Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

6 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Third year as a coach, five years in a senior role. Moving toward  the end of his third year we are 17th place and back where it all began under Roos.. If you average the three years- 9th, 4th, 17th  the average is 10th place. Perhaps grossly is a stretch but none of us would have settled for an average of 10th place when we had the Roos-Goodwin handover sold to us. A crystal ball tells me 10th would be about right for us next year too.

What a crock of [censored]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

How so?

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How has he grossly underperformed? Do you think we should have won a premiership in his first 2 seasons? If so it's your expectations that need to be re-evaluated, not the coach.

This year has been bad. Bad all round and some readjustments need to be made in the offseason. But he's earnt the right to be given the benefit of the doubt for one season, especially consideri g the diabolical state of our injury list.

Missed finals in first year with a round 23 performance that goes down as one of the most embarrassing chokes of the 21st century. Not to mention at the time it was considered "one of the upsets of the year". Collingwood were paying $5. we didn't lay a tackle for the first 20 minutes and let a Pies team with nothing to play for end our season as Buckley embarrassed Goodwin by structuring a team around a one-dimensional gameplan that was easy to catch out.

Fast forward 12 months and Adam Simpson handed Goodwin and Melbourne one of the most lobsided Prelim final embarrassments of all time. If not for a second half shift to first gear we'd have lost by 150 points.

But a pass Goodwin shall earn for getting us that far. Granted it was a fun end to the year excluding the Prelim. I'll give him a Spud-Frawley-circa-2001 pass for that one given our 2019 is akin to Richmond's pathetic 2002.

End of the day, we sit 17th on the ladder, 75% of the way through his third year as senior coach, unofficially his fourth year as gameday coach. 

There has been many a bump in the road this year, granted, but good coaches carry damaged teams. He has performed poorly this year. As have many players within the team, no doubt. But the lower down we finish, the less time he has. Giving him until round 10 next year is generous. He's incredibly lucky because 2019 has been a far greater disgrace than you or a few others are prepared to admit. From player management to game day selection to game plan and match day coaching. His coaching portfolio has more or less been tarnished.

7 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Actually, dont bother answering my question. Not interested in your opinion. 

Just now, Sorry kids said:

Actually, dont bother answering my question. Not interested in your opinion. 

I wasn't going answer your "question".. as i said it was a crock of [censored].

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, praha said:

Pressure, folks.

Earlier this week, King said there was now pressure on his job. Someone mentioned on Monday that "over the past 48 hours we've learned" that his job was under pressure. Can't remember who it was.

He's been comfortable thinking of a long term contract, and talking positivity of a team that's underperforming. 

Coincidentally, a week after some in the media say pressure has risen, he gets worked up in a press release after yet another lose in yet another winnable game.

This is it, folks. 

In the words of Percy Wetmore...

"Dead man walkin'. We got a dead man walkin' 'ere."

I forget who said it but it's a great quote..... There are only 2 kinds of coaches.

Those that are fired and those who are waiting to be fired.

Media love a story. But truth is hell have to start winning if he wants to survive.

Can't afford losing seasons (even if the competition is so bloody close)

He’s got us competing and he’s as sick of us losing as everyone involved in the club is

Our effort is there but we don’t convert our opportunities 

Our players absolutely choke under pressure 

• Like 2

Pressure needs to be on him as it’s a disaster , if you consider teams like hawks just continue to reinvent themselves.... 3 teams have sacked their coaches & they have won more games. We get far too many easy goals scored against us. Game plan is in question here. 

• Like 2

Had a good day in the box today, coached well and unlucky not to get the result.

Lewis to McGovern was a good move...

For the most part our ball movement forward took their marking defenders out of the game with the exception of a few brain fades.

We changed our game plan & became very unpredictable.

Would like to see more of this Goody.

Brayshaw to Yeoh another smart move.

The move of May forward for a couple of minutes before half time was a masterstroke.

Viney down along with that free kick probably cost us in the end. Not to mention the goal kicking. Did I mention the goal kicking.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Committed players and a good coach find a way, look at Hawthorn. Which one don’t we have, or is it both? 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Committed players and a good coach find a way, look at Hawthorn. Which one don’t we have, or is it both? 

Look at Hawthorn, why? They are scraping along mid table with a team of experienced players who have played in much the same way for years now and their current injury report is Mitchell and that's about it from their best 22.

They had 11 guys who had played over 150 games today. We had 2 - Lewis and Jones. They had 9 guys under 100 games, we had 15!

They beat a Geelong team that's been struggling since the bye and did it at their home ground. We travelled to a neutral venue to play the reigning premiers who have been in really good form.

This year has been awful but I don't think comparing it with out sides is really that useful. The sides that have been consistently good have really strong and reproducible game plans. Goodwin's working hard on ours, but it's going to take some quality and experienced players to find that consistency. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Would have thought "enough's enough" should have come about 6 rounds in when we'd only won 1 game and had been smashed in half the games, rather than after round 18 when we're 17th on the ladder.

It would if we were a good club. It would if we were a more demanding club. It would if we had genuine hunger for success.

But no, this is the group that doesn't review games, cancels anything that's too hard and rolls out the 'that one will burn' cliche whenever needed despite never backing it up.

Couldn't care less about Goody's 'emotion' or lack thereof, is that our latest alternative scoreboard? How much emotion Goody shows? Geez we have low expectations now don't we.

It should have come at half time against Port Adelaide.

• Like 2

The irony..

Enough is Enough

Well said Simon.....you can see yourself out .....take your mates...

2 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

It should have come at half time against Port Adelaide.

What, when we were 3 points down?

You're advocating for major change after two quarters of football (one of which was pretty good!), the year after a prelim?

I'm exceptionally glad you're not in charge of the club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, rjay said:

Had a good day in the box today, coached well and unlucky not to get the result.

Lewis to McGovern was a good move...

For the most part our ball movement forward took their marking defenders out of the game with the exception of a few brain fades.

We changed our game plan & became very unpredictable.

Would like to see more of this Goody.

Brayshaw to Yeoh another smart move.

The move of May forward for a couple of minutes before half time was a masterstroke.

Viney down along with that free kick probably cost us in the end. Not to mention the goal kicking. Did I mention the goal kicking.

Mention the goal kicking Please?

Campbell Brown quoted that he had never played Traeger Park but on viewing the curtain raiser game he knew that you had to aim at the left hand goal post to ensure success

Guess what, 3 or 4  Melbourne players  attempted goals in the first quarter and they didn't aim for the left hand post. Now if a commentator sitting watching can work it out why the hell can't a Melbourne player. More examples of really dumb footy on display all afternoon. I'm starting to feel sorry for Goodwin who I don't  rate really but fancy having to deal with this sort of dumb footy every week.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kent said:

Guess what, 3 or 4  Melbourne players  attempted goals in the first quarter and they didn't aim for the left hand post. Now if a commentator sitting watching can work it out why the hell can't a Melbourne player. 

Hell, given Vineys kicking he could have been aiming for the left behind post and he'd still nearly hit the right behind post

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Mention the goal kicking Please?

Campbell Brown quoted that he had never played Traeger Park but on viewing the curtain raiser game he knew that you had to aim at the left hand goal post to ensure success

Guess what, 3 or 4  Melbourne players  attempted goals in the first quarter and they didn't aim for the left hand post. Now if a commentator sitting watching can work it out why the hell can't a Melbourne player. More examples of really dumb footy on display all afternoon. I'm starting to feel sorry for Goodwin who I don't  rate really but fancy having to deal with this sort of dumb footy every week.

The forward coach should have been on to it. Surely they would have had a chance to take shots before the game while warming up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

Third year as a coach, five years in a senior role. Moving toward  the end of his third year we are 17th place and back where it all began under Roos.. If you average the three years- 9th, 4th, 17th  the average is 10th place. Perhaps grossly is a stretch but none of us would have settled for an average of 10th place when we had the Roos-Goodwin handover sold to us. A crystal ball tells me 10th would be about right for us next year too.

Average ladder position is a BS metric. Sure this year has been terrible and Goodwin shoulders some of the blame but to dump it ALL on him is plain dumb.

2017 was disappointing not terrible. We probably underachieved by a week in 2017 (should have made 1st week of finals) and overachieved in 2018 (should've made 2nd week of finals).

This year might be the dip we had to have but all the posters on here ready to burn the place down and start again without giving the FD/Coach and team another offseason and season to prove this is an aberration are quite frankly acting on emotion rather than reason.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

He’s got us competing and he’s as sick of us losing as everyone involved in the club is

Composure comes with maturity and experience.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

10 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

My thoughts also. Compare the 98 and 99 seasons.

98 - 14 wins and 102%

99 - 6 wins and 80% finishing bottom 3.

GF in 2000

I don't remember the vitriol on here towards the great Neale Daniher.

Some on this site need to grow up and accept coaching is a long term issue and if we fall into sacking coaches after 3 seasons then the club has learnt nothing from Richmond, bulldogs,  etc.

Fix the back office re: fitness , forward coaching and teaching goal kicking . That's the issue. Goodwin took a young team to heroics in August/Sept. last year and they were exhausted by the prelim (according to a senior assistant off the record to me). As shown by the first half score. I agree with many the Misson has a lot to answer for.

I'm with Goodwin. But serious off season decisions needed also . Especially de-listings.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just want to put the stake in the ground - where it has always been for me.  I thought we'd be competitive against West Coast and the vital signs were very good.  We have been competitive since the bye and the coaching staff has made some tweaks and experimented well with resources at hand.  We'll have a productive off-season as usual bringing in necessary talent and will have a better run with fitness over that period.  I'm drinking to Kool-Aid - we'll bounce back with a vengeance next year and Simon Goodwin will lead this group of players to a flag over his tenure.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

I’m not sure getting us “competing” is much of a plaudit. 

It’s a competition and we’re registered as one of the competitors. 

And I’m sure you’ve noticed that we’re officially the second-least competitive club in the league, and if it weren’t for a fledgling club that is viewed with nothing short of pity by the game’s followers, we’d be the least.

Edited by Mel Bourne
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Unleash Hell said:

You asked...

It's not all doom and gloom, but its all In the eye of the beholder.

You guys are right about one thing though. If he doesn't start winning again, he will be gone.

The offseason is going to be very improtant

Of course it is. We are 2nd last on the ladder and couldn't hit the side of a barn - Week after week after f*****g week

3rd qtr we were 6 goals 9 from set shots, Eagles 5 goals straight. That is the game right here,. 

We are our own worst enemy because we have idiot footballers who continually cannot hit targets or score goals.

• Like 1