly that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

Not quite 55.  I'm asking the question...

Is he?

Of course i don't truly know but i suspect Schwarter doesn't truly know whether he has lost them either.

Personally from what we are hearing and from my mail/connections I don't believe he has lost them...not yet anyway.

Am i worried that he might not have the arms length edge/angst/agro to drive the group and individuals on to do things they may not wish to?  Yep.

It's a very fine line a coach treads between being there for the player and making sure they don't get too comfy and happy with themselves.

Clarkson a great example, albeit i understand he is a rare commodity and they don't grow them on trees.  However, i believe he is the reason that Hawks' players do pretty much everything & anything he asks from them most of the time.  If they don't they wont stay in his system for long.  From what i've heard they are driven by a great environment off the field (relaxed / fun but nonetheless intense training regime focused on structure, strategy and skills) but also by the fear of where they will end up IF they don't follow instructions and perform their role accordingly as directed.

• Like 1

It's hard to judge from the outside but Goodwin does to me give the impression of being a little bit to matey with the players. that may be totally off the mark but i would have loved to see a few more aggressive sprays this year, especially when effort hasn't been up to scratch.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Thank you. This just exposes these trolls who shoot off their mouths without doing any extensive research. SK is exactly that.

How so? he says he had a very poor year of coaching. And then his last line in respect to a senior job is, there would have to be some significant change. Gee that is convincing.  And could you help me,  I must have missed it. What role is he taking at MFC?  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sorry kids said:

How so? he says he had a very poor year of coaching. And then his last line in respect to a senior job is, there would have to be some significant change. Gee that is convincing.  And could you help me,  I must have missed it. What role is he taking at MFC?  

I thought it.was Director of Coaching whatever that means SK

Edited by Rusty Nails

Posted (edited)
On 8/23/2019 at 9:14 AM, bush demon said:

So noone listens to 3AW. Just got told by someone at work there will be a major announcement on Sunday. Looks like we will have to take the good with the bad...

On 8/23/2019 at 9:24 AM, bush demon said:

So don't shoot the messenger this is just what my boss heard on 3AW.... initials SG.... announcement, Sunday.

Did your boss mean Sunday, Los Angeles time? Because there’s still time if that’s the case. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

I assume you're a member, so why don't you contact the club and ask them ?

14 minutes ago, loges said:

I assume you're a member, so why don't you contact the club and ask them ?

You know as well as I do they have said they will announce his role at the end of the season. (ambiguous) 

4 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Not quite 55.  I'm asking the question...

Is he?

Of course i don't truly know but i suspect Schwarter doesn't truly know whether he has lost them either.

Personally from what we are hearing and from my mail/connections I don't believe he has lost them...not yet anyway.

Am i worried that he might not have the arms length edge/angst/agro to drive the group and individuals on to do things they may not wish to?  Yep.

It's a very fine line a coach treads between being there for the player and making sure they don't get too comfy and happy with themselves.

Clarkson a great example, albeit i understand he is a rare commodity and they don't grow them on trees.  However, i believe he is the reason that Hawks' players do pretty much everything & anything he asks from them most of the time.  If they don't they wont stay in his system for long.  From what i've heard they are driven by a great environment off the field (relaxed / fun but nonetheless intense training regime focused on structure, strategy and skills) but also by the fear of where they will end up IF they don't follow instructions and perform their role accordingly as directed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Schwartz's comment re Goodwin almost losing the players was part of the club media strategy which raised a question that Lewis could shut down in his retirement press conference.  The club would know such topics would be discussed during the offseason so raising it proactively via David Schwartz, we are on the front foot and able to address the topic head on via a 300± game, 4x Premiership player and B&F flanked by the best coach of the modern era and Simon Goodwin. 

2 hours ago, chookrat said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Schwartz's comment re Goodwin almost losing the players was part of the club media strategy which raised a question that Lewis could shut down in his retirement press conference.  The club would know such topics would be discussed during the offseason so raising it proactively via David Schwartz, we are on the front foot and able to address the topic head on via a 300± game, 4x Premiership player and B&F flanked by the best coach of the modern era and Simon Goodwin. 

Serious q: you think the club operates that sharply?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

Of course. Our comms is elite.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

[censored] yeah! 

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2019 at 10:51 AM, Sorry kids said:

Maybe the plan is to sack Goodwin mid next year and let Richardson take over.