Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

Frustration is flavour of the season. From fans to players we've  had enough of this rubbish. Now as fans there's  not a lot we can do but watch and wait.

Players on the other hand are in the thick of it. Something  I've  noticed  a little  of late is a bit of dissent among the ranks. A bit of niggle between  fellows of the same cloth. Plainly not everyone  is on the same page. 

This screams to me the Coach (s) has lost the group...as a group. Not everyone  is on the same page. Quite possibly some just aren't  fans of a poorly written scribble.

What at least appeared to be a fairly cohesive group is unraveling. 

As it was put to me "you lot don't  play as a team"

Simon says......but not all care to listen.

Party's  over.

• Like 4

Melksham after the game yesterday:

“Goody is very positive and he has been like that all year. Even particularly when I wasn’t playing in that middle part of the year there’d be a few times where I thought I’d come in and there would be a few sprays, but he has been pretty positive about most things,” he said.

“I would definitely say the last few weeks he hasn’t been as his positive self, which is quite high level for those that don’t know."

I think this is actually very good to hear. This would have been an important mlm learning period for Goodwin. I personally still have my doubts but I think it's a good thing there has been a shift in his approach, and that it's identifiable. 

Has Goodwin's change impacted the team negatively? We are noticing a continuing degrading of the quality. It coincides with Melksham's comments.

This is all a good thing. He knows he is under pressure. The playing group is under pressure. Hopefully they all come out of it with a heightened sense of urgency. And I think Goodwin will breath some fire this pre-season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Unleash Hell said:

People have never said the club/coach can't be criticised. You're argument and grandstanding after a loss proves what a pissant weak individual you are. 

I've said the whole time it's not as simple as just Goodwin. Sacking Goodwin won't make all the problems disappear.

Last night was extremely poor, and I've mentioned multiple times that I still have no idea if the players are playing for him or not. And the longer this season goes the worse it's looking for him.

He will be judged by his win loss record

Goodwin is clueless. Seems that you are too. Abusing posters is very mature of you. Check the mirrror.

Read the thread and you'll see that this club is in deep trouble. Probably too hard for you but we can't afford to lose one supporter and there are dozens of committed supporters that are over this club.

As for you footy knowledge - "I've mentioned multiple times that I still have no idea if the players are playing for him or not" - it looks pretty non-existent. The players haven't played for him all year. He hasn't a clue how to turn this train wreck around.

Edited by Demonland
Removed personal attacks
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Not sure the rush to extend his contract?? All we had achieved is a prelim which we were thumped in. I can understand getting swept up in the emotion of playing finals & the stats were positive in 2018, but they have gone backwards in all aspects & whilst injuries will impact its the culture that must stand firm even when losing. The swans fine e.g. had 9 players with less than 50 games yet still the tackle differential  was 17-9 in the 2nd qtr & 44-27 by 1/2 time. Thats culture & game plan & coaches should be judged when things are not going great...Goodwin has failed miserably @ installing the game plan/ culture inc leaders who can't install culture. Lets not forget he had 2 years under Roos plus 3 years as senior coach. It appears his basically thrown out Roos foundations & game plan to become downhill skiers!

Edited by Demonsone
  • Like 2

Not directed at Goody, although he must have a say,  and I am not having a go at the kid, as he tried his guts out and tackled hard, even a few nice subtle touches but on what basis did we recruit Chandler. I hope I am wrong and will be happy if i am but had the same underwhelming impression I got watching Toumpas warm up and play his first game. 

1 minute ago, Sorry kids said:

Not directed at Goody, although he must have a say,  and I am not having a go at the kid, as he tried his guts out and tackled hard, even a few nice subtle touches but on what basis did we recruit Chandler. I hope I am wrong and will be happy if i am but had the same underwhelming impression I got watching Toumpas warm up and play his first game. 

I rate Chandler over Dunkley right now.

The board need to conduct an external review (it will give them cover if they’re too gutless to take the decision themselves) and quickly make a decision on the coach. The fact he has a contract shouldn’t be a factor. Either he’s the right man or he isn’t. If he isn’t then perform your duty as directors and custodians of the club and make the change. Not doing so just compounds the error of giving him a new contract pre-season.

If Goodwin is left in place for next season, starts badly and is gone by the mid-season break (a certainty) then the board should be spilled as well for dereliction of duty.

I’ve heard a lot of valid criticisms about Goodwin this year from game plan, selections etc. For me, the biggest failure of his tenure has been the complete lack of consistency of performance he’s extracted from this team. For the first half of 2017 we maintained the defensive solidity and structures that roos (who left before the job was done btw) had embedded until we got smashed by the Swans mid-season and for the rest of the year our performances yo-yoed until the final round capitulation against the pies.

2018 was the same story. Losing games we shouldn’t have, capitulating badly in some (Hawthorn rd. 4, Richmond) mixed with big wins in others. Yo-yo stuff. 2 games out from finals and we were less than a 50% chance of making them. We then went on the 4 game run to the prelim and I thought finally this team is playing to a consistent standard but low and behold we fell flat on our faces against West Coast.

This year has been abject and needs to be mercifully put out of its misery.

3 years is more than enough time to assess the coach. If he hasn’t got consistent performances after 3 years he never will. He hasn’t delivered and won’t. The players aren’t listening. Last night a team who were on a losing streak themselves came to the G and pantsed us.  Can people not see what’s in front of their eyes?

Some are hoping against hope that it will all right itself next year. That’s delusional. LOOK AT THE LAST 3 YEARS FOR GOD SAKE. The financial hit from sacking him has to be weighed against the lost memberships if he is retained. Supporters will renew and get behind a new coach and cheer on the team. I’m sure of that because our fans have always supported this infuriating team through thick and thin.

We’re in the same situation as St Kilda last year. Look how that turned out.  Richardson eventually sacked and another wasted year for the saints.

To the board of the Melbourne football team - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ACT NOW.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, olisik said:

I rate Chandler over Dunkley right now.

Fair enough, could be right. I just think at that size history shows you have to be exceptionally quick, a regular goal sneak or an accumulator of the ball. I wish the kid all the best and agree he will bust a gut for us next year. So a big tick for attitude.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Fair enough, could be right. I just think at that size history shows you have to be exceptionally quick, a regular goal sneak or an accumulator of the ball. I wish the kid all the best and agree he will bust a gut for us next year. So a big tick for attitude.

Dunkley was absolutely deplorable last night, every disposal he had he turned it over or took the wrong decision or got caught himself. When he doesn’t have the ball he does half assed floppy arm tackle attempts. I know his new but we have all seen new players before and they either have it or they don’t. Also his another inside mid which beggars belief that that’s what we chose to draft mid-season. When that draft is about filling gaps for injured players. Would’ve thought we woulda looked to draft Lowsen as a small forward or a tall backmen as priority but nupp, another inside mid.

Edited by olisik

No.

5 things: 

1. They are not playing for the coach.

2. Our basic skill level has fallen away dramatically.

3. The players “don’t want it enough”.

4. The club will roll out the usual MFC BS.

5. Goodwin cannot recover from this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I reckon it's time to shut this thread down

We've had a bad year - it's happened before

The game plan needs to be adjusted

Let's get our players fit and firing, then make an educated assessment

Trade to ignite the list

We have some ripper players who are down on form and some ripper players who will get on the park eventually

I'm looking forward to 2020 (if I can survive the bloody tennis!)

Edited by jumbo returns
  • Like 4

I just don’t think he has the ability to motivate the team and pull their finger out and work hard. 

This team is lazy and passionless 

12 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

I just don’t think he has the ability to motivate the team and pull their finger out and work hard. 

This team is lazy and passionless 

They're tired

Injuries affect the confidence of a group

They'll regroup - everyone needs a break

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

I reckon it's time to shut this thread down

We've had a bad year - it's happened before

The game plan needs to be adjusted

Let's get our players fit and firing, then make an educated assessment

Trade to ignite the list

We have some ripper players who are down on form and some ripper players who will get on the park eventually

I'm looking forward to 2020 (if I can survive the bloody tennis!)

I agree with you Jumbo, ranting and raving in this thread is't going to fix any problems and for those showing a dislike of Goodwin as coach how many times do want to repeat it here.If you feel that strongly about it go down to the club and tell those concerned in person.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Goody was on 3AW earlier and gave a very candid interview I thought.

It’s very clear that he thinks him and the coaches really stuffed up the game plan over the off-season. Also hinted that the club did very little match simulation training (leading to poor fundamentals under pressure) and instead just focused on minor tweaks to last year’s game plan.

https://www.3aw.com.au/simon-goodwin-not-hiding-away-from-horror-season/

If he doesn’t get it right over the off-season this time he’ll be gone early.

Edited by At the break of Gawn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

They're tired

The epitome of one hand clapping

There is no reason for this coach to continue.why would anybody want the thread shutdown. Really???

Get it done

5 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

It’s very clear that he thinks him and the coaches really stuffed up the game plan over the off-season. Also hinted that the club did very little match simulation training (leading to poor fundamentals under pressure) and instead just focused on minor tweaks to last year’s game plan.

What an indictment on 2019 to be that arrogant. At least he has now finally said it. Maybe now he will take notice of the Preliminary Final capitulation and just maybe learn from it. 

He has completely ruined an entire year. 

Hanging by the barest thread in my view...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

They're tired

Good players take a well earned rest after September...

the epitome of a weak club right there...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kent said:

There is no reason for this coach to continue.why would anybody want the thread shutdown. Really???

Get it done

he is not going anywhere so just get used to it.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Good players take a well earned rest after September...

the epitome of a weak club right there...

I still think the list is a couple of years away from getting used to consistent September action

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

he is not going anywhere so just get used to it.

What are your inside connections to be so confident of yourself in every post 

more to the point, you would go down with the Titanic, because it was the strongest ship ever built. 

Just like Satyr who goes to training weekly, but really sees nothing...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

Get it done

It's been a bad year

Everyone's had a chance to have a say 

More hand wringing ain't gonna help

Need to fix rather than rant - Goodwin is showing signs that he's listening

He has until mid year, methinks...

• Like 2

Just now, jumbo returns said:

I still think the list is a couple of years away from getting used to consistent September action

This list doesn’t want to play, let alone do it in September 

i hope the 2 Captains are stood down this coming week. 

Make a stand...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

This list doesn’t want to play, let alone do it in September 

i hope the 2 Captains are stood down this coming week. 

Make a stand...

I agree

We make a start

Now's the time to unpack, revisit and start the exit interviews

Process and cool heads 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Just after hearing the SEN interview as well, it’s actually more of a case of the coaches tinkering too much with the game plan (trying to add “fancy layers to it”) and not actually focusing on the core/foundations of the game plan. This resulted in something that now looks nothing like a clearly recognisable game plan or brand.

Terry Wallace asked Goody “when did you have a feeling this was going to be a tough ship to turn around?” Goody said he had doubts as early as during the summer and then those doubts became real after round 3.

Kane asked Goody if Max will be captain next year. Goody said the leadership will be reviewed over summer and they’ll make a decision. It also seemed to suggest he was happy with Jack and Nathan’s tenure, but it almost sounded like there was a finality to it. Goody also said Max is capable of being captain and said his leadership had grown “considerably”.

Edited by At the break of Gawn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1