Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

His pre season communication was lacking.

Perhaps he assumed that someone who had been a captain of another club and with 8 years AFL experience  would know what was required. If May didn't understand what was required, the problem is May's.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mauriesy said:

Perhaps he assumed that someone who had been a captain of another club and with 8 years AFL experience  would know what was required. If May didn't understand what was required, the problem is May's.

You know what hapiens when you assume ??

Goodwins not paid to fn assume ffs

Hes paid to do

So far done little of note...except drive us into the turf.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Of course it is. We are 2nd last on the ladder and couldn't hit the side of a barn - Week after week after f*****g week

3rd qtr we were 6 goals 9 from set shots, Eagles 5 goals straight. That is the game right here,. 

We are our own worst enemy because we have idiot footballers who continually cannot hit targets or score goals.

And if we win a few more of those close games by kicking better and fíng up less we are knocking on the door of the 8, that's how close the competition is.

Execution is very important I agree.

You can cry all you want about it, its not going to change the result and adds little to the analysis. What ever makes u feel better at the end of the day, I don't give a crap if you're upset.

What do the say in the states.... Go to Oprah... don't quote me in your butt hurt posts

Edited by Unleash Hell

40 minutes ago, mauriesy said:

Look, it is 2019. We are competing in a billion dollar competition. A 15 year old starting work at McDonalds has a full induction before commencing work to ensure they on board with what is required of them. let alone a player coming from the bsket case Club of the competition. But, oh no, not at Melbourne we just assume new players  knows what is expected of them..

40 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

Execution is very important I agree.

There in reality is no more important  aspect  of the game as Goal Kicking..

Whatever else is very important. ..climb that and place goal kucking upon it.

The game is decided by a score. Nothing else

Apparently  drills to bring the ball into our scoring zone dont represent  who and what we are...and capable of.

Ive not heard about any distinct goal kicking mentoring etc..Just general training.

We are not  a bright club by a country mile

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

A forward line of:

HF:  Petracca - McDonald - Hannan

FF:  Melksham - Weideman - Fritsch

Looks relatively potent to me, although one of those might have to go up the ground to accommodate a stay at home small forward.  Four of those are currently injured, or have struggled since coming back from injury, so we have plenty to add to that part of the ground.

Petracca - is becoming a more and more reliable/exciting player, but the pace of his progress has been on the slow side. For him to be considered amongst the league’s elite one day, he’ll have to step up higher and quicker than he’s done in the past. 

McDonald - I’m just not convinced. Yes, there were glimpses right before he did the knee, but I don’t think he has the strength in a pack to be considered a dominant full-forward. I would of course, love to be proven wrong 

Hannan - will have his share of handy moments once he reconditions, but I just can’t see him setting the league on fire. But that’s ok. Many good players don’t. But like a couple of others, he’ll be playing for his short and long term place in the team next year. 

Melksham - I’ve really missed Milkshake this year. Brings poise and skill into our inside 50. Let’s hope he comes back sturdy and hungry. 

Weid - Simply cannot echo this season’s form if he wants to keep his place in the team. Needs to find some self-belief. He’s got the skills, but he’s also got a pretty bad case of the yips. 

Fritsch - a key forward for the Dees? Sure. Why not? Wouldn’t that be great  

Posted (edited)

Pre trade most players have a medical. 

The fitness department give each player an off-season fitness/dietary program, not the coach. 

Re May, it looks like someone(s) at mfc dropped the ball and I don't think it was Goodwin.    

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The fitness department give each player an off-season fitness/dietary program, not the coach. 

Re May, it looks like someone(s) at mfc dropped the ball and I don't think it was Goodwin.    

At his age, it was May that dropped the ball. He has been in the system long enough to know better. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 11:48 AM, Diamond_Jim said:

Goodwin owns the gameplan which has to rank as the worst or at least the worst executed in the league.

Which begs the question is it the plan or the execution.  Though you need to either adapt your plan to the players or develop the player to execute the plan.  Based on his comments, where are still developing the players.

Heard the Ox, Robbo and Matt Granland this afternoon on radio it was quite interesting. Granland was making the point that in most big sports around the world Goodwin would have been sacked with the year we have had. Lucky for Goodwin he signed a new deal at the start of the year and to pay him out would go in the salary cap. Ox said his head would be on the chopping block next year if things don’t improve. Hard to argue with that really.

Lucky for Goodwin there's  Pert

Ive changed my view on Pert

Hes obviously  an idiot

Would love to hear from Pert & president .. I know they spoke earlier during the year but at what stage do they address their members & discuss the disastrous season & what their plans are.. the silence is deafening!

9 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Of course it is. We are 2nd last on the ladder and couldn't hit the side of a barn - Week after week after f*****g week

3rd qtr we were 6 goals 9 from set shots, Eagles 5 goals straight. That is the game right here,. 

We are our own worst enemy because we have idiot footballers who continually cannot hit targets or score goals.

So it's not Goodwin's fault were 17th, it's the players?

9 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

BS metric eh, so I will make it plain for you

9th

4th

17th.   Finals one year out of three.  Not good enough after a previous 3 year re build which Goodwin was part of. No one is saying burn the place down. Why would you say that. No one is calling for his head. Some, like me are expressing doubt in his ability, just like we doubt the ability of some players and officials at the Club.

Of course it's a BS metric, a team could go 18th, 1st, 8th and you'd call it a failure because they had an average ladder position of 9th even though they'd won a flag. Average ladder position,come on.

You might not be calling for his head or wanting to burn the place down and start again but others on here obviously do and I thought you were one of them. Apologies if that's not the case, you are allowed to criticise and have doubts I just don't see the point in agitating for the coaches head and creating instability for the club. The same people who posted at the start of this thread and looked silly by Sept 18 will be looking silly again next year when they look back and see what they've posted here the last couple of months

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

Demon 17.

According to his great info from a senior coach by the Prelim the boys were exhausted. That is the most pathetic of pathetic excuses I have ever heard. And as for learning lessons from the Bulldogs, they won a flag in Beveridges second year.

It was clear to anyone who watched, the team was cooked. The season went one week too long for us last year. It happens, especially to young teams.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

Demon 17.

According to his great info from a senior coach by the Prelim the boys were exhausted. That is the most pathetic of pathetic excuses I have ever heard. And as for learning lessons from the Bulldogs, they won a flag in Beveridges second year.

I think you’re underestimating how poor our high performance fitness team is. It’s the worst in the league and has us at the back of the pack. The new appointment can’t come quick enough.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

So it's not Goodwin's fault were 17th, it's the players?

Well actually more their fault than his. 

If we kicked only some of the gimmes we missed this year, we would have another 3-4 wins and despite injuries, crap umpiring etc, would be challenging for the 8.

We, the 17th placed team, with no forward line, should have beaten last year’s premiers by 5 goals last Sunday,  except for the worst kicking for goal I have ever seen. For that matter in a similar game a few weeks ago in Perth, we should have beaten them too, but for once again atrocious goal kicking. We threw away the Crows game and maybe the Dogs game in the same manner. 

In all of those games we were undermanned, lost more players during the game, copped terrible umpiring and yet the Coach got the team in a winning position, while not missing a kick at goal himself. 

I am not a Coach apologist, but fair is fair. If our players weren’t the worst goal converters in recorded stats history, we would still be a finals chance and probably not discussing the Coach.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

But if it gives people a chance to lay the boots into Goodwin, please don't interfere with logic 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pennant St Dee said:

But if it gives people a chance to lay the boots into Goodwin, please don't interfere with logic 

The same people who get stuck.into Goodwin often make mention of his press conferences.

I guess it's each to their own but coach-speak rules with the pressers.  They'll either tell you want to you want to hear or say very little at all.

I don't generally watch pressers but I'm thinking Goodwin falls into the latter category.  Neeld's pressers were in a world of their own and DB spoke very well from what I've been told

But it all matters not to me as I judge a coach on how the team plays on the weekends.  Right now,  I'd like Goodwin to address and fix our conversion rates in front of goal. 

Our players need to be coached more than managed.  Actual coaching.  Get him a whole bunch of new assistants and coach the players on how to adhere to the basics.  And that includes kicking actions with regards to the biomechanics.

We probably need at least 2 full time skills coaches.  Maybe even 3.  But many still talk about only having a part-time goal kicking coach.  The sport has gone ahead in leaps and bounds in other areas but the skills have dropped off.  There's a reason why players can't hit targets and it's not just our club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Well actually more their fault than his. 

If we kicked only some of the gimmes we missed this year, we would have another 3-4 wins and despite injuries, crap umpiring etc, would be challenging for the 8.

We, the 17th placed team, with no forward line, should have beaten last year’s premiers by 5 goals last Sunday,  except for the worst kicking for goal I have ever seen. For that matter in a similar game a few weeks ago in Perth, we should have beaten them too, but for once again atrocious goal kicking. We threw away the Crows game and maybe the Dogs game in the same manner. 

In all of those games we were undermanned, lost more players during the game, copped terrible umpiring and yet the Coach got the team in a winning position, while not missing a kick at goal himself. 

I am not a Coach apologist, but fair is fair. If our players weren’t the worst goal converters in recorded stats history, we would still be a finals chance and probably not discussing the Coach.

I agree. I think there's something to be said for the game style impacting our effectiveness around goal (so many times we seem to run it right up to the goal square but just can't find a free player to actually take the kick!)

But when players are missing set shots that's down to them not the coach. In those types of games (such as Sunday and vs Crows) the coaches have done the job of devising a gameplan that gives us the opportunity to kick a winning score. When the players stuff that up due to skill errors the coach can't cop the heat

1 minute ago, Macca said:

The same people who get stuck.into Goodwin often make mention of his press conferences.

I guess it's each to their own but coach-speak rules with the pressers.  They'll either tell you want to you want to hear or say very little at all.

I don't generally watch pressers but I'm thinking Goodwin falls into the latter category.  Neeld's pressers were in a world of their own and DB spoke very well from what I've been told

But it all matters not to me as I judge a coach on how the team plays on the weekends.  Right now,  I'd like Goodwin to address and fix our conversion rates in front of goal. 

Our players need to be coached more than managed.  Actual coaching.  Get him a whole bunch of new assistants and coach the players on how to adhere to the basics.  And that includes kicking actions with regards to the biomechanics.

We probably need at least 2 full time skills coaches.  Maybe even 3.  But many still talk about only having a part-time goal kicking coach.  The sport has gone ahead in leaps and bounds in other areas but the skills have dropped off.  There's a reason why players can't hit targets and it's not just our club.

Kicking technique AND kicking into space for your teammate to run on to instead of dropping it on their head.

Brett Ratten would have us playing better football than Goodwin within a few weeks at the helm.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Kicking technique AND kicking into space for your teammate to run on to instead of dropping it on their head.

Yesterday I saw 3 players in a row kick short to a teammate who was only 15 metres away.  Each time the chance to mark and reset was gone because we couldn't make the distance.

Spatial awareness,  yips,  nerves,  call it what you will but that failure to hit a target would be unacceptable even at suburban level.

But the players who have great kicking actions rarely miss so it has to be a technique issue.  Salem is a good example.  He's a lovely kick and he rarely misses a target.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Macca said:

The Eagles are very skillful, it is down to a fine art, they do minimum drills (half a dozen) repetitively and they have a very small range for error. Simpson is massive on it. 

It took a while to kick in but it really stands out on Optus now

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trout said:

Heard the Ox, Robbo and Matt Granland this afternoon on radio it was quite interesting. Granland was making the point that in most big sports around the world Goodwin would have been sacked with the year we have had. Lucky for Goodwin he signed a new deal at the start of the year and to pay him out would go in the salary cap. Ox said his head would be on the chopping block next year if things don’t improve. Hard to argue with that really.

If this were the NBA he would have been gone mid-season.