Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

1 hour ago, Dee Watcher said:

So outside of North/Carlton/Saints most of the above are going better than we are.

Yes that's true.

As disappointed as I get when we lose a game - as for reasons outlined here previously - 2019 was always going to be difficult.

Irrespective of our win loss record this year - I would still rather our list, with Goodwin (and a few personnel changes in the FD and list obviously).

2019 is not indicative of where and how the club would play if 90% were up full and functioning throughout the preseason...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

I'm happy for Goodwin to stay if:

- we can see evidence of him acknowledging where he's gone wrong in the past.

- he's willing to admit he's made basic game-plan errors in the past, and is developing new approaches (in consultation with the asst coaches and leadership group).

- he shows some goddamn passion. I'm getting tired of the dead-eyed smirks and gentle admonishment of nobody in particular after losses, when the supporters are enraged and in some degree of existential pain.

- he starts showing some genuine initiative mid-match when things aren't going our way, or look to be in danger. The amount of times we've seen the game-plan remain in one piece while everything falls to [censored] around it this season is simply unacceptable.

I'm not of the opinion the club needs further instability right now, but the supporters need to see some hard evidence that the club is doing it's utmost to repent for what has been an embarrassing, deflating season. 

There is evidence that he does all of those things you ask of him @Mel Bourne  - I'll try and find some evidence throughout the next few days.

Just on the 'goddamn passion' bit - Brad Scott showed goddamn passion - I'd hate it if Goodwin acted like that. Fine to privately critique - but to publicly single out players, or get overly frustrated in a public sphere makes him and the club look unhinged.

He's a measured man, don't mistake that for not caring.

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Unleash Hell said:

Whats the point of you contributing if you have a one sided viewpoint.

Also what would a long time MFC supporter know about success or how to build success.

This threat is where sanity comes to die.

Its one sided ....just like our "Success"  It is what it is...

Im not about to say  go you Good Goodwin ) other than out the door ) as I simply dont rate him. Some suggest all is well if he sees the error of his ways.  The club isnt about Goodwin...its about the jumper, the actual success of the team etc. Goodwin, Mahoney, Mccartney..etc etc are all just paid servants of the club. Win or lose at the moment they still rake it in. Id be happy to see them off I truly would.  Theyve had their shot..it's failed. Go!!

If you want to change an outcome ( and speaking of sanity ..as Einstein suggests you have to change the input ) then we need a radical shift.  The players are only trying to implement a game-plan /style/brand call it what you will thats handed to them by the 'Brains Trust "

It's my concerted opinion that they are invariably not only played in a fashion that is unsustainable and only marginally worthy of any sane implementation at best  but that the whole tenet of our game is counter intuitive to about 90% of players.

How does anyone know of success ??  A good question. But first you must accept that many of us have lives/work/ businesses/interests away from football. I.e  Football, or the supporting of such ,  does not define our individual abilities.  I like many here have managed quite ok in life. If id applied the methods of this club to my private life Id be bankrupt. It's because I'm not, like many others, that there is some cause to think that those who can see with clarity in things non football might bring to bear some of their ideas  to it.

Ive spent most of my working life in two areas....  IT..Systems and Networks....and in Building.   Both fields of endeavour are built upon ( npi ) a good working knowledge and the implementation of sound and workable designs.  If it's stuffed on the drawing board it is never going to fly  off of it !!.  Here  I go back to my , all but signature concern; we lose by design. The Architects are bereft of a good design. Our game falls over..and over ...and over.

So yes it's a one sided view. I like things that don't fall over. That's been my training. Unless we change out tack we will chase our tails and repeat, repeat, repeat.   If the same people are in charge I can see NO reason why they as a group are about to change wholesale their approach. If they were to then surely it would have happened by now.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Im not about to say  go you Good Goodwin ) other than out the door ) as I simply dont rate him. Some suggest all is well if he sees the error of his ways.  The club isnt about Goodwin...its about the jumper, the actual success of the team etc. Goodwin, Mahoney, Mccartney..etc etc are all just paid servants of the club. Win or lose at the moment they still rake it in. Id be happy to see them off I truly would.  Theyve had their shot..it's failed. Go!!

If you want to change an outcome ( and speaking of sanity ..as Einstein suggests you have to change the input ) then we need a radical shift.  The players are only trying to implement a game-plan /style/brand call it what you will thats handed to them by the 'Brains Trust "

It's my concerted opinion that they are invariably not only played in a fashion that is unsustainable and only marginally worthy of any sane implementation at best  but that the whole tenet of our game is counter intuitive to about 90% of players.

How does anyone know of success ??  A good question. But first you must accept that many of us have lives/work/ businesses/interests away from football. I.e  Football, or the supporting of such ,  does not define our individual abilities.  I like many here have managed quite ok in life. If id applied the methods of this club to my private life Id be bankrupt. It's because I'm not, like many others, that there is some cause to think that those who can see with clarity in things non football might bring to bear some of their ideas  to it.

Ive spent most of my working life in two areas....  IT..Systems and Networks....and in Building.   Both fields of endeavour are built upon ( npi ) a good working knowledge and the implementation of sound and workable designs.  If it's stuffed on the drawing board it is never going to fly  off of it !!.  Here  I go back to my , all but signature concern; we lose by design. The Architects are bereft of a good design. Our game falls over..and over ...and over.

So yes it's a one sided view. I like things that don't fall over. That's been my training. Unless we change out tack we will chase our tails and repeat, repeat, repeat.   If the same people are in charge I can see NO reason why they as a group are about to change wholesale their approach. If they were to then surely it would have happened by now.

Well said. It is like the guy who runs into the brick wall and fails to make it fall, only to run harder the next time. When we have goals against us you can see our mids just run faster and harder at the next contest and if they get it kick it faster and harder without any plan.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, beelzebub said:

BB a very worthy measured view

Thanks for that.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Goodwin's position was structured similarly to IT service delivery; 

1) BRS: Business requirements completed, peer reviewed and endorsed (all stakeholders)

• What do we need to achieve in each individual area of footy

2) PSD: Proposed solution document, peer reviewed and endorsed by architectural board (FD)

• Conceptual mechanisms to meet BRS

3) HLD: High level design, peer reviewed and endorsed by architectural board (FD)

• High level design of mechanisms to meet BRS

4) DD: Detail/low level design, peer reviewed and endorsed by architectural board (FD)

• In depth design of how the mechanisms will operate in practice to meet BRS

5) Test plan created, peer reviewed and endorsed by engineering teams (line coaches)

• List of pass/fail items to observe during development cycle

6) Implementation plan, peer reviewed and endorsed by engineering teams (line coaches)

• Run sheet of exactly how the changes will be implemented on game day 

7) Pre-production implementation, test cases/pen test completed and reviewed (Casey Demons)

• Test new design in Casey (obvious problem that Casey doesn't reflect MFC in personnel) 
  • Penetration test - actively seek to find holes in the design and re-mediate 

8 ) Production implementation/Go-live (round 1) (MFC)  

• Go live - new systems implemented on round 1, 2020

9) BAU ... 

• Constant review of design
  • System patching (trade period)
Edited by Smokey
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

There is evidence that he does all of those things you ask of him @Mel Bourne  - I'll try and find some evidence throughout the next few days.

Just on the 'goddamn passion' bit - Brad Scott showed goddamn passion - I'd hate it if Goodwin acted like that. Fine to privately critique - but to publicly single out players, or get overly frustrated in a public sphere makes him and the club look unhinged.

Fair points, well made. 

I suppose I’m trying to address the almost-bewildering feeling a disappointed and exhausted fan experiences post-siren, when watching the defeated players grinning n’ chatting with the victors, and then hearing those ultra-measured cliches at the press conference afterward about nothing in particular. Amid all of this calmness, one sometimes can’t help feel like one is losing one’s friggin’ mind. I guess, like politicians, I could do with some straight-talk. 

“Yeah look, we’re trying our guts out but we really need a good small forward at the moment. It doesn’t help either that we f$&ked our pre-season up so much. Maybe some of those players would’ve been ok without the surgery in hindsight. Basically this year’s been equally cursed and poorly-managed. Sorry about that”. 

21 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Yes that's true.

As disappointed as I get when we lose a game - as for reasons outlined here previously - 2019 was always going to be difficult.

Irrespective of our win loss record this year - I would still rather our list, with Goodwin (and a few personnel changes in the FD and list obviously).

2019 is not indicative of where and how the club would play if 90% were up full and functioning throughout the preseason...

Mate so 2019 isn't indicative of where the club is at? Then what should be judge it on? 

Recent results is what you judge footy clubs on not past performance otherwise hell based on the 1950's we are in good shape

1 hour ago, Smokey said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Goodwin's position was structured similarly to IT service delivery; 

1) BRS: Business requirements completed, peer reviewed and endorsed (all stakeholders)

• What do we need to achieve in each individual area of footy

2) PSD: Proposed solution document, peer reviewed and endorsed by architectural board (FD)

• Conceptual mechanisms to meet BRS

3) HLD: High level design, peer reviewed and endorsed by architectural board (FD)

• High level design of mechanisms to meet BRS

4) DD: Detail/low level design, peer reviewed and endorsed by architectural board (FD)

• In depth design of how the mechanisms will operate in practice to meet BRS

5) Test plan created, peer reviewed and endorsed by engineering teams (line coaches)

• List of pass/fail items to observe during development cycle

6) Implementation plan, peer reviewed and endorsed by engineering teams (line coaches)

• Run sheet of exactly how the changes will be implemented on game day 

7) Pre-production implementation, test cases/pen test completed and reviewed (Casey Demons)

• Test new design in Casey (obvious problem that Casey doesn't reflect MFC in personnel) 
  • Penetration test - actively seek to find holes in the design and re-mediate 

8 ) Production implementation/Go-live (round 1) (MFC)  

• Go live - new systems implemented on round 1, 2020

9) BAU ... 

• Constant review of design
  • System patching (trade period)

Or we could just copy the Tigers game plan of 2017.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dee Watcher said:

Mate so 2019 isn't indicative of where the club is at? Then what should be judge it on? 

Recent results is what you judge footy clubs on not past performance otherwise hell based on the 1950's we are in good shape

This , to me , highlights the vast difference between theory and reality. A lot of folk here make some excellent points. All things going well, on a good day, should have us far higher up the ladder according to the many. I can see how that argument works.Truly. However, exactly as you surmise DW that is not the reality . Where we are is exactly the real State of Affairs, warts and all.

We cant very well interject with a....but if-only.  For surely that trump card would/should be available to all .

We are exactly where we ought to be because this is where we have put ourselves. For those that would still have us differently adjudged if only for the availability of this or that player you really then only need to go to the reasons this or that player isnt available. It's highly likely it has something to do with how we play the game. Our attrition is a result of our style and our resultant position is a product of our attrition.

We've run ourselves into the ground.We did it all by ourselves. Take a bow  MFC

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 7:44 AM, beelzebub said:

Fascinating isn't it.

What has become of all the blowhard apologists ? Where are the usual suspect bully boys with their condescending rhetoric ? Skiing perhaps ? Wish I was. That's enjoyable.

What isn't is having to just watch on as we plummet further into an abyss of our own making.

I told you ages ago Badloss wasn't up to it ...not as the senior coach. That he got in under false pretense but the Koolaiders were already too numerous with their diarrhetic retorts.

We've assembled a New Boyz club of coaching. Their intent was a hard it Gladiatorial game. This style had no class, no pinache, no tempo and no ability to bend to the game at hand.

This coaching panel ran our lot into the ground last season and we haven't recovered. We actually never will under this pilotage. The stewardship is flawed. 

I've said for a long while our losing is not accidental. It's by design. We don't plan to lose but we have no working plan to win.

As long as the status quo remains in the box , well, quite frankly we're [censored]. Not only that but talented players are being made to play counter intuitive football. It's crucifying anyone with skill.  We burn players at the MFC. How unnecessarily stupid.

Jackson was a very accomplished administrator, but his forte was NOT football. Once Roos was blindsided and he and his entourage left the void was cunningly filled by the New Boyz. They've nestled in quite well.

Until they go we're stuffed. Until they go more players will be wasted and injured without real reason.

Fantastic & honest analysis.

Spot on & by far the most accurate description I have read re Goodwin & his crew.

Well done BB.

We won't know of the true impact and reasoning behind 2019 until halfway through 2020.

That said if we finish bottom 2 or even last, I can't see Goodwin recovering from that. Few coaches do. Especially in their third season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mel Bourne said:

“Yeah look, we’re trying our guts out but we really need a good small forward at the moment. It doesn’t help either that we f$&ked our pre-season up so much. Maybe some of those players would’ve been ok without the surgery in hindsight. Basically this year’s been equally cursed and poorly-managed. Sorry about that”. 

Perfectly said :) - Pin it to your fridge, in bold 108 font.

On 6/30/2019 at 7:06 PM, doc roet said:

Sack Goodwin and put in Jane Bunn.

That is the best suggestion I have heard all season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, praha said:

We won't know of the true impact and reasoning behind 2019 until halfway through 2020.

That said if we finish bottom 2 or even last, I can't see Goodwin recovering from that. Few coaches do. Especially in their third season. 

It makes the decision to renew his contract before the season even started look ordinary. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, praha said:

Praha...prior to the season's commencement the industry touted us as top 4. Indeed not that we might be...that we ought to be and if not...well..

If we finish last or next to ??  I'd have to say anything below the top 8 is an abject failure...bottom four ought to invoke Seppuku.

I know many have a different view, but i wouldnt be me without my own  ( lol ). On the matter of tenure.  Goodwin has been at the club since late 2014. His 15 season was to watch and observe and be a sponge. 16 he was handed day game duties. 17 he goes solo.

This is effectively his 4th year running the game for us......and we're going backwards. Yes there are reasons...but at the risk of the grammar gestapo arresting me there are reasons for those reasons and they all come out of the FD/coaching box.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dee Watcher said:

I mustn't have been clear enough  - the context of why we are where we are matters greatly, that's why I for one am disappointed for the season, and not freaking out about the future under the guidance of Goodwin et al.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Narrow argument if you are quoting Brad Scott for passion. You mistake passion for anger if that is the case. In truth Goodwin shows a very narrow range of emotions but what do you expect of a coach who got the job on a one hour interview with one person, Roos based on his take on culture, and not game plans and other virtues. Goodwin, talented , well built footballer, no team success as a captain, assistant at essendon during drug scandal period, successor to Roos. Stinks to high high heaven 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Narrow argument if you are quoting Brad Scott for passion. You mistake passion for anger if that is the case. In truth Goodwin shows a very narrow range of emotions but what do you expect of a coach who got the job on a one hour interview with one person, Roos based on his take on culture, and not game plans and other virtues. Goodwin, talented , well built footballer, no team success as a captain, assistant at essendon during drug scandal period, successor to Roos. Stinks to high high heaven 

Mmmm, I used but one example re: B.Scott - I can get exhaustive if you like @Sorry kids.

You'd also be making some massive assumptions about how he operates as a media performer vs outside of that space if you think that that is his 'emotional range'.... and then conflating that with how and why he got a job, which also implies nil due diligence in the recruitment process. 

Tell me more about the 'stinks to high heaven' statement...what is meant by that? Roos and Goodwin are in a boys club? Jobs for the lads? Or something a bit more sinister?

An aside - in your opinion did it stink to high heaven last September against Geelong, Hawthorn?

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Mmmm, I used but one example re: B.Scott - I can get exhaustive if you like @Sorry kids.

You'd also be making some massive assumptions about how he operates as a media performer vs outside of that space if you think that that is his 'emotional range'.... and then conflating that with how and why he got a job, which also implies nil due diligence in the recruitment process. 

Tell me more about the 'stinks to high heaven' statement...what is meant by that?

An aside - in your opinion did it stink to high heaven last September against Geelong, Hawthorn?

Just read this EO - are you in the inner sanctum?

If so, any feedback on Frost and May going at it from the coaches' point of view?

1 minute ago, Engorged Onion said:

Tell me more about the 'stinks to high heaven' statement...what is meant by that?

You make it clear you are a supporter of Goodwin, good for you. I do not believe in him or his game plan or game day strategy. That does not mean he is hopeless, he obviously learnt a lot in his career prior to coming to us. I say you overestimate his ability. As for last year we got on a roll and of course got excited with a game plan that was never going to hold up when the pointy end came. 

Finally due diligence,  Assistant at Essendon during drug scandal, say no more.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

If so, any feedback on Frost and May going at it from the coaches' point of view?

[censored] fantastic IMO. No way the coaches would've brought it to attention.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

No, not in this inner sanctum @jumbo returns - no info on that.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

You make it clear you are a supporter of Goodwin, good for you. I do not believe in him or his game plan or game day strategy. That does not mean he is hopeless, he obviously learnt a lot in his career prior to coming to us. I say you overestimate his ability. As for last year we got on a roll and of course got excited with a game plan that was never going to hold up when the pointy end came. 

Absolutely fine your standpoint also @Sorry kids in reference to gameplan/game day strategy. I think it's not working due to injuries/rehab etc etc..

It's interesting, I used to be anti Goodwin because of his link to Essendon - I seem to have softened in that last 2-3 years. 

I just disagree that because of his link, that you (read anyone) can be so black and white, and think that people can't evolve, change ethic, grow (whatever you wish to call it)... as in, he and anyone within Essendon at the time, should under no circumstances be employed in the AFL.

17 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

That's an interesting statement - as I believe Goodwin has always come from the point of view of playing finals style football (WOOT! BRAND: CONTEST OUT! WOOT!) throughout the entire season. 

AND - as a good coaching team would do, recruit pieces of the puzzle along the way... ie: now it's time for outside run.

• Like 1