Dees2014

Is Goodwin the right guy....

19 hours ago, DeeZee said:

I’m prepared to write  off this year due to a lot of things not going our way, but if we find ourselves having another poor season next year then the pressure wil be well and truly on for Goodwin.

I really would think that the pressure is on Goodwin right now, and has been building for at least two years to this point of disappointment in his recuperation of the MFC onfield.

We have had a series of insurmountable problems this year, true and fair enough to a minimalist extent.

Goodwin was selected for his football knowledge and allegedly, for some capacity to impart that knowledge through skills and strategic game alterations. This is really what is in question, now.

His game plans have confused and are routed quite easily with consistency; and,  he has no better way of transferring those skills beyond such confusion and grief for the players and the supporters (and his employers - the Members). His footy experience and knowledge - and his modus operandi - relate to a time in the evolution of the game that is nearly 20 years past, when rules were significantly different and player profiles were entirely different.

The game has evolved considerably in which antiquated applications stubbornly applied obviously no longer fit the desired performance standards. If the Club cannot recognise this, the Club may as well disappear. We do not field teams to lose up to 70% of our games on the promises of yesterday. It seems, in perpetuity, so much footballing talent and effort has been wasted, and we need to shut the valve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mel Bourne said:

😬

Rolling your eyes at what exactly  ?

34 minutes ago, Deemania since 56 said:

I really would think that the pressure is on Goodwin right now, and has been building for at least two years to this point of disappointment in his recuperation of the MFC onfield.

We have had a series of insurmountable problems this year, true and fair enough to a minimalist extent.

Goodwin was selected for his football knowledge and allegedly, for some capacity to impart that knowledge through skills and strategic game alterations. This is really what is in question, now.

His game plans have confused and are routed quite easily with consistency; and,  he has no better way of transferring those skills beyond such confusion and grief for the players and the supporters (and his employers - the Members). His footy experience and knowledge - and his modus operandi - relate to a time in the evolution of the game that is nearly 20 years past, when rules were significantly different and player profiles were entirely different.

The game has evolved considerably in which antiquated applications stubbornly applied obviously no longer fit the desired performance standards. If the Club cannot recognise this, the Club may as well disappear. We do not field teams to lose up to 70% of our games on the promises of yesterday. It seems, in perpetuity, so much footballing talent and effort has been wasted, and we need to shut the valve.

He was also the fall back option, after Dew, who didn’t take the job.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Rolling your eyes at what exactly  ?

That’s not an eye-roll but anyway...

Your definition of a straw man argument is wrong, not to mention barely legible. 

Goody was hand picked by Roos so he could look like he cared on his way out the door. Only Melbourne would have a six year plan that involved the key bloke only being there for three. Roos was like a thief in the night and I dont care what anyone says. Yeah he helped us at a low ebb as a commercial enterprise, not out of any passion. How he could pick an untried coach from the Essendon drug period escapes me. And who else as a coach ever gets to pick their successor, not many. Right now I would be happy for the Club to go to Casey permanently and make a break from the past. 

Bagging Goody is not the answer. He must be persuaded that his game plan and the accountability of the players are not good enough.

If he can change he may still surprise us all.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

People in the AFL have short memories, suggesting the players don't care and can't win big games. Were they watching last year when we won two massive games at the G??

It's soooo obvious that the poor pre-season and long injury list has killed us all year. Yes, Goodwin needs to refine our gameplan a little, but if we go and sack him it would be a terrible idea and set us back again.

Get a grip people, we are having a poor season in a year where there are literally no easy games. Oh and btw check out the Lions injury list, they've got like two players out and have had that all year.

No doubt about it our injuries have been a large part of our downfall.

The issue for me is the other things thhat have contributed.  Mainly players like tmac, hibberd,Viney,gus, having shocking seasons. Even jetta b4 injured was bad this year.

Also we have way too many who wont show consistency  in Weid, omac, garlett, hunt, wagners, anb and 3 or 4 others.

Also Goody is very slow to change things that are not working if at all. 

I would argue a quarter of our list should go. No small ammount.

Edited by leave it to deever

I only thing I dont like about goodie is his press conferences. he needs to take ownership of his cr@p the team is. I think fans get more frustrated because he sits there seemingly unaware of how much a basket case we are.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Goody was hand picked by Roos so he could look like he cared on his way out the door. Only Melbourne would have a six year plan that involved the key bloke only being there for three. Roos was like a thief in the night and I dont care what anyone says. Yeah he helped us at a low ebb as a commercial enterprise, not out of any passion. How he could pick an untried coach from the Essendon drug period escapes me. And who else as a coach ever gets to pick their successor, not many. Right now I would be happy for the Club to go to Casey permanently and make a break from the past. 

Haha talk about someone being triggered right about now.. ☝️

• Like 1

FWIW Caro reported on Sports Today this evening that for the first time she is hearing some disquiet "amongst supporters et al." about Goodwin being under the pump.

I think we can take it as read that Caro does not frequent Demonland.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

This club better play out of their skins in 2020.  No point in another season of despair, I’ve got to the stage in life where it’s now or never for the club I have passionately supported for decades.  I am fatigued with failure and this clubs losing culture.  Goodwin has next year to sort it out or join the conga line of failed coaches at the MFC.  Life is too short and this club fails so many generations of supporters.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tiers said:

Bagging Goody is not the answer. He must be persuaded that his game plan and the accountability of the players are not good enough.

Well what a indictment  on Goodwin that you say he must be persuaded to change his style. So someone needs to tell him its the wrong way to go about things. And then of course he needs to come up with a new game style. Which he has not been able to come up with from now. Not even a plan b for when a side gets a run on.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, rolling fog said:

FWIW Caro reported on Sports Today this evening that for the first time she is hearing some disquiet "amongst supporters et al." about Goodwin being under the pump.

I think we can take it as read that Caro does not frequent Demonland.

Interesting, as much as a cow she is, she always has the good oil. Wonder if she means general Dees supporters or ex players?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tiers said:

He is too stubborn from all appearances

I for one would be greatly surprised 

40 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Interesting, as much as a cow she is, she always has the good oil.

We need to milk her for more information. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3936987

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

We need to milk her for more information. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3936987

Udders may think she she is just stirring the pot.

Saying injuries and our pre season are the determinants of currently being the second worse team in the comp (via percentage) is a cop out.) All team have injuries but they find a way. If we were say 7 - 6 then yes maybe that acceptable but hello where currently only better than the Suns. Look at Bulldogs they won a premiership with injuries. Getting players fit wont fix our deplorable skill levels; forward line pressure to tackle and a one paced mid field. The recruiting in the last couple of years has been average. Look at North they go out and get West Coast recruiter and chasing a premiership coach that called proactive. What do we do nothing.

Full marks to those who put Demonland podcasts on but seriously is it sponsored by the Melbourne football club. Everything on the show re failure is put down to injuries and the only post read support this view. Nothing contrary is ever read out and those who state the bleeding obvious that we are terrible are hysterical. Last year is constantly referenced but the cards seriously fell our way until we were showed up for our deficiencies brutally. This list and coaching structure at best are bottom of the eight we are light years from being in premiership contention and last years top four finish in some respect is the worse thing that could have happened as it completely overrated us.

1 hour ago, SFebes said:

Interesting, as much as a cow she is, she always has the good oil. Wonder if she means general Dees supporters or ex players?

Do we really need to use this kind of perjorative.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Pejorative. We need to be accurate. Demonland is where the internet gets its spelling lessons!

17 hours ago, Sorry kids said:

No...not so much hand picked as handed to him.

This never went the way it was meant.

41 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Yes I do and can, that's my opinion and it isn't my problem you don't like it, enjoy your day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deesprate said:

Saying injuries and our pre season are the determinants of currently being the second worse team in the comp (via percentage) is a cop out.) All team have injuries but they find a way. If we were say 7 - 6 then yes maybe that acceptable but hello where currently only better than the Suns. Look at Bulldogs they won a premiership with injuries. Getting players fit wont fix our deplorable skill levels; forward line pressure to tackle and a one paced mid field. The recruiting in the last couple of years has been average. Look at North they go out and get West Coast recruiter and chasing a premiership coach that called proactive. What do we do nothing.

Full marks to those who put Demonland podcasts on but seriously is it sponsored by the Melbourne football club. Everything on the show re failure is put down to injuries and the only post read support this view. Nothing contrary is ever read out and those who state the bleeding obvious that we are terrible are hysterical. Last year is constantly referenced but the cards seriously fell our way until we were showed up for our deficiencies brutally. This list and coaching structure at best are bottom of the eight we are light years from being in premiership contention and last years top four finish in some respect is the worse thing that could have happened as it completely overrated us.

We finished fifth last year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Skin Deeamond said:

We finished fifth last year.

There is an anomaly in the ladder if the preliminary final teams can finish out of the top 4. Even the premiers can finish 8th. I think we were top 4 last year and WCE finished above Richmond

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TRIGON said:

Pejorative. We need to be accurate. Demonland is where the internet gets its spelling lessons!

Thanks for that.

Not its civility lessons, though, evidently.

Edited by Superunknown