Jump to content

Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mach5 said:

 

Nuffies waffling endlessly about twaddle is not what I was referring to. It was a throwaway line to shut down questions at a presser.

BS. He could have easily said Yes we reviewed it, INstead he went into an explanation of why he didn't need to review it.

You're doing a good nuffie impression yourself.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/24/2019 at 8:51 PM, monoccular said:

Such a predictable presser today  .....  a loss that we should / could have won, but lots of positives, FFS!!

Simon - it was a lost opportunity - unacceptable - and you need to stop trying to polish a 💩!

I can only hope his demeanor within the inner scantum is much more agro / no nonsense than his presser presentation style / speak Mono.

If it's anything similar it might go some way towards explaining why we are where we are.

The noise coming from some players says they're fully committed to Goody and soldering on so go figure.

Possibly too close/chummy and comfortable?  But who am i to judge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

People are still dissecting his post game pressers? He's just trying to get through to the end of the year without saying anything controversial so we can get this terrible season behind us and focus on 2020. He's not gonna say anything worth talking about, it's something he obligated to do and he's doing it. That's about the start and end of it.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

BS. He could have easily said Yes we reviewed it, INstead he went into an explanation of why he didn't need to review it.

You're doing a good nuffie impression yourself.

 

He steered the conversation exactly where he wanted it to go, it’s not rocket science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

BS. He could have easily said Yes we reviewed it, INstead he went into an explanation of why he didn't need to review it.

You're doing a good nuffie impression yourself.

I think Goodwin should start reviewing his press conferences.

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

"Our skill level is not at the level that is needed and that is something that is going to have to change...If we don’t improve in that space, our players can't play here and we have to get players that can play in that space and develop or we have to recruit them into our footy club."

Really admire Ratten for saying it as it is.  Honest, matter of fact, without spin.  It publicly puts the responsibility back on the players and tells fans coaches understand the problems and are prepared to act.  I'm sure our coaches also understand it but would like to hear it and hear more frankness from Goodwin instead of banal platitudes and window dressing in his press conferences/media interviews. 

Goodwin is clearly tired and deserves a rest.  But he needs to come back and have a more inspiring public persona to energise fans and other external stakeholders.  Afterall he is our window to the club.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

I can only hope his demeanor within the inner scantum is much more agro / no nonsense than his presser presentation style / speak Mono.

If it's anything similar it might go some way towards explaining why we are where we are.

The noise coming from some players says they're fully committed to Goody and soldering on so go figure.

Possibly too close/chummy and comfortable?  But who am i to judge.

So according to Schwarz Goodwin has lost the players and according to you he's "too close/chummy and comfortable"?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

So according to Schwarz Goodwin has lost the players and according to you he's "too close/chummy and comfortable"?

The Goldilock's conundrum 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a reasonable assumption to say Goodwin has lost the players in respect to his game plan. They have executed it, and yes, poorly but have been beaten at every turn by better coaching from the opposition benches. So now enter Alan Richardson in whatitsname role. If Richardson has a good input which we hope he does and things like the game plan improve we may have players being more respectful of Richardson than Goodwin and division is death in footy. You say it could happen with anyone we appoint. Richardson is different as he has never said he has given up on wanting a senior job and out coached Goodwin as recently as a month or so ago.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my biggest concerns re Goodwin is if he has the ability to listen to others' opinions, surely he would have been told not to persist with the constant rubbish week in week out. If that's the case then Richardson is of no use to us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, SFebes said:

One of my biggest concerns re Goodwin is if he has the ability to listen to others' opinions, surely he would have been told not to persist with the constant rubbish week in week out. If that's the case then Richardson is of no use to us.

Yes i want to know how Goodwin feels with a freshly sacked Coach from a rival underachieving team, being employed to “mentor” him. 

He can’t feel good about it, and it tells him how much he has got wrong in a short space of time

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

It is a reasonable assumption to say Goodwin has lost the players in respect to his game plan. They have executed it, and yes, poorly but have been beaten at every turn by better coaching from the opposition benches. So now enter Alan Richardson in whatitsname role. If Richardson has a good input which we hope he does and things like the game plan improve we may have players being more respectful of Richardson than Goodwin and division is death in footy. You say it could happen with anyone we appoint. Richardson is different as he has never said he has given up on wanting a senior job and out coached Goodwin as recently as a month or so ago.

Wrong yet again ...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-former-st-kilda-coach-alan-richardson-opens-up-on-his-big-regret-brad-scott-fog-and-flattering-offers/news-story/0b86f5e732bb27a2c556bd810ea8dbcb

“I think eventually, given I’m 54 years of age. I’ve done a lot in the coaching space,” Richardson explained on SEN Breakfast.

“(I) started as a development coach, coaching a footy club, so that’s my strength. That’s still my want, to be involved from coaching prospective.

“I have (packed being a senior coach away) in my mind. There would have to be some significant change."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Wrong yet again ...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-former-st-kilda-coach-alan-richardson-opens-up-on-his-big-regret-brad-scott-fog-and-flattering-offers/news-story/0b86f5e732bb27a2c556bd810ea8dbcb

“I think eventually, given I’m 54 years of age. I’ve done a lot in the coaching space,” Richardson explained on SEN Breakfast.

“(I) started as a development coach, coaching a footy club, so that’s my strength. That’s still my want, to be involved from coaching prospective.

“I have (packed being a senior coach away) in my mind. There would have to be some significant change."

Thank you. This just exposes these trolls who shoot off their mouths without doing any extensive research. SK is exactly that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

So according to Schwarz Goodwin has lost the players and according to you he's "too close/chummy and comfortable"?

Not quite 55.  I'm asking the question...

Is he?

Of course i don't truly know but i suspect Schwarter doesn't truly know whether he has lost them either.

Personally from what we are hearing and from my mail/connections I don't believe he has lost them...not yet anyway.

Am i worried that he might not have the arms length edge/angst/agro to drive the group and individuals on to do things they may not wish to?  Yep.

It's a very fine line a coach treads between being there for the player and making sure they don't get too comfy and happy with themselves.

Clarkson a great example, albeit i understand he is a rare commodity and they don't grow them on trees.  However, i believe he is the reason that Hawks' players do pretty much everything & anything he asks from them most of the time.  If they don't they wont stay in his system for long.  From what i've heard they are driven by a great environment off the field (relaxed / fun but nonetheless intense training regime focused on structure, strategy and skills) but also by the fear of where they will end up IF they don't follow instructions and perform their role accordingly as directed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to judge from the outside but Goodwin does to me give the impression of being a little bit to matey with the players. that may be totally off the mark but i would have loved to see a few more aggressive sprays this year, especially when effort hasn't been up to scratch.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Thank you. This just exposes these trolls who shoot off their mouths without doing any extensive research. SK is exactly that.

How so? he says he had a very poor year of coaching. And then his last line in respect to a senior job is, there would have to be some significant change. Gee that is convincing.  And could you help me,  I must have missed it. What role is he taking at MFC?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sorry kids said:

How so? he says he had a very poor year of coaching. And then his last line in respect to a senior job is, there would have to be some significant change. Gee that is convincing.  And could you help me,  I must have missed it. What role is he taking at MFC?  

I thought it.was Director of Coaching whatever that means SK

Edited by Rusty Nails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/23/2019 at 9:14 AM, bush demon said:

So noone listens to 3AW. Just got told by someone at work there will be a major announcement on Sunday. Looks like we will have to take the good with the bad...

 

On 8/23/2019 at 9:24 AM, bush demon said:

So don't shoot the messenger this is just what my boss heard on 3AW.... initials SG.... announcement, Sunday.

Did your boss mean Sunday, Los Angeles time? Because there’s still time if that’s the case. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

How so? he says he had a very poor year of coaching. And then his last line in respect to a senior job is, there would have to be some significant change. Gee that is convincing.  And could you help me,  I must have missed it. What role is he taking at MFC?  

I assume you're a member, so why don't you contact the club and ask them ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, loges said:

I assume you're a member, so why don't you contact the club and ask them ?

You know as well as I do they have said they will announce his role at the end of the season. (ambiguous) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Not quite 55.  I'm asking the question...

Is he?

Of course i don't truly know but i suspect Schwarter doesn't truly know whether he has lost them either.

Personally from what we are hearing and from my mail/connections I don't believe he has lost them...not yet anyway.

Am i worried that he might not have the arms length edge/angst/agro to drive the group and individuals on to do things they may not wish to?  Yep.

It's a very fine line a coach treads between being there for the player and making sure they don't get too comfy and happy with themselves.

Clarkson a great example, albeit i understand he is a rare commodity and they don't grow them on trees.  However, i believe he is the reason that Hawks' players do pretty much everything & anything he asks from them most of the time.  If they don't they wont stay in his system for long.  From what i've heard they are driven by a great environment off the field (relaxed / fun but nonetheless intense training regime focused on structure, strategy and skills) but also by the fear of where they will end up IF they don't follow instructions and perform their role accordingly as directed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Schwartz's comment re Goodwin almost losing the players was part of the club media strategy which raised a question that Lewis could shut down in his retirement press conference.  The club would know such topics would be discussed during the offseason so raising it proactively via David Schwartz, we are on the front foot and able to address the topic head on via a 300± game, 4x Premiership player and B&F flanked by the best coach of the modern era and Simon Goodwin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chookrat said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Schwartz's comment re Goodwin almost losing the players was part of the club media strategy which raised a question that Lewis could shut down in his retirement press conference.  The club would know such topics would be discussed during the offseason so raising it proactively via David Schwartz, we are on the front foot and able to address the topic head on via a 300± game, 4x Premiership player and B&F flanked by the best coach of the modern era and Simon Goodwin. 

Serious q: you think the club operates that sharply?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

Serious q: you think the club operates that sharply?

Of course. Our comms is elite.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superunknown said:

Serious q: you think the club operates that sharply?

[censored] yeah! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 10:51 AM, Sorry kids said:

It is a reasonable assumption to say Goodwin has lost the players in respect to his game plan. They have executed it, and yes, poorly but have been beaten at every turn by better coaching from the opposition benches. So now enter Alan Richardson in whatitsname role. If Richardson has a good input which we hope he does and things like the game plan improve we may have players being more respectful of Richardson than Goodwin and division is death in footy. You say it could happen with anyone we appoint. Richardson is different as he has never said he has given up on wanting a senior job and out coached Goodwin as recently as a month or so ago.

Maybe the plan is to sack Goodwin mid next year and let Richardson take over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...