Jump to content
  • Demonland Interviews

Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, bush demon said:

So don't shoot the messenger this is just what my boss heard on 3AW.... initials SG.... announcement, Sunday.

Melbourne welcoming back Simon Godfrey to the club as a specialist kicking coach! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, trout said:

I have been hearing rumours for most of the year that Petracca won’t be at Melbourne next year, I hope it’s not true, one of a handful that has improved this year. I have also thought it to be a load of rot and thought nothing of it, but given the year we have had I would say watch this space. 

would legit not sign up if we lost him. 

Hogan and then Petracca...not to mention others...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Die Hard Demon said:

imagine if we brought in Ross Lyon on the back of sacking Goodwin.. i’d leave the country permanently 

I'd return to the country immediately. (I wouldn't, but i would be over the [censored] moon with an experienced coach that took his clubs to finals 8/13 years)

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, trout said:

I have been hearing rumours for most of the year that Petracca won’t be at Melbourne next year, I hope it’s not true, one of a handful that has improved this year. I have also thought it to be a load of rot and thought nothing of it, but given the year we have had I would say watch this space. 

at least his value has gone up :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Unleash Hell said:

Excellent post Rusty - very well thought out and articulated.

The biggest issue for us posters on Demonland is we don't know all of the facts. And on the limited facts we have I wholeheartedly agree with the points raised by yourself.

I also want to make myself clear - I don't automatically disagree with the dissenting viewpoint.

Goodwin has faults, he has made mistakes and some big mistakes IMO, but are these automatically sackable? Was the failure completely Goodwin or a combination of leadership issues? Is change needed or will he learn and improve?? Will it force changes that are needed to be successful? Was he suitably provided all of the support he needed? There are a lot of mitigating factors for this years failures and we are not even started talking about results or the requirement for the game plan to change or the players ability to execute in 2019 due to various reasons (which some have come to light on the forum recently).

I'd be amazed if the board sack him now, mainly because the board agreed to resign him 6 months ago for a further 2 year. What changed so dramatically that change is now needed? Was the proper process not followed? Was any process undertaken? Clearly these questions won't be answered on Demonland but on face value that points to a complete failure by the powers that be.

If Goodwin is sacked (and this is pure speculation at this stage), I think the bigger story here is the failure of the MFC leadership.

And that is what you and I are talking about @Rusty Nails, the lack of stability and leadership at this club is the biggest issue holding back the MFC.

I am really excited to see what plays out over the next month or 2, it is going to be very interesting

 

 

@Rusty Nails

Ross Lyon is on 57% win loss right? And that's after taking a hit with the last 4 seasons. WOuld make sense to appoint a coach like that if he became available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, trout said:

I have been hearing rumours for most of the year that Petracca won’t be at Melbourne next year, I hope it’s not true, one of a handful that has improved this year. I have also thought it to be a load of rot and thought nothing of it, but given the year we have had I would say watch this space. 

Where exactly have you heard these rumours? One of the girls who works for me is good friends with him and at the start of the year she was telling me how much he loves the club. Unless things have changed in the last six months hard to believe that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AllMyTeamsAreWank said:

Where exactly have you heard these rumours? One of the girls who works for me is good friends with him and at the start of the year she was telling me how much he loves the club. Unless things have changed in the last six months hard to believe that. 

When he was trying to get the hook out of his mouth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AllMyTeamsAreWank said:

Where exactly have you heard these rumours? One of the girls who works for me is good friends with him and at the start of the year she was telling me how much he loves the club. Unless things have changed in the last six months hard to believe that. 

Same person who told me Weideman needs / needed hip surgery half way through the year. Don’t get me wrong up until today’s news about Petracca’s management speaking to to the club I thought it was a joke and it still might be. It could also be the club wants to trade Petracca.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trout said:

Same person who told me Weideman needs / needed hip surgery half way through the year. Don’t get me wrong up until today’s news about Petracca’s management speaking to to the club I thought it was a joke and it still might be. It could also be the club wants to trade Petracca.

I'd be a pretty [censored] off member if the club traded one of the few decent players from this season. I'd also be shitty if they traded him even if he wanted to go. Especially after the Hogan debacle and how Kelly has gone at the cats. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

@Rusty Nails

Ross Lyon is on 57% win loss right? And that's after taking a hit with the last 4 seasons. WOuld make sense to appoint a coach like that if he became available.

Correct JD ...for regular season.

Ranked 15th of all time in win/loss records for coaches who went on to coach more than 3 seasons (ie; approx 70 plus games or more).  I have chosen 3 seasons as i suspect very few coaches new to the game would be signed to more than 3 years in their first stint and that first 3 years the win/loss results might' be skewed somewhat statistically taking on the previous coach's list.

Getting into the 4th year and beyond, the list is starting to more accurately reflect the make up / method of play that the coach is looking to implement and his 'preferred/required' players at the draft/trade table.

15th of all time is a stunning number in anyone's language.

Better record than Hinkley, Williams, Buckley, Kennedy & Hardwick.

On par with Sheedy / Malthouse and just shy of the likes of Bobby Rose, Mathews and Parkin.

Logically we would be insane to knock back someone with this record given our history over the last 55 years.

Would he be a good fit with this list?  What sort of baggage does he bring if any?  Could/Would Demon fans handle the dour method/style he is often associated with, even if we were winning most games and assuming we were occasionally making finals?

If the list were a fit and he was able to get somewhere near a 57% winning record?  Very bloody tempting given our present parlous state!

Many, including plenty on here will say the complete opposite though.  There are rumours (scuttlebutt?) that he allegedly could be somewhat toxic and best to lay off but that could just be the usual naysayers looking for a scapegoat or those out of favour with Ross.

Let's not forget that Roos was Ross's protege' before he coached us and many on here have been calling for his return of late...

Extract courtesy of "thewest.com.au"...

AFL great Paul Roos has slammed Fremantle’s sacking of coach Ross Lyon, branding the decision as “bizarre” and “weak” in the face of rising criticism against the club.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

 

 

Edited by Unleash Hell
Rusty handled it
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AllMyTeamsAreWank said:

I'd be a pretty [censored] off member if the club traded one of the few decent players from this season. I'd also be shitty if they traded him even if he wanted to go. Especially after the Hogan debacle and how Kelly has gone at the cats. 

Yep agree totally with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering, if Goodwin moved onto Adelaide’s head coaching gig, would that mean we would avoid the payout?

For example, Pyke sacked, Goodwin to Adelaide.

Just a rumour I read on twitter...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Just wondering, if Goodwin moved onto Adelaide’s head coaching gig, would that mean we would avoid the payout?

For example, Pyke sacked, Goodwin to Adelaide.

Just a rumour I read on twitter...

Under the north issue,  if Scott gets a new gig the north payout of 2020 is offset against his new salary.

Otherwise, kangas have to pay up in full for 2020 to Scott. 

I don't know if that is standard, and also depends if coach resigns or is sacked , which would then determine payout based on contract.

There's some weird stuff going on in the AFL HR wise that you just don't see outside the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Just wondering, if Goodwin moved onto Adelaide’s head coaching gig, would that mean we would avoid the payout?

For example, Pyke sacked, Goodwin to Adelaide.

Just a rumour I read on twitter...

Dunno...but sounds ok...lets do it and find out !! ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“If your life depended on results next year, and you said you can have one of these two guys coaching next year, I’m taking Ross Lyon because I’ve seen it,” King told SEN’s Crunch Time.

“I’ve seen him correct a club, bring standards, raise the bar with standards, attach players to become the driving force, empower them for every decision and deliver a game plan that, while some don’t like it, it wins home and away games.

“He hasn’t won the ultimate, but he does ring the rag dry on the players and maybe that has a lifespan, but in a one-off block, you’d say Ross.”

Would the Dees be better off in 2020 with Lyon instead of Goodwin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

“If your life depended on results next year, and you said you can have one of these two guys coaching next year, I’m taking Ross Lyon because I’ve seen it,” King told SEN’s Crunch Time.

“I’ve seen him correct a club, bring standards, raise the bar with standards, attach players to become the driving force, empower them for every decision and deliver a game plan that, while some don’t like it, it wins home and away games.

“He hasn’t won the ultimate, but he does ring the rag dry on the players and maybe that has a lifespan, but in a one-off block, you’d say Ross.”

Would the Dees be better off in 2020 with Lyon instead of Goodwin?

Interesting post when you reference the heading of, Is Goodwin the right guy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Interesting post when you reference the heading of, Is Goodwin the right guy?

Well this is it  for me. It's not whether he has any ability,it's not whether he has the group or not etc etc..add in any number of appropriate metrics. it's whether or not he's the RIGHT guy...for US...the BEST option. Whether he is likely to get us Silverware, let alone wins, become consistently competitive etc etc

Im not sure if I just read some folk wrong but I get the impression for some it's almost more about Simon than it is US. I'm not interested in being a learning centre for developing SENIOR coaches...assistants...fine..but not the Managing Coach .He ought to have his schtick together. Just having a bit of paper and time at other clubs etc is of itself no guarantee..

And its upon this premise that I believe he ISNT the right guy. Not for us, and not now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Well this is it  for me. It's not whether he has any ability,it's not whether he has the group or not etc etc..add in any number of appropriate metrics. it's whether or not he's the RIGHT guy...for US...the BEST option. Whether he is likely to get us Silverware, let alone wins, become consistently competitive etc etc

Im not sure if I just read some folk wrong but I get the impression for some it's almost more about Simon than it is US. I'm not interested in being a learning centre for developing SENIOR coaches...assistants...fine..but not the Managing Coach .He ought to have his schtick together. Just having a bit of paper and time at other clubs etc is of itself no guarantee..

And its upon this premise that I believe he ISNT the right guy. Not for us, and not now.

Those who signed him up early, after such a poor Preliminary Final can take a good hard look at themselves too. Could have so easily signed a contract during the bye week. 

I wonder whether he would have been signed under that scenario?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps there is an understanding and an acknowledgement within the club that Goodwin wants to head back to Adelaide at some stage - not that he isn't invested in Melbourne of course,(or at a minimum, his career as a coach). Hence signing him on earlier this year to ward off Adelaide (and a little premature based on the prelim).

Perhaps there are also caveats based on performance in his contract, and that should a position open up elsewhere, he is free to pursue them. 

There are many permutations...and perhaps the cosmos has aligned for both parties.

postscript: Personally I dont think this WILL ACTUALLY happen - but would not be surprised as well, it is the AFL and it moves steadily to an an American stylised free for all for whomever you wish, be it player, fd department, coach. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, John Demonic said:

@Rusty Nails

Ross Lyon is on 57% win loss right? And that's after taking a hit with the last 4 seasons. WOuld make sense to appoint a coach like that if he became available.

Would be interesting which experienced coaches were available when Hawthorn appointed Clarkson or Geelong Thompson.

Malthouse worked out really well for Carlton and Eade for GCS. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Perhaps there is an understanding and an acknowledgement within the club that Goodwin wants to head back to Adelaide at some stage - not that he isn't invested in Melbourne of course,(or at a minimum, his career as a coach). Hence signing him on earlier this year to ward off Adelaide (and a little premature based on the prelim).

Perhaps there are also caveats based on performance in his contract, and that should a position open up elsewhere, he is free to pursue them. 

There are many permutations...and perhaps the cosmos has aligned for both parties.

postscript: Personally I dont think this WILL ACTUALLY happen - but would not be surprised as well, it is the AFL and it moves steadily to an an American stylised free for all for whomever you wish, be it player, fd department, coach. 

 

I'd suggest the club extended Goodwin because they have seen enough of what he brings to commit to him longer term. While this year has been an on field disaster, the players, coaches and club will learn from this and make changes that not only help for 2020 but for the next 5-10 years. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the weekend we should be celebrating Jordan Lewis joining the coaching panel we welcome Alan Richardson with a yet to be arranged role.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chookrat said:

I'd suggest the club extended Goodwin because they have seen enough of what he brings to commit to him longer term. While this year has been an on field disaster, the players, coaches and club will learn from this and make changes that not only help for 2020 but for the next 5-10 years. 

We dont even pay our National Leader for what he says he'll  deliver as opposed our Coach  irrespective  of what he does  deliver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

On the weekend we should be celebrating Jordan Lewis joining the coaching panel we welcome Alan Richardson with a yet to be arranged role.

Interesting perspectives 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    KANGAROO CAUGHT by Whispering Jack

    There was a fair amount of debate in our area as to whether the game warranted a full blown match report because it was felt that it was really an elevated version of a training session with match simulation but against a team in opposition colours. Although notionally the stronger side, North seemed to be using the occasion for the purpose of working on aspects of their game plan, one of the features of which seemed to be based on taking the longest possible route out of defence and good luck w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...