Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

41 minutes ago, chookrat said:

I'd suggest the club extended Goodwin because they have seen enough of what he brings to commit to him longer term. While this year has been an on field disaster, the players, coaches and club will learn from this and make changes that not only help for 2020 but for the next 5-10 years. 

You speak more hope than anything else Chook. 

The Board made a very early call on a contract situation that was in no hurry. 

We had just been thrashed in a PF, perfect time to give Goodwin the ultimatum of “we will resume contract talks during the bye weekend...”

But no, sanity did not prevail. 

Coaches are like Airline Pilots, most know how to take off and even land a plane with precision. But the great Pilots know exactly what to do when there are problems and worse, emergencies    

With Goodwin I have seen nothing that tells me he can Coach when things are going badly. He was even in denial after the last final. 

Not a good place to be....

Let the Exodus begin so we can forget this stinking season...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Interesting perspectives 

Well if anyone can work it out, let me know. We are having a review to see where we can improve things which must including coaching. Not for us to wait for the outcome of that review to appoint appropriate people in the areas of deficiency. Charge ahead at full stream Sound familiar.

49 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Well if anyone can work it out, let me know. We are having a review to see where we can improve things which must including coaching. Not for us to wait for the outcome of that review to appoint appropriate people in the areas of deficiency. Charge ahead at full stream Sound familiar.

No I was being genuine

interesting perspective

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, BarassiWisdom said:

Goodwin will be sacked by round 12 next year. First coach to go in 2020. 

This list is going nowhere. Absolute disaster. Another full rebuild coming.

The Board will be reluctant to sack Goodwin now because they would be admitting that they made a big blunder in extending his contract.

Goodwin will be gone by the Queen’s Birthday.

The only hope is that an Adelaide club comes to the rescue.

Edited by deefender
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You speak more hope than anything else Chook. 

The Board made a very early call on a contract situation that was in no hurry. 

We had just been thrashed in a PF, perfect time to give Goodwin the ultimatum of “we will resume contract talks during the bye weekend...”

But no, sanity did not prevail. 

Coaches are like Airline Pilots, most know how to take off and even land a plane with precision. But the great Pilots know exactly what to do when there are problems and worse, emergencies    

With Goodwin I have seen nothing that tells me he can Coach when things are going badly. He was even in denial after the last final. 

Not a good place to be....

Let the Exodus begin so we can forget this stinking season...

SWYL I don't think I speak from hope but more from either quiet confidence or complete ignorance. I'm just not really concerned about the ability of the club to turn things around as they are managing the fall out well and look to have perspective and be making good decisions. I could be wrong and we will probably know by the end of next season or possibly sooner. 

I also think the club sees Goodwin as a young coach with elite attributes who will learn and grow with our young talented squad and the extension helps release some media pressure.  This is similar to Hawthorn with Clarkson, Geelong with Bomber, Richmond with Hardwick and Collingwood with Buckley.

• Like 4

On 8/23/2019 at 6:50 AM, beelzebub said:

ANB often played out of position ( whenever  picked for the One's ) ;)

That is correct. I thought OMac was often used 'out of position', as well and that must be frustrating for him. He is a natural Juicy Fruit opener and distributor at quarter-time breaks, not a CHB defender. Poor soul - it must have been maddening for him! On a more serious note, the 'out of position' syndrome seemed most obvious for most of the season with Fritsch (a true forward) and Salem (midfielder- feeder not a defender), and Petracca (almost the perfect game-ready midfielder). Just an opinion ... but also a recurring nightmare having watched every game this year. The selection table seemed a little negatively skewed, as well and as for Goodwin's depth of analysis and action, who could argue? Ahem...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chookrat said:

SWYL I don't think I speak from hope but more from either quiet confidence or complete ignorance. I'm just not really concerned about the ability of the club to turn things around as they are managing the fall out well and look to have perspective and be making good decisions. I could be wrong and we will probably know by the end of next season or possibly sooner. 

I also think the club sees Goodwin as a young coach with elite attributes who will learn and grow with our young talented squad and the extension helps release some media pressure.  This is similar to Hawthorn with Clarkson, Geelong with Bomber, Richmond with Hardwick and Collingwood with Buckley.

Managing the fallout well. That remains to be seen.

Do we lose Sponsors because of this year?

How deep will a Membership drop off be for next year?

Goodwin has to change his style very quickly as the

“one in all in contested style” is not the answer

it all starts on tuesday...

Posted (edited)

Such a predictable presser today  .....  a loss that we should / could have won, but lots of positives, FFS!!

Simon - it was a lost opportunity - unacceptable - and you need to stop trying to polish a 💩!

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We should appoint Roughead as forward line coach and appoint Bruce or Mitchell as coach. Keep Lewis on board in some capacity. The Hawthorn blue print is the way forward, it provides structure and discipline- two aspects lacking at this football club. We are going no where under Goodwin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

That is correct. I thought OMac was often used 'out of position', as well and that must be frustrating for him. He is a natural Juicy Fruit opener and distributor at quarter-time breaks, not a CHB defender. Poor soul - it must have been maddening for him! On a more serious note, the 'out of position' syndrome seemed most obvious for most of the season with Fritsch (a true forward) and Salem (midfielder- feeder not a defender), and Petracca (almost the perfect game-ready midfielder). Just an opinion ... but also a recurring nightmare having watched every game this year. The selection table seemed a little negatively skewed, as well and as for Goodwin's depth of analysis and action, who could argue? Ahem...

As an allegedly scratch golfer does omac play div 1 or 2 pennant or is he capable / has he?

5 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Perhaps there is an understanding and an acknowledgement within the club that Goodwin wants to head back to Adelaide at some stage - not that he isn't invested in Melbourne of course,(or at a minimum, his career as a coach). Hence signing him on earlier this year to ward off Adelaide (and a little premature based on the prelim).

Perhaps there are also caveats based on performance in his contract, and that should a position open up elsewhere, he is free to pursue them. 

There are many permutations...and perhaps the cosmos has aligned for both parties.

postscript: Personally I dont think this WILL ACTUALLY happen - but would not be surprised as well, it is the AFL and it moves steadily to an an American stylised free for all for whomever you wish, be it player, fd department, coach. 

3 hours ago, chookrat said:

I'd suggest the club extended Goodwin because they have seen enough of what he brings to commit to him longer term. While this year has been an on field disaster, the players, coaches and club will learn from this and make changes that not only help for 2020 but for the next 5-10 years. 

I'm on record as saying Goodwin should not be sacked and this year's performance whilst extremely poor is not grounds enough to mount a case for moving him on, you look at the 3 years overall and IMO he gets another year, which determines his coaching future 

If for whatever reason he was to go as all contracts have clauses in them and the Crows/Port returns to SA were part of that and Goodwin was to move back to Adelaide I unlike others do not discount Ross Lyons qualities as a coach specifically his defensive structures.

Our 2 way running issue and 1%ers would not be tolerated, he showed a change in his game style this season with more of an attacking quick ball movement game and he had Freo playing some very good footy heading to the bye, but the Dockers have a good  14 and very much fall apart after that in a big way they have poorer depththsn we do.

You can carry 6 to 8 depth/role players in your 22 but once Pearce, Hogan, Lobb (I know he came back later in the year), Taberner, Darcy and Steve Hill are all out long term that forces your number 3 to 4 KP defenders and forwards to step up and it takes its toll 

Lyon turned the careers around of a number of underperforming, inconsistent and undisciplined players in his time at Fremantle including Walters, Michael Johnson, Luke Mcpharlin, Luke Ryan, Mundy, Mayne and Ballantine turning them into important players for the side and getting very ordinary players like De Boer, Crowley, Dawson,Muzungai and Sutcliffe into role players who did their jobs to make the side a professional unit. He did the same with  St Kilda.

The main issue with Lyon is the demnds he puts on the players and his staff.

He has a use bye date which wears the players and staff out, he has 3 to 4 years with a group before the constant demands and intensity wear them out.

It's just my opinion on him but the group would certainly know where they were day 1 and what the roles/standards were

• Like 2

11 hours ago, monoccular said:

Such a predictable presser today  .....  a loss that we should / could have won, but lots of positives, FFS!!

Simon - it was a lost opportunity - unacceptable - and you need to stop trying to polish a 💩!

Same old “football speak”.

Someone suggested if he lost the coaching job he could go into the media! You are kidding!!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Will Goodwin review this game?

I’m still blown away that most people seem to think he really didn’t review that loss.

Does it not occur to anyone that it’s the easiest way to shut down endless and pointless questions about the loss?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

We should appoint Roughead as forward line coach and appoint Bruce or Mitchell as coach. Keep Lewis on board in some capacity. The Hawthorn blue print is the way forward, it provides structure and discipline- two aspects lacking at this football club. We are going no where under Goodwin.

Why do people assume a bloke who has not had a job as a coach will be a better coach in a cut throat industry. Yes he’s worth a go somewhere but we need proven very experienced assistance around Goodwin. I’d be heading for the Bolton types. 

On 8/23/2019 at 11:24 AM, bush demon said:

So don't shoot the messenger this is just what my boss heard on 3AW.... initials SG.... announcement, Sunday.

What time is the big announcement?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, —coach— said:

What time is the big announcement?

I would imagine that the person who rang 3aw has had a good laugh at the number of people he hooked and reeled in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hopefully he will be teaching all of our players to not stand there for a second or two feigning to handball after a mark this pre season. All that actually does is give teams time to man up. 

This would assume we ever actually learn anything though. 

8 hours ago, Mach5 said:

I’m still blown away that most people seem to think he really didn’t review that loss.

Does it not occur to anyone that it’s the easiest way to shut down endless and pointless questions about the loss?

Except it didn’t shut down questions about the loss, it did the opposite.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I think it did.

3 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

2 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

I think it did.

Yet here we are nearly 12 months later still talking about it...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Yet here we are nearly 12 months later still talking about it...

Nuffies waffling endlessly about twaddle is not what I was referring to. It was a throwaway line to shut down questions at a presser.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, chookrat said:

Reckon that would show a little faith and maturity in the coach issue. However he does have a blow torch right under his  aggots ,courtesy of our rather spiritless playing group, who he has constantly stuck up for.

Our players have burnt coach after coach, ( pre Roos who had their measure)  but otherwise the accountability never seems to rest with them or their leadership group.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Nuffies waffling endlessly about twaddle is not what I was referring to. It was a throwaway line to shut down questions at a presser.

The media are probably the biggest nuffies of them all though! ;)

1 hour ago, Mach5 said:

And he has not once been asked about it again as far i'm aware