Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

10 hours ago, Demonsone said:

Would love to hear from Pert & president .. I know they spoke earlier during the year but at what stage do they address their members & discuss the disastrous season & what their plans are.. the silence is deafening!

Couldn’t agree more. Typical MFC. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, praha said:

If this were the NBA he would have been gone mid-season. 

Whilst this is true @praha thank god we are not the NBA. The decline this year may be unacceptable to you - I think there are a range of mitigating factors. 

You COULD cut out what is perceived to be broken... but then Roos, Thompson,  Hardwick, Clarkson, Buckley (who is fetted now without a premiership) Simpson et al, would never have won premierships, when it was perceived THEIR gameplans were broken, or THEY couldn't coach.

Why is it that stability, and allowing a coach time to refine gameplan's, accumulating the right personnel,  is not seen as evidence of 'best practice', whilst understanding there will be times along the way where the team underperforms against media/internal/external expectations of where they should be?

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Thehardtackler said:

Brett Ratten would have us playing better football than Goodwin within a few weeks at the helm.

That’s why he got sacked from his role as Coach?

We actually don’t even need to play better football, we just need to convert our shots at goal. 

That is the joke of the whole situation, not that it is the slightest bit funny.

Recognise 7-16 to 14-4. That or something similar has been the scores in our games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Carl said:

Couldn’t agree more. Typical MFC. 

Typical MFC? 10 years ago typical MFC would be to panic and come out with some stupid comment from the board or ceo that feeds the sense of panic.

There is no crisis, so we don't need to hear from the prez or ceo. And it fills me with confidence they haven't reacted to nervous  nellies.

Besides Bartlett did make recent public comments, along the  lines of we are in good shape and this year is an outlier, we are working on improving and we will be rebound strongly next year. Good, strong leadership.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Redleg said:

That’s why he got sacked from his role as Coach?

We actually don’t even need to play better football, we just need to convert our shots at goal. 

That is the joke of the whole situation, not that it is the slightest bit funny.

Recognise 7-16 to 14-4. That or something similar has been the scores in our games.

True Redleg and I agree we miss some terrible gettable shots which is nearly unforgivable, we do not get ourselves in position to give ourselves easy shots at goals like the top teams do. So often you watch the top teams and a play starts evolving just back of centre and you immediately see the link up is on and a clear path opens to straight forward goal. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, binman said:

Typical MFC? 10 years ago typical MFC would be to panic and come out with some stupid comment from the board or ceo that feeds the sense of panic.

There is no crisis, so we don't need to hear from the prez or ceo. And it fills me with confidence they haven't reacted to nervous  nellies.

Besides Bartlett did make recent public comments, along the  lines of we are in good shape and this year is an outlier, we are working on improving and we will be rebound strongly next year. Good, strong leadership.

You are obviously very patient.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Fascinating .

Actually  we DO need to play better football as that might result in more goals.

Dumb fugazi footy out. Coherent, skilled footy in.

31 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Actually  we DO need to play better football as that might result in more goals.

Not the way we kick.

• Haha 1

Yes we’ve had injuries, so have many other clubs, we’ve got no depth, we continue to play Wagner bros and the ‘runner’ ANB thinking he can play football🙄.

Goodwin is not the guy for the job, this years coaching performance is the worst since Neeld in ‘12, ‘13, the players have no confidence, cannot kick the ball, cannot handball properly, continually fumble, and worst of all seem to give up when going gets a bit tough, soft is the word for it.

Goodwin is NOT the man for the job and should be replaced at end of year! 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Not the way we kick.

Better kicking IS part of better football. 

Im sure you are as dismayed as I as to the ridiculous level of our general disposal  ( foot and hand )

Hell if ( as a forward ) i couldn't  be relied upon to kick 30m monty's  then I'd  have never got a game...and that was just in the burbs !!

This is bread and butter stuff. Shouldn't  even be an issue. As a club we've  dropped the ball (PI ) Whoever oversees this aspect should be sacked and replaced. 

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, praha said:

If this were the NBA he would have been gone mid-season. 

It's not the NBA.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

It's not the NBA.

I'm... Ron Burgundy?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

Demon 17.

According to his great info from a senior coach by the Prelim the boys were exhausted. That is the most pathetic of pathetic excuses I have ever heard. And as for learning lessons from the Bulldogs, they won a flag in Beveridges second year.

You misunderstand SK.

The point about Luke Beveridge is that after a flag, the doggies are the first team for years and years that have missed the finals 3 years straight.  The doggies could have let him go but no, they chose maturity and long term thinking and re-appointed long term. A la Tiges and Hardwick having 7 years to get it right..

Some people argue the doggies list was a build by Brendan McCartney that Beveridge had the benefit of, such as with Chris Scott and Bombers list in 2011. Good luck to them in any case.

• Like 1

we are doing so much right, and while i feel there are a few things we could do better, if we had been more efficient in front of goal we could easily have another 3-4 wins and still be in the mix for finals. 

the old saying in footy, it's never as bad as it seems. 

would love to know what's going on with Gussy boy though, not sure if he's uncomfortable with his role, i personally think our midfield looks it's best with Brayshaw, Oliver and Harmes around the ball, and Viney forward tackling and applying pressure, Viney and Oliver swapping

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

I personally think our midfield looks it's best with Brayshaw, Oliver and Harmes around the ball, and Viney forward tackling and applying pressure, Viney and Oliver swapping

Viney could play as permanent small forward for the rest of the season.  With Jones across half back we've found a spot for him going forward (at least for the remainder of the season)

We've got nothing to lose by trying players in different positions and the move of Lewis & Fritsch forward would have paid dividends on Sunday if, as a collective, we didn't miss so many set shots. 

But back to Viney ... he's super tenacious,  has enough pace,  wins his own ball,  is a good kick for goal and knows how to apply defensive pressure.  Has all the hallmarks of what we're looking for in a small forward.  His tenaciousness makes up for him not being a speedster.  And he knows how to play in front of his man.

For the rest of the season ...

HF :  Fritsch   Weideman   Petracca

F :     Viney         Lewis          Hunt

Petty takes the CHF spot if Weideman is unavailable.  Weideman told to make 10-15 leads per quarter as well a number of dummy leads.  It's time he was told how to play footy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Macca said:

Viney could play as permanent small forward for the rest of the season.  With Jones across half back we've found a spot for him going forward (at least for the remainder of the season)

We've got nothing to lose by trying players in different positions and the move of Lewis & Fritsch forward would have paid dividends on Sunday if, as a collective, we didn't miss so many set shots. 

But back to Viney ... he's super tenacious,  has enough pace,  wins his own ball,  is a good kick for goal and knows how to apply defensive pressure.  Has all the hallmarks of what we're looking for in a small forward.  His tenaciousness makes up for him not being a speedster.  And he knows how to play in front of his man.

For the rest of the season ...

HF :  Fritsch   Weideman   Petracca

F :     Viney         Lewis          Hunt

Petty takes the CHF spot if Weideman is unavailable.  Weideman told to make 10-15 leads per quarter as well a number of dummy leads.  It's time he was told how to play footy.

Lewis' footy smarts made him a really dangerous target down there so i'd be happy for him to play forward for the rest of the year. 

as for Viney. i see him as a 60-40 midfielder and Oliver the same, so i think those two could rotate forward. we saw late last year how dangerous clarry can be up there. 

if it were my decision i'd be looking at bringing in Dan Butler or Sam Gray as a pressure forward and trying to play Viney down there a bit more. also don't underestimate the importance of Melksham down there. 

for me best forward set up is 

Melksham  McDonald  Fritsch 

Petracca   Petty  Viney

Hunt, Harmes, Clarry, and co rotating through and applying pressure. two very good users at high half forward should drastically increase our efficiency inside 50

• Like 2

Maybe just me but id be happy leaving Lewis in a pocket..rest of this year and next ( until someone forces him out )

Im not sure at all as to what people see in Viney as a forward. Hes a mid. His kicking is a bit yo yo. Bit like Max.

2 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

Lewis' footy smarts made him a really dangerous target down there so i'd be happy for him to play forward for the rest of the year. 

as for Viney. i see him as a 60-40 midfielder and Oliver the same, so i think those two could rotate forward. we saw late last year how dangerous clarry can be up there. 

if it were my decision i'd be looking at bringing in Dan Butler or Sam Gray as a pressure forward and trying to play Viney down there a bit more. also don't underestimate the importance of Melksham down there. 

for me best forward set up is 

Melksham  McDonald  Fritsch 

Petracca   Petty  Viney

Hunt, Harmes, Clarry, and co rotating through and applying pressure. two very good users at high half forward should drastically increase our efficiency inside 50

Melksham & T-Mac for sure but there's a forward line for now and then there's next year

But I'm not sure that those selected in the forward line this year will have a great bearing on next year.

Of those who are currently available I only see Petracca & Fritsch as being pencilled in for next season.  Melksham & T-Mac slot back in but that still leaves 2 slots up for grabs next season.

In an ideal world we'd recruit 2 plug in and play forwards.  A small forward and a key forward.  Again,  just my view as I reckon we need to change things up to see rapid improvement. 

Viney could be looked at this year as well as your suggested choice of Oliver.  Hunt will be thereabouts same for Petty.  And Weideman if fit.  Lockhart could get a few more games but I'd like to see the 6 that I listed given a chance to work together ... post #3316

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macca said:

Melksham & T-Mac for sure but there's a forward line for now and then there's next year

But I'm not sure that those selected in the forward line this year will have a great bearing on next year.

Of those who are currently available I only see Petracca & Fritsch as being pencilled in for next season.  Melksham & T-Mac slot back in but that still leaves 2 slots up for grabs next season.

In an ideal world we'd recruit 2 plug in and play forwards.  A small forward and a key forward.  Again,  just my view as I reckon we need to change things up to see rapid improvement. 

Viney could be looked at this year as well as your suggested choice of Oliver.  Hunt will be thereabouts same for Petty.  And Weideman if fit.  Lockhart could get a few more games but I'd like to see the 6 that I listed given a chance to work together ... post #3316

for me it's all about forward pressure. we need to hire the best avaliable forward coach and have an absolutely flawless set up. our kicking isn't the best so we either need to improve it, i.e trade one of Brayshaw, Oliver, Viney for someone with more class. or we need to cover it. a perfect forward set up could make life a lot easier for those guys. 

if it were my choice i'm chasing Sam Gray, Dan Butler, getting both down there with Petracca and Fritsch, move Melksham up to a wing rotating forward and offering up that pick 2 for an established Key forward, or significant outside run, i wonder if a swap including pick 2 could convince the Dockers to part with Brad Hill, Ed Langdon and Tabbenar 

Viney is a better kick for goal than his around the ground kicking.  Same deal for Fritsch.  T-Mac as well if we're taking into account his spatial awareness issues that he had in the backline (periodically)

And Viney has never played in the forward line for long enough for us to know anyway.  Or we could just persevere with mediocrity.

Posted (edited)
On 7/15/2019 at 4:49 PM, Demonland said:

Where is the Melbourne Football Club at?

Lyon: They’re the most disappointing team of the year. Carlton win this weekend against Gold Coast and Melbourne loses to West Coast, then they’ll drop to 17th. Their defence is looking okay, the midfield is a bit messy but finds plenty of the footy, but it remains the front half.

Lyon: Simon Goodwin is getting a bit of pass because of what happened last year, but gee it’s coming next year.

Saw a bit of training at Gosch's before the West Coast game. Saw the game a few days later. Seen it all before, this season. Not impressive, just over-familiar routines and not a great deal of effort or advice from those from whence the goodly method should emanate. Rapidly looking forward to the season ending. Booked a trans-Siberian rail tour to compensate before the finals begin. Lyon is correct, something is coming next year! 

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

Don't laugh at this guys, but if Adelaide decide to fire Pyke in the next 6 games, do you think Goodwin is a chance of wanting to leave/amicably part ways? And where would that put us? Who would we approach to coach the club?

Edited by John Demonic
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Lyon is correct, something is coming next year! 

The only issue i have with that DM, is that everyone except within the MFC walls can see how poor we have been and continue to be.

So they are either too ignorant to recognise reality, or they are trying to make changes but they're not working (coach not having an effect). Either way, it needs to be resolved this year not next.

Edited by Demon Disciple

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

for me it's all about forward pressure. we need to hire the best avaliable forward coach and have an absolutely flawless set up. our kicking isn't the best so we either need to improve it, i.e trade one of Brayshaw, Oliver, Viney for someone with more class. or we need to cover it. a perfect forward set up could make life a lot easier for those guys. 

if it were my choice i'm chasing Sam Gray, Dan Butler, getting both down there with Petracca and Fritsch, move Melksham up to a wing rotating forward and offering up that pick 2 for an established Key forward, or significant outside run, i wonder if a swap including pick 2 could convince the Dockers to part with Brad Hill, Ed Langdon and Tabbenar 

Brayshaw,  Oliver & Viney are all keepers for me.  They've been down on form this year but all 3 will be back up and firing before you know it.

Some creative recruiting will be needed so as to get what we need though.  Next year's 1st round draft pick might be put up and we might be able to parcel up some of the non keepers (somehow) 

The top end draft pick (pick #2 or #3?) will probably be used on the best midfielder type you'd reckon but after that it might get interesting.

Goodwin won't die wondering if I'm guessing correctly.  His coaching future is on the line so he'll make the appropriate changes.

Interesting times ahead and you might end up being right with who we might trade out Patches.  Time will tell.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1