Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

3 hours ago, demonique said:

I would like to know how clear is this so called relationship with the players?

I was on the plane with the team to Alice Springs and in the Virgin lounge before flying and I observed quite closely and I didn’t like what I saw. Bad body language . Goodwin didn’t speak to hardly anybody in the lounge and on the plane journey . It’s a fragmented situation . Mirrored yesterday as the players walked off . Im convinced Goodwin has lost a large proportion of the playing group .

So you expecting coaches to run around hi five each player.. coaches talk to their players all week at game day etc not saying there aren’t any issues but making ur analysis based on the above???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

So you expecting coaches to run around hi five each player.. coaches talk to their players all week at game day etc not saying there aren’t any issues but making ur analysis based on the above???

I think you would have to be there to know what I'm basing it on. Not high fiving, players do that after their too few goals this season ! 

57 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

No but him not having said one word to certain fringe players all year is certainly not what id expect from a senior coach. I have this on good authority. Things are worse than many would like to believe. 

On 5/23/2018 at 8:35 PM, Wolfgang219 said:

Still don’t believe he is a good coach.

I am not confident that he has the ability to change his mind during the game and influence the result through his tactics, decisions etc. 

A coach gets judged on their win/loss record although the metric is down to pure luck. Injuries and talent on a list can change the win/loss record dramatically.

A great example is Scott(Geelong) and Dimmi are both premiership coach’s and now seen as having the ultimate tick of endorsement. One was lucky to take over a great side and the other should of been sacked in 2016 but a great injury run and a dominate player and he is know a great coach. 

Goodwin has been given a side full of talent and it will be interesting to see the response of both him and the team when they start getting involved in high pressure games. 

Important post. Fast forward a little more than a year later and Goodwin has run out of Get Out Of Jail Free cards. This preseason and start to 2020 is the most important of his and his football department's AFL careers. A clean bill of health and player management is integral. No excuses. He'll go into preseason with a few players in cotton wool (probably May, Lever, Weeds, a few others), and should get any of Viney Oliver and Brayshaw in asap to get them ready for after the Christmas break.

Goodwin has 13 games to save his coaching career. If he fails he'll be an assistant for the rest of his life.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, praha said:

He won't last through 2020 if we're battling for finals. even the likes of Hinkley and Pyke haven't seen such a major dropoff as we have. So they've had some room to grow. Crows had a disastrous year last year and were still on the cusp of finals. This year is a transitional year as they slowly move out the older brigade. Given they have lost so much talent over the years I think Pyke should be commended. Hinkley could be on the edge but it's hard to gauge where Port is at. They have drafted some talent over the years and so his recruiting prowess is undisputed. 

Goodwin however is shaping to be an exceptionally poor leader. Has brought in injury prone defensive players, one who was out of shape and another with knee problems with which we gave up first round picks for. In the long run it may benefit us but atm it's shaping up as Dawes and Clarke 2.0. 

He has done okay to pick up solid role players of the Hore, Fritsch variety and they have heaps of room to grow but we've allowed the likes of Hogan and Kent to walk. IMO we've lost far more than we've gained (so far).

He's had a healthy midfield ALL season and we've seen NO adjustment to the functionality or structure. Our transitional defense that was solid in Roos' last season has gotten progressively worse under Goodwin. We don't get scored against as heavily but as soon as we the the ball over, we gift teams transition through the corridor. We may as well give them the keys to the car while we let teams steal goals after we work so hard to get the ball.

I am somewhat confident we'll see improvement in early 2020, pressure can do that, but I just don't think this bloke has it. To offer him the extension we did, after round 23 2017, and the prelim, was a mistake especially befitting of the MFC.

I know for a fact an external review will be undertaken. The club may keep it under wraps but there are people within the club that are already pushing for him to be gone. Unity and stability is so important but the impact this year has had on this club is far greater than people realise. Even last night, if we were battling for top 4 (as we should be), you'd be looking at a crowd of 60k-70k. Instead we couldn't even crack 40k and there were maybe 2k Melbourne supporters there for a home game. That game along has cost us probably 150k in lost potential takings.

Years like this aren't just coach killing. They're club killing. Especially when you consider where we've come from. Sometimes stability is important but you also need to fail quickly. By round 8 if there is any doubt he should be gone. And if the club were smart (that alone is a stretch) then it would be doing its due diligence now and gauging interest for potential replacements. If we miss finals next year you're looking at a full rebuild.

I can't let this one slide.

First the Crows comment. I guarantee that if that was us you'd be ripping into Pyke - taking a list primed for the 2017 premiership, choking in the GF, then the stupid camp, then missing finals with that same list, then playing some pretty poor football throughout 2019 and in danger of missing finals again. You'd be going on about how it's all about premierships and that they're (clearly) not going to win it this year so that's 2 failed seasons in a row since the choke.

Then the Clarke/Dawes comment. May's shown better football in his games this year than Dawes probably ever did and Lever was an AA when we traded for him. Every club sends first round picks out the door for talent and plenty of others make mistakes (e.g. Collingwood and Beams).

Then the comment about letting Hogan and Kent to walk. Hogan wanted to leave. The revisionism around that is ridiculous. He wouldn't commit. We turned him into a key defender following a year in which we were the highest scoring side but needed to improve our defence. And you're upset about it? And as for Kent, spare me.

Then the comment about no change in functionality or structure. Just a completely incorrect statement when comparing how we played pre-bye and post-bye. It's not working, but it's changed.

We've got to be performing by the middle of next year if he wants to continue to be our coach. If we aren't in contention early, he should be fired. But not because of some of the stuff in this post.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

I can't let this one slide.

First the Crows comment. I guarantee that if that was us you'd be ripping into Pyke - taking a list primed for the 2017 premiership, choking in the GF, then the stupid camp, then missing finals with that same list, then playing some pretty poor football throughout 2019 and in danger of missing finals again. You'd be going on about how it's all about premierships and that they're (clearly) not going to win it this year so that's 2 failed seasons in a row since the choke.

Then the Clarke/Dawes comment. May's shown better football in his games this year than Dawes probably ever did and Lever was an AA when we traded for him. Every club sends first round picks out the door for talent and plenty of others make mistakes (e.g. Collingwood and Beams).

Then the comment about letting Hogan and Kent to walk. Hogan wanted to leave. The revisionism around that is ridiculous. He wouldn't commit. We turned him into a key defender following a year in which we were the highest scoring side but needed to improve our defence. And you're upset about it? And as for Kent, spare me.

Then the comment about no change in functionality or structure. Just a completely incorrect statement when comparing how we played pre-bye and post-bye. It's not working, but it's changed.

We've got to be performing by the middle of next year if he wants to continue to be our coach. If we aren't in contention early, he should be fired. But not because of some of the stuff in this post.

All fair. But if we were in the same situation as the Crows, given what that club has gone through I think there would be more flexibility. Some players have also had some extremely confronting personal issues last off season and yet here they are still battling for a top 8 spot. They were impacted by injuries far more last year than we were llthis year and only just missed. It's reasonable to expect them to linger. As a club they never bottom out like we do so if we were like the Crows I don't think I'd care as much. For the record though Crows fans want Pyke gone.

My wording around Hogan and Kent was wrong but my opinion stands. May and Lever are good gets and the Dawes Clarke comparison was hyperbolic from a purely skill based perspective but what I meant was that these players were brought in for an immediate impact and for almost identical reasons (injury, personal issues, off field behavior), their time at the club has been impacted. I wasnt trying to compare Dawes directly with May. Obviously May is a better player. And I know Goodwin and co can't predict injuries but May's conditioning leading into the season is a major indictment on the club's player management. It's not a coincidence that he's had these injuries. That's not to say every injury is caused by poor conditioning but sometimes there is a connection. 

As for structure, I agree and disagree. Structurally I think our defensive 6 has improved and is getting better but defensive accountability and two way running has been an issue since 2017. Turnovers and corridor transition is phoned in by most opposition teams against us, week in and week out. Nothing has changed since then and if not for an improved backline we'd be getting belted by even more. Our percentage is 79% with 3 games remaining and will likely fall to 75%. This is actually a strong percentage for a team with only 5 wins which is a positive. 

This all stands against Goodwin though. At least we can agree he has until round 10.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Some "tinkering" has been done 'titan' but the core of the game is the same.

In the words of Cotchin at half time...we need to win a bit more of the contested ball & we know we can get them on the outside.

We are the easiest team in the AFL to play against.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, stranga said:

No but him not having said one word to certain fringe players all year is certainly not what id expect from a senior coach. I have this on good authority.

I have heard this type of garbage before regarding Balme and Daniher, it usually comes around when the teams don't perform to the expectations of grumpy supporters. Name the so called good authority.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, demonique said:

I was on the plane with the team to Alice Springs and in the Virgin lounge before flying and I observed quite closely and I didn’t like what I saw. Bad body language . Goodwin didn’t speak to hardly anybody in the lounge and on the plane journey . It’s a fragmented situation . Mirrored yesterday as the players walked off . Im convinced Goodwin has lost a large proportion of the playing group .

About a month ago a Melbourne listed player's parent was heard to be talking about how Goodwin has clear favourites, I believe they used the term "Goody's boys", and how unhappy they were with the treatment of their son and how selections have been handled.

Obviously that kind of thing can be a bit subjective and influenced by personal experience, but combine that with the earlier comments from Shaun Smith and you start to get a little bit of a worrying picture into these kinds of things.

I don't know if that means he's lost a large portion of the playing group, they could be two completely isolated examples, but even from an outsiders point of view there's been some baffling decisions made at the selection table this year, even more than previous years.

• Like 1

The biggest worry for me is that no player has improved this season, except for Salem who you could argue has improved off the back of an injury free season for the first time in his career.

Meantime we’ve seen massive declines in Viney, Brayshaw, Harmes, McDonaldx2 and the list goes on. Maybe injuries are the cause, or lack of pre season, I don’t know without having inside knowledge. But to me to lack of progression and worryingly the regression of some of these players, is where I wonder if Goodwin is the sort of coach that can get the best out of his list, or was last year a combination of high emotions and enthusiasm from a young group?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Jaded said:

The biggest worry for me is that no player has improved this season, except for Salem who you could argue has improved off the back of an injury free season for the first time in his career.

Meantime we’ve seen massive declines in Viney, Brayshaw, Harmes, McDonaldx2 and the list goes on. Maybe injuries are the cause, or lack of pre season, I don’t know without having inside knowledge. But to me to lack of progression and worryingly the regression of some of these players, is where I wonder if Goodwin is the sort of coach that can get the best out of his list, or was last year a combination of high emotions and enthusiasm from a young group?

Good coaching is both something inherent in the individual and a learning process. When you combine the two parts you have something special.  

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Ignoring the rest of this this post, I have to ask, Harmes?? The case could be made that he is now our best midfielder. He's more certainly more damaging with the ball than Oliver. 

Edited by ArtificialWisdom

I think that the well documented poor preseason as well as injuries during that time and subsequently were enough to undo 2019.

That said, there are problems with the way the team plays under Goodwin that have been exacerbated by this. I note there has been some effort to change this post the mid season bye. It appears that the team is trying to use slow play (kick-mark), switch the ball more and set up better defensively but given the lack of skills which I believe are confidence related more than anything - it’s all too late. 

I’ve lost faith in Goodwin, however, given the club re-signed him and will haemorrhage money on the back of this year and is intent on giving up poker machine revenue, the reality is that he will most likely see out his contract. I can only hope against hope that this chastening year allows him to reflect, readjust the game plan and come out of it a better coach. Missing the finals in 2017 was embarrassing, getting bollocked in the 2018 prelim was humiliating and the absolute fall in 2019 is disgraceful and unacceptable.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

About a month ago a Melbourne listed player's parent was heard to be talking about how Goodwin has clear favourites, I believe they used the term "Goody's boys", and how unhappy they were with the treatment of their son and how selections have been handled.

Obviously that kind of thing can be a bit subjective and influenced by personal experience, but combine that with the earlier comments from Shaun Smith and you start to get a little bit of a worrying picture into these kinds of things.

I don't know if that means he's lost a large portion of the playing group, they could be two completely isolated examples, but even from an outsiders point of view there's been some baffling decisions made at the selection table this year, even more than previous years.

funny you say that..I've hear there's quite a bit of consternation and discontent among quite a few parents.

it's far from a happy team at Melbourne....and they play like it

p.s.

it's not Goody alone forming that list of favourites either  ;);) 

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, praha said:

Important post. Fast forward a little more than a year later and Goodwin has run out of Get Out Of Jail Free cards. This preseason and start to 2020 is the most important of his and his football department's AFL careers. A clean bill of health and player management is integral. No excuses. He'll go into preseason with a few players in cotton wool (probably May, Lever, Weeds, a few others), and should get any of Viney Oliver and Brayshaw in asap to get them ready for after the Christmas break.

Goodwin has 13 games to save his coaching career. If he fails he'll be an assistant for the rest of his life.

Well put, praha. I'd go further - it is my genuine opinion that Goodwin has spent his allowance as Coach.

• He has had difficulties with player availability yet every coach has these interruptions to initial plans. 
  • Adaptation is negligible to overcome such issues so therefore, Goodwin seems inflexible on so many fronts.
  • The players have struggled to interpret and adopt his game plans and also appear to reject many of these in game situations.
  • Goodwin accepts poor form, particularly that of those players who should be drivers of success given the frequency of their selection and the returns that they fail to deliver: ANB, OMac, Spargo, Lewis, Jones, Viney and a few others.
  • Goodwin fails to implement game-day changes, variations, remedial actions to affect improved player returns.
  • Player development and experience is kept very low - in particular, Casey depth.
  • Goodwin has overseen critically incorrect injury management processes and player risk-taking.
  • Goodwin lacks communication depth and is too accepting of mediocrity in performance.

Sack him rather than extend his appointment for another preseason and fixture that will only be 'full of hope', not outcomes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Frost?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Deesprate said:

Totally agree with those comment. With out doubt currently assessed the two biggest disasters have been the recruitment of Lever and May. Unless something changes these two are shaping up as wipe out. Lever is injury prone selecting him was alway high risk. How can you have any confidence in the guy. Plus from the limited time he played does not go at it hard enough. Lloyd called it out and he was spot on. May I know for a fact was freely offloaded by the Suns. They simply didn’t rate his work ethic or leadership yet we snap him up. So far the guy has been an injury prone liability. I am sure no one will put there hand up if this turn up as a bust. Dawes and Clark is an apt comparison.

I simply cannot agree with this.

Lever was a required player at the Crows. The Captain threw him under the bus for leaving. He's a terrific player.

And we beat several other clubs to secure May's signature. He's a gun - and I think he'll prove to be a great player for us.

I suspect the problem with the May/Hogan trade has been that, like many here and in the media at the time, the club over-rated Tom McDonald's and the Weed's ability to kick plenty of goals in 2019, based upon their body of work from the end of 2018. This hasn't happened. More than anything, this is perhaps what has hurt us the most in the forward line.

Let's not forget, Hogan spent a fair amount of time off the field in his time with the club - and was always considered a flight risk. Hardly a 'disastrous trade'.

There's plenty of revisionism going on here at the moment.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

funny you say that..I've hear there's quite a bit of consternation and discontent among quite a few parents.

p.s.

With all the injuries this year, can you tell me who hasn't been given a chance that should have been ?

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

p.s.

This sort of chat and rumor discussion is really disconcerting if true and i have no reason to believe it or not believe it really. It was only September last year when the team looked incredibly happy. 

This is where this club really worries me, we are never far from it being an absolute mess of a club.

2 hours ago, Jaded said:

The biggest worry for me has been Brayshaw. Last year there were games where he played like a guy that deserved to finish 3rd in the brownlow.

This year he has lost that real burst and acceleration from the stoppages. Almost moving in the same way as what Jack Trengove was back in 2013. Hoping he's just carrying some niggles and will get on top of them once season finishes.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I simply cannot agree with this.

Lever was a required player at the Crows. The Captain threw him under the bus for leaving. He's a terrific player.

And we beat several other clubs to secure May's signature. He's a gun - and I think he'll prove to be a great player for us.

I suspect the problem with the May/Hogan trade has been that, like many here and in the media at the time, the club over-rated Tom McDonald's and the Weed's ability to kick plenty of goals in 2019, based upon their body of work from the end of 2018. This hasn't happened. More than anything, this is perhaps what has hurt us the most in the forward line.

Let's not forget, Hogan spent a fair amount of time off the field in his time with the club - and was always considered a flight risk. Hardly a 'disastrous trade'.

There's plenty of revisionism going on here at the moment.

I think May was a good call, and will be after a good pre season. 

But i maintain that the Lever trade was a desperate bit of business and we were derelict in our duties to hand over 2 first round picks for a player who cant defend 1 on 1 and is not a great decision maker with ball in hand and oftern does not execute anywhere near what you need from a bloke on $800k and worth 2 first round picks. 

Id suggest we worked that our pretty quickly and hence had to target  May because of it.

3 hours ago, Jaded said:

Not true, IMO. Petracca has clearly taken another step.

As for Brayshaw and Tom McDonald, they were and have been clearly majorly hampered by injuries all year. Even Viney was in and out and Oscar McDonald is a tall that has struggled for the last two years, and probably won't make it, but our FD are pursuing the possibility, which is fair enough when finals is over.

And Harmes has been good this year. 

So basically disagree with all of it, mate. :D

19 hours ago, demonique said:

I was in the Quantas lounge before a flight back from Perth in April 2008. Geelong had just beaten the Dockers. Bomber Thompson was on his computer, all the other players sat around and watched their phones and during the long flight back I didn't see much inter mingling among the players. ...

For what it's worth. They were the reigning premiers, I believe....

• Like 2

Never been 100% sold on Goodwin's ability to change things up on gameday when things aren't working,  but I've put that down to him still learning the ropes. Sure this year has been a [censored] mess, but at what point have we had a settled side, or even one game where we had our best 22  / 25 on the park? There are bigger problems at the club than the coach. Mission going is a start, but I also think a shakeup of the assistants is needed. And if some players are whining about his style (dunno if this is true or not), then trade them out. The tail wagging the dog has been a cancer at this club for far too long.

I'll judge him on next year when he has a regular team, and changes are made on form and not necessity.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dieter said:

I was in the Quantas lounge before a flight back from Perth in April 2008. Geelong had just beaten the Dockers. Bomber Thompson was on his computer, all the other players sat around and watched their phones and during the long flight back I didn't see much inter mingling among the players. ...

For what it's worth. They were the reigning premiers, I believe....

What were they watching on phones in 2008? Were they playing snake? 

• Love 1
  • Haha 2