Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

13 hours ago, ding said:

With a better pre-season Melbourne will have a more successful 2020 than their previous season, but due to it’s ongoing lack of a potent forward line (and an overall lack of depth) will still fail to make finals  

Goodwin will, fairly or unfairly, get shown the door.

Thread closed  

Goodwin certainly had one of his better days yesterday in what has been a dismal season for him. Finally moving Fritsch forward, the Lewis move, Brayshaw back in the middle, C.Wagner with a license to cover some ground, and Gawn spending time forward were all worthwhile.

As much as I would have liked us to be a bit more daring in the last quarter (eg May to full forward), we didn't lose the game in the coaches box this week. Inept goal kicking, lazy defending and poor decision making were much more significant factors.

The last time Goodwin showed any sort of innovation was against Richmond in round 6, and he went back in his shell the following week. Hopefully he continues to throw the magnets around over the next month.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Average ladder position is a BS metric. Sure this year has been terrible and Goodwin shoulders some of the blame but to dump it ALL on him is plain dumb.

2017 was disappointing not terrible. We probably underachieved by a week in 2017 (should have made 1st week of finals) and overachieved in 2018 (should've made 2nd week of finals).

This year might be the dip we had to have but all the posters on here ready to burn the place down and start again without giving the FD/Coach and team another offseason and season to prove this is an aberration are quite frankly acting on emotion rather than reason.

BS metric eh, so I will make it plain for you

9th

4th

17th.   Finals one year out of three.  Not good enough after a previous 3 year re build which Goodwin was part of. No one is saying burn the place down. Why would you say that. No one is calling for his head. Some, like me are expressing doubt in his ability, just like we doubt the ability of some players and officials at the Club.

4 hours ago, beelzebub said:

The irony..

Enough is Enough

Well said Simon.....you can see yourself out .....take your mates...

I heard the same comment from Goodwin earlier in the season...

His post match press conferences are so predictable...same tired old footy cliches.

Dreat article on new recruit May in todays Age. It reads that he was hung out to dry by Goody and the club for a lousy 2km time trial and skinfolds. It is clear that between the time we recruited May and the time trial no one at the club-Goody had bothered to have a chat with him about the role he was to play and the condition he needed to be in. At Gold Coast he played a bit heavier to match the competition gorillas. It turned out we wanted him to play a more mobile role. And when the  .... hit the fan in the media following the time trial MFC did nothing to defend our prized recruit. Shameful. 

1 hour ago, Mel Bourne said:

With a better pre-season Melbourne will have a more successful 2020 than their previous season, but due to it’s ongoing lack of a potent forward line (and an overall lack of depth) will still fail to make finals  

Goodwin will, fairly or unfairly, get shown the door.

Thread closed  

A forward line of:

HF:  Petracca - McDonald - Hannan

FF:  Melksham - Weideman - Fritsch

Looks relatively potent to me, although one of those might have to go up the ground to accommodate a stay at home small forward.  Four of those are currently injured, or have struggled since coming back from injury, so we have plenty to add to that part of the ground.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Dreat article on new recruit May in todays Age. It reads that he was hung out to dry by Goody and the club for a lousy 2km time trial and skinfolds. It is clear that between the time we recruited May and the time trial no one at the club-Goody had bothered to have a chat with him about the role he was to play and the condition he needed to be in. At Gold Coast he played a bit heavier to match the competition gorillas. It turned out we wanted him to play a more mobile role. And when the  .... hit the fan in the media following the time trial MFC did nothing to defend our prized recruit. Shameful. 

Ha ha, this is the worst summary of an article I've ever seen.  Here is the one he is talking about:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/steven-may-s-long-road-back-20190719-p528rx.html

No one hung him out to dry and, in fact, May says that he is grateful to Goodwin.  Look at this bit here: 

May is grateful that Goodwin not only challenged him but joined him. He didn't send him to the naughty corner to train alone. Goodwin was beside him at the gym for extra weights and bike sessions. He went to games of footy with him. If May wanted to do more, the coach would do it with him

Don't listen to this poster, he isn't worth your time.

Edited by Wiseblood
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

Ha ha, this is the worst summary of an article I've ever seen.  Here is the one he is talking about:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/steven-may-s-long-road-back-20190719-p528rx.html

No one hung him out to dry and, in fact, May says that he is grateful to Goodwin.  Look at this bit here:  Don't listen to this poster, he isn't worth your time.

May is grateful that Goodwin not only challenged him but joined him. He didn't send him to the naughty corner to train alone. Goodwin was beside him at the gym for extra weights and bike sessions. He went to games of footy with him. If May wanted to do more, the coach would do it with him

Don't listen to this poster, he isn't worth your time.

Yes that is a small selective part of the article, I encourage readers to read the whole article. May copped a media storm and Goodwin never stood up for him and said, we erred in our communication with Steven in our expectations for him for the coming season. Sure he helped him at the gym. Big b deal. we do not pay a coach to stand and hold senior players hands at the gym when all he had to lose was 3kg to be assessed as fit. yes 3 kilios. I could lose that in 2 weeks on Roosy manshakes. Finally you are free to ignore my posts but do me a favour and do not tell others to not listen to me. They can make that decision for themselves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Yes that is a small selective part of the article, I encourage readers to read the whole article. May copped a media storm and Goodwin never stood up for him and said, we erred in our communication with Steven in our expectations for him for the coming season. Sure he helped him at the gym. Big b deal. we do not pay a coach to stand and hold senior players hands at the gym when all he had to lose was 3kg to be assessed as fit. yes 3 kilios. I could lose that in 2 weeks on Roosy manshakes. Finally you are free to ignore my posts but do me a favour and do not tell others to not listen to me. They can make that decision for themselves.

He copped a media storm because he was unfit.  For a senior player, and one we paid a high price for, that's unacceptable.  That's on him, not the club.  How can we stand up for that?  He was told to lift his game and he has.  End of story.

And they'll make the decision not to listen to you without my help.  Trust me on that.

• Like 2

He copped a media storm because he was unfit.  For a senior player, and one we paid a high price for, that's unacceptable.  That's on him, not the club.  How can we stand up for that?  He was told to lift his game and he has.  End of story.

And they'll make the decision not to listen to you without my help.  Trust me on that.

Did you note the meeting he had with Goody and Viney, one day before pre season training and that time trial. I stand by what I said about the Clubs pathetic communication in this instance. Yes the player is responsible for getting fit but if you except that then you say the palyer is responsible for his own skill set, running, kicking, handballing. What you do not get is nowhere does it say that May was given the standards required for the start of pre season training. Basic, basic stuff I remember given to Under 19 players more than 40 years ago. At the beginning of pre season we expect.......in your time trial and .....in your skinfolds.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Did you note the meeting he had with Goody and Viney, one day before pre season training and that time trial. I stand by what I said about the Clubs pathetic communication in this instance. Yes the player is responsible for getting fit but if you except that then you say the palyer is responsible for his own skill set, running, kicking, handballing. What you do not get is nowhere does it say that May was given the standards required for the start of pre season training. Basic, basic stuff I remember given to Under 19 players more than 40 years ago. At the beginning of pre season we expect.......in your time trial and .....in your skinfolds.

The bloke wasn't fit.  As a senior player, who has been in the system a long time, he should understand the expectations on him.  It shouldn't need to be spelled out.  Even Gold Coast expected his skin folds to be under 60, which they weren't when he arrived at the club.  That's on him.  He should know that he needs to be in shape over the break, and he wasn't.

But, I digress.  You're looking at ways to pot the club and you'll stop at nothing to do so.  Good luck with that. 

• Like 5

The bloke wasn't fit.  As a senior player, who has been in the system a long time, he should understand the expectations on him.  It shouldn't need to be spelled out.  Even Gold Coast expected his skin folds to be under 60, which they weren't when he arrived at the club.  That's on him.  He should know that he needs to be in shape over the break, and he wasn't.

But, I digress.  You're looking at ways to pot the club and you'll stop at nothing to do so.  Good luck with that. 

Has been doing it ever since he has started posting.

Don't bother.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

No one hung him out to dry and, in fact, May says that he is grateful to Goodwin.  Look at this bit here: 

If there is anything to take from this, it's that Goodwin is the man. Real leadership is putting the arm around when it's needed but also giving a genuine shirt front to get the response required. And then not only did he challenge him, but he went with him the whole way. That's culture building and it builds respect between the coach and players. 

• Like 7

We have won 5 games and sit below Carlton on the table!!! 

This is nothing short of a disgrace....Goodwin should be on the hot seat or out of the seat at seasons end.

image.thumb.png.1e198e4bdab54c8edd25b584349fc3f7.png

• Haha 1

I am all for Goodwin stepping up to training with May. 

But i am still Gobsmacked at the lack of communications between the Club and Steven after he was drafted and before he arrived. 

I would have expected at least an email with strict guidelines as to what is expected on arrival. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demon17 said:

My thoughts also. Compare the 98 and 99 seasons.

98 - 14 wins and 102%

99 - 6 wins and 80% finishing bottom 3.

GF in 2000

I don't remember the vitriol on here towards the great Neale Daniher.

Some on this site need to grow up and accept coaching is a long term issue and if we fall into sacking coaches after 3 seasons then the club has learnt nothing from Richmond, bulldogs,  etc.

Fix the back office re: fitness , forward coaching and teaching goal kicking . That's the issue. Goodwin took a young team to heroics in August/Sept. last year and they were exhausted by the prelim (according to a senior assistant off the record to me). As shown by the first half score. I agree with many the Misson has a lot to answer for.

I'm with Goodwin. But serious off season decisions needed also . Especially de-listings.

I suspect that might be because Demonland didn't exist back in 1999.

If it did, it would likely have gone berserk.

1 hour ago, Sorry kids said:

BS metric eh, so I will make it plain for you

9th

4th

17th.   Finals one year out of three.  Not good enough after a previous 3 year re build which Goodwin was part of. No one is saying burn the place down. Why would you say that. No one is calling for his head. Some, like me are expressing doubt in his ability, just like we doubt the ability of some players and officials at the Club.

There are plenty of people doing both of those things.

• Thanks 1

I’m not Goodwin’s biggest fan, but his handling of May has been exemplary.  And it shows in May’s output. 

• Like 4

Demon 17.

According to his great info from a senior coach by the Prelim the boys were exhausted. That is the most pathetic of pathetic excuses I have ever heard. And as for learning lessons from the Bulldogs, they won a flag in Beveridges second year.

5 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I’m not Goodwin’s biggest fan, but his handling of May has been exemplary.  And it shows in May’s output. 

His pre season communication was lacking.

This is not the first time Goodwin has had a communication problem.

1 hour ago, Dee Watcher said:

We have won 5 games and sit below Carlton on the table!!! 

This is nothing short of a disgrace....Goodwin should be on the hot seat or out of the seat at seasons end.

image.thumb.png.1e198e4bdab54c8edd25b584349fc3f7.png

And one game behind Sydney and no call for that Horse's head. I have been as upset as anyone at some of the game day coaching (or lack thereof) but I am prepared to cut him slack this year. We have had possibly the worst run of injuries of any club coupled with a draw that predicted us being in the top 4.  That said I understand others hold a different view given our terrible record this year.  However, I think its unforgivable that our kicking skills are so bad. Any kick within 30 and the v should be a certainty for any AFL standard player. It should be clockwork. I am reminded of the English Rugby player Johnny  Wilkinson (i think) who just went out and practiced until he virtually never missed. Viney is the worst offender and if he is a true leader he should work tirelessly to fix his kicking.  We also dont kick to advantage well  which would lessen the impact of our poor kicking. So we need a kicking coach as embarrassing as that is to admit. I'd also like to see Roos back as a consultant to Goody. 

• Like 1

goodwin's got to go. taking 17 weeks to put fritsch forward just demonstrates he's got no clue. 

his costly turnover demonstrated even more that he needs to be inside 50m. he's a different player around the goals.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

The thread title always strikes me as sounding like lyrics of a New Kids On the Block song. 

Is Goodwin the right guy? Babyy. I say it with a heavy heart (the right coach?)

Edited by John Demonic
  • Haha 1

No! Melbourne shouldn't "wait and see" either. If we/they believe that there is a 'window' we absolutely can't waste any more time - let's cut ties and move on sooner rather than later.

Posted (edited)

I'm bemused by people wanting Goodwin to go this year or next year if we don't have a good first few months.

So, who should replace him?:

• working premiership coaches are tied up in L-T contracts. 
  • previously sacked coaches,
  • struggling in-contract coaches (Pyke (2020), Hinkley (2021), Lyon (2020)),
  • retired coaches - I hear Malthouse wants to go around again! 
  • Roos, would love it but he won't come back as a medium/long term coach
  • another untried coach with training wheels?

So, no thanks, I'd rather keep Goodwin.  I've seen enough in recent weeks to believe he will get there with better people around him.

Wait and see what the assistant coaching changes are over the next few months.  If they are half decent we will make the 8 next year. 

If we did let Goodwin go, you could bet the Crows will snap him up in a heartbeat!  And we get left with who?

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well I am sticking fat with Goodwin. This year may be the kick in the guts he needs. Will know better by the end of next year.

• Like 5